Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Aurora apparently meant as much to Taylor as it does to us.  One of the first tracks he ever recorded.  
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,612
    edited March 2022
    I love this performance of Cold Day in the Sun on Letterman
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,613
    edited March 2022
    to Sean buncha numbers: next time you feel the need to post on this subject, or anything related to it... don't?
    Just a suggestion.
    Post edited by Go Animal on
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:
    No doubt a talented drummer and he was much respected by his peers. However, since yesterday I've been reading no shortage of apologists and people in denial that the guy actually overdosed.  It is what it is.  Unlike many of the music greats we have lost in recent time, I'm not ready to crown him immortal status because unlike the others he was simply the drummer. 
    I'll do ya one better...  Let's just say Cobain never died and it was business as usual for X amount of years and Foo Fighters never formed.  Dave Grohl as badass as he is on the pots and pans was just the drummer in that band.  Before anyone gets butt hurt over that we aren't talking about his resume since but are looking Nirvana only as if nothing happened after. Pretty much the same thing going on here. 
    Your words simply show how little you know and understand about band dynamics.  I suppose Neil Peart was "just the drummer" of Rush? I suppose Charlie Watts was "just the drummer" of the Rolling Stones?

The importance and "essential-nature" of any given musician in a band depends COMPLETELY on those particular band roles and dynamics.

Yes, in the majority of bands, the drummer is not considered a lead member or a key member in terms of how the audience perceives the band. Unless you're Phill Collins and you're both the drummer and the lead.

But HOW the music gets made, what the band dynamics are... Take the Dave Matthews Band, they lost/ousted (don't start the argument here!) a founding member a couple of years ago but have gone on.  The reasons they could and would are varied.  But the role their drummer Carter plays in the band and has always played in the band, if he left or something happened to him, I guarantee you that would be the end of DMB.

Doesn't matter if you like DMB or not, there are a zillion examples of bands where the drummer - whether obviously to the casual fan or more behind the scenes in the making of the music and the band chemistry - is ESSENTIAL.  

So your comment on Taylor Hawkins being "just the drummer" is just you admitting you're clueless about the dynamics in this band but also in so many bands in rock history.  And that's ok, it's human to be clueless.  Just know that it shows.

And everything I just said is true without even touching the fact that in 2001 when Taylor OD'd and was in a coma for 2 weeks, Dave Grohl was by his bedside pretty much the whole time.  As in... Taylor Hawkins was a WHOLE LOT MORE to Dave Grohl than "just his drummer" and no one knows what it means to lose your best friend (Grohl's own words many times) as well as one of the few people you delighted in having as your drummer when you, yourself, are considered one of Rock's best drummers.
    Totally agree. We were just talking about this yesterday. I've seen DMB 65 times. And when LeRoi died back in 2008, as devastating as it was for everyone, the band was able to continue. But if it had been Carter, there's no way. And I think Taylor is an even more integral part of Foo than Carter is to DMB. Hell, he's half the band's identity at this point. Even though he wasn't even there at the very beginning, they're not Foo Fighters without him.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    I agree . Keep it respectful.  Like ive said  ive never  listened to FF or any of T.H work  but i can feel and see the  love for the man.
    Its ok to not be a fan but to have respect  and care for those hurting 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • edited March 2022
    So years ago I met Taylor at a bar in LA called the Cat & Fiddle, which itself is no longer there. Super chill, funny, happy go lucky guy. Not that note of sadness that some former addicts carry, and not a crazy party guy either. Really outgoing and happy to talk with anyone, tell stories and happy to hear stories from others. Obviously had his demons but none were apparent. My best to his family.
    Post edited by Wellwater Conspiracy on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    edited March 2022
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:
    No doubt a talented drummer and he was much respected by his peers. However, since yesterday I've been reading no shortage of apologists and people in denial that the guy actually overdosed.  It is what it is.  Unlike many of the music greats we have lost in recent time, I'm not ready to crown him immortal status because unlike the others he was simply the drummer. 
    I'll do ya one better...  Let's just say Cobain never died and it was business as usual for X amount of years and Foo Fighters never formed.  Dave Grohl as badass as he is on the pots and pans was just the drummer in that band.  Before anyone gets butt hurt over that we aren't talking about his resume since but are looking Nirvana only as if nothing happened after. Pretty much the same thing going on here. 
    Your words simply show how little you know and understand about band dynamics.  I suppose Neil Peart was "just the drummer" of Rush? I suppose Charlie Watts was "just the drummer" of the Rolling Stones?

The importance and "essential-nature" of any given musician in a band depends COMPLETELY on those particular band roles and dynamics.

Yes, in the majority of bands, the drummer is not considered a lead member or a key member in terms of how the audience perceives the band. Unless you're Phill Collins and you're both the drummer and the lead.

But HOW the music gets made, what the band dynamics are... Take the Dave Matthews Band, they lost/ousted (don't start the argument here!) a founding member a couple of years ago but have gone on.  The reasons they could and would are varied.  But the role their drummer Carter plays in the band and has always played in the band, if he left or something happened to him, I guarantee you that would be the end of DMB.

Doesn't matter if you like DMB or not, there are a zillion examples of bands where the drummer - whether obviously to the casual fan or more behind the scenes in the making of the music and the band chemistry - is ESSENTIAL.  

So your comment on Taylor Hawkins being "just the drummer" is just you admitting you're clueless about the dynamics in this band but also in so many bands in rock history.  And that's ok, it's human to be clueless.  Just know that it shows.

And everything I just said is true without even touching the fact that in 2001 when Taylor OD'd and was in a coma for 2 weeks, Dave Grohl was by his bedside pretty much the whole time.  As in... Taylor Hawkins was a WHOLE LOT MORE to Dave Grohl than "just his drummer" and no one knows what it means to lose your best friend (Grohl's own words many times) as well as one of the few people you delighted in having as your drummer when you, yourself, are considered one of Rock's best drummers.

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??
    Totally don't care if you think nothing of DMB as a band. The point is about how important any given drummer is or isn't in the basic functioning of any given band. And your comment proves you know almost nothing about it in general, and definitely not re: the Foo Fighters.  Which is fine. The fact that you don't like certain bands is completely unrelated to whether your point is valid or not.  Your ignorance of it how band dynamics and specific people's roles in the band - both musical, creative, and other social dynamics & leadership -  is what invalidates your point.  Not your perception of which bands are worth paying attention to in a conversation.

FWIW the “Neil who” was a joke to my username.
    I did totally miss that joke connected to your name, I guess that's a Rush reference? I didn't catch it. But somehow I knew you were joking overall, cuz not many here would have no idea who Neil Peart was, especially in a drummer convo. But thank you for clarifying, totally missed it, now wondering the reference and will try to figure it out!

.Lerxst is the nickname of Alex Lifeson, the Rush guitarist (and my avatar is supposed to be Mike’s guitar, so 2 of my fave guitarists side by side). Although there are a couple rushheads on here that get the Lerxst reference, part of the joke is that’s it’s obscure reference (Rush and PJ are very different styles/fanbases ). So it’s a Rush fan pretending to not know who Neil Peart was (Rush drummer). 

RIP Neil, RIP Taylor, both losses so tragic.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    So years ago I met Taylor at a bar in LA called the Cat & Fiddle, which itself is no longer there. Super chill, funny, happy go lucky guy. Not that note of sadness that some former addicts carry, and not a crazy party guy either. Really outgoing and happy to talk with anyone, tell stories and happy to hear stories from others. Obviously had his demons but none were apparent. My best to his family.
    That’s awesome.  Never heard a bad word about him honestly.  Just a cool dude.  
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    Yeah, this is terribly sad news. 
    I was listening to a Taylor Hawkins memorial on SXM over the weekend. Lots of good memories on there of him.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,610
    I agree . Keep it respectful.  Like ive said  ive never  listened to FF or any of T.H work  but i can feel and see the  love for the man.
    Its ok to not be a fan but to have respect  and care for those hurting 
    It’s the internet.  It’s easy to be an asshole behind a screen.  
  • This one hurts. First time I saw Taylor live was at Summersault 2000 in Halifax. Great memories of that one. So terribly sad for his family and friends :(

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• JABKJABK Posts: 347
    Joe Strummer said it best: You're only as good as your drummer...RIP Taylor...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,114
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I would guess that this is the end of the Foo Fighters for awhile (obviously), but we are looking at multiple years off I would guess...

I do think the guys will eventually move on to honor the music and the legacy of Hawkins and Foo Fighters will come back strong.  

This is a huge punch to the balls of rock and roll though.
    ^^^^Just one more reason why Liam Gallagher is one of the coolest.  
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    Was lucky enough to see Taylor perform multiple times with Foo Fighters, with Alanis, and I think even with Sass Jordan at a festival with Bryan Adams.. In the 90's I worked at a fancy hotel and the first major celebrity I checked in was Alanis. I also checked in Taylor. While I didn't know who he was at the time, other than the drummer for Alanis, I have a strong memory of him. He had a really unique look. A true rock star. A couple years later the Foo Fighters stayed at the hotel and I met Taylor again. i also helped Dave with his car rental and walked with Nate to their tour bus to get something. They were all incredibly nice. Heartbreaking to think that I'll never see him perform again. Maybe the same for the Foos. A really loss. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    halv said:
    Was lucky enough to see Taylor perform multiple times with Foo Fighters, with Alanis, and I think even with Sass Jordan at a festival with Bryan Adams.. In the 90's I worked at a fancy hotel and the first major celebrity I checked in was Alanis. I also checked in Taylor. While I didn't know who he was at the time, other than the drummer for Alanis, I have a strong memory of him. He had a really unique look. A true rock star. A couple years later the Foo Fighters stayed at the hotel and I met Taylor again. i also helped Dave with his car rental and walked with Nate to their tour bus to get something. They were all incredibly nice. Heartbreaking to think that I'll never see him perform again. Maybe the same for the Foos. A really loss. 
    It is neat that you got to interact with them when they were "normal people" versus their public persona that 99% of people only get to see.  
  • madhat181madhat181 Posts: 372
    Taylor was a great guy. Got to meet him during the Sonic Highways show at Irving Plaza in NYC. Nothing can compare to seeing a huge band in a small venue. RIP Taylor
  • For those of you who have Sirius or still have your free sub on the trial basis after listening to the Earthlings Beacon shows, check out the Stern Show from today.  Howard spent about 20 minutes talking about Taylor, playing old clips from their previous interviews, sharing stories and he did confirm conversing with Dave after Taylor's passing.  Worth a listen.  And yes, he goes for about a half hour to start the show talking about the Chris Rock thing from last night.

Rest in Peace, Taylor Hawkins.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m368TBhQXps  From the Stern Show today.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    MayDay10 said:
    I would guess that this is the end of the Foo Fighters for awhile (obviously), but we are looking at multiple years off I would guess...

I do think the guys will eventually move on to honor the music and the legacy of Hawkins and Foo Fighters will come back strong.  

That's how I feel.  Taylor became a huge part of the band, but there's 5 other members of the band?   It's the dilemma other bands get.   Dave Grohl had lightening strike twice, being in 2 big rock bands, but most people are lucky to get 1.  I would guess if they dissolved foo fighters,  they'd all do other projects or solo careers, but seeing Arena/Stadium level success might be hard to do.  They toured so much you'd have to think the band loves to tour, so it's got to be a gut punch if that comes to a grinding halt.  Losing a friend and loosing your career (that you love).    That sucks a lot.

They're sitting on pile of excellent songs, and a pretty big legacy.   I feel like they'll most likely cancel any near term shows so they can grieve and reassess.  Drummer is huge part of the band, and Taylor was even more.   It won't be the same if they get someone else on the skins, but i also think there's a lot of quality drummers out there.  It wouldn't be the same, but they seem pretty young to let it end.

All tough decisions.   What a tough thing to go through.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Zod said:
    MayDay10 said:

That's how I feel.  Taylor became a huge part of the band, but there's 5 other members of the band?   It's the dilemma other bands get.   Dave Grohl had lightening strike twice, being in 2 big rock bands, but most people are lucky to get 1.  I would guess if they dissolved foo fighters,  they'd all do other projects or solo careers, but seeing Arena/Stadium level success might be hard to do.  They toured so much you'd have to think the band loves to tour, so it's got to be a gut punch if that comes to a grinding halt.  Losing a friend and loosing your career (that you love).    That sucks a lot.

They're sitting on pile of excellent songs, and a pretty big legacy.   I feel like they'll most likely cancel any near term shows so they can grieve and reassess.  Drummer is huge part of the band, and Taylor was even more.   It won't be the same if they get someone else on the skins, but i also think there's a lot of quality drummers out there.  It wouldn't be the same, but they seem pretty young to let it end.

All tough decisions.   What a tough thing to go through.
    Completely agree.   As important as he was, Dave is still the main guy in Foo.  Foo lives on as long as Dave calls the band Foo.   
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    I'm trying to find that Sirius XM (?) interview from a few years ago when Taylor interviewed Soundgarden. So many funny moments...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    if I had to take a guess based on absolutely nothing, I say the Foos are retired for the time being. Until at least Dave is ready to play those songs again, if ever. Maybe a new Them Crooked Vultures record will be next, but it will still be a while I think. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    if I had to take a guess based on absolutely nothing, I say the Foos are retired for the time being. Until at least Dave is ready to play those songs again, if ever. Maybe a new Them Crooked Vultures record will be next, but it will still be a while I think. 
    I think so, too, and I might go so far as to say (also based on absolutely nothing) that they're done done. Taylor Hawkins meant way too much to that band, not just as a musician but as a fucking force of nature, and I just can't see them bringing in a new drummer; he or she might have the chops, but no one else is Taylor Hawkins (and that's before getting into Dave's and his friendship, ugh...). Dave Grohl's favourite band is Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin lost its drummer. I think that's his road map.

The flip side to that: bringing in a new drummer, making Dave the focal point, and touring in memory of Taylor. It'd be similar to what the E Street Band did following the deaths of Danny Federici and Clarence Clemons. The Foos have a lot of songs about living life and starting life over again, and those songs might break them (and us) on the road - but it might also be a path towards healing (imagine hearing "Walk" in a stadium right now? Or "These Days"? Or basically any song from Wasting Light, let alone any other album from their catalogue?). I dunno. I'm way more upset by this than I thought I would be. 
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    NWOntario said:
    I think so, too, and I might go so far as to say (also based on absolutely nothing) that they're done done. Taylor Hawkins meant way too much to that band, not just as a musician but as a fucking force of nature, and I just can't see them bringing in a new drummer; he or she might have the chops, but no one else is Taylor Hawkins (and that's before getting into Dave's and his friendship, ugh...). Dave Grohl's favourite band is Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin lost its drummer. I think that's his road map.

The flip side to that: bringing in a new drummer, making Dave the focal point, and touring in memory of Taylor. It'd be similar to what the E Street Band did following the deaths of Danny Federici and Clarence Clemons. The Foos have a lot of songs about living life and starting life over again, and those songs might break them (and us) on the road - but it might also be a path towards healing (imagine hearing "Walk" in a stadium right now? Or "These Days"? Or basically any song from Wasting Light, let alone any other album from their catalogue?). I dunno. I'm way more upset by this than I thought I would be. 
    me too. I don't know if I said it here or somewhere else, my wife texted me the news Saturday morning. I was like "shitty....(moving along)" but that was about it. Slowly throughout the day it started to bug me. And then I went to a show....the lead singer did an a cappella chorus to My Hero in the middle of one of their songs. I started to fucking cry. And I continued to cry intermittently throughout the damn show. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Really solid cover of My Hero in tribute to Taylor from Wolfgang Van Halen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzsPPTrh1iY
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I'm hoping Dave & Co do what's best for them. My guess is that Foos will continue Fighting at some point. Why? They seem to enjoy touring, multiple people depend on Foo touring income, and I honestly believe Taylor would specifically encourage them to rock on.... using the exact words "rock on". Also, because Dave knows the power of a brand name. 

I remember 20ish years ago, Keith Richards declared that he would never tour without Charlie Watt. At the time, The Wembley Whammer was publicly mulling over retirement, and band sentiment seemed to be NO Charlie =  NO Stones. Post Charlie's death, one tour is complete, another is planned, and the Stones are planning on putting out a new record. Does that mean Dave will go the same way? No, but it's not an uncommon story... the show goes on. 
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    It's hard to imagine Foos live without Taylor, the chemistry between him and Dave was a huge part of their live shows. Even though they have a lot of 'serious' songs, there was always a really upbeat, fun element to their shows, I'm not sure how they could hit that same vibe after this.