Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• sean9769sean9769 Posts: 57
    No doubt a talented drummer and he was much respected by his peers. However, since yesterday I've been reading no shortage of apologists and people in denial that the guy actually overdosed.  It is what it is.  Unlike many of the music greats we have lost in recent time, I'm not ready to crown him immortal status because unlike the others he was simply the drummer. 
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2016 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2016 Temple of the Dog Seattle2
    2017 Soundgarden Detroit   RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2019 Chris Cornell Tribute LA
    2024 Baltimore 

• mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 106
    sean9769 said:
    No doubt a talented drummer and he was much respected by his peers. However, since yesterday I've been reading no shortage of apologists and people in denial that the guy actually overdosed.  It is what it is.  Unlike many of the music greats we have lost in recent time, I'm not ready to crown him immortal status because unlike the others he was simply the drummer. 
    Most ridiculous thing I have read on here in a long time. And that is saying something on here...

"simply the drummer" 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    sean9769 said:
    What 
    sean9769 said:
    I'll do ya one better...  Let's just say Cobain never died and it was business as usual for X amount of years and Foo Fighters never formed.  Dave Grohl as badass as he is on the pots and pans was just the drummer in that band.  Before anyone gets butt hurt over that we aren't talking about his resume since but are looking Nirvana only as if nothing happened after. Pretty much the same thing going on here. 
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2024 Baltimore 

• TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 403
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:
    I'll do ya one better...  Let's just say Cobain never died and it was business as usual for X amount of years and Foo Fighters never formed.  Dave Grohl as badass as he is on the pots and pans was just the drummer in that band.  Before anyone gets butt hurt over that we aren't talking about his resume since but are looking Nirvana only as if nothing happened after. Pretty much the same thing going on here. 
    Completely disagree with your take.  I believe it is disrespectful and uneducated.  Either that, or you need attention.  Best of luck buddy.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited March 2022
    ….
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Maybe this is one reason why PJ doesn’t tour so much.  Easier to stay out of trouble.

Dude had young kids and still doing drugs (obviously addiction is strong).  Should have hired a chaperone to keep him out of trouble. 
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    So much for letting the man RIP.  This thread is getting embarrassing.
    Dude other than busting out a Queen cover nightly present your case of how he was anything more than just a drummer in a very popular band???
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2024 Baltimore 

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,449
    sean9769 said:
    Dude other than busting out a Queen cover nightly present your case of how he was anything more than just a drummer in a very popular band???
    Just this, just that, ridiculous. He was a great drummer and loved by many as I am sure you can tell from social media. Who cares what you “crown” him?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Dude, nobody is putting him on the Mt. Rushmore of rock stars.  Clearly though, based on the level of coverage and outpouring he was very much a beloved musician.  
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    sean9769 said:
    Wow. John Bonham was simply a drummer, too...I guess. Err...
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 651
    Overdosing and dying due to health complications from prolonged drug use, legal and illicit, are different. Terribly sad in either case.

Hope thread gets back on track. Saw Foos a couple of times, most memorably with the Peppers circa 2000. He was hard to take your eyes off, and a huge part of what made the Foos great live.
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    PJNB said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9svpOPyc0

I never got to see him play with The Foo Fighters but he put on an amazing performance last year at Ohana. That last couple of minutes of this song was all him and still gives me chills. Gone way too young. 
    Thanks for the reminder.  My buddy (who was probably going to go with me to see them in LA) thought he missed out on a legend, but your post reminded me that we also saw him at Ohana, with NHC, and of course rocking out on RITFW, flanked by two other Hall of Fame drummers...Matt Cameron and Chad Smith.  That being said...IF the guys wanted to go on (and I hope they do)...I think Chad Smith is the obvious guy to replace Hawkins.  
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited March 2022
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:
    Your words simply show how little you know and understand about band dynamics.  I suppose Neil Peart was "just the drummer" of Rush? I suppose Charlie Watts was "just the drummer" of the Rolling Stones?

The importance and "essential-nature" of any given musician in a band depends COMPLETELY on those particular band roles and dynamics.

Yes, in the majority of bands, the drummer is not considered a lead member or a key member in terms of how the audience perceives the band. Unless you're Phill Collins and you're both the drummer and the lead.

But HOW the music gets made, what the band dynamics are... Take the Dave Matthews Band, they lost/ousted (don't start the argument here!) a founding member a couple of years ago but have gone on.  The reasons they could and would are varied.  But the role their drummer Carter plays in the band and has always played in the band, if he left or something happened to him, I guarantee you that would be the end of DMB.

Doesn't matter if you like DMB or not, there are a zillion examples of bands where the drummer - whether obviously to the casual fan or more behind the scenes in the making of the music and the band chemistry - is ESSENTIAL.  

So your comment on Taylor Hawkins being "just the drummer" is just you admitting you're clueless about the dynamics in this band but also in so many bands in rock history.  And that's ok, it's human to be clueless.  Just know that it shows.

And everything I just said is true without even touching the fact that in 2001 when Taylor OD'd and was in a coma for 2 weeks, Dave Grohl was by his bedside pretty much the whole time.  As in... Taylor Hawkins was a WHOLE LOT MORE to Dave Grohl than "just his drummer" and no one knows what it means to lose your best friend (Grohl's own words many times) as well as one of the few people you delighted in having as your drummer when you, yourself, are considered one of Rock's best drummers.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:
    Your words simply show how little you know and understand about band dynamics.  I suppose Neil Peart was "just the drummer" of Rush? I suppose Charlie Watts was "just the drummer" of the Rolling Stones?

The importance and "essential-nature" of any given musician in a band depends COMPLETELY on those particular band roles and dynamics.

Yes, in the majority of bands, the drummer is not considered a lead member or a key member in terms of how the audience perceives the band. Unless you're Phill Collins and you're both the drummer and the lead.

But HOW the music gets made, what the band dynamics are... Take the Dave Matthews Band, they lost/ousted (don't start the argument here!) a founding member a couple of years ago but have gone on.  The reasons they could and would are varied.  But the role their drummer Carter plays in the band and has always played in the band, if he left or something happened to him, I guarantee you that would be the end of DMB.

Doesn't matter if you like DMB or not, there are a zillion examples of bands where the drummer - whether obviously to the casual fan or more behind the scenes in the making of the music and the band chemistry - is ESSENTIAL.  

So your comment on Taylor Hawkins being "just the drummer" is just you admitting you're clueless about the dynamics in this band but also in so many bands in rock history.  And that's ok, it's human to be clueless.  Just know that it shows.

And everything I just said is true without even touching the fact that in 2001 when Taylor OD'd and was in a coma for 2 weeks, Dave Grohl was by his bedside pretty much the whole time.  As in... Taylor Hawkins was a WHOLE LOT MORE to Dave Grohl than "just his drummer" and no one knows what it means to lose your best friend (Grohl's own words many times) as well as one of the few people you delighted in having as your drummer when you, yourself, are considered one of Rock's best drummers.

Neil who?
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    edited March 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhEW7Qb_DXc

This is the whole Lollapalooza show from Chile the other night.

watch 15 minutes, and tell me hes 'just a drummer'...
    Post edited by alphawolf on
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    sean9769 said:

WOW

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2024 Baltimore 

edited March 2022
    My 1st Foo Fighters show was their very 1st tour ever in '95, with Ed on drums for Hovercraft as 1st support, then Foos playing with the Foos original drummer on drums, all supporting Mike Watt.  But this was pre-Taylor.

I saw the Foos early tours with Taylor Hawkins too, I think '97 & '98. They were really a force of nature of a band from the very start, but Taylor absolutely added something, the dynamic was even more powerful and amazing.  And fun, SO MUCH FUN.

Over the years I've seen the Foos in arenas and at festivals.  After 2 yrs of no shows during the pandemic, I didn't think what my ideal 1st indoor club show would be if I chose, but lucky for me the Universe chose for me. I almost gave up on a ticket to the Foos for a Grohl hometown club show at DC's 9:30 Club. 1200 person capacity, the Foo Fighters, as we emerge from a pandemic & no shows.  Seemed too good to be true.  

But I got a ticket, you had to show proof of vax and stay masked and they enforced it somehow, and wow.  I had no idea how badly I needed a show like that. Cathartic as all hell. I do like the Foos, but I'm not a massive fan.  But I still knew most of the songs and I joined the rabid insanely enthusiastic fan club that night, because they were stellar.  And the energy undescribable.

And Taylor... he looked like he was having SO MUCH FUN! And we got that Queen "Somebody to Love" cover with him on lead vocals center stage, and now I learn in the last 48 hrs that Queen was his inspiration, the 1st time at 10 yrs old he said "I want to be in Queen, I want to play stadiums".

I am so so so very very VERY grateful I got to see them in a club last Sept. Definitely planned to go to more, and will go see their film "Studio 666" in next few days in a theater, as a way to work through this pain and loss.

I understood a long time ago that it doesn't matter how famous, amazing, beloved, or talented someone is.  Those looking in on them from the outside usually have NO IDEA what demons or weights or trauma or hardships may weigh on that person, and why they may indeed be so NOT ok. Struggling so hard.  But mostly it's kept private, for good reason, but sometimes even kept or denied by those closest.  It's so hard in anyone's life, but that much more complex for famous successful people, because the number of people depending on them or leaning on them is amplified.

But it's much more recent that I loudly join the chorus of people saying "WE ALL NEED TO TALK OPENLY ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH! What it means to have it, what it means to struggle with it, the shame we need to get away from, and how to be up front about needing help when we do".  Taylor Hawkins looked like he had it all, and he had so much, and he was constantly and very publicly grateful - beyond grateful - for all he had.  But who knows how much WEIGHT "having it all" put on him, on top of any other trauma or demons or mental health issues he may have had before becoming famous.

Or Chris Cornell. Or Kurt Cobain. Or so many others. Including millions who are not famous but still seen as "the strong ones" or "the "bad" ones" in their families and communities.  All the crap that trauma and then others perceptions of you carries and the way it crushes you..

I just hope Taylor has found some peace now, and I hope his family, friends, band, and particularly his wife and kids and best friend Grohl... I hope they all take care of their own mental health first and foremost in dealing with his loss.  Decisions about the future of the Foos and stuff like that... fuck that, that has to wait for them to be as stable and ok as possible given the circumstances.

Wishing them all, and us all, so much love....
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    Taylor said he had anxiety playing in front of large crowds. Kind of figured some form of drugs was involved since it was pre show.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/taylor-hawkins-interview-foo-fighters-dave-grohl-nirvana-drumming-1327228/amp/
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??
    Totally don't care if you think nothing of DMB as a band. The point is about how important any given drummer is or isn't in the basic functioning of any given band. And your comment proves you know almost nothing about it in general, and definitely not re: the Foo Fighters.  Which is fine. The fact that you don't like certain bands is completely unrelated to whether your point is valid or not.  Your ignorance of it how band dynamics and specific people's roles in the band - both musical, creative, and other social dynamics & leadership -  is what invalidates your point.  Not your perception of which bands are worth paying attention to in a conversation.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Nothing Left To Lose is a desert island record of mine. Will put that on and honor the man and the band. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,785
    GlowGirl said:
    Man, you got everything going for you and still can't kick the drugs.  Very sad.  Catches up to you eventually.    
    Have drugs been confirmed as the cause of death? 
    That's what the unconfirmed reports seem to be saying.  
    I’m not going to pay attention to those reports until the official toxicology report comes out. The NY Post is a rag. 
    THIS.  Wait for the official results. Rags in south america are even worse than the US. Very sad, and who cares about future shows. Why even speculate, Dave lost his best friend. Let the man grieve. Again.
    edited March 2022
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??
    Totally don't care if you think nothing of DMB as a band. The point is about how important any given drummer is or isn't in the basic functioning of any given band. And your comment proves you know almost nothing about it in general, and definitely not re: the Foo Fighters.  Which is fine. The fact that you don't like certain bands is completely unrelated to whether your point is valid or not.  Your ignorance of it how band dynamics and specific people's roles in the band - both musical, creative, and other social dynamics & leadership -  is what invalidates your point.  Not your perception of which bands are worth paying attention to in a conversation.

Save your energy :) Stewart Copeland

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,808
    Nothing Left To Lose is a desert island record of mine. Will put that on and honor the man and the band. 
    He had so much positive energy on stage and was a blast to watch. I feel so much for his family and the Foo family. Nothing Left to Lose is a favorite of mine. Aurora is a is tops on that one. 

edited March 2022
    Get_Right said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??

Damn, totally outed!

I could go so many directions with this but this is about Taylor so, even though he and Dave Grohl have some of the best senses of humor ever... I'll leave it at that. 

That said... I was 90% of what made the Police epic.  Just sayin'....

[I honestly feel that Taylor would approve of this line of discussion, joking or serious throw-down fighting about the value of drummers in bands  <3
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??

FWIW the “Neil who” was a joke to my username.
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??

FWIW the “Neil who” was a joke to my username.
    I did totally miss that joke connected to your name, I guess that's a Rush reference? I didn't catch it. But somehow I knew you were joking overall, cuz not many here would have no idea who Neil Peart was, especially in a drummer convo. But thank you for clarifying, totally missed it, now wondering the reference and will try to figure it out!
    JH6056 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    JH6056 said:
    sean9769 said:
    sean9769 said:

Neil who?
    DMB?  Seriously??

Damn, totally outed!

I could go so many directions with this but this is about Taylor so, even though he and Dave Grohl have some of the best senses of humor ever... I'll leave it at that. 

That said... I was 90% of what made the Police epic.  Just sayin'....

[I honestly feel that Taylor would approve of this line of discussion, joking or serious throw-down fighting about the value of drummers in bands  <3

Our spirits in the material world