Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Nikto said:
    Just saw them play in Geelong here in Australia a few weeks ago, have tickets for the tour here in Nov/Dec. Completely gutted, in shock, can't get my head around it. Such a terrible loss. 

That performance against Buddy makes it a bad weekend all around. 

So sorry for Taylor’s family and friends.
  • NiktoNikto Posts: 135
    Nikto said:
    Just saw them play in Geelong here in Australia a few weeks ago, have tickets for the tour here in Nov/Dec. Completely gutted, in shock, can't get my head around it. Such a terrible loss. 

Luckily I am a Carlton supporter.
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Still struggling to process this to be honest, this one hit hard
  • As a kid I'd set out to try to meet bands.   I randomly accidentally met Taylor 3 times while not doing that.    He was always nice.  Damnit this one sucks. 
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,380
    Just stunning, awful news. RIP.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    Got a text from a friend of mine late last night. Kept hoping he was confused or wrong.  We both loved the Foos.

Binaural, Californication, and There is Nothing Left to Lose will forever be linked to one of the funnest summers of my life (summer of 00). 

So, so, so sad… There has been no shortage of sadness these past few years.  This, on top of everything else….

Thinking of and sending love to his family and loved ones - and most certainly his band mates. 

Love to all.
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    This is so sad. Seemed to be the nicest guy. Heart goes out to his band and family.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    This one hurts almost as much as Chris Cornell's death. Very untimely and unexpected. :disappointed:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • AA295481AA295481 Posts: 108
    I've only seen them twice, in their later years. Both times, Taylor played with such energy, that the rest of the band especially Dave fed off that energy when they played live. Without him I can't vision the band playing with the same energy, He is definately irraplacebable and will be missed.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    RIP. 
    Had no idea he was the drummer for Sass Jordan pre-Alanis. I probably saw him play pre-Foo. 

Can’t imagine what this does to Dave. I’m guessing the show in September probably will be off. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

He survived a heroin overdose and 2 week coma in 2001. That shit ages your heart a ton. 
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I read a news report this morning he had complained to hotel staff of chest pain. But I suppose we’ll find out eventually. 

www.headstonesband.com

• NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    Very sad.  
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    RIP. 
    Had no idea he was the drummer for Sass Jordan pre-Alanis. I probably saw him play pre-Foo. 

Can’t imagine what this does to Dave. I’m guessing the show in September probably will be off. 
    I bet the Foo Fighters continue on and play by September.  These guys won’t want to start from
    scratch at this point in their careers, and Dave won’t want to play Foo songs for the next 20 years without the other guys I imagine.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    RIP. 

I would expect they cancel all existing tour dates, and take time off to figure it out.  I think someone posted an interview where they said they'd stop touring if a band member passed, but I think that's easier said then done.  Foo Fighters tour so much (way more than their peers) that it's pretty evident they like to tour.   Not sure if the rest of the band is ready to call it a day on that.   Yah, they could go to other projects, but I don't think that's quite the same.

But yah... if that were me.. I'd shut 'er down, take time to reassess, and see where I land.  That shit ain't easy.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    RIP. 

I bet the Foo Fighters continue on and play by September.  These guys won’t want to start from
    scratch at this point in their careers, and Dave won’t want to play Foo songs for the next 20 years without the other guys I imagine.  
    Just hope he is getting a lot of support now. He’s probably not even back home yet.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    RIP. 

Just hope he is getting a lot of support now. He’s probably not even back home yet.
    Was just saying to my wife how hard it must be, being so far from home and family right now. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    I was at a party at the Clarence Hotel in Dublin in summer 2002.  I ran into Taylor in the lobby (the Foos were staying there for a nearby show).  We chatted for a bit.  He seemed genuine, nice, and funny.  This is really tough news.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    RIP. 

They may take significant time off, but my money would be on the Foos bravely marching forward. 
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    RIP. 

Just found out today that I actually did see him live. Never saw the Foo's or Alanis. But Sass Jordan played a festival here in 1994, he was on drums during this tour. Don't really remember much about the gig, was there to see Aerosmith mainly.

RIP
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    3days said:
    RIP. 

They may take significant time off, but my money would be on the Foos bravely marching forward. 
    Yeah, it is going to happen.  Part of the natural order of things.  Springsteen lost the big man, Danny, etc....  Very sad at only 50 years old.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    awful 
    danny d
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Very Sad.  RIP

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    RIP Taylor

just watched the video I took at their msg show last year singing “ somebody to love”
    great show, he really belted it out

I know a bunch of people who met him in SoCal over the years, him shooting the shit & even picking up a restaurant bill for someone. Always pleasant

feel terrible for his family
  • 77777777 Posts: 163
    Birds of Satan album is very good.  He rocked the hardest on it.  Saddening.
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Terrible loss, I feel fortunate to see him play a few times. Obviously the Grammy's performance next week is off, maybe they'll do some kind of tribute to him instead.
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    RIP. 

I would find it very hard and awkward for Dave to play in a band called the foo fighters without Taylor...I can’t imagine what he’s going through
    man. The last thing he cares about right now is the foo fighters. He just lost his best friend. 
    Wow just so shocked still. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    edited March 2022
    Nikto said:
    Nikto said:

Luckily I am a Carlton supporter.

Must be encouraged so far.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611
    edited March 2022
    RIP. 

In my opinion the foos are done for the foreseeable future. I think Dave will finally do a full scale nirvana reunion. Maybe do another them crooked vultures record or maybe a solo record. I don’t think he touches the foos for a long time. Taylor was as much of a star of that band as Dave. 

Edit: those that think Dave will carry on, think of it this way. If anything happened to Jeff, stone or mike do you think Pearl Jam would carry on? Hell, I don’t think they would carry on if anything happened to Matt either. If someone chose to retire that would be a different story. 
    Post edited by lowbudgetlush on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    RIP. 

In my opinion the foos are done for the foreseeable future. I think Dave will finally do a full scale nirvana reunion. Maybe do another them crooked vultures record or maybe a solo record. I don’t think he touches the foos for a long time. Taylor was as much of a star of that band as Dave. 

Edit: those that think Dave will carry on, think of it this way. If anything happened to Jeff, stone or mike do you think Pearl Jam would carry on? Hell, I don’t think they would carry on if anything happened to Matt either. If someone chose to retire that would be a different story. 
    Not the same. FF is Dave’s band. Started that way and will always be that way. Pearl Jam, as much as EV might take the lead, isn’t his band. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    He was such a youthful guy that openly loved his rock heroes that it’s pretty nice to see tributes come in from Mick Jagger, Ringo, Metallica, Axl Rose, etc.  
    definitely the real deal.  

even tho this thought comes secondary, I think the Foos are probably done IMO.  Those two were joined at the hip.  The void is too big.