Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

Comments

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    I go to dozens of GA shows every year (or at least I did pre-COVID -- been to a handful in the past month, though) and I think I'm in the middle ground here. I have no problem with someone coming in late and filling in space if there's a reasonable amount to be had. I got to Ohana early on Friday to get up close (ended up with only one row between me and the rail on Mike's side). The woman behind me bitched multiple times to different people about wanting her space even though she had plenty of room around her. Sorry, but if you want to have 3 feet of room around you, don't try to get up close. As rude as it is to push forward into 5 inches of space between people, it's equally rude to bitch at people for not giving you twice as much space as everyone else at a GA show.

Showed up much later on Saturday and walked as close as I could get (which wasn't very close) without bumping into or annoying people. Had just as much fun that night as up close on Friday. There was plenty of space around me Saturday, and it didn't bug me at all when others came up and filled it up. However, the couple who filled in the spot in front of me only to talk incessantly through every song...fuck you. I don't care what kind of show you're at or where you sit/stand, talking through a band's set is the most disrespectful and rude thing you can possibly do to the people around you.
    Oh, I think these are all worse :lol:     :
    • Holding up phone entire time
    • putting some idiot on your shoulders
    • dancing around, smashing into people throughout the whole set
    • farting
    • singing the wrong lyrics to the songs, loudly
    • yelling the same damn song request x50
    • holding up a sign for long periods of time
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Kids at shows?  I can't be the only one, lol...
    Do you think that’s what he meant by “some idiot”?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    if someone were to bring their kid with a shirt that said "Tambourine Bait", I'd at least respect their honesty. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    after night one we went back to the hotel and I couldn't believe how filthy my feet were from walking through the dirt/sand by the GA bleachers all night.  The filth just ran off my legs and feet in the shower.

The next night we noticed a couple that had THREE KIDS with them ranging in age from what looked like 2 to 4 or so.  The parents were standing beside the ADA seating in the sand and the kids were playing in the sand next to them.  They were having a great time but those kids had to have just been completely covered in filth when they left.  They were sitting in it and throwing it at each other all night.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I go to dozens of GA shows every year (or at least I did pre-COVID -- been to a handful in the past month, though) and I think I'm in the middle ground here. I have no problem with someone coming in late and filling in space if there's a reasonable amount to be had. I got to Ohana early on Friday to get up close (ended up with only one row between me and the rail on Mike's side). The woman behind me bitched multiple times to different people about wanting her space even though she had plenty of room around her. Sorry, but if you want to have 3 feet of room around you, don't try to get up close. As rude as it is to push forward into 5 inches of space between people, it's equally rude to bitch at people for not giving you twice as much space as everyone else at a GA show.

Showed up much later on Saturday and walked as close as I could get (which wasn't very close) without bumping into or annoying people. Had just as much fun that night as up close on Friday. There was plenty of space around me Saturday, and it didn't bug me at all when others came up and filled it up. However, the couple who filled in the spot in front of me only to talk incessantly through every song...fuck you. I don't care what kind of show you're at or where you sit/stand, talking through a band's set is the most disrespectful and rude thing you can possibly do to the people around you.
    I have yet to find someone unwilling to be quiet after you call them out.  People are generally very good about it.
    We had some bros at a Foo Fighters show that didn’t stfu even after a quick word… more like we got bullied bc “this is my boy! We’re just so happy to see him!” And they continued on the whole show. 
    This happened to me and my ex-wife at Eddie's solo show in Santa Barbara about a decade ago. Fucking idiots wouldn't shut up, so I finally turned around and asked somewhat politely for them to stop or go elsewhere. Just made things worse, as they then started talking to us about why they should be allowed to talk if they want and how "everyone should be able to enjoy a show the way they please." 

At another show (The Mountain Goats in L.A.), I came very close to getting into a fight with a guy behind me who was clearly just there to flirt with the girl he was with. Wouldn't shut up, and when I asked him politely to go elsewhere, he went to into macho-tough-guy mode. Cool thing was that John Darnielle (lead singer of The Mountain Goats) pointed him out from the stage (it was a solo/mostly acoustic show, so the guy's talking was very apparent) and asked him to stop talking. That made the douchebag finally leave. After the show, I ran into Darnielle in the foyer (he was signing stuff) and he thanked me for confronting the guy, so that was pretty cool
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on all of these:
    • Holding up phone entire time = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • putting some idiot on your shoulders = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • dancing around, smashing into people throughout the whole set = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • farting = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • singing the wrong lyrics to the songs, loudly = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music (sort of) 
    • yelling the same damn song request x50 = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • holding up a sign for long periods of time = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • vomiting = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    I don't know about anyone else, but there's absolutely nothing worse to me than going to a show and not being able to fully listen to the artist because some fucking asshole thinks it's okay that I listen to them talking instead.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    • Holding up phone entire time = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • putting some idiot on your shoulders = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • dancing around, smashing into people throughout the whole set = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • singing the wrong lyrics to the songs, loudly = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music (sort of) 
    • yelling the same damn song request x50 = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    • holding up a sign for long periods of time = annoying, but at least I can still hear the music 
    I don't know about anyone else, but there's absolutely nothing worse to me than going to a show and not being able to fully listen to the artist because some fucking asshole thinks it's okay that I listen to them talking instead.
    Ha.  
    Fair enough.  We agree that loud / nonstop chatter is annoying and out of place.  I can tune them out and watch the show and still enjoy.  
    I can't do that as easily for the things on my list.

Totally get your position, though.  
    tdawe said:

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Didn't, but if the shoe fits....
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,249
    after night one we went back to the hotel and I couldn't believe how filthy my feet were from walking through the dirt/sand by the GA bleachers all night.  The filth just ran off my legs and feet in the shower.

The next night we noticed a couple that had THREE KIDS with them ranging in age from what looked like 2 to 4 or so.  The parents were standing beside the ADA seating in the sand and the kids were playing in the sand next to them.  They were having a great time but those kids had to have just been completely covered in filth when they left.  They were sitting in it and throwing it at each other all night.

Getting filthy is basically the job description for kids that age though, LOL. Take them to the beach, hose them down before they get in the car, carry them, held at arm's length in front of you, straight to the bathtub when you get home. At that age, and TBH well after that age, I always had a change of clothes for all of us plus several towels in the car, no matter where we were going. Thing One could find a mud puddle in the middle of a desert and fall into it.

I worry more about the little guys who aren't wearing ear protection. Most of the kids I saw had big "earmuffs" -- I can't even imagine trying to get my older child to keep those on. Maybe that's why we didn't go to concerts until they were 12 and 9, respectively.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Ok that’s it.   I’m waiting for the nugs stream now during the 2022 tour. 

The only guests talking while my wife and I watch the show will be my kid asking for milk during the show.  
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,624

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Can’t deny that at Ohana I was hoping the beach ball came my way so I could chuck it at one of the airborne phones in front of me. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,176
    edited October 2021

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    :clap:

Unless on the last bullet there, I’m in the splash zone. :sick:
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Jack White did it right. No phones made a WORLD of difference. every artist should do it. and then post photos of the show online after, like he did. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jack White did it right. No phones made a WORLD of difference. every artist should do it. and then post photos of the show online after, like he did. 
    Yep... And tool does it too. Very refreshing 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,770
    Given they sell the audio boots, I’m surprised they haven’t toyed with it yet.

Include the audio download with ticket purchase, sell the video stream. Post a few photos like they did with Ohana - that should be more than enough. 
  • Options
    tschav said:

Include the audio download with ticket purchase, sell the video stream. Post a few photos like they did with Ohana - that should be more than enough. 
    i'd be interested to know the boot sales. how many people actually buy them? is it just freaks like us, or a large portion of the audience?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tschav said:

i'd be interested to know the boot sales. how many people actually buy them? is it just freaks like us, or a large portion of the audience?
    I bought RHCP boots for the shows I was at.  They make it so easy. Not sure how many people buy them though.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Holding phones in the air has obviously been talked about ad nauseam, but it still baffles me how oblivious people are when they do this.  There were so many f'n people holding their phones up to take video of every f'n song.  It is mind blowing.  You know how many times those stupid videos get watched?  On average about .5 times.  I think concerts should have PSAs before the show with a 60 second tutorial on how to take video if you must.  Extending your arms upward as high as they can go would not make the cut.  People are idiots.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Holding phones in the air has obviously been talked about ad nauseam, but it still baffles me how oblivious people are when they do this.  There were so many f'n people holding their phones up to take video of every f'n song.  It is mind blowing.  You know how many times those stupid videos get watched?  On average about .5 times.  I think concerts should have PSAs before the show with a 60 second tutorial on how to take video if you must.  Extending your arms upward as high as they can go would not make the cut.  People are idiots.
    agreed....it's so stupid.  I had a douche in front of me at RHCP that was recording the entire time. I kept wishing his battery would die. It was unwatchable as he kept moving, turning around, leaning over to talk to his buddy and the phone would move with him...so fucking stupid

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    agreed....it's so stupid.  I had a douche in front of me at RHCP that was recording the entire time. I kept wishing his battery would die. It was unwatchable as he kept moving, turning around, leaning over to talk to his buddy and the phone would move with him...so fucking stupid
    I mean these people literally record 3/4 to all of the songs.  I could see if you just have to get video of one of your favorites (still do it without arms extended 3 feet), but who needs to record the whole damn show?  Had a few of these people right in front of us at Ohana and you could tell they were hearing half the songs for the first time anyway.  So dumb and annoying.  Rant over.

• Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I mean these people literally record 3/4 to all of the songs.  I could see if you just have to get video of one of your favorites (still do it without arms extended 3 feet), but who needs to record the whole damn show?  Had a few of these people right in front of us at Ohana and you could tell they were hearing half the songs for the first time anyway.  So dumb and annoying.  Rant over.

The video thing is the fucking worst. I had a buddy who couldn't make it, so took a quick instagram reel and posted it during SHN. I think it caps the video at like 10 seconds. You don't need more than that. The fuckers who are filming at your line of sight are the worst. To each there own, but filming the entire song is far from enjoyable. 
  • Options
    I do like the idea of some sort of announcement prior to showtime about etiquette.  Of course not everyone would follow it but it would definitely make a difference.

• Options
    or just have ed say at the beginning "put away your fucking phones". when the headstones did their anniversary tour of the first album, Hugh (lead singer) said "put away the phones; if you want to hear some good stories from the old days that I don't want to end up on youtube for my parents to watch, put them away; if you don't, no stories". everyone put them away. simple as that. if they didn't, it took care of itself by way of shaming by the crowd. 

sure, 700 people is easier to control than 30,000. But still. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    All these issues come down to respect and lack of.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    All these issues come down to respect and lack of.
    I would lean more toward ignorance and plain stupidity

• Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    IDK why ppl are saying they can deal with this.  I agree with you 100% --- the only one left out is having your partner / kid stand on the chair next to you making them about 8ft tall and really blocking views... obv not an issue at Ohana.   
    I know some said, well I can still hear the band.... I can still hear it, and better on the boot.  Its about being there and enjoying the experience and hopefully avoiding as many bozos as possible along the way. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Ha.  
    Fair enough.  We agree that loud / nonstop chatter is annoying and out of place.  I can tune them out and watch the show and still enjoy.  
    I can't do that as easily for the things on my list.

Totally get your position, though.  
    tdawe said:

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Didn't, but if the shoe fits....
    :lol:

lol, thank you!
  • Options
    PSUS2H said:

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    IDK why ppl are saying they can deal with this.  I agree with you 100% --- the only one left out is having your partner / kid stand on the chair next to you making them about 8ft tall and really blocking views... obv not an issue at Ohana.   
    I know some said, well I can still hear the band.... I can still hear it, and better on the boot.  Its about being there and enjoying the experience and hopefully avoiding as many bozos as possible along the way. 
    agreed. if all I cared about was hearing it I'd buy the boot and stay home. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I hate that people try to record the concert experience...what drives me bat shit crazy are the people who are filming the show (filming?  Is that anachronistic?) without turning their phones into the horizontal format...that has to look terrible later on and if you screen mirror that video...yikes...
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    I hate that people try to record the concert experience...what drives me bat shit crazy are the people who are filming the show (filming?  Is that anachronistic?) without turning their phones into the horizontal format...that has to look terrible later on and if you screen mirror that video...yikes...
    At Derek Jeter’s last game at Yankee Stadium, the dude in front of me filmed his walkoff hit on a Nintendo 3DS. 
  • Options
    superfuzz30superfuzz30 Posts: 369
    edited October 2021

I do both vertical and horizontal. Depends on zooming in or not. Also, I dunno, I love taking pics and videos and look at them frequently after the fact. That said I want to enjoy the show without that but at the same time, I enjoy taking the images and video. When good photo moments arise with lights or situations, I go for it. But I also limit how long I record for, whole songs? Nah. Verse and a Chorus or a guitar solo, sure.Also 95% of the time im close at shows, like first 5 rows close. So its usually, pretty good quality,  (https://www.instagram.com/superfuzz30/ lol) but if I am further back or whatever I dont mess with it nearly as much.
    Post edited by superfuzz30 on
  • Options
    i'm constantly badgering my wife to stop recording our kids while holding her phone vertical. I keep asking her "is our tv vertical?". I don't understand why anyone records anything on their phone, literally ever, holding it vertically. it's so stupid. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com