Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

Comments

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    There’s a respect for people who have put the work in that should be there. People who don’t or say “it’s GA soooo” have never lined up at 6am. And that’s cool, not everyone wants to do that, but once you have you have an understanding about the code. 

Come up earlier. I was row 2/3 each night and went down about 4pm. You can make friends and take bathroom and drink breaks when needed. It’s not even that long of a wait.

Where the problem happens is shorter people want to leave room between them and the next person when we get to the timeframe when everyone stands up. It’s because they wanna be able to see and use that gap, and I get it, but it also leaves a big person sized gap and the snakes who run up find those.
    There is no code bro. Gtfoh. Your idea of a code doesn’t reflect everyone. If you wait at 6am for rail and get pushed out that’s on you for wasting your time. Seats are king btw. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited October 2021
    I may have been one of those people that walked down at 7:15pm to about 15 rows. It was actually pretty easy which means that people were leaving plenty of room.  I didn’t try to get any closer than that.

I saw several gaps in the crowd near the front both nights.  Great if you can keep all that space for yourself, but don’t complain if some people come down to take those spots.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    I may have been one of those people that walked down at 7:15pm to about 15 rows. It was actually pretty easy which means that people were leaving plenty of room.  I didn’t try to get any closer than that.

I saw several gaps in the crowd near the front both nights.  Great if you can keep all that space for yourself, but don’t complain if some people come down to take those spots.
    I was row 16, thanks for standing in front of me.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Reminds me of the people disembarking an airplane that ignore the exit by row rule.  Some people are just stupid as hell.

One of those guys was on our shuttle on Friday. He was sitting in the back, and as soon as the bus stopped he made his way past rows of people who were just staring at him.
    That's ingenious.  He wanted to get out, lol!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Haha.   Your loud tone deaf singing was payback enough.
  • Options
    There’s a respect for people who have put the work in that should be there. People who don’t or say “it’s GA soooo” have never lined up at 6am. And that’s cool, not everyone wants to do that, but once you have you have an understanding about the code. 

Come up earlier. I was row 2/3 each night and went down about 4pm. You can make friends and take bathroom and drink breaks when needed. It’s not even that long of a wait.

Where the problem happens is shorter people want to leave room between them and the next person when we get to the timeframe when everyone stands up. It’s because they wanna be able to see and use that gap, and I get it, but it also leaves a big person sized gap and the snakes who run up find those.
    There is no code bro. Gtfoh. Your idea of a code doesn’t reflect everyone. If you wait at 6am for rail and get pushed out that’s on you for wasting your time. Seats are king btw. 

There absolutely is. Its just respect for crying out loud. Sure, dont be dumb and leave a ton of space, abuse leaving for breaks, but there absolutely should be a respect for people who have put time in. Code is just a word.

This is also coming from someone saying seats are king. So sometime come wait in line at 6am and have people try and run up and take your spot and see how you feel.
  • Options

There absolutely is. Its just respect for crying out loud. Sure, dont be dumb and leave a ton of space, abuse leaving for breaks, but there absolutely should be a respect for people who have put time in. Code is just a word.

This is also coming from someone saying seats are king. So sometime come wait in line at 6am and have people try and run up and take your spot and see how you feel.
    This is an argument for younger and older people.

Younger fans want to get up closer and be in the mix.

Older fans just want to be left alone and chill.

Here in this pic the person extending his hand is asking Eddie to hold his spot while he goes for a bathroom break.
    BIGGEST STAGE DIVE EVER  Pearl Jam - Porch  Eddie Vedder  1992  PinkPop Holland - YouTube
  • Options

It s ga, someone can roll up next to you as the sweet sounds of just breathe are being played and that person is in the right.  It sucks that you lined up all day but unfortunately that’s what you get when you are in ga.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Your crying during buckle up was unbearable.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Your crying during buckle up was unbearable.
    Well played.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    Some quality one liners here this morning.  You guys are on point today! 😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,846
    I waited all night for ga Seattle key arena. Got a great spot. good dudes showed up around 5pm and still ended up, without pushing or fighting, right behind me. I felt kinda dumb wasting all the stress of line bs, lists, arguments, headcounts.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,976
    For Wrigley night 1 in 2018 we got in GA line around 2:00 that afternoon.  Ended up being about 7 or 8 "rows" back in front of Jeff.

For Wrigley night 2 in 18' on the other hand was a complete free for all after the weather delay.  Before the delay we were about 7 or 8 rows back from center stage.  After the delay, we ended up being in the very back of GA on Stone's side. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

I don't know...you can't look at a person and determine how long they have been waiting so that code won't work.

Some people just don't give a shit about anything but themselves. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Fenway Park and its ocean of reserved seats is sounding pretty good right about now. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2021
    Middle of show rain delays in GA are kind of amusing.  It’s like hitting the reset button.   
    Evacuate and see where you end up now

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    I've never pushed my way to the rail and really have only been on it once for a U2 concert. Honestly sucked because you were stuck there. Usually I enjoy being about 10 rows deep where's it's less chaotic and the line-up crowd isn't all in your face about how they waited all day for those spots. Good for you, leave room and I'll move up as far as is comfortable. I'll never elbow my way in, but if there's space and I see it, it's fair game. GA doesn't mean you get to have any space between you and the next person. If you want that, head to the back of GA. I didn't want to be crowded at Ohana this year so we stayed near the back of standing and literally had freedom of movement throughout PJ's set. Several people walked past us and moved up closer because there was space. As long as you're not competing with Randy Johnson on the height scale, go ahead and stand in front of me if the space is there.

Pre-Covid at Ohana, we were about 15 rows back and packed in tight the group before Ed came on. Some idiots stayed on their blanket in front of us until Ed literally took the stage and people kept almost stepping on them. Gotta love the blanket crowd that thinks they can chill near the front well into the early evening. That's just dumb.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021

I don't know...you can't look at a person and determine how long they have been waiting so that code won't work.

And because of the bolded, this isn't fool proof but back in my GA pit days what made the biggest difference, in the end, was those who did wait just saying "We waited, and no, you can't come and get in front of us. Period." And we held the line, and it made those to whom being up front was important, have to realize that showing up 30 min before main set and assuming you can bulldoze your way to the front is NOT a guarantee you'll be in front.  You want to be in front, get there early, or gamble that if you show up late you may not get there.

And that is truth whether you're in the "It's all GA, so anything goes" camp and those in the "We waited all day, you shouldn't be able to just get in front."  Some of us are small or shy and would never actually say no to someone showing up last minute but as small as I am, really we never had that much trouble banding together and creating a "Nope Zone" in front.  And just like those showing up last minute didn't care if we waited all day, we didn't care if they were pissed they coudln't get in front of us.

Now I'm "Team Seats" when possible, but that's not because my view on what's fair in the pit has changed, Life responsibilities mean I almost never can get there early and also I don't want to fight to get to and from bathroom and food. And I don't want to have to defend my spot anymore, but also cheering on all who DO defend their spots.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    GA sucks just because of what idiots do! Screw them glad someone had the balls to tell them to go back! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    As a “seats or as close as I can comfortably get in GA by arriving shortly before set time” guy, I don’t really have a dog in this fight or strong opinions either way, but I would think that, as usual, the right rule is “don’t be an asshole” no matter which side you’re on. If you’re barging in late and elbowing out people who have been patiently staking out a spot all day, you’re being an asshole. If there’s room for someone to stand up front and you’re trying to block them or kick them out because you personally feel like they don’t deserve it, you’re being an asshole. Don’t do those things. 
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

And because of the bolded, this isn't fool proof but back in my GA pit days what made the biggest difference, in the end, was those who did wait just saying "We waited, and no, you can't come and get in front of us. Period." And we held the line, and it made those to whom being up front was important, have to realize that showing up 30 min before main set and assuming you can bulldoze your way to the front is NOT a guarantee you'll be in front.  You want to be in front, get there early, or gamble that if you show up late you may not get there.

And that is truth whether you're in the "It's all GA, so anything goes" camp and those in the "We waited all day, you shouldn't be able to just get in front."  Some of us are small or shy and would never actually say no to someone showing up last minute but as small as I am, really we never had that much trouble banding together and creating a "Nope Zone" in front.  And just like those showing up last minute didn't care if we waited all day, we didn't care if they were pissed they coudln't get in front of us.

Now I'm "Team Seats" when possible, but that's not because my view on what's fair in the pit has changed, Life responsibilities mean I almost never can get there early and also I don't want to fight to get to and from bathroom and food. And I don't want to have to defend my spot anymore, but also cheering on all who DO defend their spots.
    Im def a team GA guy all the time. Not just PJ. Any and everything. You are spot on with your comment about "nope nope." People are assholes and just stop them. Some onus is on you to not allow it.

To be clear, I was row 2/3 both nights of Encore and didn't see much of this. I also only waited from like 3:30/4PM on each day to achieve that. It was easy to be close if you wanted it even just a LITTLE bit to put some work in.

• Options
    Y'all need to watch this crazy shit.

Everyone talking about this would lose their friggin minds if this is how you are supposed to operate, lol.

What is up w a tarp claiming your spot?

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ-IyK4RAs
  • Options

Everyone talking about this would lose their friggin minds if this is how you are supposed to operate, lol.

F this.

Widespread Panic show...

I love GA, will do all the waiting and such but this is dumb. This is as bad as hand numbering. This is trying to cut out as much actual wait as possible tactics, just like hand numbering.
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 433
    No one owns space in GA. Everyone has the same seat #. 

That said, it should be obvious but is unfortunately often not obvious that the guiding principle remains - "don't be a dick."

Latecomers: Don't push. Don't squeeze into a small space directly in front of someone smaller than you.

Campers: Don't create barriers / start shit with people so that you can have a 5 ft dancing radius in a crowded pit (more of a Phish thing). Don't think that your decision to spend the day in line means you are entitled to anything more than the ground you presently find yourself on.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    GA was all it was years ago..As a kid, it was a challenge to see how close you can get..As an adult, I find it funny people complain about not being 6 ft away from the stage.These guys are great but not worth standing in line all day..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    I recall seeing this video a while ago. What i'd like to know is how did everyone know to bring a tarp? and how do you claim your spot if every tarp looks exactly the same?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    Don’t do GA at Red Rocks. I learned that the hard way my first and only time there for MMJ in 2019. 
  • Options
    tdawe said:

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    Don’t do GA at Red Rocks. I learned that the hard way my first and only time there for MMJ in 2019. 
    Do tell!
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    edited October 2021

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    I recall seeing this video a while ago. What i'd like to know is how did everyone know to bring a tarp? and how do you claim your spot if every tarp looks exactly the same?
    People do the same thing at the dirt rack races I go to. People arrive early in the day, or in some cases the day before, to tape down tarps or blankets to mark their spot. I have seen confrontations when someone removes the blanket and sits there anyway. There are also people who will mark a spot, then go tailgate and play cornhole during the preliminary events, and then show up for their marked seats for the main events near the end of the night. most of them are basic blue tarps from Walmart. I doubt they are marked with a name or anything. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Anyone letting a non 10club employee assign you a number for standing in line needs help.