Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

Comments

• Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited October 2021
    I wish I could shrink I guess, but it is not my fucking problem.
    -PB11041

In the running for quote of the month.  :)

It is funny to me on multiple levels....
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    And if you're very short... it's 1,000 X more frustrating and also so much harder to maintain a decent view of the stage. It just takes 1 jerk, not even a very tall one, and all you can see is sweaty jerky back of t-shirt.  Another reason I've moved more to seats when possible.
    In defense of those who have won the "genetic lottery" (a Bill Walton statement typed tongue in cheek--don't get all out of sorts), I am 6'5"....in my 37 years of attending shows (started when I was 14) I have heard it all.  My favorite being at a Jeff Tweedy solo show in SF.  I was there when the doors opened, walked up to a spot in front of the stage and waited the 45 minutes for Jeff to come on stage.  As the first song started I could hear two audibly distressed women talking behind me as if tall people don't speak their language. "F-this...I always get behind some tall dumbass that blocks my view..." blah, blah f-ing blah.  I usually don't say anything to the gripers and let them verbally punch themselves out.  But they kept ranting.  I finally turned around, put my hands on my knees in an admittedly belittling (pun intended) way and uttered a quote that my family has used for years now:

Short and late is no way to attend a concert.

I find a spot early in the show and move very little from that position.  At some point the people behind me have chosen to stand there...not my problem.  Oftentimes friends and family like the area behind me as it is like an eddy devoid of humanity....space to relax with less jostling.  If the average male height is 5'9" and the average female height is 5'4" I prove to be a visual impediment to a lot of people...I can promise you that you won't be pissed off at me because I rolled in and stood in front of you...but you can't be mad that you and I like a band and are attending the same show.
    You're definitely right, I should have been clearer in what I said. Because I'm short, almost ANYONE is going to block my view if I'm standing behind them. If I arrive after them, it's on me to bob & shift side to side trying to see the band, and it is what it is, been like that for all my years of concert going & being in GA.  Also why if I'm not at the very front of the front, I don't even try to be 2 or 4 rows back because I'll still most likely not be able to see.

What I said about "jerks" moving in front of me is DEFINITELY only for people pushing their way up and then literally squeezing into a tiny bit of airspace so ALL I see is t-shirt. Nothing else. And ZERO sense of awareness or care about totally runing anyone else's view.

One of my best buds in town is 6'6" and we talk about it all the time, he's kind of like you and I totally support that.  If something or someone that will totally block my view is there when we get there, OR in things like plays or musicals or movie theaters, when there are reserved assigned seats, if I get behind a tall person, it just is what it is, I either chose it (GA and I got there after them) or if it's reserved seats, it is what it is, I just gotta hope I know the people next to me so I can essentially lean into their laps the whole 2 hour play (KIDDING, I don't really do that! But I also don't see much).

So I hear ya, and I never am the short person who arrives after you and complains about you being in the way or asking you to move. "Jerks" was ONLY meant for the just-before-main-band-bulldoze-through people who end up RIGHT in front of me. But only temporarily. One way or another, we get them gone.  

Taller people like to be close too and have the right to be!  
    I was just using your post as a jumping off point...didn't take offense at all-I should have been clearer.  I actually never feel worse than when I am in reserved/assigned seats.  At least people can move from behind me at a GA show.  Although I am almost certain that some people at shows would not mind you leaning into them....makes it look like they might actually have a girlfriend.....  :)
    I think the person who posted right after you did think I meant "all tall people are jerks for being tall" so I thought you did too, but I think it's all cleared up now. All good!

And what you said about me leaning on the person next to me & maybe it's only way they look like they have a girlfriend took me back to Ernie & Bert clip in this convo cuz Ernie tries to climb in Bert's lap, but he doesn't say the magic words I just learned from you so it didn't work.

Next time it happens to me at a play, I'll hop in the person next to me's lap and when they complain I'll know to say "Dude, shut up. Just enjoy that everyone else here thinks you could get me as a girlfriend."

To which his taller, smarter, prettier actual girlfriend would probably say: "Hold my beer..." and next thing you know I'm kicked out of the show.

Gee, thanks a lot  huntersthompson!
    =)=)=)
    I did. my bad for misinterpreting. 
    No worries, I totally understand how you thought that ;)
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    And if you're very short... it's 1,000 X more frustrating and also so much harder to maintain a decent view of the stage. It just takes 1 jerk, not even a very tall one, and all you can see is sweaty jerky back of t-shirt.  Another reason I've moved more to seats when possible.
    In defense of those who have won the "genetic lottery" (a Bill Walton statement typed tongue in cheek--don't get all out of sorts), I am 6'5"....in my 37 years of attending shows (started when I was 14) I have heard it all.  My favorite being at a Jeff Tweedy solo show in SF.  I was there when the doors opened, walked up to a spot in front of the stage and waited the 45 minutes for Jeff to come on stage.  As the first song started I could hear two audibly distressed women talking behind me as if tall people don't speak their language. "F-this...I always get behind some tall dumbass that blocks my view..." blah, blah f-ing blah.  I usually don't say anything to the gripers and let them verbally punch themselves out.  But they kept ranting.  I finally turned around, put my hands on my knees in an admittedly belittling (pun intended) way and uttered a quote that my family has used for years now:

I find a spot early in the show and move very little from that position.  At some point the people behind me have chosen to stand there...not my problem.  Oftentimes friends and family like the area behind me as it is like an eddy devoid of humanity....space to relax with less jostling.  If the average male height is 5'9" and the average female height is 5'4" I prove to be a visual impediment to a lot of people...I can promise you that you won't be pissed off at me because I rolled in and stood in front of you...but you can't be mad that you and I like a band and are attending the same show.
    You're definitely right, I should have been clearer in what I said. Because I'm short, almost ANYONE is going to block my view if I'm standing behind them. If I arrive after them, it's on me to bob & shift side to side trying to see the band, and it is what it is, been like that for all my years of concert going & being in GA.  Also why if I'm not at the very front of the front, I don't even try to be 2 or 4 rows back because I'll still most likely not be able to see.

What I said about "jerks" moving in front of me is DEFINITELY only for people pushing their way up and then literally squeezing into a tiny bit of airspace so ALL I see is t-shirt. Nothing else. And ZERO sense of awareness or care about totally runing anyone else's view.

One of my best buds in town is 6'6" and we talk about it all the time, he's kind of like you and I totally support that.  If something or someone that will totally block my view is there when we get there, OR in things like plays or musicals or movie theaters, when there are reserved assigned seats, if I get behind a tall person, it just is what it is, I either chose it (GA and I got there after them) or if it's reserved seats, it is what it is, I just gotta hope I know the people next to me so I can essentially lean into their laps the whole 2 hour play (KIDDING, I don't really do that! But I also don't see much).

So I hear ya, and I never am the short person who arrives after you and complains about you being in the way or asking you to move. "Jerks" was ONLY meant for the just-before-main-band-bulldoze-through people who end up RIGHT in front of me. But only temporarily. One way or another, we get them gone.  

I was just using your post as a jumping off point...didn't take offense at all-I should have been clearer.  I actually never feel worse than when I am in reserved/assigned seats.  At least people can move from behind me at a GA show.  Although I am almost certain that some people at shows would not mind you leaning into them....makes it look like they might actually have a girlfriend.....  :)
    I think the person who posted right after you did think I meant "all tall people are jerks for being tall" so I thought you did too, but I think it's all cleared up now. All good!

And what you said about me leaning on the person next to me & maybe it's only way they look like they have a girlfriend took me back to Ernie & Bert clip in this convo cuz Ernie tries to climb in Bert's lap, but he doesn't say the magic words I just learned from you so it didn't work.

Next time it happens to me at a play, I'll hop in the person next to me's lap and when they complain I'll know to say "Dude, shut up. Just enjoy that everyone else here thinks you could get me as a girlfriend."

To which his taller, smarter, prettier actual girlfriend would probably say: "Hold my beer..." and next thing you know I'm kicked out of the show.

=)=)=)
    First....let me apologize for this hypothetical pickle I got you into.  I will send you an imaginary drink and hope that you forgive me.  Second, there are about a thousand ways that I could run with this that all seem funny to me right now, but would probably get my senatorial bid in 2032 denied.....  :)
    We need to have that virtual drink, because another thing we have in common is the # of times I say to people "Ok, I'll tell you, but when I'm up for a position on the court, you don't know me or this..."  We can trade "Oh, you think THAT will keep you from holding office, how bout when I..." stories!

And record the zoom too, of course...
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

=)=)=)
    First....let me apologize for this hypothetical pickle I got you into.  I will send you an imaginary drink and hope that you forgive me.  Second, there are about a thousand ways that I could run with this that all seem funny to me right now, but would probably get my senatorial bid in 2032 denied.....  :)
    We need to have that virtual drink, because another thing we have in common is the # of times I say to people "Ok, I'll tell you, but when I'm up for a position on the court, you don't know me or this..."  We can trade "Oh, you think THAT will keep you from holding office, how bout when I..." stories!

And record the zoom too, of course...
    In
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I go to dozens of GA shows every year (or at least I did pre-COVID -- been to a handful in the past month, though) and I think I'm in the middle ground here. I have no problem with someone coming in late and filling in space if there's a reasonable amount to be had. I got to Ohana early on Friday to get up close (ended up with only one row between me and the rail on Mike's side). The woman behind me bitched multiple times to different people about wanting her space even though she had plenty of room around her. Sorry, but if you want to have 3 feet of room around you, don't try to get up close. As rude as it is to push forward into 5 inches of space between people, it's equally rude to bitch at people for not giving you twice as much space as everyone else at a GA show.

Showed up much later on Saturday and walked as close as I could get (which wasn't very close) without bumping into or annoying people. Had just as much fun that night as up close on Friday. There was plenty of space around me Saturday, and it didn't bug me at all when others came up and filled it up. However, the couple who filled in the spot in front of me only to talk incessantly through every song...fuck you. I don't care what kind of show you're at or where you sit/stand, talking through a band's set is the most disrespectful and rude thing you can possibly do to the people around you.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,842
    Sorry, we were talking about the new sex in the city movie coming out soon. My bad.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    I watched a whole relationship dissolve during the Avett Brothers set. Talk about distracting.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Talking is bad....singing off tune and/or incorrect lyrics is worse
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,264
    Talking is bad....singing off tune and/or incorrect lyrics is worse

That was my husband. Sorry. I tried to get him to pipe down -- he has a Tom Morello - caliber voice, with the enthusiasm of Morello's guitar-playing. :-(
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    However, the couple who filled in the spot in front of me only to talk incessantly through every song...fuck you. I don't care what kind of show you're at or where you sit/stand, talking through a band's set is the most disrespectful and rude thing you can possibly do to the people around you.
    so this is definitely another aspect of when the size variable kicks in, when you tell people to "respectfully, please shut the fuck up, I am here to listen to the bands, not you blather" it is generally met with contempt but compliance. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    It is interesting to have the perspective of "you shouldn't get mad at me for cutting in but I am going to get mad at you for talking"

not saying it's wrong...just interesting

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    I go to dozens of GA shows every year (or at least I did pre-COVID -- been to a handful in the past month, though) and I think I'm in the middle ground here. I have no problem with someone coming in late and filling in space if there's a reasonable amount to be had. I got to Ohana early on Friday to get up close (ended up with only one row between me and the rail on Mike's side). The woman behind me bitched multiple times to different people about wanting her space even though she had plenty of room around her. Sorry, but if you want to have 3 feet of room around you, don't try to get up close. As rude as it is to push forward into 5 inches of space between people, it's equally rude to bitch at people for not giving you twice as much space as everyone else at a GA show.

Showed up much later on Saturday and walked as close as I could get (which wasn't very close) without bumping into or annoying people. Had just as much fun that night as up close on Friday. There was plenty of space around me Saturday, and it didn't bug me at all when others came up and filled it up. However, the couple who filled in the spot in front of me only to talk incessantly through every song...fuck you. I don't care what kind of show you're at or where you sit/stand, talking through a band's set is the most disrespectful and rude thing you can possibly do to the people around you.
    Oh, I think these are all worse :lol:     :
    • Holding up phone entire time
    • putting some idiot on your shoulders
    • dancing around, smashing into people throughout the whole set
    • farting
    • singing the wrong lyrics to the songs, loudly
    • yelling the same damn song request x50
    • holding up a sign for long periods of time
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    lol....reminds me of Moline where the drunk fucker behind us kept yelling at Eddie to stop playing guitar and just sing.  Dude would not shut up.

• Options
    Yeah. It's a f..king rock concert. Go see yoyoma if you want silence!  ;)
  • Options

Was at many a show where people want to talk.  I kindly ask if they came to chat or listen to the band...

Was at a Ghost show at the Capital.  2nd tier rail so view was excellent.  3 guys behind me kept yapping.  I turned around and said to one of them "these guys are loud(pointing to the band) but you guys are louder."

The guy understood and took his friends elsewhere.

I have yet to find someone unwilling to be quiet after you call them out.  People are generally very good about it.
  • Options
    I remember dodging fireworks thrown from the nose bleeds at ac/dc.
  • Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Kids at shows?  I can't be the only one, lol...
  • Options
    I also remember people telling us to sit down at a floyd show. Ahhh. Ok?
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,931

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Had a guy a row of people behind me say he was pissing himself so he didn't miss anything at Ohana Encore,  during PJ. I relocated without confirming.
  • Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Had a guy a row of people behind me say he was pissing himself so he didn't miss anything at Ohana Encore,  during PJ. I relocated without confirming.
    There has to be a lot of that going on. 

• Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    There has to be a lot of that going on. 
    100%, I'd just rather not know about it lol
  • Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    Don't they make adult diapers for that?  I mean really now...
  • Options
    I know 'someone' that wore a diaper to missoula just in case. Hey man. You wait forever for rail. I'm not leaving!  For the record it remained dry.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    jesus christ the shit people will do for this band. haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Loujoe said:
    I know 'someone' that wore a diaper to missoula just in case. Hey man. You wait forever for rail. I'm not leaving!  For the record it remained dry.
    That is commendable, and did cross my mind as an option for SHN (my wife shamed me out of it, but i'd never really do that). Way better option than to relieve yourself in a group of strangers, tightly packed together. 
  • Options

• farting
    • vomiting

Did I leave any out?
    8ish and over with ID is ok.
  • Options
    Apparently no shit either, he said it was dry.

I'm here all day ladies and gentlemen!!!
  • Options
    I would have left my spot for a serious bathroom transaction. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193

I have yet to find someone unwilling to be quiet after you call them out.  People are generally very good about it.
    We had some bros at a Foo Fighters show that didn’t stfu even after a quick word… more like we got bullied bc “this is my boy! We’re just so happy to see him!” And they continued on the whole show. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,249
    Figuratively and literally.
    This weekend we rock Portland