Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

NashvillePJfanNashvillePJfan Posts: 594
edited October 2021 in The Porch
Our group was there at 1:30 each day claiming our spot. Pretty disgusted by so many -- surprisingly mostly women -- who thought it was "cute" for showing up hours later, trying to get in front of us and saying, "It happens!" or "It's general admission." 

Thankfully had a couple guys from Wisconsin near us who were having none of this. They sent a couple dozen of these interlopers packing -- public shaming of these jerks was a joy to see.
I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I know you lined up and all but it is General Admission, they had the same right to be in that spot as you.  Just my humble opinion.
    That's why seats are better.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know you lined up and all but it is General Admission, they had the same right to be in that spot as you.  Just my humble opinion.
    I can't tell if your ;) at the end means you're being a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but sincerely I thought general admission meant no assigned seating, but once you were in 1st come 1st served, you had a right to protect your space?  When did GA mean  you can show up whenever you want and bulldoze your way to the front?

Does that mean that while waiting in the merch lines it's ok to bulldoze your way to the front to buy, since it's kind of a GA situation?

People who do that know others can stop them and say "Nope, not gonna happen", especially at the front where it's already tight.  Holding the line is nothing those people don't expect, but they also are used to people being too shy or too tired to argue about it. Which only reinforces it.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,187
    I'm in the free for all camp on this one. You don't own the real estate and the vast majority of people near the front were flagrantly violating the "no towels beyond this point" sign and treating the field like it's their living room. If you want to stake out a spot, stand and suffer for 8 hours like the rest of us
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I can't tell if your ;) at the end means you're being a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but sincerely I thought general admission meant no assigned seating, but once you were in 1st come 1st served, you had a right to protect your space?  When did GA mean  you can show up whenever you want and bulldoze your way to the front?

Does that mean that while waiting in the merch lines it's ok to bulldoze your way to the front to buy, since it's kind of a GA situation?

People who do that know others can stop them and say "Nope, not gonna happen", especially at the front where it's already tight.  Holding the line is nothing those people don't expect, but they also are used to people being too shy or too tired to argue about it. Which only reinforces it.
    my winky face was for seats are better.  But ga is ga, it sucks but anyone can take your spot at anytime. 

• Options
    SHZA said:
    I'm in the free for all camp on this one. You don't own the real estate and the vast majority of people near the front were flagrantly violating the "no towels beyond this point" sign and treating the field like it's their living room. If you want to stake out a spot, stand and suffer for 8 hours like the rest of us
    Maybe I misunderstood, I thought the person who started this discussion was standing there suffering like everyone else all day, which is why she was upset when folks showed up at the last minute waltzing up to the front?
  • Options
    EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 479
    it's like people have never been to a concert before.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    You take the time to get there early and get your spot - yes you have to stand your ground, but nobody is moving me once I get into a position like that.
  • Options
    Wisconsin people are good people! 🧀 Maybe it was my wife?
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    Sneaking up? Lol, it’s ga the only spot you can claim  is the one you're standing in. 
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    Yes; we waited all day up front — got in the GA line at 9 am both days. We waited one space behind the rail near Stone. We didn’t take up a lot of space or anything and when people tried to cut in front of us they were trying to slip into very tight spaces which left no breathing room at all. I am grateful the guys near us polices the situation. 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    I’m just gonna say that the amount of drunk people claiming to be looking for someone and pushing through 15 minutes before Pearl Jam took the stage was obnoxious (all five nights). I’m a tall guy, and asking nicely doesn’t bother me, but disrespecting others by pushing through and inviting conflict just makes for a tense crowd around you - especially if people have been in the sun all day.

I mean, who doesn’t want to hear Eddie talk about the great crowd and play I Am Mine while two people are ready to throw down over getting 2 feet closer?
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    I had people sitting on their blankets halfway to the stage on the lawn tell me they've been there since 1pm and I can't move closer than they were to the stage. There were two stages with alternating performances. Was I supposed to stay in one spot at one one stage all day and night?
  • Options
    edocon said:
    I had people sitting on their blankets halfway to the stage on the lawn tell me they've been there since 1pm and I can't move closer than they were to the stage. There were two stages with alternating performances. Was I supposed to stay in one spot at one one stage all day and night?
    Ok that's cray, I agree, that's unrealistic expectations.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,888
    mcgruff10 said:

100%. I stopped caring about GA/ up front many years ago for any concert. Having a seat is perfect, got my space, place to set my beer, rock a little, go piss and come back when I need, etc, etc, etc... Fun easy night for enjoying music.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,177
    People are going to fill in any spaces right before the band starts. The idea is the people who have been standing there all day should fill in a bit (everyone moves up a bit). If you leave too much space that’s on you or your neighbors. 

Or, be flagrantly drunk and no one will come near you. Two girls at SHN had about a 6 foot radius as no one wanted near them.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Agree, this is why GA sucks.  Some drunken dickhead elbowing me every other song gets old and makes me want to punch up some idiots. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2021
    I’ve done the front row at a big festival one time and that was the last time.  

It wasn’t enjoyable.  you sacrifice your day of seeing the other bands you like on other stages.  Tough to eat.  Tough to take a leak after 6pm.

I had the same issue with a some 50 yr old woman who acted like she was still 25.  She ended up trying to squeeze in front of my wife and I as the time got close.  We were seriously on the rail.  She tried yelling that I was blocking her from the front.  I said. “Umm you’re right!”    But yeah You really own the spot that you make.  That’s it.  

boxseats in 2022 baby!  
  • Options
    Agree, this is why GA sucks.  Some drunken dickhead elbowing me every other song gets old and makes me want to punch up some idiots. 

My bad on that Brett.  :(
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    mcgruff10 said:

My bad on that Brett.  :(
    Ha!
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    There are always those few that see what they can get away with at a show. It does get annoying at times. 

But I do think people take personal space to seriously lately… for GA… at a rock show… Probably a discussion for another thread. If you don't like your bubble popped though, don’t go GA.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    When I was a young'un I was pretty good at defending my space. Funniest was me (I'm very short) refusing to let some big guy go by who said he was working, but had nothing to show for it or say who he worked for, and he was the 8,000th person trying to move up for that particular set (not a PJ show) & it was already super crowded, so there was a unified human wall saying no to him. And then right behind him as he tried another way was Paris Hilton & her sis so he was really just their personal bulldozer and they had to find another way through/around.

But now I'm older and like others I like being able to walk around, get a drink, go visit friends somewhere else, and get back and not have to fight for my seat, so I'm with everyone saying "That's why seats are great".  I don't think I've been GA in front for PJ since '95 actually, now that I think of it...  But I stand in solidarity with those who wait their time, don't try to hold an acre of space, just their own space to at least breathe & see, and then resist when someone tries to push their way right in front of them at the last minute. Oh hell to the no.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Hope some fun was had despite the situation OP! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

To be fair this still happens in seats. And can be worse because you can’t move away from them.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    There’s a respect for people who have put the work in that should be there. People who don’t or say “it’s GA soooo” have never lined up at 6am. And that’s cool, not everyone wants to do that, but once you have you have an understanding about the code. 

Come up earlier. I was row 2/3 each night and went down about 4pm. You can make friends and take bathroom and drink breaks when needed. It’s not even that long of a wait.

Where the problem happens is shorter people want to leave room between them and the next person when we get to the timeframe when everyone stands up. It’s because they wanna be able to see and use that gap, and I get it, but it also leaves a big person sized gap and the snakes who run up find those.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

To be fair this still happens in seats. And can be worse because you can’t move away from them.
    That could be true.
    I've had people barf behind me, the people in the row in front of us smoke weed nonstop when my wife was pregnant, all sorts of things.  I guess I just accept that they paid for the seats and even if they are total assfuckingholes at least they aren't touching me in any way.  (Or, they are getting a fist to the jaw.)
    I don't feel the same way about GA.
    That is ok - generally when I go to places for GA I either go to the very front (nobody is getting in front)or to the back/far enough when I can just chill and enjoy things.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    mcgruff10 said:
    I guess it depends. If the spot the OP staked out left a foot between them and the person in front so they could be more comfortable, then yeah expect that to get filled by someone else.
    But people nudging themselves in front of people where there isn’t a space, that’s not what Ga means and they don’t have the same right to push someone away.
    I see both scenarios play out all the time in GA, and why I agree seats are usually better.
  • Options
    Seats are definitely better.

In terms of this topic, I think it’s fair to fill in a gap if there is truly a gap, but not cool to force your way up when there isn’t space.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Something that I saw that was sort of crazy was people putting down 2 or more blankets, taking up a lot of ground for only two or three people, and then leaving them spread out after dark. I saw one group laying down on them after dark between Beck and PJ almost get run over multiple times due to people not seeing them laying there.  
  • Options
    People who are saying seats are better must have good 10c #s!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    tschav said:
    I’m just gonna say that the amount of drunk people claiming to be looking for someone and pushing through 15 minutes before Pearl Jam took the stage was obnoxious (all five nights). I’m a tall guy, and asking nicely doesn’t bother me, but disrespecting others by pushing through and inviting conflict just makes for a tense crowd around you - especially if people have been in the sun all day.

I mean, who doesn’t want to hear Eddie talk about the great crowd and play I Am Mine while two people are ready to throw down over getting 2 feet closer?
    Was in telluride and people were trying to get past me 'looking for their friends' I told them have their friends come back and meet you behind me. 
    Told the dude next to me let's not let anyone by. Buzzed dancer dude came jumping by, before pj came on, dude beat him down. I was like that was not what I meant, to beat on people...
    But
    It does get tense.
    Wait if you want a choice spot.
    Don't squeeze past me.

Remember it's only rock and roll

Please and thanks