Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    That tarp video is nuts! Anyone been there and know what then happens when a sold out Red Rocks is full capacity? What happens with those tarps and the people who think they can maintain space on them?  How does Red Rocks security see it, like if someone's like "This rude person is standing on my tarp!" do they do anything? 

Also, never been to Red Rocks, for a show like this is there also reserved seating? Or it's all GA?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Y'all need to watch this crazy shit.

Everyone talking about this would lose their friggin minds if this is how you are supposed to operate, lol.

What is up w a tarp claiming your spot?

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ-IyK4RAs
    I would just go stand on their giant ass tarp and tell them to F off
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    JH6056 said:
    That tarp video is nuts! Anyone been there and know what then happens when a sold out Red Rocks is full capacity? What happens with those tarps and the people who think they can maintain space on them?  How does Red Rocks security see it, like if someone's like "This rude person is standing on my tarp!" do they do anything? 

Also, never been to Red Rocks, for a show like this is there also reserved seating? Or it's all GA?
    Having been to Red Rocks many times but only a couple of GA  I can tell you that tell tarps were respected. But, I don't think they allow that anymore.

And yes thy do all reserved for some, all GA for some, and some shows its a mix of reserved and G.A 

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    JH6056 said:

I think it’s different for different shows, but the time I went there the layout was: first few rows were super-VIP reserved, then there was a bunch of GA rows, then a bunch of reserved rows, then GA again to the top. So if you had GA tix you could hope to get down below the reserved seats, but if you couldn’t get down there you’re way up.

We got there while the opener was on, and the lower GA section was full of blankets (not tarps in my recollection). And the problem is that while it’s “GA”, there are still rows of marked out seats. So it’s not like a lawn or a pit where you can carve out exactly as much space as you need - if you try to jam into a row where two people are bookending eight seats with a blanket between them, they’ll say “our six other friends are getting food.” And they’re not lying, but you can’t do the regular GA thing where you say “okay cool when they get back we’ll all figure it out”. 

Now, the one thing that might save the situation somewhat is that the “upper” GA at Red Rocks shouldn’t be so bad - as you go higher you obviously get further from the stage, but in exchange you get a really spectacular view of the area. But for MMJ, by the time we got there (again, during the opener set) even the upper GA was full. We ended up having to essentially sit/stand in the aisle at the very top. If I ever go again I’m getting reserved tickets, and I recommend anyone do the same unless (1) the show isn’t going to be a sellout or (2) you’re down with going in the morning and spending the whole day there. 
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    It happened to me twice in assigned seats (both times front row of the section). It's really frustrating, but as an avoidance tactic I purposefully get bad seats for some shows because I don't want to deal with the goofs. 
  • Options
    biz999 said:
    It happened to me twice in assigned seats (both times front row of the section). It's really frustrating, but as an avoidance tactic I purposefully get bad seats for some shows because I don't want to deal with the goofs. 
    What happened? You had reserved seats and someone else sat in them and refused to leave? Or something else?
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    edited October 2021
    JH6056 said:
    biz999 said:
    What happened? You had reserved seats and someone else sat in them and refused to leave? Or something else?
    It happens when the lights go down and people stand for the main show. People come down the stairs from higher up (from the same section or elsewhere) and squeeze in the front row of the section. So picture 30 seats in the row, but 50 people standing in front of them.

edit: Both times were NOT PJ
    Post edited by biz999 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I wouldn't let anyone take my reserved seat space. That would piss me off.

Some douchebag did that to me at GNR a few years ago.  We had reserved floor seats in the front row of the back section on the floor.  This dickhead from a few rows back came up with 2-3 girls much younger than him (not his kids) and just wanted to hang in front of us. I had security chase them off twice and they ended up somewhere else down the row.  Fucking assholes.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited October 2021
    There’s a respect for people who have put the work in that should be there. People who don’t or say “it’s GA soooo” have never lined up at 6am. And that’s cool, not everyone wants to do that, but once you have you have an understanding about the code. 

Come up earlier. I was row 2/3 each night and went down about 4pm. You can make friends and take bathroom and drink breaks when needed. It’s not even that long of a wait.

Where the problem happens is shorter people want to leave room between them and the next person when we get to the timeframe when everyone stands up. It’s because they wanna be able to see and use that gap, and I get it, but it also leaves a big person sized gap and the snakes who run up find those.
    There is no code bro. Gtfoh. Your idea of a code doesn’t reflect everyone. If you wait at 6am for rail and get pushed out that’s on you for wasting your time. Seats are king btw. 

There absolutely is. Its just respect for crying out loud. Sure, dont be dumb and leave a ton of space, abuse leaving for breaks, but there absolutely should be a respect for people who have put time in. Code is just a word.

This is also coming from someone saying seats are king. So sometime come wait in line at 6am and have people try and run up and take your spot and see how you feel.
    I would never wait in line all day to get into a concert I have tickets for. To each their own
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    I would have a strong urge to rip those tarps off and throw them in the trash.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    I would strongly urge you not to do a Redrocks show, lol.
  • Options
    Same...I'm not sure how I would react to one person trying to block of 6-8 spots

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    Same...I'm not sure how I would react to one person trying to block of 6-8 spots
    Again my bad on that.  My wife was bringing my five kids to the bathroom.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    The reign of the tarps is over at red rocks! Per the top comment on the YouTube video posted and confirmed via the website. =)

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    The reign of the tarps is over at red rocks! Per the top comment on the YouTube video posted and confirmed via the website. =)

Dagnabbit, I just ordered a tarp-100 pack online. Was gonna tape them all together and have our own VIP Pit over half the front of Red Rocks when I get to a show there. 

Anyone wanna buy some tarps? Pandemic home repairs, need tarp?
  • Options

Blankets are allowed still...
  • Options

• Blankets, must not extend beyond your ticketed seating area (max size 40″ x 60″)

• Options

• Blankets, must not extend beyond your ticketed seating area (max size 40″ x 60″)

Not sure how big your tush is but mine is nowhere near 40".  My whole waist isn't even that big...  That is 3-1/2 feet.  you could fit 3 people on that.  Turn it the other way and you have 5 feet of real estate.  You could have a party on that, lol!
  • Options
    I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I've been able to make a trip on my own and see my favorite band ever, so forgive me for not being in that "Who cares about being up front, ive seen them 50 times" crowd. I got there 1:30 on the dot Fri and 12:30 Sat, both days 3rd row back Stone's side. Luckily, me and everyone else around me sent anyone trying to get up front 20 mins before PJ packing pretty quickly and aggressively, but anyone who has that "no rules in GA" mentality is a dickhead. There's no way to "do it politely" and you're not entitled to be up front when you start pushing and shoving people that sat in the heat all day like an asshole. And all the people who sat around on their phone until 8 weren't much better. There were incredible musicians on stage all day every day. How can you be that big a fan of Pearl Jam and then just scoff at other great musicians and ignore them? Regardless, I had the time of my life, but some people are scumbags, 10C members included. Do what you want, but dont get mad when I shove you back.
    Philadelphia 1 (April 28, 2016)
    Sea.Hear.Now Festival (September 18, 2021)
    Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021)
    Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021)
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
    Camden (September 14, 2022)
  • Options
    I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I've been able to make a trip on my own and see my favorite band ever, so forgive me for not being in that "Who cares about being up front, ive seen them 50 times" crowd. I got there 1:30 on the dot Fri and 12:30 Sat, both days 3rd row back Stone's side. Luckily, me and everyone else around me sent anyone trying to get up front 20 mins before PJ packing pretty quickly and aggressively, but anyone who has that "no rules in GA" mentality is a dickhead. There's no way to "do it politely" and you're not entitled to be up front when you start pushing and shoving people that sat in the heat all day like an asshole. And all the people who sat around on their phone until 8 weren't much better. There were incredible musicians on stage all day every day. How can you be that big a fan of Pearl Jam and then just scoff at other great musicians and ignore them? Regardless, I had the time of my life, but some people are scumbags, 10C members included. Do what you want, but dont get mad when I shove you back.
    Agree completely, with all you've said!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2021
    My wife and I  were on the rail Friday night in front of the main right speaker and video screen. Did we meet by chance? 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    My wife and I  were on the rail Friday night in front of the main right speaker and video screen. Did we meet by chance? 
    It's certainly possible. That's exactly where my girlfriend and I were. Regardless of what I said, everyone around me was pretty awesome (esp Saturday). Holding spots, sharing weed, protecting shorter people and kids, telling late people to fuck off. Those are the people that deserve to be up there and I hope you all had as great a time as we did!
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    I really can't imagine the mindset of someone that waits until showtime to push their way to the front.  I just don't understand why they would desire to do that knowing how many people they are going to piss off along the way.

Fuck them

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    edited October 2021

Everyone talking about this would lose their friggin minds if this is how you are supposed to operate, lol.

F this.

Widespread Panic show...

I love GA, will do all the waiting and such but this is dumb. This is as bad as hand numbering. This is trying to cut out as much actual wait as possible tactics, just like hand numbering.

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514

F this.

Widespread Panic show...
    I recall seeing this video a while ago. What i'd like to know is how did everyone know to bring a tarp? and how do you claim your spot if every tarp looks exactly the same?

F this.

Widespread Panic show...

I love GA, will do all the waiting and such but this is dumb. This is as bad as hand numbering. This is trying to cut out as much actual wait as possible tactics, just like hand numbering.
    Widespread Panic, indeed.

Anyone else notice the two dudes around the 2:40 mark to the right where the one guy throws his hands in the air like "we made it finally" and the other dude high fives him then they jump up and down hugging?  LOL, don't know if they were strangers, but I'm guessing Red Rocks was a bucket list thing for them.
  • Options
    I really can't imagine the mindset of someone that waits until showtime to push their way to the front.  I just don't understand why they would desire to do that knowing how many people they are going to piss off along the way.

Fuck them
    They're just scumbag human beings. There were like 4 people in particular that I can remember trying some lame excuse like "no rules at a festival" or "fill in the gaps then." I agree that people shouldnt be laid out on towels at 7:45 expecting people to not move in front, but that mentality is gross. They were all just douchebags on top of having that entitlement. And you could see that those people that came 20 mins before the show would sit on their phone for half the set and sing along to Even Flow. Why are you here standing in front of people that actually have an emotional connection to this show? If you wanna get fucked up and listen to the 5 Pearl Jam songs you knew in high school, then don't do it front row where bigger fans who have been waiting 2 years to see this band got here hours before gates even opened.
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,453

Not sure how big your tush is but mine is nowhere near 40".  My whole waist isn't even that big...  That is 3-1/2 feet.  you could fit 3 people on that.  Turn it the other way and you have 5 feet of real estate.  You could have a party on that, lol!

Do not leave your waist on my tarp.  Halts maul!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Most of this crap is experienced up front, of course, but it happens everywhere.  I was closer to the back, maybe 25-30 feet in front of the pavement walkway, and some dude strolls up and plants himself half an arm's length directly in front of me.  He widened his stance so his feet were 4 feet apart as if to say, "this is my spot and I'm not moving."  First I laughed, then I walked around him as if he didn't exist and claimed the open spot directly in front of him.  Then he disappeared.  It was comical.  Lot of d-bags out there, especially at festivals.

• Options
    And if you're very short... it's 1,000 X more frustrating and also so much harder to maintain a decent view of the stage. It just takes 1 jerk, not even a very tall one, and all you can see is sweaty jerky back of t-shirt.  Another reason I've moved more to seats when possible.
  • Options

Fuck them
    They're just scumbag human beings. There were like 4 people in particular that I can remember trying some lame excuse like "no rules at a festival" or "fill in the gaps then." I agree that people shouldnt be laid out on towels at 7:45 expecting people to not move in front, but that mentality is gross. They were all just douchebags on top of having that entitlement. And you could see that those people that came 20 mins before the show would sit on their phone for half the set and sing along to Even Flow. Why are you here standing in front of people that actually have an emotional connection to this show? If you wanna get fucked up and listen to the 5 Pearl Jam songs you knew in high school, then don't do it front row where bigger fans who have been waiting 2 years to see this band got here hours before gates even opened.
    those are "Evenbros"