Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

Comments

• Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    JH6056 said:
    And if you're very short... it's 1,000 X more frustrating and also so much harder to maintain a decent view of the stage. It just takes 1 jerk, not even a very tall one, and all you can see is sweaty jerky back of t-shirt.  Another reason I've moved more to seats when possible.
    So true! Most of my co-attendees are between 5'5"-5'2" as adults. I'm 5'8"ish+ yet have found my self trying to see between others' shoulder-to-shoulder space, while my plus 1's couldn't see a thing! I always try to get to a place where they can get to see whenever poss. But i don't go in deep towards the front. Did that by myself '06 sf#2, and quickly w/drew-cuz two people taller than me, were in front of me, and a short couple on my left, were dancing and bumping into me, alot...
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    As long as someone doesn't push in front of you like a jerk, you can't blame them for blocking your view if they're tall.  It's one of the down sides of GA, but not their fault.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    I would have a strong urge to rip those tarps off and throw them in the trash.
    I would strongly urge you not to do a Redrocks show, lol.
    The reign of the tarps is over at red rocks! Per the top comment on the YouTube video posted and confirmed via the website. =)

I was wondering that. My local venue is all ga and they went with the no blanket rule, but towels and yoga mats are okay. People would lay blankets down in front of the rail and wander off to eat pizza and drink beer, coming back to expect their space to be there. What usually happened is that the blanket got kicked into a little ball as more people came to the front. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    I really can't imagine the mindset of someone that waits until showtime to push their way to the front.  I just don't understand why they would desire to do that knowing how many people they are going to piss off along the way.

Fuck them
    people who wear Rangers jerseys?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    bbiggs said:
    As long as someone doesn't push in front of you like a jerk, you can't blame them for blocking your view if they're tall.  It's one of the down sides of GA, but not their fault.
    views being blocked for some reason made me harken back to an episode of Sesame Street when I was a kid with Bert & Ernie at the movies and the puppet with the huge hat blocking their view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZpGRVY0Xrs

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    I was by myself at the festival. I am right at 6 ft tall and had a bit of obstructed  views especially when the sea of cell phones were up and recording. My wife and I are going to London for both shows next Summer. She is 5’ 4” tall. We have tickets in the 10C section. I am going to need to be strategic finding a place where she can actually see. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    The reign of the tarps is over at red rocks! Per the top comment on the YouTube video posted and confirmed via the website. =)

Blankets are allowed still...
    • Blankets, must not extend beyond your ticketed seating area (max size 40″ x 60″)

Not sure how big your tush is but mine is nowhere near 40".  My whole waist isn't even that big...  That is 3-1/2 feet.  you could fit 3 people on that.  Turn it the other way and you have 5 feet of real estate.  You could have a party on that, lol!
    Fair enough! Still a smaller party than the tarps so I’ll take it. :)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    SHZA said:
    I'm in the free for all camp on this one. You don't own the real estate and the vast majority of people near the front were flagrantly violating the "no towels beyond this point" sign and treating the field like it's their living room. If you want to stake out a spot, stand and suffer for 8 hours like the rest of us
    I think you DO sort of own the real estate.  People should respect that.  

If you are standing here, and there is one person in front of you, why is it ok for someone to push you out of the way, squeeze in front of you, and make everything unconfortable for both you and the person in front of you.  Your options at that point are to let the person pass you, or push them back behind you, which is not really what you want to be doing during a concert....expecially since this seems to happen during the whole performance. 

I really do hate GA lately.  There used to be a bit of a code that you dont push ahead of people that were there.  But now its all, "Hey, its GA, I can push you out of the way, thats totally acceptable!"

Give me seats.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    edited October 2021
    People who are saying seats are better must have good 10c #s!
    I'd rather sit anywhere, than deal with GA anymore.  

GA from 10-20 years ago, when boundaries were somewhat respected, sure.  But lately....(not just PJ), but people feel like its totally acceptable to just push ahead of where people are literally standing.  It becomes survival of the fittest...and even if you win, you have to deal with that stuff during the duration of the show, which can ruin the experience. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,453
    My take…

There definitely is a code.   There will always be idiots that violate the code.  Having a seat will (hopefully) help you avoid the idiots. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    And if you're very short... it's 1,000 X more frustrating and also so much harder to maintain a decent view of the stage. It just takes 1 jerk, not even a very tall one, and all you can see is sweaty jerky back of t-shirt.  Another reason I've moved more to seats when possible.
    In defense of those who have won the "genetic lottery" (a Bill Walton statement typed tongue in cheek--don't get all out of sorts), I am 6'5"....in my 37 years of attending shows (started when I was 14) I have heard it all.  My favorite being at a Jeff Tweedy solo show in SF.  I was there when the doors opened, walked up to a spot in front of the stage and waited the 45 minutes for Jeff to come on stage.  As the first song started I could hear two audibly distressed women talking behind me as if tall people don't speak their language. "F-this...I always get behind some tall dumbass that blocks my view..." blah, blah f-ing blah.  I usually don't say anything to the gripers and let them verbally punch themselves out.  But they kept ranting.  I finally turned around, put my hands on my knees in an admittedly belittling (pun intended) way and uttered a quote that my family has used for years now:

Short and late is no way to attend a concert.

I find a spot early in the show and move very little from that position.  At some point the people behind me have chosen to stand there...not my problem.  Oftentimes friends and family like the area behind me as it is like an eddy devoid of humanity....space to relax with less jostling.  If the average male height is 5'9" and the average female height is 5'4" I prove to be a visual impediment to a lot of people...I can promise you that you won't be pissed off at me because I rolled in and stood in front of you...but you can't be mad that you and I like a band and are attending the same show.
  • Options
    my wife is 5' on the nose. we don't do GA if she's coming, or even floor seats at all. we simply can't expect anyone taller than that to move out of her way or to let her in front. so either we stand back by the mixing desk or just get seats to the side. calling someone a jerk for being tall is....odd. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    JH6056 said:
    In defense of those who have won the "genetic lottery" (a Bill Walton statement typed tongue in cheek--don't get all out of sorts), I am 6'5"....in my 37 years of attending shows (started when I was 14) I have heard it all.  My favorite being at a Jeff Tweedy solo show in SF.  I was there when the doors opened, walked up to a spot in front of the stage and waited the 45 minutes for Jeff to come on stage.  As the first song started I could hear two audibly distressed women talking behind me as if tall people don't speak their language. "F-this...I always get behind some tall dumbass that blocks my view..." blah, blah f-ing blah.  I usually don't say anything to the gripers and let them verbally punch themselves out.  But they kept ranting.  I finally turned around, put my hands on my knees in an admittedly belittling (pun intended) way and uttered a quote that my family has used for years now:

I find a spot early in the show and move very little from that position.  At some point the people behind me have chosen to stand there...not my problem.  Oftentimes friends and family like the area behind me as it is like an eddy devoid of humanity....space to relax with less jostling.  If the average male height is 5'9" and the average female height is 5'4" I prove to be a visual impediment to a lot of people...I can promise you that you won't be pissed off at me because I rolled in and stood in front of you...but you can't be mad that you and I like a band and are attending the same show.
    You're definitely right, I should have been clearer in what I said. Because I'm short, almost ANYONE is going to block my view if I'm standing behind them. If I arrive after them, it's on me to bob & shift side to side trying to see the band, and it is what it is, been like that for all my years of concert going & being in GA.  Also why if I'm not at the very front of the front, I don't even try to be 2 or 4 rows back because I'll still most likely not be able to see.

What I said about "jerks" moving in front of me is DEFINITELY only for people pushing their way up and then literally squeezing into a tiny bit of airspace so ALL I see is t-shirt. Nothing else. And ZERO sense of awareness or care about totally runing anyone else's view.

One of my best buds in town is 6'6" and we talk about it all the time, he's kind of like you and I totally support that.  If something or someone that will totally block my view is there when we get there, OR in things like plays or musicals or movie theaters, when there are reserved assigned seats, if I get behind a tall person, it just is what it is, I either chose it (GA and I got there after them) or if it's reserved seats, it is what it is, I just gotta hope I know the people next to me so I can essentially lean into their laps the whole 2 hour play (KIDDING, I don't really do that! But I also don't see much).

So I hear ya, and I never am the short person who arrives after you and complains about you being in the way or asking you to move. "Jerks" was ONLY meant for the just-before-main-band-bulldoze-through people who end up RIGHT in front of me. But only temporarily. One way or another, we get them gone.  

Taller people like to be close too and have the right to be!  
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    I'm tall and if I grab a rail spot, not giving it away. Usually rock out so people will get a glimpse of the stage here and there.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    It doesn't matter if you are short or average height once people start sticking their phones up in the air to record every other song. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    It doesn't matter if you are short or average height once people start sticking their phones up in the air to record every other song. 
    yep....that's the most annoying thing
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652

Truth.
    Fuck them, so hard.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

You're definitely right, I should have been clearer in what I said. Because I'm short, almost ANYONE is going to block my view if I'm standing behind them. If I arrive after them, it's on me to bob & shift side to side trying to see the band, and it is what it is, been like that for all my years of concert going & being in GA.  Also why if I'm not at the very front of the front, I don't even try to be 2 or 4 rows back because I'll still most likely not be able to see.

What I said about "jerks" moving in front of me is DEFINITELY only for people pushing their way up and then literally squeezing into a tiny bit of airspace so ALL I see is t-shirt. Nothing else. And ZERO sense of awareness or care about totally runing anyone else's view.

One of my best buds in town is 6'6" and we talk about it all the time, he's kind of like you and I totally support that.  If something or someone that will totally block my view is there when we get there, OR in things like plays or musicals or movie theaters, when there are reserved assigned seats, if I get behind a tall person, it just is what it is, I either chose it (GA and I got there after them) or if it's reserved seats, it is what it is, I just gotta hope I know the people next to me so I can essentially lean into their laps the whole 2 hour play (KIDDING, I don't really do that! But I also don't see much).

So I hear ya, and I never am the short person who arrives after you and complains about you being in the way or asking you to move. "Jerks" was ONLY meant for the just-before-main-band-bulldoze-through people who end up RIGHT in front of me. But only temporarily. One way or another, we get them gone.  

I was just using your post as a jumping off point...didn't take offense at all-I should have been clearer.  I actually never feel worse than when I am in reserved/assigned seats.  At least people can move from behind me at a GA show.  Although I am almost certain that some people at shows would not mind you leaning into them....makes it look like they might actually have a girlfriend.....  :)
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    So much hate for GA. I love it and hope they continue it for years to come. There's plenty of seats available to those who don't want to deal with GA. Don't ruin everyone elses fun cause you don't like it. 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    YES!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,226
    Vedd Hedd said:
    SHZA said:
    I'm in the free for all camp on this one. You don't own the real estate and the vast majority of people near the front were flagrantly violating the "no towels beyond this point" sign and treating the field like it's their living room. If you want to stake out a spot, stand and suffer for 8 hours like the rest of us
    I think you DO sort of own the real estate.  People should respect that.  

If you are standing here, and there is one person in front of you, why is it ok for someone to push you out of the way, squeeze in front of you, and make everything unconfortable for both you and the person in front of you.  Your options at that point are to let the person pass you, or push them back behind you, which is not really what you want to be doing during a concert....expecially since this seems to happen during the whole performance. 

I really do hate GA lately.  There used to be a bit of a code that you dont push ahead of people that were there.  But now its all, "Hey, its GA, I can push you out of the way, thats totally acceptable!"

Give me seats.  
    The personal space where you're standing, I agree. But sprawling out with towels like it's your house and anyone walking by has to navigate a minefield to get thru is not appropriate. Then when the band comes on there is space where people were previously sitting so others see an opening to try and sneak in.  
  • Options
    on2legs said:

Blankets are allowed still...
    • Blankets, must not extend beyond your ticketed seating area (max size 40″ x 60″)

Not sure how big your tush is but mine is nowhere near 40".  My whole waist isn't even that big...  That is 3-1/2 feet.  you could fit 3 people on that.  Turn it the other way and you have 5 feet of real estate.  You could have a party on that, lol!

Do not leave your waist on my tarp.  Halts maul!
    Stephan?  Is that you?

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    wall232 said:
    So much hate for GA. I love it and hope they continue it for years to come. There's plenty of seats available to those who don't want to deal with GA. Don't ruin everyone elses fun cause you don't like it. 
    Agree. After my first GA Pearl Jam show I decided to forget seats. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    wall232 said:
    I love GA, but hate the assholes that make it a shitty experience.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I was just using your post as a jumping off point...didn't take offense at all-I should have been clearer.  I actually never feel worse than when I am in reserved/assigned seats.  At least people can move from behind me at a GA show.  Although I am almost certain that some people at shows would not mind you leaning into them....makes it look like they might actually have a girlfriend.....  :)
    I think the person who posted right after you did think I meant "all tall people are jerks for being tall" so I thought you did too, but I think it's all cleared up now. All good!

And what you said about me leaning on the person next to me & maybe it's only way they look like they have a girlfriend took me back to Ernie & Bert clip in this convo cuz Ernie tries to climb in Bert's lap, but he doesn't say the magic words I just learned from you so it didn't work.

Next time it happens to me at a play, I'll hop in the person next to me's lap and when they complain I'll know to say "Dude, shut up. Just enjoy that everyone else here thinks you could get me as a girlfriend."

To which his taller, smarter, prettier actual girlfriend would probably say: "Hold my beer..." and next thing you know I'm kicked out of the show.

Gee, thanks a lot  huntersthompson!
    =)=)=)
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    mfc2006 said:
    wall232 said:
    I love GA, but hate the assholes that make it a shitty experience.

This
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I think the person who posted right after you did think I meant "all tall people are jerks for being tall" so I thought you did too, but I think it's all cleared up now. All good!

And what you said about me leaning on the person next to me & maybe it's only way they look like they have a girlfriend took me back to Ernie & Bert clip in this convo cuz Ernie tries to climb in Bert's lap, but he doesn't say the magic words I just learned from you so it didn't work.

Next time it happens to me at a play, I'll hop in the person next to me's lap and when they complain I'll know to say "Dude, shut up. Just enjoy that everyone else here thinks you could get me as a girlfriend."

To which his taller, smarter, prettier actual girlfriend would probably say: "Hold my beer..." and next thing you know I'm kicked out of the show.

=)=)=)
    First....let me apologize for this hypothetical pickle I got you into.  I will send you an imaginary drink and hope that you forgive me.  Second, there are about a thousand ways that I could run with this that all seem funny to me right now, but would probably get my senatorial bid in 2032 denied.....  :)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

=)=)=)
    I did. my bad for misinterpreting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    I always find PJ GA pits to be very tame. Maybe because I was going to punk shows as a teen but PJ pits are easy. A lot more bathroom and booze runs though. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    A huge problem that developed at the 10.1 show I think, I can't remember, I am still exhausted, but anyway, one of the guys working security up at the barrier was basically verbally threatening everyone that if they moved their spot was gone, that this was a musical festival and you can't keep spots for people.  It got kinda ugly for a minute, and frankly I was surprised.  This was a big dude and he was talking to a lady, it was not kosher.

On the height thing.  I wish I could shrink I guess, but it is not my fucking problem.  I try to be accomodating to people within reason if there is enough space, but when people demand I move back after I have been in the spot for 6-7 hours it is laughable. 

Plan in advance. Make friends.  Find a good spot and you will be fine.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652