Options

Sneaking Up at Ohana Encore - Not Cute

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Loujoe said:
    Once I had to go to the bathroom at a preparty. Just walked in and went. I hear people freaking out about something. Exit the john and see I cut a huge line. Whooooops!
    i did that at a Winnipeg Jets playoff block party. I saw the porta potties, guy came out, I went right in. Came out, I had an angry mob of people in a line a mile long. But the start of the line was a good 20 feet away from the john. I had no idea, I was just walking by and thought it was another group of people. Seriously innocent mistake. But holy shit did they give it to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Loujoe said:
    Once I had to go to the bathroom at a preparty. Just walked in and went. I hear people freaking out about something. Exit the john and see I cut a huge line. Whooooops!
    Obliviously walking through crime scenes and film shoots is sort of my M.O., but somehow, obliviously cutting a bathroom line just seems wrong. 

Bad @Loujoe
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    Oh man it’s been awhile since I’ve heard “evenbro”…. Love it
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    Ok storytime overload (all true, but sometimes overload).
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    Since when does "GA" mean "Go Ahead A-holes"?  Basic courtesy and etiquette should still apply.  If there's a gap enough that the people behind will not have to move to see or breathe, that's one thing.  But to shove in front of me leaving me zero room to move and then get angry at me when you brush up against me cuz you want to dance is total asshole behavior.  The EvenBros were out in full during Encore and I probably won't go back to Ohana for PJ because of it.  With EV (in 2019 and last Sat) it was the usual Ohana vibe--pretty chill.  For all 3 nights of PJ, it was entitled assholes showing up during the band before PJ and muscling their way forward.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    There’s a respect for people who have put the work in that should be there. People who don’t or say “it’s GA soooo” have never lined up at 6am. And that’s cool, not everyone wants to do that, but once you have you have an understanding about the code. 

Come up earlier. I was row 2/3 each night and went down about 4pm. You can make friends and take bathroom and drink breaks when needed. It’s not even that long of a wait.

Where the problem happens is shorter people want to leave room between them and the next person when we get to the timeframe when everyone stands up. It’s because they wanna be able to see and use that gap, and I get it, but it also leaves a big person sized gap and the snakes who run up find those.
    Agree on the code. Unfortunately the code varies depending on location of the show, whether it’s one band, the band playing, or if it’s a festival. Show up early and claim your spot. This also means no number system or lay down your blanket in line outside the venue at 6:00 am and then return at 11:00 expecting to have that spot. Blankets inside the venue just invite tension. And don’t maintain a big personal space bubble the closer you are to the rail. I’ve seen people have full on conniptions because they get bumped while on the rail. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2021
    The rail people at festivals can be kind of annoying if they’re only there for headliners.  

At ACL they tended to sit all day and face the audience while other bands played.  Backs up against the rail ignoring the artists all day.  These weren’t PJ fans.  They were there for some younger bands.  At the same time it could be a generational thing.  ACL is clearly not crafted for people in their 30s-50s these days.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    yeah, unfortunately, my "rail" days are long behind me. I don't recall ever getting rail for any show, to be honest. Just didn't want the hassle, no matter the band. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RD81760RD81760 Posts: 124
    This is a band rooted in mosh pits and crowd surfing, yes its annoying but GA is GA
  • Options
    I'm finding this thread to be totally fascinating to read everyone's views and experiences. I guess I've been very lucky to be right up front a few times and each was transformative and memorable in their own way: drank Ed's wine / caught his pick at MSG 2010, high-fived Ed during Jeremy in 2000 and involuntarily slid through a sweaty mess of bodies at Lolla 2007 during a raucous SOLAT, only to "re-surface" like 5 feet from the rail., scary but amazing...also resulted in my profile pic from the PJ20 book.)  While those all felt like fandom-defining PJ moments, the one thing I've found about being that close is it just doesn't sound quite as good and becomes more of a visual experience, vs. an aural one. For me the sweet spot is like 20-30 feet in front of the soundboard (if it's in the center) which seemed to be readily available every night at Ohana without pissing anyone off. In fact, that's what I loved most about Ohana: there was little to no pressure to get a pretty great spot and the sound / sight-lines were fantastic from almost everywhere. I hope they play it every year!
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited October 2021
    I'm finding this thread to be totally fascinating to read everyone's views and experiences. I guess I've been very lucky to be right up front a few times and each was transformative and memorable in their own way: drank Ed's wine / caught his pick at MSG 2010, high-fived Ed during Jeremy in 2000 and involuntarily slid through a sweaty mess of bodies at Lolla 2007 during a raucous SOLAT, only to "re-surface" like 5 feet from the rail., scary but amazing...also resulted in my profile pic from the PJ20 book.)  While those all felt like fandom-defining PJ moments, the one thing I've found about being that close is it just doesn't sound quite as good and becomes more of a visual experience, vs. an aural one. For me the sweet spot is like 20-30 feet in front of the soundboard (if it's in the center) which seemed to be readily available every night at Ohana without pissing anyone off. In fact, that's what I loved most about Ohana: there was little to no pressure to get a pretty great spot and the sound / sight-lines were fantastic from almost everywhere. I hope they play it every year!

Shush you.  Top of the incline in front of or near the soundboard was the spot for Ohana. That is where we were. Easy in easy out and great view over everyone. Oh yeah we also got to say hello to most of the bands on the undercard and Jill Vedder,  as the friends and family viewing platform was above the sound board.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Get_Right said:

Shush you.  Top of the incline in front of or near the soundboard was the spot for Ohana. That is where we were. Easy in easy out and great view over everyone. Oh yeah we also got to say hello to most of the bands on the undercard and Jill Vedder,  as the friends and family viewing platform was above the sound board.

That's where we were for most of weekend #1. Perfect sound.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Get_Right said:

That's where we were for most of weekend #1. Perfect sound.
    Yep except for Friday when the sound for Ed's band was a bit distorted with Pino dropping bombs.  Still loved it.
  • Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    if you want to see a real battle for front space in a general admission area, go check out a phish show.  the rail people there are mentally unbalanced
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

Ha ha - I take back everything I said!!
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    if you want to see a real battle for front space in a general admission area, go check out a phish show.  the rail people there are mentally unbalanced
    to the point, where a more well known rail rider in the scene would tape off a box on the floor for you not to step in, or get ready....
    then there is also the "tarping" of areas in the phish scene in general admission festivals/pits.  yall aint seen nothing
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    edited October 2021
    The rail people at festivals can be kind of annoying if they’re only there for headliners.  

At ACL they tended to sit all day and face the audience while other bands played.  Backs up against the rail ignoring the artists all day.  These weren’t PJ fans.  They were there for some younger bands.  At the same time it could be a generational thing.  ACL is clearly not crafted for people in their 30s-50s these days.  
    Not sure I totally agree on your take on ACL.  I mean George Strait and Duran Duran were headliners this year. ha.  However, you also had Billie Eilish and Miley Cyrus so this year was a VERY diverse crowd.  But, out of all the major festivals ACL definitely skews the oldest crowd because there is always a legacy act.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:

Not sure I totally agree on your take on ACL.  I mean George Strait and Duran Duran were headliners this year. ha.  However, you also had Billie Eilish and Miley Cyrus so this year was a VERY diverse crowd.  But, out of all the major festivals ACL definitely skews the oldest crowd because there is always a legacy act.

I am over 50 and find ACL to be one of the best run festivals. Although it can be a long walk to the IPA tent when you do not want to drink that fire branded swill.
  • Options
    We were at Ohana 1 and it was our 3rd time.  Definitely seemed a little less "chill" for Pearl Jam Sunday evening.  I legit had to pee and went during Crazy Mary (unfortunately for me no long Boom jam... :s).  Anyway in trying to make it back to my wife some dude stuck his elbow in my ribs and refused to let me pass.  I told him my situation and then moved along.  It's actually pretty funny looking back as I'm sure after all of these posts no one believed me  B).  Still a dink move BTW...
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    Loujoe said:
    i did that at a Winnipeg Jets playoff block party. I saw the porta potties, guy came out, I went right in. Came out, I had an angry mob of people in a line a mile long. But the start of the line was a good 20 feet away from the john. I had no idea, I was just walking by and thought it was another group of people. Seriously innocent mistake. But holy shit did they give it to me. 
    Lol. I felt like if I could put it back and wait in line I would have done it!

Sorry @dankind . I'm really a good person. My mom told me so.
  • Options
    We were at Ohana 1 and it was our 3rd time.  Definitely seemed a little less "chill" for Pearl Jam Sunday evening.  I legit had to pee and went during Crazy Mary (unfortunately for me no long Boom jam... :s).  Anyway in trying to make it back to my wife some dude stuck his elbow in my ribs and refused to let me pass.  I told him my situation and then moved along.  It's actually pretty funny looking back as I'm sure after all of these posts no one believed me  B).  Still a dink move BTW...
    We were in the first third on Friday, so close but not that close, and it was the first time we've tried to be sort of close. It was fun, but I don't know if I need to do it again. It got so smashed in there and that's not my thing and also plenty of people squeezing in front and not caring. I guess, whatever. But I also left to go to the bathroom before PJ, they hadn't even started and I was wiggling my way back to my wife and I was making some people very mad. Even though we'd been there for two-plus hours at that point. Lots of go back to the back and crap like that. Don't know how common it is but I was a little taken back.

There was lots of space on Friday from the beach towel section on. Saturday was more crowded. We decided to check it out from the bleachers and that was just fine by me. It was fun to be close once, though, but everyone else who wants it can for the most part have it!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    Add to the story overload. 
    Nothing beat way back whenever when ga meant a giant pit and no one cared about anything but the music and going nuts.
    End of storytime.
    Love and respect fellow music fans. I'm over it all for the moment.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    Loujoe said:
    Nothing beat way back whenever when ga meant a giant pit and no one cared about anything but the music and going nuts.
    End of storytime.
    Yes!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    We were in the first third on Friday, so close but not that close, and it was the first time we've tried to be sort of close. It was fun, but I don't know if I need to do it again. It got so smashed in there and that's not my thing and also plenty of people squeezing in front and not caring. I guess, whatever. But I also left to go to the bathroom before PJ, they hadn't even started and I was wiggling my way back to my wife and I was making some people very mad. Even though we'd been there for two-plus hours at that point. Lots of go back to the back and crap like that. Don't know how common it is but I was a little taken back.

There was lots of space on Friday from the beach towel section on. Saturday was more crowded. We decided to check it out from the bleachers and that was just fine by me. It was fun to be close once, though, but everyone else who wants it can for the most part have it!
    I had a similar experience before Ed started night two. I appreciated the big guys locking it down, but they weren’t swayed when I said I’d been here for 3 hours. Probably because the chumps cutting to the front who just got there said the same thing. 

One bad one that stood out was some woman cutting through the crowd holding up two full cups of red wine over her head. I thought ‘this won’t end well’. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    edited October 2021
    Loujoe said:
    End of storytime.
    It is certainly a different vibe than when I started going to GA shows in California in the early 80's. It was a free for all, with the only etiquette was be careful who you bumped into, because a there was a good chance a fight could break out depending on who it was. There was a person Friday asking people (me included) to step back and give their group some space. There was no one within 3 feet of them at the time.
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    Loujoe said:
    End of storytime.
    It is certainly a different vibe than when I started going to GA shows in California in the early 80's. It was a free for all, with the only etiquette was be careful who you bumped into, because a there was a good chance a fight could break out depending on who it was. There was a person Friday asking people (me included) to step back and give their group some space. There was no one within 3 feet of them at the time.
    a lot of punk shows, the smaller venues are still like that here in Boston.  you can be their first but you end up getting caught in maelstroms here and there and to quote someone above, resurface elsewhere.   it's awesome 
  • Options
    Not a ga story but I remember buffalo 2003 and in the encore I think it was ritfw, people were jumping over the boards and the entire floor section was chaos. 
  • Options
    Not a ga story but I remember buffalo 2003 and in the encore I think it was ritfw, people were jumping over the boards and the entire floor section was chaos. 
    Great bootleg. I can understand the chaos
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    JH6056 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know you lined up and all but it is General Admission, they had the same right to be in that spot as you.  Just my humble opinion.
    That's why seats are better.  ;)
    I can't tell if your ;) at the end means you're being a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but sincerely I thought general admission meant no assigned seating, but once you were in 1st come 1st served, you had a right to protect your space?  When did GA mean  you can show up whenever you want and bulldoze your way to the front?

Does that mean that while waiting in the merch lines it's ok to bulldoze your way to the front to buy, since it's kind of a GA situation?

People who do that know others can stop them and say "Nope, not gonna happen", especially at the front where it's already tight.  Holding the line is nothing those people don't expect, but they also are used to people being too shy or too tired to argue about it. Which only reinforces it.
    It’s always been this way, we’re just older and seeing it differently 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    vedpunk said:

They always have a few legacy acts at the top every year from rock or country but I can’t relate to most of the lineup anymore.  And that’s perfectly fine.  My kids love it way more now lol