Options

A passing thought from Dave Abbruzzese

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    100 Pacer said:
    i'm 46. do i ever think about my girlfriend from 30 years ago?
    oops was that out loud?
    same thing here lol
    A fella my wife briefly dated works for a local news channel…every time he’s on the kids will shout out “mommy’s old boyfriend!” and she gets that look in her eye like she wants to toss the television at me for telling the kids in the first place.

🤣

At least they didnt shout out "Hey, there's Uncle Tony!" or "Hey Mom, it is your special friend!"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Would anyone here not pay to see a show with a guaranteed short Dave A reunion set?
    Sure I'd pay.  but I wouldn't pay anymore than for any other PJ show.  In fact, market wise I'd pay less.  Who knows if he's any good anymore. 
    I am thinking market wise if this was a one off scalpers would be charging through the roof
    I agree.  I just think the nostalgia for Dave is over the top. 
    I’m not sure it’s all nostalgia though. I think many just feel the band sounded best with him. I do. And I didn’t get into the band until ‘96 so I have no emotional attachment to him. But simply as a listener of the countless PJ live recordings there are, I much prefer Dave on the Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy songs to Jack or Matt…despite having much more emotional attachment to them. 

But I get what you’re saying. Any notion that PJ fell off when they got rid of him, or that he deserves anything from the band, or that the band should ring him up to play with them, is absurd. It’s also annoying how every live PJ YouTube video from 91-94 has a comment section filled with comments about him. And look, he was great. But I don’t buy that that era is the “real” Pearl Jam just because he’s there as those comment sections suggest. 

And frankly, dude made out like a bandit being credited on as a co-songwriter on all those Vs/Vitalogy songs. Small Town, RVM, Not For You, Corduroy…those are all written solely by Eddie. Animal, Last Exit, Daughter, STBC….all Gossard/Vedder songs like the Ten songs were. We know the Go riff is his. He likely deserves his credit on WMA as well. But my point is he more than did well for himself from his PJ years, and if fans want to reminisce about him, whatever, but he shouldn’t be putting stuff out there like what’s in the OP. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    I was listening to the Stone Gossard takeover weekend on Sirius XM during a long road trip in an RV. He actually talked a lot about Dave A, almost like they regret not giving him his due. He talked in depth about him writing the song Go and finished with "Dave, wherever you are out there, we miss you."

stone and mike seem to be the warmest to him. stone especially, from the get go, accepting the grammy and thanking dave, immediate death glare from ed. that was priceless. 

hash this out over waffles, guys, git er done. 
    Ed should just invite the guy for one song.  One song and then it’s over and done.  
    Whipping please.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    but why is it the band's responsibility to give him the opportunity? I doubt it would be one and done. if it happened, people would clamor for more. dave might even do that. CLASSIC LINEUP TOUR!!! they'd all shout. 

the hall of fame would have been the time to do it. and they didn't or they did and he refused or whatever bullshit happened. but it's over. (unless the band says it's not) 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FlavafrazFlavafraz Pennsylvania Posts: 408
    Ya maybe it would of eventually of happened if not for all Dave’s badmouthing of Ed and how he was let go for so long. If he just kept everything cool and cordial I’m sure I would of happened 
  • Options

That would be amazing. He's a much better fit for the band than the least grooviest drummer to ever drum, Matt Cameron.

Coincidentally, I hear Matt carries his wallet around with him because he doesn't know what a pocket is.
  • Options
    I like Dave.  Great drummer  . I dont  get  the  hate on him. Nevermind. We are all just humans trying  to live.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 138
    For anyone that wants to badmouth Matt, first big question. Do you not like listening to Temple of The Dog? Also what memorable acts has Dave been in since Pearl Jam? While most have not, plenty of other musicians in the grunge era, along with other genres, have found success after leaving or being fired from bands. Great as he was for those 3 years, I don't get the point trying to rehash this conversation over and over again since 1994. I'd be more interested in having REM or Screaming Trees get back together.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited September 2021
    bmurray06 said:
    Also what memorable acts has Dave been in since Pearl Jam? 
    Guns N' Roses. 

Riddle me this Batman -- Name another Pearl Jam member who has been in a band as memorable as Guns N' Roses?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    More curiously - whilst people are romantic at times about the Dave A in the band in 1993, would he even have the same energy and intensity now almost 30 years on? he might no longer 'have it'. 

We know Matt C brings it every show........ and brings it 100%.......Sometimes its better to live in the present rather than the past
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

Riddle me this Batman -- Name another Pearl Jam member who has been in a band as memorable as Guns N' Roses?
    You can define "memorable" how it fits for you, but Soundgarden stands up to GnR, to me.

I am a GnR fan as much as many but as great as Appetite was, give me Badmotorfinger if we can only pick one record between the bands.
    Also, body of work is no comparison, to me.

Matt was actually part of SG since the mid 80s, as well.  I am not a Dave nor GnR scholar but I don't recall him being an actual member of GnR.  If he was I don't believe it was for too long.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited September 2021
    bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

You can define "memorable" how it fits for you, but Soundgarden stands up to GnR, to me.

I am a GnR fan as much as many but as great as Appetite was, give me Badmotorfinger if we can only pick one record between the bands.

Matt was actually part of SG since the mid 80s, as well.  I am not a Dave nor GnR scholar but I don't recall him being an actual member of GnR.  If he was I don't believe it was for too long.

But Matt was in SG before PJ. So that band is cheating. The question was "since Pearl Jam" started.

TICK

TOCK

He has been in SG after joining pearl Jam also. Batman wins. The Riddler is sent to Arkham.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It might be a lost in translation issue but I don't see "since" in the question you asked....although it was asked about Dave.

bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

• Options
    It might be a lost in translation issue but I don't see "since" in the question you asked....although it was asked about Dave.

bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

It is implied ;)
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    More curiously - whilst people are romantic at times about the Dave A in the band in 1993, would he even have the same energy and intensity now almost 30 years on? he might no longer 'have it'. 

We know Matt C brings it every show........ and brings it 100%.......Sometimes its better to live in the present rather than the past
    For one song or even 5 at one show, i’m sure that mfer would give it everything he had in him. Even if he isn’t as consistent as Matt. But guest appearance? No doubt it would be fun to see. As someone else referenced he did that vid with fans and sounded good.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

But Matt was in SG before PJ. So that band is cheating. The question was "since Pearl Jam" started.

TICK

TOCK

He has been in SG after joining pearl Jam also. Batman wins. The Riddler is sent to Arkham.

Was he really "in" GnR?   I thought he just did some rehearsals.  Did he ever appear on an album or tour?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

TICK

TOCK

Was he really "in" GnR?   I thought he just did some rehearsals.  Did he ever appear on an album or tour?
    No, but he made Axl destroy an aquarium when he decided to leave. If I remember Dave A's story correctly.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2021
    I don’t blame him one bit for feeling that way or even if he’s struggled with the disappointment of this for 30 years.  It’s gotta hurt.  

Nobody really knows how it all went down, and Ed has every right to make that move if he needed to for any reason… personality conflict, stylistic differences etc.  Seriously, more power to him to surround himself with whoever he wants and make any changes he wants to be comfortable enough to create and become the artist he is.  There’s a LOT of people that don’t get to be in/stay in that circle.

BUT… despite all the things I admire about Ed, I’ve always been puzzled by this stone cold stance against Dave.  It would be one thing if Ed was extremely private about his relationships, but he’s not.  Ed almost goes over the top in touting his friendships and who he knows.  He will absolutely lavish praise on so many other musicians, celebs and pretty much any semi popular pro athlete to the extent that it actually takes up time during shows so he can talk about his famous surfer buddies or one of the ramones or some hockey player. He made everyone in the LA Forum listen to Tim Robbins play a song back in 06. Both nights.  Seems like there’s no shortage of names he’ll drop or love he’ll show to his cool friends.  And to his credit, by just about all accounts I’ve read on here, he’s extremely cool and generous during encounters with fans and regular people. Like really cool. I know he’s always got every eye in the room on him and it takes a lot to maintain the reputation he has of being cool to everyone. 

All I’m saying is, I just wish he would say something nice about Dave.  

And Stone.
    All of what you say actually begs the question for me, or raises the high high likelihood since it's such an outlier, that there is MOST LIKELY a BUNCH of stuff we do not know about what went down.

And that's really where I stop trying to figure it out and stop wondering what mentions or kudos or reuniting will or won't happen.

Band relationships are, literally, like family relationships.  And they're business relationships too.  There is SO MUCH that goes down, and sure, often all parties involved in a conflict or disruption have moments of behaving in ways they definitely wouldn't want the world to know about.  Some take responsibility for those times, others deny or pretend they didn't happen.  But relationships are complicated because dagnabbit, they involve humans.

We have no idea the full scope of what went down, and IF there was anything egregious that happened on Dave's part, most in the PJ camp wouldn't want to get into that public spectacle thing of telling the sordid details just to get Dave to be quiet.  They seem like the kind of band who would take the high road and let him say what he wants to say if he's going to do that publicly, but PJ not open that can of worms publicly on their end.

And I fully respect that.

Look around... What other powerhouse bands from the early 90s and that scene are still together, almost all original members intact, and still making great music and doing incredible shows?  Pearl Jam figured out something about maintaining a level of mental health, safety, sanity, space and creativity.  For anyone going to Ohana or SHN or whatever shows are ahead of us, we can all be grateful they figured it out, because literally NO OTHER BAND from that era is still together AND thriving like they are.  

So I don't question their approach to Dave, which as someone said re: Stone's comments, they clearly are not all unified in their views of or feelings about what went down with his departure. But they've figured out how to keep going despite whatever happened, and I hope Dave is figuring out or will figure out a way to do the same. No matter how wronged he feels he was, or still is, and no matter how if ALL the details were publicly known maybe more of us would say "Oh wow, you guys did him WRONG!", no matter any of that, the bottom line is it is HELLA UNHEALTHY and toxic for someone to dwell on something they can't change.  Can't change what happened in the past, and can't try to public shame a group of people into doing something in the present or future.  I feel bad for him more because of how much this still seems to eat at him than for what actually happened back then, whatever it was.  Because today is what he still has power over and he seems to spend a lot of his todays being bitter about yesterday.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bmurray06 said:
    Guns N' Roses. 

TICK

TOCK

No, but he made Axl destroy an aquarium when he decided to leave. If I remember Dave A's story correctly.
    Let's face it. It probably doesn't take much to get Axl to destroy an aquarium. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    How many other musicians make such a big deal out of being kicked out of a band 20+ years later?
    There are likely examples but I don't know any.  
    I think it’s about as easy naming someone from a band that is successful after their daparture.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited September 2021
    DewieCox said:
    How many other musicians make such a big deal out of being kicked out of a band 20+ years later?
    I think it’s about as easy naming someone from a band that is successful after their daparture.
    There's plenty of examples of that....

Peter Gabriel after leaving Genesis.

Ozzy Osbourne after leaving Black Sabbath.

Dr. Dre and Ice Cube after leaving NWA.

Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake after leaving their respective pop groups.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    @JH6506, I couldn't have said it better myself. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Sounds to me like Dave Mustaine is the answer to every question in here
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    I like Dave.  Great drummer  . I dont  get  the  hate on him. Nevermind. We are all just humans trying  to live.  
    This is my thought as well.

And, no one will ever know the real back story here. So it's pointless to even bring that stuff up. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    DewieCox said:

Are you answering the actual question with this list?  I didn't think any of those people were "kicked out" of their bands, didn't they all LEAVE those bands?  I mean Beyonce, Destiny's Child was HER band! She pretty much went solo, and definitley didn't get kicked out.

Were Peter Gabriel and Ozzy kicked out of Genesis & Black Sabbath?  Were Dre or Ice Cube kicked out of NWA?
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    JH6056 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you answering the actual question with this list?  I didn't think any of those people were "kicked out" of their bands, didn't they all LEAVE those bands?  I mean Beyonce, Destiny's Child was HER band! She pretty much went solo, and definitley didn't get kicked out.

Were Peter Gabriel and Ozzy kicked out of Genesis & Black Sabbath?  Were Dre or Ice Cube kicked out of NWA?
    Ozzy was kicked out. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    DewieCox said:

I meant band’s success…but an interesting flip of the scenario. I bet there was some bitterness from the bands when those folks went onto even bigger success solo. 

I’d imagine if Dave A latched onto another successful band it would’ve ate at some of PJ boys when their popularity kinda stagnated in early 2000s and/or it possibly would’ve raised the likelihood of a guest spot.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

I meant band’s success…but an interesting flip of the scenario. I bet there was some bitterness from the bands when those folks went onto even bigger success solo. 

I’d imagine if Dave A latched onto another successful band it would’ve ate at some of PJ boys when their popularity kinda stagnated in early 2000s and/or it possibly would’ve raised the likelihood of a guest spot.
    I see, so you're looking for scenarios where someone leaves the band, but the band goes onto great heights without them. 

Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd is one....not that Syd probably gave a crap at that point.

Even though they were (in my opinion) a better band with Peter Gabriel, Genesis went on to have a lot of success without him. And even though Van Halen was (in everybody's opinion) a better band with Roth, they had a lot of success without him. 

The worst must be leaving or getting kicked out of a band right before they go onto great success. Pete Best, Dave Krusen, Dave Mustaine. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    DewieCox said:

Genesis is a great example.  They were a middling UK band until Phil started singing and they went more pop.  Then they were absolutely huge. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

I see, so you're looking for scenarios where someone leaves the band, but the band goes onto great heights without them. 

Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd is one....not that Syd probably gave a crap at that point.

Even though they were (in my opinion) a better band with Peter Gabriel, Genesis went on to have a lot of success without him. And even though Van Halen was (in everybody's opinion) a better band with Roth, they had a lot of success without him. 

The worst must be leaving or getting kicked out of a band right before they go onto great success. Pete Best, Dave Krusen, Dave Mustaine. 
    I could be mistaken, but I was always under the impression Krusen quit for personal reasons.