Options

A passing thought from Dave Abbruzzese

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Getting kicked out of a band is one thing.  Getting kicked out of a business that would never have you worry about money ever again is a different story.  

I don’t think that tweet is bad.  He wants to play a show with his old band.  Not unusual.
    yeah, I don't get the judgment dave gets constantly from this fan base of "move on". would you move on if basically millions of dollars were kind of snatched away from you in an instant? this isn't pining over an ex girlfriend. as you said, it's also the business side of it. missing out on touring the world, seeing exotic locations, playing in front of thousands of people every night. 
    Exactly.

Not to mention the popularity and legacy of the band was built upon the sound for which he was provided the rhythm and life force like blood flowing through veins.

Given To Fly type of songs isn’t want shot the band to the moon.
    :rofl::rofl:
    Dave A was not responsible for the popularity of Pearl Jam.  Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Getting kicked out of a band is one thing.  Getting kicked out of a business that would never have you worry about money ever again is a different story.  

I don’t think that tweet is bad.  He wants to play a show with his old band.  Not unusual.
    yeah, I don't get the judgment dave gets constantly from this fan base of "move on". would you move on if basically millions of dollars were kind of snatched away from you in an instant? this isn't pining over an ex girlfriend. as you said, it's also the business side of it. missing out on touring the world, seeing exotic locations, playing in front of thousands of people every night. 
    Exactly.

Not to mention the popularity and legacy of the band was built upon the sound for which he was provided the rhythm and life force like blood flowing through veins.

He wasn't either.  I think his counterpart, Little Nicky, may have played a larger part than Jesus.
    ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Sandys Rocket GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    I wonder if Dave A would've won the state championship if coach had put him in the game. I heard he can throw a football over them mountains.
    Napoleon!
    Uncle rico
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 138
    bmurray06 said:
    bmurray06 said:
    Also what memorable acts has Dave been in since Pearl Jam? 
    Guns N' Roses. 

Riddle me this Batman -- Name another Pearl Jam member who has been in a band as memorable as Guns N' Roses?
    Guns N' Roses memorable for sure, but not always for the right reasons. Enlighten me this Spiritual Chaos --- Wasn't late 90's more memorable for GnRs for not making music and being late or no shows for concerts than anything else? Also wasn't Jack Irons more substantial for RHCP (who actually created music throughout their career vs. GnR) in their early years than Dave was after PJ fired him?
    Late 90s was more memorable for GoldenEye on the Nintendo 64, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, the last theatrical outing in the franchise: Hellraiser: Bloodline and Axl Rose being so hurt by Dave A leaving he had to destroy an aquarium. 
    No one remembers late 90's GnRs with Dave A. Lauryn Hill killed it then. Radiohead's OK Computer was revolutionizing the industry. Hell, even Marcy's Playground and The Verve were doing better things than GnRs at that point. Goldeneye was the best videogame at the time. Also Yield killed it with Jack Irons! Axl Rose was just hurt by his own massive ego. Dude I love listening to old bootlegs with Dave A behind the kit. But he's not the reason why this band is still incredible to listen to to this day. With or without their flaws.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    I wonder if Dave A would've won the state championship if coach had put him in the game. I heard he can throw a football over them mountains.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774

Exactly.

You can’t make this shit up. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    Dave was one of many drummers who auditioned for GnR when it was Axl reassembling a band.

Apparently at the time he wanted to “obtain a sound between Nine Inch Nails and Pearl Jam“ which makes sense why he called members of those bands to audition.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Poncier said:

YOU'RE RUINING MY LIFE! 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    VOTE FOR PEDRO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Exactly.

That’s not what he said. There’s a lot to be said for how much energy he helped deliver in those early shows. Next to Ed, there’s really no one more important in that aspect.

What I find much odder than Dave A’s hangup, is the vitriol directed at him.
  • Options
    “obtain a sound between Nine Inch Nails and Pearl Jam“ 
    https://youtu.be/VcANDJH0hL8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Exactly.

That’s not what he said. There’s a lot to be said for how much energy he helped deliver in those early shows. Next to Ed, there’s really no one more important in that aspect.

What I find much odder than Dave A’s hangup, is the vitriol directed at him.
    I think it goes both ways.  On my videos that I post, there are countless posts extolling Dave and hammering MC.  To me, he had his time and place and it was great.  But that's over.  PJ decided either (or both) 1. That couldn't get along with Dave and his views 2. They wanted to be a guitar driven band, and the drums Dave played were the driving force, with Ed's lyrics.  That's not their style and maybe they didn't want it to be that way. 
  • Options
    My impression was that was always about personality and zero about style. But I'm not a member of PJ, so I suppose my impression means very little. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    My impression was that was always about personality and zero about style. But I'm not a member of PJ, so I suppose my impression means very little. lol
    Well we know that MC can lead a band, he certainly does in plenty of SG songs.  And everyone has commented/noticed how different his style is in PJ vs SG.  I had always assumed that was deliberate and how the band wanted it to be.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Well we know that MC can lead a band, he certainly does in plenty of SG songs.  And everyone has commented/noticed how different his style is in PJ vs SG.  I had always assumed that was deliberate and how the band wanted it to be.  
    I mean about Dave being fired. Are you saying they fired Dave A because they had Matt lined up because they preferred his style?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    I mean about Dave being fired. Are you saying they fired Dave A because they had Matt lined up because they preferred his style?
    They hired Matt after Jack left, no?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    & also after Soundgarden broke up. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    sorry, yes, I misspoke. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Poncier said:

LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    No... not A+B.  I'm saying there could be more than just the personality issue behind the move.  It may have been a dissatisfaction with the style considering it changed so dramatically after he left (live shows). 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    mfc2006 said:
    Poncier said:

LOL
    Yep, that's a few threads on the board lately. A microwaved flying pork chop to the face. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    There seems to be a clear reason why his drumming career didn't continue to flourish after the band.  Since his departure, I'm sure there are hundreds of bands that could have used a new drummer, and one who used to be in the biggest band in the world.  Pretty sure it has to do with Dave...and not his skillset.  
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    There seems to be a clear reason why his drumming career didn't continue to flourish after the band.  Since his departure, I'm sure there are hundreds of bands that could have used a new drummer, and one who used to be in the biggest band in the world.  Pretty sure it has to do with Dave...and not his skillset.  
    This is something I've always found so confusing. it's pretty rare for a musician to get fired or quit a massive band and not get picked up somewhere else. but don't you think, if it is what you are suggesting, it would be kind of a well known opinion, and not just conjecture on our part?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    mca47 said:
    This is something I've always found so confusing. it's pretty rare for a musician to get fired or quit a massive band and not get picked up somewhere else. but don't you think, if it is what you are suggesting, it would be kind of a well known opinion, and not just conjecture on our part?
    People with class don't talk about the negatives of another musician like that, out in the open.  Now, plenty of people don't have class, so sure, maybe more would be in the public ear about it, but mostly I'd guess it's the kind of thing where you just choose not to engage and keep it moving. That's my guess for why, if that's also part of why he wasn't in any other successful bands, why we might not hear about it if it was his personality or his playing or both.

Definitely seems that's why PJ rarely comments on it and never talks about negatives in ages...  At the time of his departure though, of course questions are going to be asked and obviously something was wrong, or else why make the change.  But what the details were, and how it's seen now, and why he didn't get picked up by other successful bands.... who knows, but musicians with class won't comment on it publicly.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    I follow him on FB.  Seems like a straight up, intelligent, fairly liberal guy.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    55 MA Posts: 157
    edited October 2021
    Dave A is a sweet guy and I don't get why any PJ fan has anything negative to say about him.  Dave was so nice to fans so how about lets just drop this.  I would love to see him sit in one day.  If you don"t have something nice to say about him just keep it to yourself 
    its not like anything posted here is going to make a difference in the matter anyway.
    Post edited by 5 on
  • Options
    Eye roll...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    :lol:
    If you don't agree with me, how about this - don't post.

This place is always good for some laughs.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 533
    1st. Cant believe this thread made it to 5 pages. 2nd and this constantly comes up with the regs on fan board- always reminiscing, taking for granted all we have. We are LUCKY to have Matt.