Options

A passing thought from Dave Abbruzzese

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    kaw753 said:
    I was listening to the Stone Gossard takeover weekend on Sirius XM during a long road trip in an RV. He actually talked a lot about Dave A, almost like they regret not giving him his due. He talked in depth about him writing the song Go and finished with "Dave, wherever you are out there, we miss you."

stone and mike seem to be the warmest to him. stone especially, from the get go, accepting the grammy and thanking dave, immediate death glare from ed. that was priceless. 

hash this out over waffles, guys, git er done. 
    Ed should just invite the guy for one song.  One song and then it’s over and done.  By ignoring Dave he lets him continue to be pain in the ass on social media.  Just give the guy his moment and then everyone can move on.  If Dave complains after that then he’s the bad guy.  
    I doubt ed is even aware of anything dave says in the media, social or MSM. 
    That’s possible but I’m pretty sure Ed has people who give him info.  Sort of like everyone was speculating that Bruce, Billy Joel and a hundred other people were going to be at the final spectrum show and Ed talked about it that night at the show.  Or when he picks up on special song requests made here and talks about it at a show.  I don’t think Ed is stalking the internet but I do think he has people who give him a heads up.  
    yeah, true enough. I just can't see those people who are told to keep their ear to the ground are actively monitoring Dave A's socials. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

This is not a passing thought.
    This is a seared-into-brain, nagging lifelong hope.
  • Options
    It’s silly to think they’d ever want to perform an entire album with him. But it would be cool if they ever brought him out for an encore and did five or six songs
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    It’s silly to think they’d ever want to perform an entire album with him. But it would be cool if they ever brought him out for an encore and did five or six songs
    So half an album.. there is a half hope! 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Right.  Matt Cameron is the drummer.  Full stop.  Nostalgia is great, but after 23 or whatever years with MC, their loyalty and love lies with him.  The rest is all about Dave and us. 
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Go,  Animal, WMA, Blood, Rearviewmirror, Daughter with tag…One can dream….
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    i'm 46. do i ever think about my girlfriend from 30 years ago?
    oops was that out loud?
    same thing here lol
  • Options
    Never trust someone saying they do not think about their former boy/girlfriend. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,181
    mcgruff10 said:
    It's so weird to think dave drummed on vitalogy since he wasn't around for the album tour.  I'd like to see him drum on immorality i.e. boston 94
    We got a live version from him on all the major Vitalogy tracks thankfully. Looks like they were debuting a lot of it early 94.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    How many other musicians make such a big deal out of being kicked out of a band 20+ years later?
    There are likely examples but I don't know any.  

Don Felder
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    oops was that out loud?
    same thing here lol

Exactly!  :lol:    
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Would anyone here not pay to see a show with a guaranteed short Dave A reunion set?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Would anyone here not pay to see a show with a guaranteed short Dave A reunion set?
    Sure I'd pay.  but I wouldn't pay anymore than for any other PJ show.  In fact, market wise I'd pay less.  Who knows if he's any good anymore. 
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    OTO concert featuring all past drummers  =)

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Sure I'd pay.  but I wouldn't pay anymore than for any other PJ show.  In fact, market wise I'd pay less.  Who knows if he's any good anymore. 
    He sounded good when he played RVM with those french fans
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I am thinking market wise if this was a one off scalpers would be charging through the roof
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    static111 said:

I wouldn't be paying for that. I'd be paying to see a PJ show. If Dave A came out for a set I'd probably feel like it's pretty weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I am thinking market wise if this was a one off scalpers would be charging through the roof
    I agree.  I just think the nostalgia for Dave is over the top. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I agree.  I just think the nostalgia for Dave is over the top. 
    I guess, but Dave was the one who toured Ten/Vs and recorded on Vs/Vitalogy (2 out of 3 of PJ's biggest albums).  For most of us he was the original drummer and Dave K. was kind of an interesting footnote as Dave K was pretty much gone before PJ took off and most of us listened to them.

I always feel bad for Dave A. Got to live the dream, then had it taken away.   The band kind of looks over his contributions and pretends he doesn't exist.

I think he kind of earned it. There's 11 PJ albums.  The first 5 are my favourite (I still love the back 6, but those first 5 are all out amazing).   Dave K. drummed on 1, Dave A on 2, and Jack Irons on 2.   They all deserve respect :)
  • Options
    I don’t blame him one bit for feeling that way or even if he’s struggled with the disappointment of this for 30 years.  It’s gotta hurt.  

Nobody really knows how it all went down, and Ed has every right to make that move if he needed to for any reason… personality conflict, stylistic differences etc.  Seriously, more power to him to surround himself with whoever he wants and make any changes he wants to be comfortable enough to create and become the artist he is.  There’s a LOT of people that don’t get to be in/stay in that circle.

BUT… despite all the things I admire about Ed, I’ve always been puzzled by this stone cold stance against Dave.  It would be one thing if Ed was extremely private about his relationships, but he’s not.  Ed almost goes over the top in touting his friendships and who he knows.  He will absolutely lavish praise on so many other musicians, celebs and pretty much any semi popular pro athlete to the extent that it actually takes up time during shows so he can talk about his famous surfer buddies or one of the ramones or some hockey player. He made everyone in the LA Forum listen to Tim Robbins play a song back in 06. Both nights.  Seems like there’s no shortage of names he’ll drop or love he’ll show to his cool friends.  And to his credit, by just about all accounts I’ve read on here, he’s extremely cool and generous during encounters with fans and regular people. Like really cool. I know he’s always got every eye in the room on him and it takes a lot to maintain the reputation he has of being cool to everyone. 

All I’m saying is, I just wish he would say something nice about Dave.  

And Stone.
  • Options
    I don’t blame him one bit for feeling that way or even if he’s struggled with the disappointment of this for 30 years.  It’s gotta hurt.  

Nobody really knows how it all went down, and Ed has every right to make that move if he needed to for any reason… personality conflict, stylistic differences etc.  Seriously, more power to him to surround himself with whoever he wants and make any changes he wants to be comfortable enough to create and become the artist he is.  There’s a LOT of people that don’t get to be in/stay in that circle.

BUT… despite all the things I admire about Ed, I’ve always been puzzled by this stone cold stance against Dave.  It would be one thing if Ed was extremely private about his relationships, but he’s not.  Ed almost goes over the top in touting his friendships and who he knows.  He will absolutely lavish praise on so many other musicians, celebs and pretty much any semi popular pro athlete to the extent that it actually takes up time during shows so he can talk about his famous surfer buddies or one of the ramones or some hockey player. He made everyone in the LA Forum listen to Tim Robbins play a song back in 06. Both nights.  Seems like there’s no shortage of names he’ll drop or love he’ll show to his cool friends.  And to his credit, by just about all accounts I’ve read on here, he’s extremely cool and generous during encounters with fans and regular people. Like really cool. I know he’s always got every eye in the room on him and it takes a lot to maintain the reputation he has of being cool to everyone. 

And Stone.
    almost spit out my water at that last sentence. lol. 

he said something nice about dave the one time he busted out Angel. but that was about it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edwho said:
    OTO concert featuring all past drummers  =)
    a revolving drum riser with all 5 of them on it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

And Stone.
    I can agree with all of this, which makes me think that whatever the issue is/was, it ran deep.  

Funny about Stone.  I bet that's just their relationship.  He's such a smart ass, standing there with his knowing smirk even when funny things are happening onstage.  Stone has always been my favorite member.  I can identify with him.  
  • Options

And Stone.
    Good post and hilarious ending!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,521
    oops was that out loud?
    same thing here lol
    A fella my wife briefly dated works for a local news channel…every time he’s on the kids will shout out “mommy’s old boyfriend!” and she gets that look in her eye like she wants to toss the television at me for telling the kids in the first place.

🤣
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    I’d love to see Dave playing with PJ again, but it would be a lot cooler if Jack did.
  • Options
    mvw said:
    I’d love to see Dave playing with PJ again, but it would be a lot cooler if Jack did.
    agreed
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    100 Pacer said:
    oops was that out loud?
    same thing here lol
    A fella my wife briefly dated works for a local news channel…every time he’s on the kids will shout out “mommy’s old boyfriend!” and she gets that look in her eye like she wants to toss the television at me for telling the kids in the first place.

🤣
    That's great! LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    oops was that out loud?
    same thing here lol
    I'm 47. my 12 year old actually brought up a girlfriend that I broke up with 25 years ago just other day. I talk about life experiences with my kids. i was with her for 5 years, and had a really big impact on who I am. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    The dude was drummer for what, 2 1/2 years out of 31?  
    Let It Go Let It Go - Frozen GIF - Let It Go Elsa Disney - Discover amp  Share GIFs
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......