Options

The elephant in the room....Covid and these Pearl Jam shows

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    everyone vaccinated/negative yet still afraid?! that seems highly irrational. 
    No fully vaccinated person is immune from Delta. Just means you stand a better chance of not getting seriously ill or dying. Is that enough to scare people? Sure, how about people with little kids. Or immunocompromised folks. . 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,827
    Loujoe said:
    It's in the air. Wipes dont help that.
    "Wipe. Wipe. Wipe."
    (For those Monk fans in the room)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Loujoe said:
    "Wipe. Wipe. Wipe."
    Hahaha!

tv show monk GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    OnWis97 said:
    Loujoe said:
    "Wipe. Wipe. Wipe."
    I was a wiper prepademic. People are filthy! 

NYPJ
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,879
    It's sad. This virus is going to control some people's lives for years to come. 
    People can live with children, elderly and immunocompromised individuals. The concern is there to protect others.  Be grateful you don’t have those concerns. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    edited September 2021
    People can live with children, elderly and immunocompromised individuals. The concern is there to protect others.  Be grateful you don’t have those concerns. 
    This is true. But there's also people that are just overly paranoid. And probably were pre-pandemic. If you were the type to be scared of things before COVID, then you're probably terrified of COVID. If you didn't give a fuck about anything pre-pandemic, you probably don't give a fuck about COVID. I'm pretty much in the middle. 

Did you wear a mask and/or stay six feet away from people at Sea Hear Now? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    This is true. But there's also people that are just overly paranoid. And probably were pre-pandemic. If you were the type to be scared of things before COVID, then you're probably terrified of COVID. If you didn't give a fuck about anything pre-pandemic, you probably don't give a fuck about COVID. I'm pretty much in the middle. 

I'm in a third category. Not a fearful, scared person pre-pandemic in a general sense. Still mostly not, but COVID does scare me. It's an awful way to die, and completely preventable. My neighbor is an ER doc here in my hometown and he talks about how fucking awful it is watching people die because they can't breathe, having organs shut down, etc., and really all it takes right now, in this time, is to get vaccinated and use mitigation strategies until things get better, and they inevitably will, but not while we're in the middle of this thing mutating and evolving in ways to kill us better. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    California has the lowest positivity rate and highest rate of vaccinated people in the country and cases continue to decline every day. This isn't Tennessee or Texas. Plus these shows are going to be outdoors, on the beach and they're requiring proof of vax or negative test. What is there to be worried about? Wear a mask and socially distant if you're scared or just don't go. Stop fear mongering and trying to ruin other people's good time.

I have a feeling all of the people expressing these doom and gloom concerns A. aren't in California and B. probably aren't even going.  
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612
    edited September 2021
    "California has the lowest positivity rate and highest rate of vaccinated people in the country"
    I hate to be whatever, but I was curious so I researched both those claims, and neither of them appear to be true. Yes, they are near the top of both lists, I am just wondering where you are getting the information you put out there as facts from?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,777
    edited September 2021
    RiotAct10 said:
    "California has the lowest positivity rate and highest rate of vaccinated people in the country"
    I hate to be whatever, but I was curious so I researched both those claims, and neither of them appear to be true. Yes, they are near the top of both lists, I am just wondering where you are getting the information you put out there as facts from?
    I know you are asking the OP but thought I would add California has the lowest case rate in the nation. It has a high vaccination rate compared to other states but is not number one. 
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612
    PJNB said:
    RiotAct10 said:
    I know you are asking the OP but thought I would add California has the lowest case rate in the nation. It has a high vaccination rate compared to other states but is not number one. 
    I know the numbers there are good, and I appreciate that. I just don't like things thrown out there as facts or absolutes that aren't. Just being nitpicky is all. Also, in regard to the festival, I am not sure it is fair to use California numbers as something too significant, with people flying in from all over. Just saying.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,777
    edited September 2021
    RiotAct10 said:
    PJNB said:
    RiotAct10 said:
    I know the numbers there are good, and I appreciate that. I just don't like things thrown out there as facts or absolutes that aren't. Just being nitpicky is all. Also, in regard to the festival, I am not sure it is fair to use California numbers as something too significant, with people flying in from all over. Just saying.
    I am honestly more worried about catching covid travelling or eating food/ staying in hotels in California more so than the concert itself. Knowing the state is doing fairly well makes my wife and my decision that much easier to make the trip. People travelling to see PJ is definitely happening and should be factored into the conversation as well as you mentioned. I am now going to bow out of this convo since I was not the one making the claims. 
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2021
    Actually I'd say you assuming people are "afraid" is what is highly irrational.  Saying one is still concerned or thoughtful or careful or cautious is not the same as hiding in one's basement wrapped in bubble wrap until 2025.  Some of us have all sorts of reasons for being extra cautious: we know vaxxed people who've gotten Delta in breakthrough cases, we live with people too young or medically fragile to be vaxxed, we know healthcare workers dealing with mostly unvaxxed really sick people but we don't want to add at all to their problems in anyway by passing it on in a breakthrough case...

It's possible to have real concerns or hesitations and also still be out and about and mostly feeling like the risks you're taking you've been thoughtful about.  I am not "afraid".  I'm a realist. 

And I'm a realist who went to SHN and would love to go to Ohana Encore.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Actually I'd say you assuming people are "afraid" is what is highly irrational.  Saying one is still concerned or thoughtful or careful or cautious is not the same as hiding in one's basement wrapped in bubble wrap until 2025.  Some of us have all sorts of reasons for being extra cautious: we know vaxxed people who've gotten Delta in breakthrough cases, we live with people too young or medically fragile to be vaxxed, we know healthcare workers dealing with mostly unvaxxed really sick people but we don't want to add at all to their problems in anyway by passing it on in a breakthrough case...

It's possible to have real concerns or hesitations and also still be out and about and mostly feeling like the risks you're taking you've been thoughtful about.  I am not "afraid".  I'm a realist. 

And I'm a realist who went to SHN and would love to go to Ohana Encore.
    Well stated. Have a blast attendees! 

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    Horse2345 said:
    I've been feeling pretty free and loose since I've been vaxxed. My neighbor who got J and J  found out his co-worker was positive while he was over at our house partying. We all kinda shit and still kept drinking. He later tested positive and we went through a rollercoaster week waiting to test and get results of our own. We all had the two other vaccines, so that probably was in our favor, but I literally took a sip from his shitty maple pear seltzer. I don't know how I got lucky. This has since made me be a lot more cautious. It is not the same as a little cold when you think of some of the quarantine requirements at jobs when you get Covid. That would have jacked up my sick time and being behind at work let alone my health. I will not attend any show not requiring vax cards. It's just not worth it.
    It’s a respiratory virus so nearly impossible to get from shitty seltzer lol
    Maybe it was difficult for you to infer, but we were close and talking and socializing. He didn't throw the can to me from across the room...
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    RiotAct10 said:
    https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/california-case-rate-positivity-rate/

And you're right, California has only 71% vaccinated and is ranked 10th. BUT the population of California is equal to more than the top 9 states combined. So taking population into account, yes. We are number fuckin one. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    I'm in California. Fully vaccinated since March. Going both weekends. Taking my mask and hand sanitizer. Planning to stay back and avoid the pit/ heaviest crowds. Will wear my mask if I'm in line for food/ drinks, not sure about the rest of the time.

Normally, I don't wear a mask outdoors but I do wear one when shopping or at an indoor concert (we've been to a few -- classical, so older crowd, masks strictly enforced).

Am I paranoid? I don't think so; I just don't like taking unnecessary risks. My biggest covid fear is having "long COVID." I finally saw an article today noting how long COVID seems to be an autoimmune issue; having lived with an autoimmune disease for thirteen-odd years, it sure sounded like one to me. I'd rather not lose another year or two to brain fog and constant fatigue, so I'll take precautions when I feel the situation warrants it.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    lexicondevil said:
    He didn't throw the can to me from across the room...
    You didn't bring your 6' straw?

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    This went much longer than I anticipated before the mud started being thrown....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,879

Yes, I did.  I wore a mask the entire time and I stayed the greatest distance I could from others, sometimes six feet was penetrated lol.  

And I'm happy I was extra cautious.  Others had a great time with no worries and I'm happy for them too.  We all have to do our own thing.  

If I was "scared", I would have stayed home.  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

Yes, I did.  I wore a mask the entire time and I stayed the greatest distance I could from others, sometimes six feet was penetrated lol.  

And I'm happy I was extra cautious.  Others had a great time with no worries and I'm happy for them too.  We all have to do our own thing.  

If I was "scared", I would have stayed home.  
    Well at least you practice what ya preach. That’s commendable. I agree that everyone should do their own thing. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,233
    biz999 said:
    lexicondevil said:
    He didn't throw the can to me from across the room...
    You didn't bring your 6' straw?

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,828
    Nobody's right when everybody's wrong
  • Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    Loujoe said:
    Nobody's right when everybody's wrong
    truth bomb
  • Options
    I bought my Ohana Encore tickets in that brief sunny window of time when things seemed to be trending to covid being a thing of the past. As delta ramped up I've been going back and forth on whether I should go. I'm healthy and in my 30's but I do have a father with a heart condition and take care of my two baby nieces. I live in CA and only have a short flight to the event. As far as risk goes, an outdoor concert with beach breezes sounds pretty safe to me. I dont' plan on trying for the rail, I'll be fine hanging back and soaking it all in. mask will go on when it feels too crowded.I also plan on taking a rapid test and quarantining away from my family for a couple days when I get back. Hope it all works out for all of us. 
  • Options
    Great question/post OP.
    i'm fully vaccinated and still got the variant last month.  Scares me that we may not have live music in the future as the variant seems to dominate even those that are vaccinated eventually.  i hope they encourage the booster shots to everyone.  It was great watching social media this weekend and seeing everyone have fun being together again up in North Jersey with our band. I just fear that many will still get sick. Fortunately for me and my family, after 3-4 days of severe flu like symptoms, the next week were more or less of an inconvenience and a light flu or a big cold.  I also saved a ton of $ as my wife hasn't been able to taste now for a month meaning 7 bottles of wine she's not making me buy her each week LOL.
    I think in the end we just have to accept that being vaccinated can still mean getting sick but hopefully not hospitalized and we have to start living again understanding we are probably going to get sick
    Dave, glad to hear you and yours are doing well, that is scary. Vaccinated or not, this virus is no joke and no one wants to get it period.  Science has shown those who are vaccinated and get it are much lower risk of hospitalization, that in itself should open some unvaccinated eyes.  Take care, give my best to Deb.  

• Options
    asutton327asutton327 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 115
    I have waited 30 years for an opportunity to see PJ in concert. Finally got tix to two shows in 2020 🤦‍♀️

I’m vaxxed and have a pretty high risk tolerance, but I have been diligent since the beginning of this cluster, and dammit, I HAVE NEEDS! I want to do this while I still have the chance.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    We’re ready for the Ohana weekend and have been to many festivals. That being said, we’ll be hanging in the back this time around. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    edited September 2021
    The only way to be sure that everyone going through the turnstiles is showing legit proof is by digital scanning! Those cards become blurry after you’ve looked at hundreds so anyone can walk in with fake cards 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    The only way to be sure that everyone going through the turnstiles is showing legit proof is by digital scanning! Those cards become blurry after you’ve looked at hundreds so anyone can walk in with fake cards 
    I agree, requiring pre-registration of your vax docs and then issuing bar codes to each attendee is really the way to go, both for vax cards and then needing to pre-register your negative test results 2 or 1 day before festival, although the negative test thing is tricky because the test is only good if it's 2-3 days before 1st day of fest, and you need a screening process that will catch bogus or weird test results, so that turnaround time for thousands is very tricky to do well.