Options

The elephant in the room....Covid and these Pearl Jam shows

Well,30,000 of you folks showed up in Jersey and rocked out to Pearl Jam. Pretty sure that's the 1st time any of you have gathered in a setting like that in quite some time.

For the folks who were a the show, did you feel safe? Did you even attempt to somewhat distance? Did you say fuck it, and get as close to the stage as possible? Were the folks checking vaccine cards doing there jobs, thoroughly checking cards and matching ID'S? Or were they just glancing and letting you in? I would be willing to guess that only 1% of you folks were wearing a mask.

I realize everyone there was vaccinated, or had a negative covid test, but personally I am not quite sure I am ready to put myself in that situation.

For those who were there. Did you just say fuck the delta variant, I'm vaccinated, covid wont kill me, I am going on with my life. 4 days later are you still ok with your decision to go to the show? Did any of you wake up the next day and maybe feel a little, I don't know, maybe regret?, for putting yourself in a mass crowd of 30,000 people?

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    edited September 2021
    They were thorough when checking proof of vax and ID's for folks going in before me that I could see. It was not rushed, but I can't speak for every single person.

I was packed in a sea of people relatively close as I could be to the stage like I was pre-covid. I've also been to several GA shows in the last few months, so my comfort level was fine (was before my first show back as well though).

Personally, I did just say fuck it and have been that way since I've been vaxed. Don't feel any regret about it. The vax works, and I think that is pretty well proven at this point with all the shows that have taken place, and 100,000+ in college football stadium's. All this is happening without significant issues that would put a stop to all this.

Not everyone will feel the same level of comfort, and that is perfectly OK. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    edited September 2021
    Elephant in the room? For over the last year and a half I feel like this is all we have discussed. I will be going to the Encore shows and have no hesitation at the moment. I can update after those shows and see if my thoughts are different.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    They were thorough when checking proof of vax and ID's for folks going in before me that I could see. It was not rushed, but I can't speak for every single person.

I was packed in a sea of people relatively close as I could be to the stage like I was pre-covid. I've also been to several GA shows in the last few months, so my comfort level was fine (was before my first show back as well though).

Personally, I did just say fuck it and have been that way since I've been vaxed. Don't feel any regret about it. The vax works, and I think that is pretty well proven at this point with all the shows that have taken place, and 100,000+ in college football stadium's. All this is happening without significant issues that would put a stop to all this.

How was mask usage? I'm thinking I'm comfortable enough, but would still wear a mask in crowds.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Elephant in the room? For over the last year and a half I feel like this is all we have discussed. I will be going to the Encore shows and have no hesitation at the moment. I can update after those shows and see if that changes.
    Maybe I am wrong, but in the last 4 days I didn't see any mention of the SHN show in regards to covid. Maybe I am wrong.
  • Options
    biz999 said:

How was mask usage? I'm thinking I'm comfortable enough, but would still wear a mask in crowds.
    I mean, I didn't count. I saw some near me wearing them, but not many. I'd say everyone felt pretty damn comfortable. 

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    Great question/post OP.
    i'm fully vaccinated and still got the variant last month.  Scares me that we may not have live music in the future as the variant seems to dominate even those that are vaccinated eventually.  i hope they encourage the booster shots to everyone.  It was great watching social media this weekend and seeing everyone have fun being together again up in North Jersey with our band. I just fear that many will still get sick. Fortunately for me and my family, after 3-4 days of severe flu like symptoms, the next week were more or less of an inconvenience and a light flu or a big cold.  I also saved a ton of $ as my wife hasn't been able to taste now for a month meaning 7 bottles of wine she's not making me buy her each week LOL.
    I think in the end we just have to accept that being vaccinated can still mean getting sick but hopefully not hospitalized and we have to start living again understanding we are probably going to get sick
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    PJNB said:
    Elephant in the room? For over the last year and a half I feel like this is all we have discussed. I will be going to the Encore shows and have no hesitation at the moment. I can update after those shows and see if that changes.
    Maybe I am wrong, but in the last 4 days I didn't see any mention of the SHN show in regards to covid. Maybe I am wrong.
    I have seen a lot of people talking about their comfort level going to the show, where they stood, and that they actually did not go because of covid and the packed crowd. 

I think people that wanted to go and were comfortable went and got up close if thats what they chose. People that wanted to go and were not as comfortable sat at the back. People that were not comfortable at all skipped the event.

I do believe there are some people that go through the fear of missing out and actually went but had ton of anxiety doing so. Those are the people I hope are doing ok with their decision today. 
  • Options
    Great question/post OP.
    i'm fully vaccinated and still got the variant last month.  Scares me that we may not have live music in the future as the variant seems to dominate even those that are vaccinated eventually.  i hope they encourage the booster shots to everyone.  It was great watching social media this weekend and seeing everyone have fun being together again up in North Jersey with our band. I just fear that many will still get sick. Fortunately for me and my family, after 3-4 days of severe flu like symptoms, the next week were more or less of an inconvenience and a light flu or a big cold.  I also saved a ton of $ as my wife hasn't been able to taste now for a month meaning 7 bottles of wine she's not making me buy her each week LOL.
    I think in the end we just have to accept that being vaccinated can still mean getting sick but hopefully not hospitalized and we have to start living again understanding we are probably going to get sick

Sad to hear you got the variant. THRILLED to hear you are doing better.

I couldn't wait to get the vaccine, and I will be 1st in line to get the booster. It sad how many Americans are reluctant to get the vaccine. Its just sad.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Careful Speedy, the positivity police may light this thread up with sunshine and rainbows! Dave, I am so glad everyone is ok!! The vaccine was always meant to prevent one from getting really ill and dying. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Careful Speedy, the positivity police may light this thread up with sunshine and rainbows! Dave, I am so glad everyone is ok!! The vaccine was always meant to prevent one from getting really ill and dying. 

Feel the sky blanket you....

WITH SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS!!!

• Options
    I think  someone on fanviews thinks they  caught it at the show
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    That fucking sucks, but not surprising. Never a question of if, but how many at something that large. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yeah  it's supposed to be just fun. I fuckin hate what this virus is doing . Mentally its fucked me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575

My thoughts exactly.  We're never getting rid of Covid and for most of us sitting in our houses and avoiding the things we love doing is not realistic.  I know the risks and will accept the consequences if there are any.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    That fucking sucks, but not surprising. Never a question of if, but how many at something that large. 

Lollapalooza had 385,000 people attend. It was reported 2 weeks later that there were 203 cases of covid from attendees.

Wouldn't it be nice if SHN and there 2 day total of 60,000 people in attendance, only has 20-30 cases of covid?

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    It would be nice^^the bad thing is when those 20 ot 30 spread it. Stinks all around.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    It would be nice^^the bad thing is when those 20 ot 30 spread it. Stinks all around.

Yes it does stink.

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,187

Lollapalooza had 385,000 people attend. It was reported 2 weeks later that there were 203 cases of covid from attendees.

Wouldn't it be nice if SHN and there 2 day total of 60,000 people in attendance, only has 20-30 cases of covid?

If that holds up, it's a 1 in 2,000 chance of infection. Pretty good odds. 

I was gung ho earlier in the summer about getting back to normal but scaled back once delta hit. Only thing I've done since is Foo Fighters at 9:30 club. Indoors, packed together, but only 1,200 people vaccinated and wearing masks. With a n95 I felt it was worth the risk. And the staff did a good job checking vax cards and IDs. Planning to attend Encore but probably won't try for rail lol. So basically still taking precautions while getting out and doing some things 
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,222

Well,30,000 of you folks showed up in Jersey and rocked out to Pearl Jam. Pretty sure that's the 1st time any of you have gathered in a setting like that in quite some time.

For the folks who were a the show, did you feel safe? Did you even attempt to somewhat distance? Did you say fuck it, and get as close to the stage as possible? Were the folks checking vaccine cards doing there jobs, thoroughly checking cards and matching ID'S? Or were they just glancing and letting you in? I would be willing to guess that only 1% of you folks were wearing a mask.

I realize everyone there was vaccinated, or had a negative covid test, but personally I am not quite sure I am ready to put myself in that situation.

For those who were there. Did you just say fuck the delta variant, I'm vaccinated, covid wont kill me, I am going on with my life. 4 days later are you still ok with your decision to go to the show? Did any of you wake up the next day and maybe feel a little, I don't know, maybe regret?, for putting yourself in a mass crowd of 30,000 people?

100% fuck it. Im vaxxed. No distancing, up front, no mask, dancing, talking, jamming, all of it.  Didn't think about covid for even 2 seconds.

Saw maybe 10 people out of 30k with a mask. Thus proving the pointlessness of a mask (but that's another discussion).

Everyone I know who has had a breakthrough case said its annoying and not fun (is being sick ever fun?) but it was never a serious threat to their health.  Studies on breakthrough cases show an incredibly small amount of severe illness.  

Depression, despair, anxiety, and mental struggles after a year of no social life are 100% real.  Severe covid breakthrough case?  Not so real to me. 

4 days later all I can think is that it has been 4 days since my last PJ show and it feels like too long ago.

Also, took an at home test just to be sure today that I would be safe for Ohana and it was negative so all systems are a go.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

100% fuck it. Im vaxxed. No distancing, up front, no mask, dancing, talking, jamming, all of it.  Didn't think about covid for even 2 seconds.

Saw maybe 10 people out of 30k with a mask. Thus proving the pointlessness of a mask (but that's another discussion).

Everyone I know who has had a breakthrough case said its annoying and not fun (is being sick ever fun?) but it was never a serious threat to their health.  Studies on breakthrough cases show an incredibly small amount of severe illness.  

Depression, despair, anxiety, and mental struggles after a year of no social life are 100% real.  Severe covid breakthrough case?  Not so real to me. 

4 days later all I can think is that it has been 4 days since my last PJ show and it feels like too long ago.

Also, took an at home test just to be sure today that I would be safe for Ohana and it was negative so all systems are a go.

Severe breakthrough cases are real.  To say they are not is puzzling.  I guess it depends on perspective, what you find severe, etc...

I'm glad that people were able to go and have a blast.  

@elwayvedder
    So happy to hear everyone is ok.  The part about the wine just about killed me laughing.
    Not nice!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    edited September 2021
    biz999 said:

At SHN, I only saw a few people wearing masks. Most were not. I did not wear a mask and did not stress at all during the show. After the show, I had a few "what have I done moments" after I got back to the hotel, but it passed. I had already been to both Foo Fighters shows (at MSG, and Coney Island) and got those concert jitters out of the way then. Luckily, so far I am feeling great.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Great question/post OP.
    The bold is pretty much where I am at these days.  Would love to see a PJ show again and would not be thinking of the delta variant at all.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430

I felt safe as I could be as I hung WAY in the back of the crowd and didn't have anyone closer then 20 feet or so. So yeah, I attempted to distance. I didn't walk in until about 7:50.

Even during Normal times I wouldn't get up close to the stage, since I was in my early 20's. And since then I haven't gone to where a BIG crowd of over 30,000 in decades. I had enough of that shit by then>HA

I walked in when it was dark and the guy had NO flashlight so he could not see the details of my Vax card or ID, and just waved me in and I never broke stride, and he was waving in the person in behind me. It seemed to me if he could kind of see it he was just waving people in. So, just glancing. That made me wear my mask walking through the crowd to get to a comfortable spot on the beach. Same when I left and I was able to get out fast because I wasn't in the clusterfuck>HA

I didn't see a lot of mask AT ALL. 

Yes, I'm OK with my decision I went and have no regret. After all of the shit, that we've all been through, I really wanted to be there to see/mostly hear Pearl Jam. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,440
    Vaccine cards were checked well when I went in.

I have 2 kids under 12 so I wore a mask even while I was packed in. A few people around me had them on too. I had a couple sniffles and some sneezing this morning; fortunately those aren't COVID symptoms.

When the kids get their vaxxes I'm ready to just say f-it. Obviously not going would be the absolute safest thing to have done but I don't regret it and 4 days later feeling just fine. We do have to get back to our lives at some point.

The dude with the wife who stopped drinking wine - that's hilarious. I like her style - only on days that end in y! If I couldn't smell/taste guess I'd just drink vodka or whatever. That would suck.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    cutz said:

I felt safe as I could be as I hung WAY in the back of the crowd and didn't have anyone closer then 20 feet or so. So yeah, I attempted to distance. I didn't walk in until about 7:50.

Even during Normal times I wouldn't get up close to the stage, since I was in my early 20's. And since then I haven't gone to where a BIG crowd of over 30,000 in decades. I had enough of that shit by then>HA

I walked in when it was dark and the guy had NO flashlight so he could not see the details of my Vax card or ID, and just waved me in and I never broke stride, and he was waving in the person in behind me. It seemed to me if he could kind of see it he was just waving people in. So, just glancing. That made me wear my mask walking through the crowd to get to a comfortable spot on the beach. Same when I left and I was able to get out fast because I wasn't in the clusterfuck>HA

I didn't see a lot of mask AT ALL. 

Yes, I'm OK with my decision I went and have no regret. After all of the shit, that we've all been through, I really wanted to be there to see/mostly hear Pearl Jam. 

The drone picture I saw of the venue, right up against the ocean, was pretty damned amazing.

• Options
    Did you have to have a vaccination card or could you use a picture of your card on your cell phone?  Just wondering how they are doing it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Did you have to have a vaccination card or could you use a picture of your card on your cell phone?  Just wondering how they are doing it.
    I had a printed copy 
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    I went to Guns N Roses last night. Indoor arena. No proof of vax/negative test required. No mask requirement. The majority of the crowd did not appear to be folks that made getting a jab a priority. The only people wearing a face covering were venue staff. Got to admit it was a little strange.

I’ve had COVID and the vax, so I wasn’t very worried about getting the bug. But being in that setting with a bunch of people packed together and screaming for the first time in almost two years, I had the thought that it may not have been the wisest thing. 

Anyways, I had a good time. Will probably do an at home test in a couple of days to make sure.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Vaccine cards were checked well when I went in.

I have 2 kids under 12 so I wore a mask even while I was packed in. A few people around me had them on too. I had a couple sniffles and some sneezing this morning; fortunately those aren't COVID symptoms.

When the kids get their vaxxes I'm ready to just say f-it. Obviously not going would be the absolute safest thing to have done but I don't regret it and 4 days later feeling just fine. We do have to get back to our lives at some point.

The dude with the wife who stopped drinking wine - that's hilarious. I like her style - only on days that end in y! If I couldn't smell/taste guess I'd just drink vodka or whatever. That would suck.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Please take that back.

:lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Vaccinated and doing both Ohana weekends. Got a rapid test lined up on Monday (even though symptoms probably wouldn’t show that fast), will be carrying a fresh mask each day if I feel the urge to wear it, and packed a few travel cleaning wipes if I come across something nasty (it’s a fest after all).

Got my methods to ease my anxiety *if* I hit that point, but been to Cubs games and the GA section of a GnR concert and felt generally at ease. If the crowds are intimidating, fall back a bit and grab your personal space.