Options

The elephant in the room....Covid and these Pearl Jam shows

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    davidos said:
    another major bummer of my breakthrough COVID from SHN is my Ohana Encore trip is cancelled and there is no way to get a refund on the passes…
    They are giving refunds. 

9.    HELP. I BOUGHT A TICKET AND I TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19. CAN I GET A REFUND?

• Yes. Please send us a copy of your positiveCOVID-19 test result, your order number and specific ticket details to order-support@frontgatetickets.com
    • Additionally, if you’ve had COVID-19 or are still in the 14-day isolation window, you are also eligible for a refund. Please send us a copy of your positive COVID-19 test result, your order number and specific ticket details to order-support@frontgatetickets.com
    • You MUST request a refund by Sunday, September27th (Ohana Festival) or Saturday, October 1st (Ohana Encore).
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PJNB said:
    davidos said:
    another major bummer of my breakthrough COVID from SHN is my Ohana Encore trip is cancelled and there is no way to get a refund on the passes…
    They are giving refunds. 

9.    HELP. I BOUGHT A TICKET AND I TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19. CAN I GET A REFUND?

• Yes. Please send us a copy of your positiveCOVID-19 test result, your order number and specific ticket details to order-support@frontgatetickets.com
    • Additionally, if you’ve had COVID-19 or are still in the 14-day isolation window, you are also eligible for a refund. Please send us a copy of your positive COVID-19 test result, your order number and specific ticket details to order-support@frontgatetickets.com
    • You MUST request a refund by Sunday, September27th (Ohana Festival) or Saturday, October 1st (Ohana Encore).
    Bummer that you can't go Davidos but cool that you can still get a refund if you ask for it by Saturday!  Send in those docs ASAP....  Good lookin out PJNB!
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    ^^thank you!

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    PJ_Soul said:
    There is no way I'd go into a crowd where hardly anyone is wearing masks right now. Masks should be mandatory IMO, even where vaccine cards are being checked.
    I'm glad they are checking vaccine records, but I'm disturbed to know that they got so lax about it at some point - they were basically just waving people in it sounds like, at least at one entrance. Not cool.
    I’m all for better verification standards but at some point a lot of these other measures need to be scaled back. There have been multiple studies showing outdoor spread is basically non existent, for me that data along with confidence in the vaccine makes me more than comfortable attending an outdoor show. It’s a bummer to hear of breakthrough infections but the overwhelming evidence still says they are mild for the most part. I have two friends who are nurses and neither have seen an vaccinated patient. I also know of a family friend who ended up in the hospital, vaccinated. So it obviously happens, but at some point people have to analyze their own risk and make a decision they are comfortable with. Millions of baseball, football, soccer, and music fans have been gathering outdoors for months, many unvaccinated. I haven’t heard of any super spreader events. Pretty sure the media which is drilling for fear 24/7 would have certainly found them. Someone dies from a DUI accident every 52 minutes in the US, should we bring back prohibition? More children have died from gun violence in Chicago this year than of COVID in the US since the pandemic began. Yet basically no action gets taken. Danger lurks everywhere. I hope humans learn to live freely and embrace life again as they should. We have endured far worse than this pandemic and bounced back. I know I’ll be bouncing back Saturday night enjoying the show, not looking around worrying about what fellow fan might infect me with a breakthrough case. 

Couldn’t agree more!!!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    davidos said:
    sucks you can't go. sorry to hear that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    At Ohana, they checked our vaxx card and ID both days. I personally saw them deny entrance to a guy that didn't have a vaxx card, so that was good. 10ish% of people had masks on, and they were giving out masks on request. The compliance of mask wearing on the shuttle bus was 90%. They made you put one on before you were allowed on, but once on the bus drivers didn't even look up. I was phone tapping for food and merch, and everywhere I went had that option. Overall as a vaxxed person I felt pretty good there. I didn't pack into the lawn, but sat in the bleachers. It was a great weekend, and I'm looking forward to Encore weekend.
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (August 30, 2000)
    [X]  Albany, New York (April 29, 2003)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 02, 2003)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 03, 2003)
    [X]  New York, New York (July 08, 2003)
    [X]  New York, New York (July 09, 2003)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 11, 2003)
    [X]  Hershey, Pennsylvania (July 12, 2003)
    [X]  Montreal, Quebec (September 15, 2005)
    [X]  Ottawa, Ontario (September 16, 2005)
    [X]  Albany, New York (May 12, 2006)
    [X]  Hartford, Connecticut (May 13, 2006)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (June 28, 2008)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (June 30, 2008)
    [X]  Boston, Massachusetts (May 17, 2010)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011)
    [X]  Buffalo, NY (October 12, 2013)
    [X]  Worcester, MA (October 15, 2013)
    [X]  Worcester, MA (October 16, 2013)
    [X]  Hartford, CT (October 25, 2013)
    [X]  Charlottesville, VA (October 29, 2013)
    [X]  Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018)
    [X]  Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
    [X]  Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018)
    [X]  Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)
    [X]  Ohana Festival (September 25, 2021)
    [X]  Ohana Festival (September 26, 2021)

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    RmLurker said:
    At Ohana, they checked our vaxx card and ID both days. I personally saw them deny entrance to a guy that didn't have a vaxx card, so that was good. 10ish% of people had masks on, and they were giving out masks on request. The compliance of mask wearing on the shuttle bus was 90%. They made you put one on before you were allowed on, but once on the bus drivers didn't even look up. I was phone tapping for food and merch, and everywhere I went had that option. Overall as a vaxxed person I felt pretty good there. I didn't pack into the lawn, but sat in the bleachers. It was a great weekend, and I'm looking forward to Encore weekend.
    Vax card on phone OK?
  • Options
    jdopj said:
    RmLurker said:
    Vax card on phone OK?

Yes. I had a pic.
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (August 30, 2000)
    [X]  Albany, New York (April 29, 2003)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 02, 2003)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 03, 2003)
    [X]  New York, New York (July 08, 2003)
    [X]  New York, New York (July 09, 2003)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 11, 2003)
    [X]  Hershey, Pennsylvania (July 12, 2003)
    [X]  Montreal, Quebec (September 15, 2005)
    [X]  Ottawa, Ontario (September 16, 2005)
    [X]  Albany, New York (May 12, 2006)
    [X]  Hartford, Connecticut (May 13, 2006)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (June 28, 2008)
    [X]  Mansfield, Massachusetts (June 30, 2008)
    [X]  Boston, Massachusetts (May 17, 2010)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011)
    [X]  Buffalo, NY (October 12, 2013)
    [X]  Worcester, MA (October 15, 2013)
    [X]  Worcester, MA (October 16, 2013)
    [X]  Hartford, CT (October 25, 2013)
    [X]  Charlottesville, VA (October 29, 2013)
    [X]  Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018)
    [X]  Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
    [X]  Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018)
    [X]  Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)
    [X]  Ohana Festival (September 25, 2021)
    [X]  Ohana Festival (September 26, 2021)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited September 2021
    PJ_Soul said:
    There is no way I'd go into a crowd where hardly anyone is wearing masks right now. Masks should be mandatory IMO, even where vaccine cards are being checked.
    I'm glad they are checking vaccine records, but I'm disturbed to know that they got so lax about it at some point - they were basically just waving people in it sounds like, at least at one entrance. Not cool.
    I’m all for better verification standards but at some point a lot of these other measures need to be scaled back. There have been multiple studies showing outdoor spread is basically non existent, for me that data along with confidence in the vaccine makes me more than comfortable attending an outdoor show. It’s a bummer to hear of breakthrough infections but the overwhelming evidence still says they are mild for the most part. I have two friends who are nurses and neither have seen an vaccinated patient. I also know of a family friend who ended up in the hospital, vaccinated. So it obviously happens, but at some point people have to analyze their own risk and make a decision they are comfortable with. Millions of baseball, football, soccer, and music fans have been gathering outdoors for months, many unvaccinated. I haven’t heard of any super spreader events. Pretty sure the media which is drilling for fear 24/7 would have certainly found them. Someone dies from a DUI accident every 52 minutes in the US, should we bring back prohibition? More children have died from gun violence in Chicago this year than of COVID in the US since the pandemic began. Yet basically no action gets taken. Danger lurks everywhere. I hope humans learn to live freely and embrace life again as they should. We have endured far worse than this pandemic and bounced back. I know I’ll be bouncing back Saturday night enjoying the show, not looking around worrying about what fellow fan might infect me with a breakthrough case. 

At some point... Not now. Outdoor spread is almost nonexistent under normal circumstances, but not so much when people are crammed together like sardines and basically yelling and singing in each other's faces for hours. Anyway, I wouldn't do it. I do think masks should still be mandated for those conditions. We are at the peak of a 4th wave after all, and there are still too many people who aren't vaccinated.
    And I think comparing the numbers of deaths like you just did is meaningless, because the death rates from COVID are WITH all the precautions. WITH masks and a lot of physical distancing, etc. The rates would be WAY higher without those precautions. And that is precisely why I think those precautions are still needed at this stage of the pandemic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248
    jdopj said:
    RmLurker said:
    Vax card on phone OK?

Yes, and so is QR code on phone, if you are from NY/CA/ other places that have digital records. I used my QR code from CA dept of health, no problem.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    davidos said:

Since the refund question already has been answered, let me be the -- second? -- person to thank you for doing the right thing, even though missing out on this trip sucks.

I'm hoping that one positive takeaway from this pandemic will be a change in how illness/sick days are handled. I'm one of those lucky people for whom a cold often turns into something much worse that lingers for eight weeks or so. I got a pneumonia vaccine in my late 40s because things had gotten so bad that I needed an inhaler whenever I caught a cold. I asked people to stay home when sick, and was told "I don't want to miss work/ use my sick days for a cold! Sucks to be you!" Now that WFH is more of an option and more people (not all, but more) take communicable diseases seriously, perhaps there will be fewer people out and about, willfully spreading colds and influenza. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

At some point... Not now. Outdoor spread is almost nonexistent under normal circumstances, but not so much when people are crammed together like sardines and basically yelling and singing in each other's faces for hours. Anyway, I wouldn't do it. I do think masks should still be mandated for those conditions. We are at the peak of a 4th wave after all, and there are still too many people who aren't vaccinated.
    And I think comparing the numbers of deaths like you just did is meaningless, because the death rates from COVID are WITH all the precautions. WITH masks and a lot of physical distancing, etc. The rates would be WAY higher without those precautions. And that is precisely why I think those precautions are still needed at this stage of the pandemic.
    I was on the fence with this show, intend on lurking in the back of the crowd and certainly not clustered up front. I would also prefer they postpone the spring tour till 2023 if current conditions persist. So I think we probably agree on a lot. But at some point we have done all we can. I work from home 5 days a week, not my preference. I don’t make unnecessary trips to the grocery store, I’ve eaten in a restaurant once since the pandemic begun. I have enjoyed some baseball games but other than that I’ve avoided crowds. Got vaccinated when it was my turn. Did everything as I was told, then a few weeks ago I turned on the tv and saw a hundred thousand screaming fans at a college football game, started to think why do they get to enjoy life while I continue sacrificing mine? I’ll continue to do what’s right, whether it’s convincing friends and family to get vaccinated to working in isolation to wearing my mask indoors. But this weekend I’m enjoying life and won’t for a minute feel guilty doing so. Also on a positive note covid numbers are trending in the right direction in California. 10 times as many people are getting vaccinated than infected each day. We are winning the war, just gonna take a while to climb this mountain. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I think the back is the new front.  Who has the Sharpie?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    haha, brilliant. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    JH6056 said:
    i got id said:
    Very few people wearing masks at Ohana. Wish more people would mask up

Masks are for indoors in poorly ventilated spaces for short periods of time. Their effectiveness is meaningless outdoors. Unfortunately, ventilation was never emphasized enough and it's one of the most important variables with regard to spreading the Covids.
    I disagree that masks are meaningless outside in a dense crowd. If I can smell someone's perfume or body odor (yes, body odor!) for an entire band set of 40 - 60 min because the person is standing close enough/the air is mostly drifting from them to me, why isn't it possible for me to breathe their respiratory droplets many times over the course of that 40 min?

And for those right behind those on the rail, that's probably the most densely populated section of any festival and many of those folks are standng together for HOURS.  Why is transmission in that situation so highly unlikely in your opinion that masks would be useless? They felt very useful to me.

Lastly, don't forget that most of the respiratory particulate studies weren't done in the GA pits of festivals.  Once the pandemic got going, "crowds" were not much of a thing other than those funerals and parties that were super-spreader events (and yes mostly indoors at the time).  But 15,000 people with many of them close up at the front of the stage... masks felt very helpful to me.

[Edited to add:]
    One major super-spreader activity indentified early in Covid was singing choirs. They figured out that that emoting, that singing and projecting one's voice, also projected the virus. Guess what a BUNCH OF PEOPLE standing together for their favorite band do? They sing their asses off.  So that's another good reason to mask up if in close quarters, even outside. Singing & shouting can be like coughing in terms of projecting particles & the virus out.
    If someone is blowing Covids, a mask indoors helps keep the virus closer to the mask wearer since it can’t disperse very well. Outdoors, the virus is going to disperse essentially the same whether or not a person has a mask on. 
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,222
    bbiggs said:
    Let’s start at 18,000 and work backwards. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    JH6056 said:
    i got id said:

Masks are for indoors in poorly ventilated spaces for short periods of time. Their effectiveness is meaningless outdoors. Unfortunately, ventilation was never emphasized enough and it's one of the most important variables with regard to spreading the Covids.
    I disagree that masks are meaningless outside in a dense crowd. If I can smell someone's perfume or body odor (yes, body odor!) for an entire band set of 40 - 60 min because the person is standing close enough/the air is mostly drifting from them to me, why isn't it possible for me to breathe their respiratory droplets many times over the course of that 40 min?

And for those right behind those on the rail, that's probably the most densely populated section of any festival and many of those folks are standng together for HOURS.  Why is transmission in that situation so highly unlikely in your opinion that masks would be useless? They felt very useful to me.

Lastly, don't forget that most of the respiratory particulate studies weren't done in the GA pits of festivals.  Once the pandemic got going, "crowds" were not much of a thing other than those funerals and parties that were super-spreader events (and yes mostly indoors at the time).  But 15,000 people with many of them close up at the front of the stage... masks felt very helpful to me.

One major super-spreader activity indentified early in Covid was singing choirs. They figured out that that emoting, that singing and projecting one's voice, also projected the virus. Guess what a BUNCH OF PEOPLE standing together for their favorite band do? They sing their asses off.  So that's another good reason to mask up if in close quarters, even outside. Singing & shouting can be like coughing in terms of projecting particles & the virus out.
    If someone is blowing Covids, a mask indoors helps keep the virus closer to the mask wearer since it can’t disperse very well. Outdoors, the virus is going to disperse essentially the same whether or not a person has a mask on. 
    Wait, someone is blowing covids?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    i got id said:

Ok, but to the person trying not to CATCH Covid, it matters if they're wearing a mask or not if the virus is dispersing. Surely you are not saying that to the person standing near the person singing, either with or without a mask, has same risk of catching it whether they wear a mask or not? Because that would plainly clearly be wrong.  

I'm not expecting mask mandates for outside shows anytime soon, but I sure as hell am going to wear a mask outside if I'm in a pretty decent crowd of people.  Vaxxed, allegedly vaxxed, or questionably vaxxed, I'm wearing a mask. And it is safer that way, though nothing is 100A% foolproof on this if you're around Covid positive people.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    i got id said:

*changes name to covids* 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2021
    JH6056 said:
    i got id said:

*changes name to covids* 
    Y'all are so wrong! =)
  • Options
    My COVID experience has been pretty humbling… I get it now. I’m healthy, in shape, etc. COVID is a nasty fucker… If you are going to Ohana and you are close enough to smell the people around you, then you are too close period. It will spread outdoors when you are that close. Unfortunately after not seeing my favorite band for 3 years I let the excitement get the best of me and tried to get as close as I could at SHN… it’s a small percentage, but breakthrough does happen. Just get a comfortable n95 and have fun. The whole PJ crew is wearing them so you won’t look like a loser…
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,370
    davidos said:
    My COVID experience has been pretty humbling… I get it now. I’m healthy, in shape, etc. COVID is a nasty fucker… If you are going to Ohana and you are close enough to smell the people around you, then you are too close period. It will spread outdoors when you are that close. Unfortunately after not seeing my favorite band for 3 years I let the excitement get the best of me and tried to get as close as I could at SHN… it’s a small percentage, but breakthrough does happen. Just get a comfortable n95 and have fun. The whole PJ crew is wearing them so you won’t look like a loser…
    Your situations possibility is what has kept me from going to these shows or any football games. How are you feeling?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    i got id said:
    I hope anyone with cold symptoms is taking a test prior to attending Ohana Encore...

I think I'd take one even without any symptoms 

Binax at home tests are great.  I did one a week after SHN just to make sure.  
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    edited September 2021
    RS65573 said:
    davidos said:
    Your situations possibility is what has kept me from going to these shows or any football games. How are you feeling?
    I was able to sleep a little deeper last night and today there is less of a feeling of glass shards in my throat. No fever but tired. No taste, no smell. My symptoms have felt like a cold with strep throat. I think I’ve rounded the corner. It’s been 10 days since first symptoms. I can only imagine how it would be if I wasn’t vaxxed. So much for the breakthrough cases being ‘mild… brief  etc. Good news is  NYS is on it with Covid. I was given an Order of Isolation and I will receive a phone interview every day for the next 8 days (2 already). Numbers in US are trending down and the mandates look like they are working. All great signs! F U Covid. 
    Post edited by davidos on
  • Options
    davidos said:

I hope you recover quickly!

And I expect we will keep on lingering in the back this weekend, despite the excitement. I gave up on trying to be cool thirty years ago or so, LOL.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    davidos said:

And I expect we will keep on lingering in the back this weekend, despite the excitement. I gave up on trying to be cool thirty years ago or so, LOL.
    It sounds great in the back too. Plus, you'll have more space to move around.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    davidos said:

I will be hanging back there. From the looks of the map, the bleachers aren't really that far back from the stage. I figure standing in front of them or bit closer is going to be close enough. Definitely not like the pictures I saw of SHN where the crowd just kept extending back and back down the beach. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mfc2006 said:
    davidos said:

I will be hanging back there. From the looks of the map, the bleachers aren't really that far back from the stage. I figure standing in front of them or bit closer is going to be close enough. Definitely not like the pictures I saw of SHN where the crowd just kept extending back and back down the beach. 
    Yup, the bleachers are closer than I thought they'd be. We sat there for a bit on Saturday and the sound was great. Plus, you can see the stage and the giant screens.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    davidos said:

Yup, the bleachers are closer than I thought they'd be. We sat there for a bit on Saturday and the sound was great. Plus, you can see the stage and the giant screens.
    As it got more crowded as the day/night went on, was there still room to move around closer to the back of the standing area? 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Mike needs a pick cannon. or load a drone to dump from above.