Options

The elephant in the room....Covid and these Pearl Jam shows

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    edited September 2021
    Seems like a couple SHN breakthrough cases which are basically colds. I mean, I caught a cold in 2013 after two indoor Philly shows. Whatever, no big deal. Just work at home a few days.

Like I said I masked up only for the unvaxxed kids at home. Still had a great time but once everyone is vaxxed don't think I'll mask up anymore. Besides, catching the COVID cold ("breakthrough infection") helps even more with future immunity right?

Work with a guy who got COVID after fully vaxed.  It is very much not a cold, for him.
    He has been to the hospital a few times and to a lot of docs -- still having issues speaking w/o coughing before the end of a sentence.
    In a sort of fog where he totally spaces out, frequently, and cannot recall anything which just happened.  
    After about 45 days from being absent positive covid results he still is having issues.  Good news is he is starting to get better.

Is this better than not being vaccinated, and being at risk of dying?
    Oh, heck yes...just pointing out that for some people these breakthrough cases are no joke.

He is late 40s/early 50s.
    Good health history, although he is obese despite being very active.
    His wife, same basic description, also got it and for her it was more like a cold for a week or two and gone.

davidos said:
    davidos said:
    Went to SHN... developed cough and slight chills by wednesday. Got tested last night... thought for sure I had COVID... PCR test came back negative... big PHEW... doctor told me that Delta can spread outdoors and you can still get it if you are vaxxed. The weather here in NY has been a little nuts... Hot and humid, cold at night, in and out of AC... must be allergies... 
    Well, guess what… I do have breakthrough COVID. My ‘cold’ progressed over the weekend to sneezing and more coughing. Went to work yesterday and took a Binax at home test last night which said I was positive. Took it again. Positive. Went this morning and got a proper PCR. Positive. Bummed.

Wear an N95 in a crowd because some people are either faking vax cards or the vaccinated are spreading Delta!!

Feel better soon!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Seems like a couple SHN breakthrough cases which are basically colds. I mean, I caught a cold in 2013 after two indoor Philly shows. Whatever, no big deal. Just work at home a few days.

Like I said I masked up only for the unvaxxed kids at home. Still had a great time but once everyone is vaxxed don't think I'll mask up anymore. Besides, catching the COVID cold ("breakthrough infection") helps even more with future immunity right?

Work with a guy who got COVID after fully vaxed.  It is very much not a cold, for him.
    He has been to the hospital a few times and to a lot of docs -- still having issues speaking w/o coughing before the end of a sentence.
    In a sort of fog where he totally spaces out, frequently, and cannot recall anything which just happened.  
    After about 45 days from being absent positive covid results he still is having issues.  Good news is he is starting to get better.

Oh, heck yes...just pointing out that for some people these breakthrough cases are no joke.

His wife, same basic description, also got it and for her it was more like a cold for a week or two and gone.

davidos said:
    davidos said:
    Went to SHN... developed cough and slight chills by wednesday. Got tested last night... thought for sure I had COVID... PCR test came back negative... big PHEW... doctor told me that Delta can spread outdoors and you can still get it if you are vaxxed. The weather here in NY has been a little nuts... Hot and humid, cold at night, in and out of AC... must be allergies... 
    Well, guess what… I do have breakthrough COVID. My ‘cold’ progressed over the weekend to sneezing and more coughing. Went to work yesterday and took a Binax at home test last night which said I was positive. Took it again. Positive. Went this morning and got a proper PCR. Positive. Bummed.

Wear an N95 in a crowd because some people are either faking vax cards or the vaccinated are spreading Delta!!

Feel better soon!
    god that sounds awful. exactly why even being fully vaxxed I'm still careful. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635

davidos said:
    davidos said:

Feel better soon!

Yes, I am more like Johnny and not scared of what it would do to me once vaccinated...and then I see what he is dealing with and it does give me pause.  I live with a child who cannot be vaccinated and a wife who has immunity issues, so I have been cautious at the same time. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,468

davidos said:
    davidos said:

Feel better soon!

Yes, I am more like Johnny and not scared of what it would do to me once vaccinated...and then I see what he is dealing with and it does give me pause.  I live with a child who cannot be vaccinated and a wife who has immunity issues, so I have been cautious at the same time. 
    Yeah - that stinks man. Well, no vaccines or any type of medication is 100%. I'm kind of active and definitely over my fighting weight - we'll see how it goes. Looks like a month or so until the kids can get first shots. First rule of parenting is protect them.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

davidos said:
    davidos said:

Feel better soon!

Yeah - that stinks man. Well, no vaccines or any type of medication is 100%. I'm kind of active and definitely over my fighting weight - we'll see how it goes. Looks like a month or so until the kids can get first shots. First rule of parenting is protect them.

Agree with that!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    good thing sober october is on the horizon. time to shape up. although it's going to take a small miracle to get this whale turned back into a seal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    Thx for the well wishes… I’m not worried about me… I can sit in a room for 10 days and muddle through… It’s my family members that have to wonder and worry and deal… go to school (?), cleaning all the surfaces in the house, bringing me food, taking over all of my responsibilities in the house etc. It’s all a giant pain in the ass… would I do it again (SHN)? Nope… 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    davidos said:
    Thx for the well wishes… I’m not worried about me… I can sit in a room for 10 days and muddle through… It’s my family members that have to wonder and worry and deal… go to school (?), cleaning all the surfaces in the house, bringing me food, taking over all of my responsibilities in the house etc. It’s all a giant pain in the ass… would I do it again (SHN)? Nope… 
    That sucks man. My best wishes for a speedy recovery. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    davidos said:
    davidos said:

Wow, I am really really sorry to hear that.  That's exactly why I asked you what kind of test initially said negative because the symptoms you said the 1st time I thought "Maaaan.... sounds like Delta...".  But I'm sorry I was right. 

And VERY glad you went back and tested again when your symptoms "progressed".  

Agree completely with recommending to others wearing N95s if you're standing in crowd. Because a set of music is about 40 min minimum and even with air moving, you can be "downwind" of someone right near you who is positive. And keep breathing their air.  My kid and I were only ones wearing masks most of where we stood and not even in a dense crowd at SHN but we did wear them because it's worth doing. 

Thanks for reporting back and seriously hope you're feeling better really soon!
  • Options
    Btw @davidos, you'd originally said you got a PCR, I'm still curious what test you got the 1st time if you don't mind me asking?  You said this time you got a "proper PCR", so just wondering what the 1st test was, how did the docs/nurses who gave you the 1st one name it?

It's good to know for others because I think "PCR" is starting to be used more often than it should be, with people not realizing they may not have gotten a proper PCR, as you said.

Do you know what your docs called the 1st one you got?  Did anyone use term "Rapid test" for it?

Thanks and again wishing you speedy recovery!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited September 2021
    There is no way I'd go into a crowd where hardly anyone is wearing masks right now. Masks should be mandatory IMO, even where vaccine cards are being checked.
    I'm glad they are checking vaccine records, but I'm disturbed to know that they got so lax about it at some point - they were basically just waving people in it sounds like, at least at one entrance. Not cool.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    JH6056 said:
    Btw @davidos, you'd originally said you got a PCR, I'm still curious what test you got the 1st time if you don't mind me asking?  You said this time you got a "proper PCR", so just wondering what the 1st test was, how did the docs/nurses who gave you the 1st one name it?

It's good to know for others because I think "PCR" is starting to be used more often than it should be, with people not realizing they may not have gotten a proper PCR, as you said.

Do you know what your docs called the 1st one you got?  Did anyone use term "Rapid test" for it?

Thanks for the well wishes! The positive PCR today was the exact same location and test as the negative one last Thursday. Only difference is during the first test the nurse went DEEP and made my cry… whereas the one today that came back positive was so light that I told the nurse to get in there and go deep. I was afraid that she didn’t swab properly. She said that the machine is very sensitive and you don’t have to go painfully deep in the nose…. So either I didn’t have enough of a viral load on Thursday, even though I had a scratchy throat and light cough, or she went TOO deep and didn’t get a good swab. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and today is my wife’s birthday…. Happy birthday babe… hope you are enjoying dinner out with our daughter 😢🤬
    Post edited by davidos on
  • Options
    Very few people wearing masks at Ohana. Wish more people would mask up
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    edited September 2021
    PJ_Soul said:
    There is no way I'd go into a crowd where hardly anyone is wearing masks right now. Masks should be mandatory IMO, even where vaccine cards are being checked.
    I'm glad they are checking vaccine records, but I'm disturbed to know that they got so lax about it at some point - they were basically just waving people in it sounds like, at least at one entrance. Not cool.
    I’m all for better verification standards but at some point a lot of these other measures need to be scaled back. There have been multiple studies showing outdoor spread is basically non existent, for me that data along with confidence in the vaccine makes me more than comfortable attending an outdoor show. It’s a bummer to hear of breakthrough infections but the overwhelming evidence still says they are mild for the most part. I have two friends who are nurses and neither have seen an vaccinated patient. I also know of a family friend who ended up in the hospital, vaccinated. So it obviously happens, but at some point people have to analyze their own risk and make a decision they are comfortable with. Millions of baseball, football, soccer, and music fans have been gathering outdoors for months, many unvaccinated. I haven’t heard of any super spreader events. Pretty sure the media which is drilling for fear 24/7 would have certainly found them. Someone dies from a DUI accident every 52 minutes in the US, should we bring back prohibition? More children have died from gun violence in Chicago this year than of COVID in the US since the pandemic began. Yet basically no action gets taken. Danger lurks everywhere. I hope humans learn to live freely and embrace life again as they should. We have endured far worse than this pandemic and bounced back. I know I’ll be bouncing back Saturday night enjoying the show, not looking around worrying about what fellow fan might infect me with a breakthrough case. 

Post edited by lastexit78 on
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    Our vax cards were checked against our IDs at the VIP entrance. I used my digital record, and that was scanned and checked against my driver's license, husband brought his actual card.

I'm less concerned about masking outdoors, but then again I stayed well back from the "pit." But for crying out loud, people, we're 18 months into this: wear your damn mask on the shuttle bus, and have it cover your nose as well as your mouth. Chin diapers offer no protection to you or to me. This isn't hard: I see little kids, preschoolers, wearing their masks properly all the time. /rant
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    davidos said:
    JH6056 said:

Thanks for the well wishes! The positive PCR today was the exact same location and test as the negative one last Thursday. Only difference is during the first test the nurse went DEEP and made my cry… whereas the one today that came back positive was so light that I told the nurse to get in there and go deep. I was afraid that she didn’t swab properly. She said that the machine is very sensitive and you don’t have to go painfully deep in the nose…. So either I didn’t have enough of a viral load on Thursday, even though I had a scratchy throat and light cough, or she went TOO deep and didn’t get a good swab. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and today is my wife’s birthday…. Happy birthday babe… hope you are enjoying dinner out with our daughter 😢🤬
    Thanks for explaining that. Yeah, very likely your viral load wasn't great enough to trigger the positive yet, although if the nurse said the test is very sensitive, maybe having your brain swabbed that 1st time did mess up the accuracy?

Sorry you're missing celebrating your wife's birthday with her and your daughter, but far better you're doing the right thing and quarantining.

Here, I heard this song (the original) on the radio today and it reminded me that the beginning of the pandemic already feels far away, the beginning when I heard this version all the time... Feel better fast!

P.s. You only have to watch it once, but she may sing it like 40 times in this one video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZmmw1rMOQ
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,554
    Zod said:
    SS105464 said:
    You are kidding yourself if you think a vaxxxed person is not spreading covid.  Viral loads in vaxxxed people have been shown to be similar in the Delta variant.  The most logical and scientific way to prevent spread at a festival is to require everyone to have a negative test before entering.  Excluding the vaxxxed doesn't make sense.  
    I think the issue, is that yes it can spread amongst vaccinated people.  A vaccine teaches the body how to fight a virus, so they do contract it, but the body will fight it faster and more efficiently than if you didn't have a vaccine.

I think the issue is non-vaccinated people walking in a sea of of vaccinated people.   If it is spreading around the vaccinated people, and they don't have symptons, the non-vaccinated people are like a canary in a coal mine.    It makes it tough to allow them in events because there would be a high chance they would contract the virus (from other unvaxxed or vaxxed people).

that's how I feel about vaccine passports here in BC.   It's more about preventing unvaccinated from getting it from a vaccinated population than the other way around?
    Agree with ya 💯, Zoddy. We get good info in BC which also states that the passports help increase vaccination uptake, so there's less community spread.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,644
    i got id said:

Masks are for indoors in poorly ventilated spaces for short periods of time. Their effectiveness is meaningless outdoors. Unfortunately, ventilation was never emphasized enough and it's one of the most important variables with regard to spreading the Covids.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,644
    Our vax cards were checked against our IDs at the VIP entrance. I used my digital record, and that was scanned and checked against my driver's license, husband brought his actual card.

I'm less concerned about masking outdoors, but then again I stayed well back from the "pit." But for crying out loud, people, we're 18 months into this: wear your damn mask on the shuttle bus, and have it cover your nose as well as your mouth. Chin diapers offer no protection to you or to me. This isn't hard: I see little kids, preschoolers, wearing their masks properly all the time. /rant

The highest risk thing for people at Ohana was the shuttle buses because none of them had the windows open. Most of the time I got on the school buses and would open the windows near my seat. Hardly any of the other windows were open.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    i got id said:

Masks are for indoors in poorly ventilated spaces for short periods of time. Their effectiveness is meaningless outdoors. Unfortunately, ventilation was never emphasized enough and it's one of the most important variables with regard to spreading the Covids.
    I disagree that masks are meaningless outside in a dense crowd. If I can smell someone's perfume or body odor (yes, body odor!) for an entire band set of 40 - 60 min because the person is standing close enough/the air is mostly drifting from them to me, why isn't it possible for me to breathe their respiratory droplets many times over the course of that 40 min?

And for those right behind those on the rail, that's probably the most densely populated section of any festival and many of those folks are standng together for HOURS.  Why is transmission in that situation so highly unlikely in your opinion that masks would be useless? They felt very useful to me.

Lastly, don't forget that most of the respiratory particulate studies weren't done in the GA pits of festivals.  Once the pandemic got going, "crowds" were not much of a thing other than those funerals and parties that were super-spreader events (and yes mostly indoors at the time).  But 15,000 people with many of them close up at the front of the stage... masks felt very helpful to me.

[Edited to add:]
    One major super-spreader activity indentified early in Covid was singing choirs. They figured out that that emoting, that singing and projecting one's voice, also projected the virus. Guess what a BUNCH OF PEOPLE standing together for their favorite band do? They sing their asses off.  So that's another good reason to mask up if in close quarters, even outside. Singing & shouting can be like coughing in terms of projecting particles & the virus out.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,468
    Outdoor events can be superspreader events - in fact the original superspreader was the Atalanta vs. Valencia match in Milan in February 2020, which set Italy and Spain into their original outbreaks. It wouldn't be the worst thing for people to mask up at festivals but it seems like overkill when vax is required. (I doubt that many brought a negative COVID test.)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I've been to a couple (outdoor) CFL games this summer, vaxxed only, masks optional (I'd say maybe 10% wore them), one of them was sold out 35,000 people. cramped together, shouting, drinking, cheering, standing right next to each other in beer/food/bathroom lines, etc, for 3 hours. 

no uptick in local covid case count. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I didn't wear a mask when we had a lot of space at Ohana, but I always put it on when I went to the bathroom, to get food, or if our space got too crowded. If it got too crowded, we just moved back.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    I didn't wear a mask when we had a lot of space at Ohana, but I always put it on when I went to the bathroom, to get food, or if our space got too crowded. If it got too crowded, we just moved back.
    yeah, waiting in line for food/etc I put it on too. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I've been to a couple (outdoor) CFL games this summer, vaxxed only, masks optional (I'd say maybe 10% wore them), one of them was sold out 35,000 people. cramped together, shouting, drinking, cheering, standing right next to each other in beer/food/bathroom lines, etc, for 3 hours. 

How did they check/confirm vax status on your way in?  If they did a good job, it makes sense it wasn't a superspreader event or led to a notable uptick in your local covid count.

Also what state are you in if it's ok to ask?  
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

How did they check/confirm vax status on your way in?  If they did a good job, it makes sense it wasn't a superspreader event or led to a notable uptick in your local covid count.

Winnipeg, Manitoba. we have vaccination cards issued by the province (like a driver's license) with a QR code on the back. they scan the code, and it says your name and a checkmark or vaccinated or something. then they check your government-issued ID to make sure they match. quick and easy. no extra wait time in line. they have people further down the line where people wait to get scanned for weapons and stuff. 

there is literally no way to get in without showing proof of vaccination. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056 said:

Winnipeg, Manitoba. we have vaccination cards issued by the province (like a driver's license) with a QR code on the back. they scan the code, and it says your name and a checkmark or vaccinated or something. then they check your government-issued ID to make sure they match. quick and easy. no extra wait time in line. they have people further down the line where people wait to get scanned for weapons and stuff. 

See now THAT is a HUGE DIFFERENCE from something like Sea Hear Now.  I don't know how Ohana went, but SHN was a better process than many I've seen in last few months for entry, but if one "Vax checker" kinda checks out a bit and isn't really looking at government issued i.d. and comparing it to the vax info, then the system has holes in it that are not ok.

Your system, with a government-issued vax doc with a QR code on it that can then be checked against the regular government-issued i.d. is SO MUCH TIGHTER and harder to mess with, which makes events like the 35,000 one you mentioned so much safer.

Good job Manitoba!
  • Options
    yeah I think we were the first province to do the QR code thing (the news falsely credited Quebec and Ontario as being the first). BC has a stupid piece of paper where your name is literally written in that anyone can forge. it's so dumb. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    another major bummer of my breakthrough COVID from SHN is my Ohana Encore trip is cancelled and there is no way to get a refund on the passes…
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

See now THAT is a HUGE DIFFERENCE from something like Sea Hear Now.  I don't know how Ohana went, but SHN was a better process than many I've seen in last few months for entry, but if one "Vax checker" kinda checks out a bit and isn't really looking at government issued i.d. and comparing it to the vax info, then the system has holes in it that are not ok.

Your system, with a government-issued vax doc with a QR code on it that can then be checked against the regular government-issued i.d. is SO MUCH TIGHTER and harder to mess with, which makes events like the 35,000 one you mentioned so much safer.

Good job Manitoba!
    I can't speak for other vax checkers at Ohana, but ours was very thorough.

I agree on the cards. I wish the US cards were a bit more robust and could not be altered or manufactured.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com