Options

The elephant in the room....Covid and these Pearl Jam shows

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I have waited 30 years for an opportunity to see PJ in concert. Finally got tix to two shows in 2020 🤦‍♀️

I’m vaxxed and have a pretty high risk tolerance, but I have been diligent since the beginning of this cluster, and dammit, I HAVE NEEDS! I want to do this while I still have the chance.
    And as a longtime fan who always feels for those who've not been able to get to a show yet, I NEED for **YOU** to see them after a 30 yr wait, so I'm sending you TONS of "Your shows will happen, you'll be there, everyone will be safe, and you will have the time of your life!" mojo & vibes! 

Please absolutely post about your experiences when you have them, which you will!  :)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    The only way to be sure that everyone going through the turnstiles is showing legit proof is by digital scanning! Those cards become blurry after you’ve looked at hundreds so anyone can walk in with fake cards 
    When I saw MMJ they diligently checked that my vax card at least matches my ID.  At SHN, the woman said go before even looking down lol.  I think it depends on the person and like you said, time of day.  
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    The problem for over a year is the messaging around spread and also the vaccine. Outdoor spread is very rare. Even more rare with a high vax rate crowd. Ventilation is the most important factor, as far as NPIs go, but it has never been emphasized enough. Vaccinated people are less likely to spread, but you keep hearing “the vaccinated can still spread it”. This just added to misperceptions for the vaccine hesitant: “why get vaccinated if I can still get it and spread it?”  
  • Options
    Wife and I went to SHN and our original plan was to hang towards the back and not be around a lot of other people.  When we got there, we quickly realized that hanging in the back would basically mean not really even being able to see the stage.  We are both vaxxed, so said screw it and got right up in the middle of the crowd.  Had an awesome time and while it felt weird to be around that many people, didn't really worry about it once the show started.  Sure enough, Wednesday comes around and I start feeling a little sick, got tested, and yes, positive for Covid.  It basically feels like a bad head cold for me so far, so hopefully I get over it soon.  The worst part is having to quarantine in my own house from my wife.  All, that being said, we knew the risks and we were ok with it since we were both vaxxed.  Stay safe out there people!  Breakthrough infections are real.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    sachtriv said:
    Wife and I went to SHN and our original plan was to hang towards the back and not be around a lot of other people.  When we got there, we quickly realized that hanging in the back would basically mean not really even being able to see the stage.  We are both vaxxed, so said screw it and got right up in the middle of the crowd.  Had an awesome time and while it felt weird to be around that many people, didn't really worry about it once the show started.  Sure enough, Wednesday comes around and I start feeling a little sick, got tested, and yes, positive for Covid.  It basically feels like a bad head cold for me so far, so hopefully I get over it soon.  The worst part is having to quarantine in my own house from my wife.  All, that being said, we knew the risks and we were ok with it since we were both vaxxed.  Stay safe out there people!  Breakthrough infections are real.
    Hope it's mild and that you convalesce quickly.

Take care.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

dankind said:

Hope it's mild and that you convalesce quickly.

Take care.
    Thank You

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    So that’s two confirmed cases from SHN. Just on these boards. Crazy. Wish both  a speedy recovery  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    sachtriv said:

Echoing Dankind's sentiments -- hopefully it is a mild case and things go quickly for you w/o any lingering issues.
    Also hope your wife does not get it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Echoing Dankind's sentiments -- hopefully it is a mild case and things go quickly for you w/o any lingering issues.
    Also hope your wife does not get it.

Thanks!  Yes, taking every precaution including masking up in the house and basically isolating to one room.  She has no symptoms yet so hopefully it stays that way!

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The problem for over a year is the messaging around spread and also the vaccine. Outdoor spread is very rare. Even more rare with a high vax rate crowd. Ventilation is the most important factor, as far as NPIs go, but it has never been emphasized enough. Vaccinated people are less likely to spread, but you keep hearing “the vaccinated can still spread it”. This just added to misperceptions for the vaccine hesitant: “why get vaccinated if I can still get it and spread it?”  
    Dude, because you reduce your risk of dying and spreading a hefty viral load onto others. Proof is in the responses just underneath yours. C'mon. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    nicknyr15 said:
    So that’s two confirmed cases from SHN. Just on these boards. Crazy. Wish both  a speedy recovery  
    Confirmed?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    nicknyr15 said:
    It sucks. But out of a crowd of 35,000 I expected a few. If it ends up being under 100, I still think that is pretty good.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    It sucks. But out of a crowd of 35,000 I expected a few. If it ends up being under 100, I still think that is pretty good.

Very good. It's never going to be 100% no breakthrough.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I'm amazed by how often I see this argument. It's the least logical argument there is...even less logical than the nonsensical "Gates Chip" or "I don't want to be told what to do," or even "fuck you." Do people not understand what mitigating risk is? I mean, you can still die in a car crash if you wear a seatbelt, so why wear one?  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    OnWis97 said:
    I'm amazed by how often I see this argument. It's the least logical argument there is...even less logical than the nonsensical "Gates Chip" or "I don't want to be told what to do," or even "fuck you." Do people not understand what mitigating risk is? I mean, you can still die in a car crash if you wear a seatbelt, so why wear one?  
    At this point anyone not getting the vaccine is clinging out to any info that makes it seem like the vaccine does not work. Whether it is Israels numbers or that vaccinated people can get breakthrough cases and have the same viral load they need something to justify their actions. 
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    Went to SHN... developed cough and slight chills by wednesday. Got tested last night... thought for sure I had COVID... PCR test came back negative... big PHEW... doctor told me that Delta can spread outdoors and you can still get it if you are vaxxed. The weather here in NY has been a little nuts... Hot and humid, cold at night, in and out of AC... must be allergies... 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    You Go Beavers said:
    Dude, because you reduce your risk of dying and spreading a hefty viral load onto others. Proof is in the responses just underneath yours. C'mon. 
    you reduce chance of dying, serious illness, and likelihood of spreading. The viral load is lower with vaccinated people. And I wouldn’t say it’s confirmed that people got it at SHN. You’d also have to look at contacts in higher risk environments from around sept 14th to the 19th. 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    davidos said:
    Went to SHN... developed cough and slight chills by wednesday. Got tested last night... thought for sure I had COVID... PCR test came back negative... big PHEW... doctor told me that Delta can spread outdoors and you can still get it if you are vaxxed. The weather here in NY has been a little nuts... Hot and humid, cold at night, in and out of AC... must be allergies... 
    Could just be the typical flu too

My allergies have been bad, as they always are in august, but chills should not be a symptom.  Either way, hope you feel better soon and glad to hear its not covid!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    davidos said:

Good news!
  • Options
    davidos said:
    Just out of curiosity, do you really mean "PCR Test", or did you get a rapid test? Usually PCR takes a couple days to get the results, I'm thinking if you got tested last night and have results already, it was rapid test, which is documented less reliable than actual PCR.

Check and make sure you got the more accurate PCR before you write off Covid, because those symptoms are so classic covid, you want ot make sure you're not contagious.

Hoping you're right though and somehow you got a very fast better test so it's more likely accurate negative.

Either way, fell better fast!
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I'd posted a big glowing "Well done SHN for safely holding a beach party for 35,000!" with one of those drone shots of almost the whole crowd on my Insta page 2 days ago.

Realized I know a few people with symptoms since the weekend, at various stages of getting tests done, so took my post down since it hyped the safety angle. 

SHN was still, no matter what, wildly successful from a safety point of view I'm pretty sure.  Highly doubt it'll turn out to be a super-spreader event.  Although some vax doc checkers may have slacked a bit, I found most of them to be paying careful attention.  But there are other ways to present good docs but still not be the vaxxed person... I'll leave it at that but I never assumed everyone standing around me was vaxxed or negative.  I just assumed most were. Wore a mask while walking or standing in crowds, but didn't stress beyond that.

Still super glad we went, still feel like the right safety measures were taken, and still grateful it was on a beach with a breeze and an elevated boardwalk with a railing!
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Yes. Two people on these boards that were there tested positive for covid after. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    You Go Beavers said:
    And I wouldn’t say it’s confirmed that people got it at SHN. You’d also have to look at contacts in higher risk environments from around sept 14th to the 19th. 
    Right exactly. It’s likely from the fest but could easily be from something they did before or after.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    davidos said:
    Just out of curiosity, do you really mean "PCR Test", or did you get a rapid test? Usually PCR takes a couple days to get the results, I'm thinking if you got tested last night and have results already, it was rapid test, which is documented less reliable than actual PCR.

Check and make sure you got the more accurate PCR before you write off Covid, because those symptoms are so classic covid, you want ot make sure you're not contagious.

Hoping you're right though and somehow you got a very fast better test so it's more likely accurate negative.

I took a PCR test last week and got result that same day.  The first time I took PCR it took 2 days.
    I guessed they are not as busy now but am not sure.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Yes. Two people on these boards that were there tested positive for covid after. 
    How is it confirmed they got it at the festival?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    JH6056 said:
    davidos said:

Yes, for sure it was PCR. They have a PCR machine at the doctor's office I went to... Result in an hour. It was the full double nasal swab to the brain. I would not feel comfortable if it was the rapid test.
  • Options
    davidos said:
    JH6056 said:
    davidos said:

Yes, for sure it was PCR. They have a PCR machine at the doctor's office I went to... Result in an hour. It was the full double nasal swab to the brain. I would not feel comfortable if it was the rapid test.
    Yup, nasal swab to the brain, that sounds like PCR! Good, glad you don't have it.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    I mean…. How would you ever know for sure? The fact is they tested positive after. So whether they got it there, or were there with it already is impossible to know. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    I mean…. How would you ever know for sure? The fact is they tested positive after. So whether they got it there, or were there with it already is impossible to know. 
    That’s kinda the opposite of confirmed. 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    That’s kinda the opposite of confirmed. 
    Seems to me that if most people have a daily/weekly routine they've been doing throughout pandemic, and they've not gotten Covid, and then the 1 thing they do differently one time is last weekend they attend a music festival with 35,000 people at it, 99% unmasked, hopefully vast majority truly vaxxed or truly negative... and then the timing of the symptoms onset is about right for Delta... then really, why would you assume or think it likely that you did NOT get it there?  It is the one big different thing that was done, and especially if you were in the crowd holding a spot for PJ, you could be around strangers for hours.  Ocean breeze and all, it's still close proximity and if someone else has it, especially Delta V, that is a very likely scenario for transmission.

No, it's not "certain" where they got it. 

And most importantly, it's still HIGHLY UNLIKELY it will happen among majority vaxxed people.  For those going to Ohana, California is doing way better than NJ on vaxxing and the crowd that will want to be at Ohana is so much more likely to be vaxxed so... I felt good about being at SHN and I'd feel even better about going to Ohana if I was going.  But it also isn't surprising at all that it may have happened to a few people.
    Post edited by JH6056 on