Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Its just ridiculous.  They have been playing since 2016. Why now.
    maybe the band received complaints? who knows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    But what can the band be concerned  about?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I heard on their twitter page there is a video of the BBC interview 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    their fans getting duped. not saying that's the intent of the tribute. but clearly some fans will get duped. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,595
    I've gotta side with Pearl Jam on this one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    rock4ever said:
    I get your point @beano.79  it does appear at first glance harsh but......
    I had a friend - not a big PJ fan - who emailed me a couple of years ago in excitement that he had bought a couple of tickets for Pearl Jam in Birmingham for their upcoming tour.  The Academy I think it was. 
    From Bandsintown the email came.  He had a fight on his hands for getting a refund which is fair enough. he should have looked more carefully.    Or should he?  Should the band name not really be almost IDENTICAL???
    No malice intended to the guys in the cover band but really, it seems a deliberate move to name themselves as closely to the actual name as they can. All the merch is identical too.
    Just not in the spirit of the original band in my opinion either..
    So what you are saying is your mate was so excited to see Pearl Jam that he didn't realise that the ticket was only 15 quid, would that not have given it away to start with? That saying suppose he/she had been to any other big band gig or even a decent band - you would know that tickets are not 15 quid. I would say minimum £45 
    Hi there, 
    yes that is what happened. I have no idea what the ticket prices where to be honest. I would not have expected PJ to be playing at the venue and did not buy any tickets. Then I told him his mistake.
    To reiterate, yes, he made the mistake.   I agree with your inference that it was a naive mistake, probably just stupid, but that is what happened to my mate. 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    As I said on FB. Overly dramatic. Just change the name and move on.
    I agree.  I understand themm being pissed.  But just accept it and move on with a name change.  
    "themm" :wink:
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    edited January 2021
    Someone selling tickets and merchandise with a nearly identical name. You need to be aggressive with this stuff otherwise it's open season with your intellectual property. Maybe it only got on their radar recently.

The name is pretty egregious. I know they're your buddies, but if they were going to take a letter like that so personally they should have used a unique name from the jump.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    edited January 2021
    Perhaps this stems from someone who bought a ticket to see Pearl Jamm and didn't realize that this was not the official band.

There was a story a while ago about someone who was surprised when they walked down into some basement in Ireland to see the Red Hot Chili Pipers.

I mean, the super-low cost of tickets wasn't a dead giveaway.

But at least they enjoyed the bagpipers.

Change the name to something like Black Red Ledbetter or Jeremy's Glorified Pelican. Something that isn't a ripoff, but that any 10C member would understand as the inside joke.

Dirty Jeremy's Evil Little Bus.

Let Stone Sing might work.

I wonder if Piss Bottle Men is copyright.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Perhaps this stems from someone who bought a ticket to see Pearl Jamm and didn't realize that this was not the official band.

There was a story a while ago about someone who was surprised when they walked down into some basement in Ireland to see the Red Hot Chili Pipers.

I mean, the super-low cost of tickets wasn't a dead giveaway.

But at least they enjoyed the bagpipers.
    Haha, saw the Chili Pipers before a Scotland Rugby match in Edinburgh. Good fun ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Foo fighters uk have same logo and dave gets the singer up on stage. Seems odd to me

Could it be PJ getting involved with some new people/legal burue and them acting by themselves?

When Bruce Springsteen got signed to Universal or whatever it was... some dude from that record company started purging Bruce-stuff from youtube - I doubt that mandate came from Springsteen.

And doesn't Dave Matthews allow bootleggers to take professional tripods and plug into the board? And then some bands make fans put phones into those bags so that everyone can see the show and not an idiot jumping up and down while recording...no wonder half of YouTube has shit videos. People forget they're recording. (Yes, morons. Your screaming sounds like shit on YouTube.)

What others do...what Pearl Jam does.

Two different worlds.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    edited January 2021
    I think the issue is the name used by the cover band....a bit too close to the original, especially if they are selling merch.  I am sure the tribute band meant no harm in their actions.  I am not a fan of tribute bands, but I respect the fact that they are trying to make a living as long as they go about it the right way.

In terms of playing PJ songs, as long as the venues have the proper BMI/ASCAP/SESAC licenses, tribute acts are entitled to play the original band's material.

I am a CPA who works with bands.  You'd be surprised how much money they lose due to their works/image being improperly exploited.

Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,762
    Talk about lacking in creativity....
    The essence of all tribute bands.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    mrk2 said:
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.

Instead, Pink Floyd's UK tribute is Brit Floyd. The Canadian tribute is Pigs.

Any idiot can clearly tell it's a tribute band. That's the key. You need to distance as far as possible.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Brit Floyd has some sort of financial arrangement set up with Pink Floyd.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I think the issue is the name used by the cover band....a bit too close to the original, especially if they are selling merch.  I am sure the tribute band meant no harm in their actions.  I am not a fan of tribute bands, but I respect the fact that they are trying to make a living as long as they go about it the right way.

In terms of playing PJ songs, as long as the venues have the proper BMI/ASCAP/SESAC licenses, tribute acts are entitled to play the original band's material.

I am a CPA who works with bands.  You'd be surprised how much money they lose due to their works/image being improperly exploited.

And I'm sure the same applies with Pearl Jam covers of The Who, Pink Floyd, The Guess Who, The Beatles, and whoever else.
  • Options
    Talk about lacking in creativity....
    The essence of all tribute bands.

Didn't Eddie once say that most (all?) tribute bands were crap and he hated them?

I feel like that's a quote from someone..Kurt?

Or else it's one heck of a Mandela Effect.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    It might also be an issue of needing to defend their trademark. I'm not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that they are required to defend their trademark against infringement or risk losing it. This would need to be done legally and not with a friendly letter. But, again, not a lawyer, so I may be wrong.
  • Options
    mrk2 said:
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.
    Dread Zeppelin?

Steel drums, mon!

The all-stripper group Boob Marley can open the show.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    I thought Pearl Jam was a cover band.

Also, do Pearl Jam cover bands cover songs that Pearl Jam covers?

You can find a version of "Save It For Later" by The English Beat where they tag Betterman.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Naming your band Pearl Jamm is the issue here.  Of course you’re going to get a letter.  Surprised it didn't happen two years ago. C’mon man :lol:

Pearl Jam openly promotes cover bands like Black Circle so it’s not a problem with cover bands.   
  • Options
    BV84003 said:
    pjl44 said:
    For all the people shocked that someone could be fooled, understand that we're the outliers. When I tell people I'm going to see them, I often get a "they're still around?" Casual music fans or non-music fans aren't necessarily aware of who's selling out ballparks and sheds vs. what's on the radio. They're certainly not keyed into what the capacity of a venue is and whether it's too big or small for a band they haven't thought much about in a decade or more.
    All of this. When I got (crappy nosebleed) tickets to their show at the Joe (in total disbelief that it's been over 6 years now, btw), one of my co-workers gave me a bewildered - if not disgusted - look that anyone would actually be interested in still going to see them live. Not to mention that he certainly had no idea they were playing an arena and that it had sold out within minutes. To him they were a 90s relic that weren't worthy of even being mentioned anymore. And that's hard to fathom from inside the fan bubble - but I feel like TOOL is in a similar standing where they have an extremely large, dedicated fan base but are well outside the mainstream for everyone else that's stopped paying attention.

Such is life in the radio world. If you're not releasing a new hit single every few months, you get left behind. When rock radio plays Pearl Jam, there's an almost 100% chance it'll be Alive, Jeremy, YLed, Daughter or Even Flow.

When was the last time rock radio played Worldwide Suicide or Lightning Bolt?
  • Options
    BV84003 said:
    pjl44 said:
    For all the people shocked that someone could be fooled, understand that we're the outliers. When I tell people I'm going to see them, I often get a "they're still around?" Casual music fans or non-music fans aren't necessarily aware of who's selling out ballparks and sheds vs. what's on the radio. They're certainly not keyed into what the capacity of a venue is and whether it's too big or small for a band they haven't thought much about in a decade or more.
    All of this. When I got (crappy nosebleed) tickets to their show at the Joe (in total disbelief that it's been over 6 years now, btw), one of my co-workers gave me a bewildered - if not disgusted - look that anyone would actually be interested in still going to see them live. Not to mention that he certainly had no idea they were playing an arena and that it had sold out within minutes. To him they were a 90s relic that weren't worthy of even being mentioned anymore. And that's hard to fathom from inside the fan bubble - but I feel like TOOL is in a similar standing where they have an extremely large, dedicated fan base but are well outside the mainstream for everyone else that's stopped paying attention.

Such is life in the radio world. If you're not releasing a new hit single every few months, you get left behind. When rock radio plays Pearl Jam, there's an almost 100% chance it'll be Alive, Jeremy, YLed, Daughter or Even Flow.

how much of radio play is determined by record company "incentive"? any? not sure why radio would ignore bands unless there was a financial reasoning for it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,220
    edited January 2021
    demetrios said:
    To Eddie, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Matt, Boom; to Pearl Jam, you have broken our hearts.

You have known of our tribute band for years yet have waited until a global pandemic to have threatening legal letters sent. This isn’t the Pearl Jam we know and love, the Pearl Jam that stands up for social issues and against corporate giants. Yet your lawyers tell us it is indeed you, the band, that are behind this. 

We know how Matt Cameron felt about his heroes, Kiss, when they took umbrage to his own tribute band ‘kiss’ (lower case). No one has ever confused us or our merchandise with you or your merchandise, and so to say that is “likely” is clearly nonsense. We have not caused you or your brand any damage whatsoever, in fact we have done quite the opposite. 

Such was the pressure exerted by the aggressive wording of the legal letters we received, we have questioned whether we even want to continue. We know of at least one other tribute band that decided to call it a day over this. It may have been easier, cheaper and more effective for one of you to reach out to us personally. We would have done that for you. But not like this. 

Your actions are out of character and unreasonable yet our love for the music endures. We sincerely hope that, despite confirmation to the contrary, you are blissfully unaware of actions being taken in your name. We invite you to respond either publicly or privately and rescind the legal threats that have been made. 

We would like to thank our own fans who have shown us overwhelming support since this story broke and who have voiced equal disappointment in the actions of Pearl Jam 

With love,
    Santi, Richard, Matt, Tim & Andy (‘Pearl Jamm’)

This is the best thing that could have ever happened to this "band." Far more publicity than they ever would have received otherwise. They should be thanking the boys, not complaining 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I can't believe they got by this long...Should have called themselves "Yield"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Naming your band Pearl Jamm is the issue here.  Of course you’re going to get a letter.  Surprised it didn't happen two years ago. C’mon man :lol:

Pearl Jam openly promotes cover bands like Black Circle so it’s not a problem with cover bands.   

Ding!
  • Options
    this pj cover band needs pick a different name. it's too close to the real name imo.
    and perhaps the shitty timing is based on if PJamm are makings waves, ie) getting good, then maybe that's why they did it now.
    excessive pjamm merch might have killed it as well. online presence etc

for the good people who think cover bands suck, they are wrong !! there is a need and a fit. imo.
    even mike mc likes black circle, right?!!
    one of my faves did gabriel era genesis and max webster only. it was heaven.
    and DSO has personally helped save me from massive depression. no kidding there.
    =love cover bands. fun. it's supposed to be fun.
  • Options
    BV84003 said:
    pjl44 said:

how much of radio play is determined by record company "incentive"? any? not sure why radio would ignore bands unless there was a financial reasoning for it. 

Pay to play is allegedly illegal in the US.

Here's what my active rock station is playing. It's the current stuff plus the best stuff by current bands. That stuff drives listeners drives ad revenue.

https://theblitz.com/index.php/features/top-10-all-out-blitz
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited January 2021
    PJNB said:
    I find myself surprised by the sizes of arenas Pearl Jam are able to play - compared to their contemporaries... so obviously the average joe will be.
    Curious who you would consider their contemporaries that are still touring. 
    Good question... hmm.. what was I thinking, well I guess Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine inch nails... which here in Sweden play/have played a ”lower tier” of arenas than Pearl Jam. 

And then you have Guns N Roses and Foo Fighters that play a tier above Pearl Jam. 

Crowd size wise
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Off topic but the Foos are bigger than PJ? Damn.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    I'm missing why this is a big deal.   I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing Pearl Jam would have been well within their rights to just skip the letter and sue them for infringement, no?  But instead they made a polite yet firm request for them to cease & desist.  Basically saying... please stop infringing on our name and we'll be cool and not sue you.  That doesn't really make the band bad guys to me.  But maybe I'm missing something here. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore