Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    This is just a lesson to bands that you should still be even a tiny bit creative wherever possible even if you’re a tribute act.  Or maybe not if you want to get famous for a week. 

I really enjoyed the Black Circle webcasts during the pandemic.  Those guys were good. 
    yeah, I dug that band. too bad getting their music is so expensive. 

Legal Jam? Using the fucking stickman for their shirts? and people are defending this? LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    PJNB said:
    Image may contain text

Legal Jam 

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    why not go for two and call is Def Jamm?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    sorry i am not trying to shit on anybody, but they should have known better. there are dozens of songs and albums, or phrases referenced by the band that would have been way more subtle and less blatant. pearl jamm is probably the worst name a pj tribute could have picked.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    "A name doesn't define us, mostly because we just ripped it off from someone else"
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 683
    Legal Jam... oh dear🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    This is just a lesson to bands that you should still be even a tiny bit creative wherever possible even if you’re a tribute act.  Or maybe not if you want to get famous for a week. 

I really enjoyed the Black Circle webcasts during the pandemic.  Those guys were good. 

Legal Jam? Using the fucking stickman for their shirts? and people are defending this? LOL
    $45 for the record and $12 to ship is a little bit too much for me. You can download it on Amazon for around $10 though. I might end up doing that. 
  • Options

$45 for the record and $12 to ship is a little bit too much for me. You can download it on Amazon for around $10 though. I might end up doing that. 
    yeah, i can get it for $10 on apple. I was interested in the vinyl, but way too steep. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2021

i did not follow the black circle thing. i am familiar with them having seen a few videos on social media a few months ago.

how could they get away with it with approval from Ed? is it because their name was different?
    As far as I can tell, Black Circle have a bunch of original music and none of their branding even hints at Pearl Jam. If someone just told me to check these guys out, I think it would take a while to figure out they do a Pearl Jam tribute.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

i did not follow the black circle thing. i am familiar with them having seen a few videos on social media a few months ago.

how could they get away with it with approval from Ed? is it because their name was different?
    As far as I can tell, Black Circle have a bunch of original music and none of their branding even hints at Pearl Jam. If someone just told me to check these guys out, I think it would take a while to figure out they do a Pearl Jam tribute.
    ah gotcha.

it is different being an original band that happens to do some pj tribute on the side.

i would like to check out some of their originals but i am just inundated with new albums and new bands to digest at the moment.

• Options
    pjl44 said:

ah gotcha.

it is different being an original band that happens to do some pj tribute on the side.

i would like to check out some of their originals but i am just inundated with new albums and new bands to digest at the moment.
    Same here. And to be fair, I am by no means an expert on these guys. Decided to check them out just now to get a handle on the difference and that is my impression. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

ah gotcha.

why do you think Black Circle would need approval from ed?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:

ah gotcha.

i do not think they need it. i just remember seeing some promotional stuff on social media where Ed and Jill were somehow affilliated with whatever the band was involved with. maybe a fundraiser or something? i did not pay attention at the time.

• Options
    pjl44 said:

ah gotcha.

i do not think they need it. i just remember seeing some promotional stuff on social media where Ed and Jill were somehow affilliated with whatever the band was involved with. maybe a fundraiser or something? i did not pay attention at the time.
    yeah, I don't know how that relationship started. But Jill said something on instagram about them actually being friends or "friendly" with the band. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    Yeah I’m with the band on this one..that merch they are selling is a blatant rip off and totally unacceptable 
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022

• Options
    Litigiousness is never cool. This is the first uncool thing I can remember PJ doing, ever. How could you possibly thing that PJ is hurting for money, in any way? What, do they want their grandchildren to not have to work? Look at their revenues per concert. Half their fans make under 50,000 U.S. per year. You think blokes in a tribute band are getting rich? How much do you have to love a band to only play their songs? Threatening action against a tribute band is not the same as taking on TicketMaster. Eddie, please stop the nonsense and go back to defending women getting hassles in the crowd. 
  • Options
    Wybeelius said:
    Litigiousness is never cool. This is the first uncool thing I can remember PJ doing, ever. How could you possibly thing that PJ is hurting for money, in any way? What, do they want their grandchildren to not have to work? Look at their revenues per concert. Half their fans make under 50,000 U.S. per year. You think blokes in a tribute band are getting rich? How much do you have to love a band to only play their songs? Threatening action against a tribute band is not the same as taking on TicketMaster. Eddie, please stop the nonsense and go back to defending women getting hassles in the crowd. 
    you think this is about money?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    That anyone is defending this cover band or thinks Pearl Jam should have handled this any other way is laughable. 

Learn the bare minimum about trademark & copyright infringement, people. 
  • Options
    Wybeelius said:
    This is the first uncool thing I can remember PJ doing, ever. 
    Ahem..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdF1Rqet9E8
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    first post = member of Legal Jam?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    first post = member of Legal Jam?

:D 
  • Options
    RatherBeRatherBe Posts: 270
    edited January 2021
    LOL, that's plainly copyright infringement. No two ways around it. What exactly are Double-M whinging about? They can't just use Single-M's logos and artwork with impunity. What are they inhaling? My sympathy is not with these guys at all. They might be the nicest guys in the universe for all I know but, damn, change your name. You're a tribute band, not a copycat band, right? WTF?
    Post edited by RatherBe on
    It's a disease and they're all green, it emanates from their being...
  • Options

Another great name for a tribute band.
  • Options
    i'd also like to know what portion of the internet they apparently set on fire. i must have missed that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    why not go for two and call is Def Jamm?
    Deaf Jamm might be more fitting.
  • Options
    Legal Jam?

That's their response?  Lol.  Yikes.   

In place of the stick man, they will be using an ambulance arriving at an accident scene.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    i'd also like to know what portion of the internet they apparently set on fire. i must have missed that. 
    This thread. It's more like smoldering, but let them have this one thing. Can't you?  
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Lazy, blatant copyright infringement. I have no problem with Pearl Jam being aggressive in protecting their intellectual property.
  • Options
    This thread. It's more like smoldering, but let them have this one thing. Can't you?  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    Their response is the most childish thing that could have come from this. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016