Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
edited January 2021 in The Porch
Saw a BBC-segment someone put up on facebook about Pearl Jam wanting the band to stop using their name, handing over their domain name and destroying all their merch. 

Link to video: https://www.facebook.com/672665585/videos/10158832811015586/

I wonder if Pearl Jam management tried to reach out in a more... "hey you guys, could you please..." way before sending the cease and desist letter... 

Matt Cameron got a cease and desist letter from Gene Simmons people when having a KISS tribute band in high school by the way. Fun anecdote. 

It is this band by the way. Remember them from this back in 2018:

Tribute band 'save the day' after Pearl Jam cancel O2 gig

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-london-44659087

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    come on. just adding an "m" at the end of the name? that's not hard to understand why they'd ask them to stop using it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    come on. just adding an "m" at the end of the name? that's not hard to understand why they'd ask them to stop using it. 
    It's not as clever as:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Why are they picking on one band in times like these.? What about all the PJ tribute bands in USA, Australia and here in the UK, nothing in the new about that. Pearl Jamm are a fantastic bunch of guys who love the real PJ and put on a fantastic show. I have loved PJ since 1994 before anyone gets on me. Look out Stereotonics, Noasis and Foo Fighterz. I am in shock because I love PJ and the bands outlook, charitable work and morality as well as they’re music. As mentioned before, these guys stepped up at a few hours notice when London gig was cancelled, they are good guys
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    edited January 2021
    Surprised it took this long. Nothing against the cover band.  
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    Why are they picking on one band in times like these.? What about all the PJ tribute bands in USA, Australia and here in the UK, nothing in the new about that. Pearl Jamm are a fantastic bunch of guys who love the real PJ and put on a fantastic show. I have loved PJ since 1994 before anyone gets on me. Look out Stereotonics, Noasis and Foo Fighterz. I am in shock because I love PJ and the bands outlook, charitable work and morality as well as they’re music. As mentioned before, these guys stepped up at a few hours notice when London gig was cancelled, they are good guys
    Stereotonics and Noasis still sound different.
    I just think they don't want people to confuse them. I've seen post where people thought the actual band was going to play. Either way the cover band can still use a different name and play their songs if they still want to.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    edited January 2021
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.
    Post edited by mrk2 on
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    This is stupid.  And I know these guys. Absolute  fuckin sound guys.
    And pearl jamm  gave people joy in between  pj tours. We are all fans and love the music.  Why is this  a threat to the multi millionaires. 
    Lots of cover bands  out there  doing a wonderful  job. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I just think they don't want people to confuse them. I've seen post where people thought the actual band was going to play. Either way the cover band can still use a different name and play their songs if they still want to.
    I don’t think going to a back street pub in Brighton for a tenner and expecting to see the real PJ happens enough to ruin 5 peoples musical lives
  • Options
    At least there is no 3 day stupid queue
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    igotid88 said:
    let me get one thing straight 1stly you have seen a post where some is paying 10-15£ and they think they are seeing the REAL Pearl Jam ?
    Now, these people must be absolute fucking idiots, Because I'm pretty sure I can tell if I am seeing a tribute band or the real band? It may have something to do with the £1000+ on going to six countries to see PJ somehow I'm not confused one little bit. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited January 2021
    I don't have a problem in itself that Pearl Jam ask a band to change it's name if they are called "Pearl Jamm" and use the same stickman illustration as Pearl Jam themselves. 

I just want to know, what Pearl Jam's camp's approach was, if it was:

"hey guys, it's tricky for us legally to let you use a name as similar to the band, so we would like you change it to something else. And stop selling the merch, let's figure out a deal  - we can pay for the T-shirts etc you have left and you just get rid of them" Cool of you enjoying the bands music enough to have a tribute band!"

or if it was

"letter sent from an attorney out of the blue - STOP NOW OR ELSE..."

Also, this band had been going for a while right? So why now? Kelly Curtis or whoever in charge hasn't stopped any tribute bands before to my knowledge?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,070
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    rock4ever said:
    igotid88 said:
    let me get one thing straight 1stly you have seen a post where some is paying 10-15£ and they think they are seeing the REAL Pearl Jam ?
    Now, these people must be absolute fucking idiots, Because I'm pretty sure I can tell if I am seeing a tribute band or the real band? It may have something to do with the £1000+ on going to six countries to see PJ somehow I'm not confused one little bit. 

This
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    These guys are absolute  gentlemen. I'm on the side of the cover band. Pointless
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited January 2021
    Wait. So i cant name my band The Fooo Fighters?  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    I just spoke to one of them and all uk pj tribute  bands have had the same at the same time . Co-ordinated . Odd hey
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Foo fighters uk have same logo and dave gets the singer up on stage. Seems odd to me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Could it be PJ getting involved with some new people/legal burue and them acting by themselves?

When Bruce Springsteen got signed to Universal or whatever it was... some dude from that record company started purging Bruce-stuff from youtube - I doubt that mandate came from Springsteen.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    Pearl Jam forcing a name change. We've come full circle. :lol:
  • Options
    Haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    really, there must be more to this? I cannot believe this could be happening. As said above, no one in their right mind could possibly be confused. Not a chance. Sad times
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,983
    Hobbes said:
    Haha! 

Whilst I get the arguments that PJ have a right to challenge this, PJ’s actions as a band are always what have separated them from most (not what can you do, but what should you do). How this has been handled does not sit right with me, I agree with Spiritual Chaos 100%. Sort it if you really must, but remember these guys are big fans and treat them as such. 

Or even better, send them some signed stuff and wish them well as they tour through many towns and cities that PJ will never visit again (mine included!)
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 581
    tino_11 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Haha! 

Whilst I get the arguments that PJ have a right to challenge this, PJ’s actions as a band are always what have separated them from most (not what can you do, but what should you do). How this has been handled does not sit right with me, I agree with Spiritual Chaos 100%. Sort it if you really must, but remember these guys are big fans and treat them as such. 

Or even better, send them some signed stuff and wish them well as they tour through many towns and cities that PJ will never visit again (mine included!)
    This.  Have seen them a couple of times, including the quick gig that replaced London 2 in 2018 at the Borderline.   I would hope that this was handled with decency.
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,128
    Hobbes said:
    These guys absolutely need to change the name to Mookie Blaylockk
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I get why they did it.   I was always surprises they got away with calling themselves Pearl Jamm.  It's pretty close to the real thing.   A bit different then naming yourself after title of verse, song, or album.

That being said, could they not have asked before going the lawyer route?  I bet those guys are big Pearl Jam fans.   Could you imagine getting a cease and desist from your favourite band?   Seems odd to lawyer up first, rather than reach out, try asking, then lawyer up?

• Options
    This is stupid.  And I know these guys. Absolute  fuckin sound guys.
    And pearl jamm  gave people joy in between  pj tours. We are all fans and love the music.  Why is this  a threat to the multi millionaires. 
    Lots of cover bands  out there  doing a wonderful  job. 
    whether they are great guys or not is irrelevant. the band simply don't want them profiting off the possibility of a fan not noticing the extra m and thinking it is them. they can be a tribute band all they want. black circle has become friends with ed and jill. because it's obvious they aren't pearl jam. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I don't have a problem in itself that Pearl Jam ask a band to change it's name if they are called "Pearl Jamm" and use the same stickman illustration as Pearl Jam themselves. 

I just want to know, what Pearl Jam's camp's approach was, if it was:

"hey guys, it's tricky for us legally to let you use a name as similar to the band, so we would like you change it to something else. And stop selling the merch, let's figure out a deal  - we can pay for the T-shirts etc you have left and you just get rid of them" Cool of you enjoying the bands music enough to have a tribute band!"

or if it was

"letter sent from an attorney out of the blue - STOP NOW OR ELSE..."

Also, this band had been going for a while right? So why now? Kelly Curtis or whoever in charge hasn't stopped any tribute bands before to my knowledge?
    it's like you think Jeff is contacting the band. it's their legal team. they aren't being "mean". it's a standard way of communicating. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    Hobbes said:
    I passed in the idea and the  thought  has crossed their  mind .haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,128
    pjl44 said:
    Hobbes said:
    I passed in the idea and the  thought  has crossed their  mind .haha
    They should definitely do it. If nothing else it would be interesting to see whose legal team works faster.
  • Options
    mrk2 said:
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.
    Dread Zeppelin?