Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Comments

• Options
    RatherBeRatherBe Posts: 270
    edited January 2021
    Pearl Jamm as the name of a tribute band is as unimaginative as you can possibly get. It's basically a typo. There are so many different song titles and lyrics they could have used. If I had a tribute band I'd want something a little more creative and unique. I actually find it baffling  :|
    Post edited by RatherBe on
    It's a disease and they're all green, it emanates from their being...
  • Options
    PorchRatsPorchRats Albany, NY Posts: 164
    PJ has gotten lamer and lamer over the years... sad to see 😕
    2000: Saratoga
    2003: Albany, Hartford, Camden 1+2,
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston 2,
    2008: Mansfield,
    2010 MSG 1+2,
    2011: Alpine Valley 1+2
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn 1+2, Philly 1+2, Hartford
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    PorchRats said:
    No
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Should have named themselves Pearl Jam 2
    https://youtu.be/loFXQSgbNMg
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 246
    pjl44 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Pearl Jam forcing a name change. We've come full circle. :lol:
    These guys absolutely need to change the name to Mookie Blaylockk
    Haha, yes to this! 
    Why not go the whole hog & go for Mookiee Blaayloock?!? 🤷🏻‍♂️😊👍🏻
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    Maybe Pear L’Jam is the next best option.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PorchRats said:
    Porch Rats would be a great name for a Pearl Jam tribute band.
  • Options
    Bit sad to see Pearl Jam become Ticketmaster and speak through lawyers.
    I do agree the name is too close and some of the merch is too close to what's likely subject to copyright.
    Would prefer the band approached the cover band informally gave them a grace period and then followed up with the cease and desist if the cover band hadn't followed through.
    Always wondered did Dave Abbruzzese and the tattooist get permission from the copyright holder of the Stickman design (being Jeff) prior to getting the tattoo? Maybe the license fee was some beer?

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Bit sad to see Pearl Jam become Ticketmaster and speak through lawyers.
    I do agree the name is too close and some of the merch is too close to what's likely subject to copyright.
    Would prefer the band approached the cover band informally gave them a grace period and then followed up with the cease and desist if the cover band hadn't followed through.
    Always wondered did Dave Abbruzzese and the tattooist get permission from the copyright holder of the Stickman design (being Jeff) prior to getting the tattoo? Maybe the license fee was some beer?

well this jumped the shark. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    They accused Ticketmaster of being a monopolist, the enforcement of IP rights is monopolistic by its very nature. I'm not saying that its not a justifiable use of a monopoly to protect their creative endeavours but that they could have went about it in a way more consistent with the Pearl Jam ethos. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    if you think protecting intellectual property is the same as having a monopoly, there really is nothing left to discuss here. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2021
    They accused Ticketmaster of being a monopolist, the enforcement of IP rights is monopolistic by its very nature. I'm not saying that its not a justifiable use of a monopoly to protect their creative endeavours but that they could have went about it in a way more consistent with the Pearl Jam ethos. 
    They're protecting their intellectual property. They're not stopping other bands from performing or coming up with their own music or branding
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I also don't see how they can be compared to Ticketmaster. What are they monopolizing? Their own name and brand? That makes no sense.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,076

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,913

Pearl Jam lawyers have asked Pearl Jamm, a five-year-old British tribute band, to change their name and destroy all their merchandise.

They asked us to change the name of the band and give up our email addresses, our website domain and destroy all our merchandise” Tim Love, guitarist of Pearl Jamm, a British PJ tribute band active since 2016, told the BBC.

Pearl Jamm have been contacted by Pearl Jam’s lawyers through a cease-and-desist letter, a formal legal notice used to ask the recipient to stop acts or activities that violate legal rights. According to Pearl Jam’s lawyers, the similarity of the name and the merchandise sold by the tribute band (an almost exact replica of the official one) is damaging the Pearl Jam “brand” by causing confusion among fans.

The cover band did not take it well and issued an open letter on their social pages (full version here) addressed to Eddie & Co. “To Eddie, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Matt, Boom; to Pearl Jam, you have broken our hearts. You have known of our tribute band for years yet have waited until a global pandemic to have threatening legal letters sent. This isn’t the Pearl Jam we know and love. No one’s ever come to a show, got to the end of the show, came to us and demanded money back because they were expecting to see Pearl Jam play The Garage in Highbury. Changing our name will lead us to have to put all the social pages back on their feet, losing all the followers”.

The letter has not yet received a response but if the cover band should decide not to comply with the lawyers’ requests, it could turn into an actual legal action.

Looking at the merchandise sold by Pearl Jamm – photos below – the resemblance with the iconic one produced by the Seattle band over the years is evident.

As for the name, although there is a trend, especially in the UK, to pay tribute to great bands by mocking their names (examples are Oasish, an Oasis tribute band, and UK Foo Fighters, tribute band of … well, guess who!), we think that Pearl Jamm should simply change their name, since modifying their username on social networks wouldn’t affect the followers they’ve gained since 2016.

Pearl Jamm are a great tribute band, we wish them all the best and we hope to see them again soon under another name. Nuclear Love Frogs wouldn’t sound bad after all.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,072
    edited January 2021
    LOL: 

What the fuck even are these tshirts - who in their right minds would print up these. Stealing the stickman straight off and the name to boot... That's made-in-china piracy.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,810
    LOL: 

What the fuck even are these tshirts - who in their right minds would print up these. Stealing the stickman straight off and the name to boot... That's made-in-china piracy.

Anyone defending this after seeing this merch needs to give their head a shake. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    How about: "The Band Formerly Known As Pearl Jamm" for new name?
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    PJNB said:
    LOL: 

Yeah, after seeing those shirts, it would be hard to argue their point. 
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Seeing the t shirts, no case to answer here. Got to change that. Again I dont think the band actively seeked them out. It was probably just management acting under the bands best interest and how they acted had to be legal. Not sure why anyone would buy a t shirt like that unless they were really drunk after a gig. 
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Not sure why anyone would buy a t shirt like that unless they were really drunk after a gig. 
    The same people buying this:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,810
    edited January 2021
    Image may contain text

Legal Jam and setting the internet on fire....  Oh boys. 

I feel for them since they seem to have a passion for what they do and I believe them to be legitimately hurt by this. That said it is not about them or their feelings. They should have known better to be selling merch as they were and having a name so close to the bands. This is not difficult. This is not Pearl Jam telling them to stop doing what they love to do rather just do it with their own merch and a couple of other consonants and vowels in their name. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    "let's keep the same name as the band, just add an m at the end. and we can borrow their trademarked logos to sell merch as well. what can possibly go wrong?"

sorry guys. be a bit less obvious next time. it was only a matter of time before you got busted. i am surprised it did not happen sooner.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    This is just a lesson to bands that you should still be even a tiny bit creative wherever possible even if you’re a tribute act.  Or maybe not if you want to get famous for a week. 

I really enjoyed the Black Circle webcasts during the pandemic.  Those guys were good. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    LOL: 

i agree. after scrolling this page quickly and not stopping to look at the merch photo, that merch looks like pearl jam merch. only on second glance did i realize it was pearl jamm.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,374
    And use this to your advantage for heavens sake. Your in the news. Have a poll for your new name and get the merch preorder page done.
  • Options
    Talk about lacking in creativity....
    The essence of all tribute bands.
    i don't know if the lacking in creativity is really a fair assessment. 

there are loads of musicians in original bands that do a cover or two because they do not have enough original material to fill a 45 minute time slot. some original bands will end up doing a tribute set to a band that really inspired them. they do this because they like the music. they do not advertise as such, and they do not sell merch.

but they do not become an entire tribute act for profit. 

• Options
    Why not just hijack "The Jamily"
  • Options
    This is just a lesson to bands that you should still be even a tiny bit creative wherever possible even if you’re a tribute act.  Or maybe not if you want to get famous for a week. 

I really enjoyed the Black Circle webcasts during the pandemic.  Those guys were good. 
    i did not follow the black circle thing. i am familiar with them having seen a few videos on social media a few months ago.

how could they get away with it with approval from Ed? is it because their name was different?

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    These dudes are big, whiny babies. Pathetic.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center