Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,322
    rock4ever said:
    igotid88 said:
    Why are they picking on one band in times like these.? What about all the PJ tribute bands in USA, Australia and here in the UK, nothing in the new about that. Pearl Jamm are a fantastic bunch of guys who love the real PJ and put on a fantastic show. I have loved PJ since 1994 before anyone gets on me. Look out Stereotonics, Noasis and Foo Fighterz. I am in shock because I love PJ and the bands outlook, charitable work and morality as well as they’re music. As mentioned before, these guys stepped up at a few hours notice when London gig was cancelled, they are good guys
    Stereotonics and Noasis still sound different.
    I just think they don't want people to confuse them. I've seen post where people thought the actual band was going to play. Either way the cover band can still use a different name and play their songs if they still want to.
    let me get one thing straight 1stly you have seen a post where some is paying 10-15£ and they think they are seeing the REAL Pearl Jam ?
    Now, these people must be absolute fucking idiots, Because I'm pretty sure I can tell if I am seeing a tribute band or the real band? It may have something to do with the £1000+ on going to six countries to see PJ somehow I'm not confused one little bit. 

Not saying it happens 100% of the time. But there are people who don't do the research. If someone said to you "Do you want to see Pearl Jam(m)? And you go thinking you're seeing the real band. I know that seems trivial. 

A little off topic. But it's like when people accuse Pearl Jam of charging $400 or more for tickets when in fact is people reselling them on secondary sites.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    mrk2 said:
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.
    Dread Zeppelin?
    haha, i remember those guys. elvis/zeppelin mashup. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    There's a Roller Derby player who goes by the name Pearl Jam 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mrk2 said:
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.
    Dread Zeppelin?
    I've seen Dread Zeppelin....they were (are?) great....reggae Zep slays
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,023
    Different enough. Not sure about Lez Zeppelin though.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Don't these tribute bands help promote the band itself? It's easy publicity, no? The more tribute bands the better! (I guess the extra "m" might be a bit too close, however).
  • Options
    I don't have a problem in itself that Pearl Jam ask a band to change it's name if they are called "Pearl Jamm" and use the same stickman illustration as Pearl Jam themselves. 

I just want to know, what Pearl Jam's camp's approach was, if it was:

"hey guys, it's tricky for us legally to let you use a name as similar to the band, so we would like you change it to something else. And stop selling the merch, let's figure out a deal  - we can pay for the T-shirts etc you have left and you just get rid of them" Cool of you enjoying the bands music enough to have a tribute band!"

or if it was

"letter sent from an attorney out of the blue - STOP NOW OR ELSE..."

Also, this band had been going for a while right? So why now? Kelly Curtis or whoever in charge hasn't stopped any tribute bands before to my knowledge?
    it's like you think Jeff is contacting the band. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,035
    These guys are absolute  gentlemen. I'm on the side of the cover band. Pointless
    Gentlemen, maybe. Creative enough to give their band a decent name, no. I’m with the real Pearl Jam on this one. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    I have seen it a number of times whether it is someone on Facebook or a friend/family member telling me Pearl Jam are touring the UK or somewheres else. Of course I knew that they were not and that they were mistaken. It always turns out its a site like bands near you or something like that mistakingly promoting the real Pearl Jam when in reality it is this cover band that is actually playing. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    Why not just call themselves literally anything else PJ related without the actual name? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 643
    The lads from pearl jamm tribute must be pretty disappointed that their heroes aren't quite what they thought. I have seen these guys a couple of times and they do a decent job and hold pearl jam's music and spirit in nothing but the highest regard. They must feel quite sad about this. The tribute band have also confirmed that the members of pearl jam have approved this legal action.

You have Metallica who get a hard time for being a money machine, yet they stepped in to prevent their legal team taking action against a Metallica tribute act.
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    beano.79 said:
    The lads from pearl jamm tribute must be pretty disappointed that their heroes aren't quite what they thought. I have seen these guys a couple of times and they do a decent job and hold pearl jam's music and spirit in nothing but the highest regard. They must feel quite sad about this. The tribute band have also confirmed that the members of pearl jam have approved this legal action.

You have Metallica who get a hard time for being a money machine, yet they stepped in to prevent their legal team taking action against a Metallica tribute act.
    What are the Metallica tribute act called? Are they called Metallicaa? 

I think this is all about money on both sides. And fair enough for the actual band.  Can't Pearl Jamm just come up with a more imaginative name for their "tribute" act?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It just doesn't seem to sit right with what we all thought pearl jam were about. were talking about a band consisting of fans selling a few hundred tickets here in the UK that has no bearing on the wealth of pearl jam. For them to say it is damaging their brand... not a chance. I do understand there probably is a legal matter here, but for a band like pearl jam to seek this out and be this concerned about a small band of fans paying tribute, for me is very disappointing.
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    I get your point @beano.79  it does appear at first glance harsh but......
    I had a friend - not a big PJ fan - who emailed me a couple of years ago in excitement that he had bought a couple of tickets for Pearl Jam in Birmingham for their upcoming tour.  The Academy I think it was. 
    From Bandsintown the email came.  He had a fight on his hands for getting a refund which is fair enough. he should have looked more carefully.    Or should he?  Should the band name not really be almost IDENTICAL???
    No malice intended to the guys in the cover band but really, it seems a deliberate move to name themselves as closely to the actual name as they can. All the merch is identical too.
    Just not in the spirit of the original band in my opinion either..
  • Options

The Dissidents
    The Lightening Bolts
    The Back Pacers 
    Immortality 
    In Hiding
    Vitalogists 

It won't reduce attendance at their gigs surely?
  • Options

The Dissidents
    The Lightening Bolts
    The Back Pacers 
    Immortality 
    In Hiding
    Vitalogists 

likewise, I take your point. I may be being unrealistic but Im just surprised that pearl jam find it such a big deal. but also I guess law is law. Just feels wrong to me if that makes sense
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Should not have used Pearl Jamm name to begin with.  Makes sense to want to use that name though, obviously.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    beano.79 said:

The Dissidents
    The Lightening Bolts
    The Back Pacers 
    Immortality 
    In Hiding
    Vitalogists 

likewise, I take your point. I may be being unrealistic but Im just surprised that pearl jam find it such a big deal. but also I guess law is law. Just feels wrong to me if that makes sense
    Fair play! I get what you mean, I unsubscribed from bandsintown - this email is from 2018....  I think this is the bigger problem. Not for the band, for potential mistaken fans buying tickets and merch for something that isn't PJ.  Maybe the band are concerned about this for people beyond Pearl Jamm ?  Think this might have been Pearl Jam UK?

Pearl Jam just announced a new show. 

Pearl Jam

The Scholar @ Leicester, United Kingdom

Sat, Nov 17, 2018

Interested Going Tickets
    Download On The App Store Get It On Google Play
    Facebook Instagram Bandsintown Twitter Youtube

© 2018 Bandsintown, LLC

1216 Broadway 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10001.
    To opt out or manage your notifications click here.

Post edited by Peasant Tents on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    I don't have a problem in itself that Pearl Jam ask a band to change it's name if they are called "Pearl Jamm" and use the same stickman illustration as Pearl Jam themselves. 

I just want to know, what Pearl Jam's camp's approach was, if it was:

"hey guys, it's tricky for us legally to let you use a name as similar to the band, so we would like you change it to something else. And stop selling the merch, let's figure out a deal  - we can pay for the T-shirts etc you have left and you just get rid of them" Cool of you enjoying the bands music enough to have a tribute band!"

or if it was

"letter sent from an attorney out of the blue - STOP NOW OR ELSE..."

Also, this band had been going for a while right? So why now? Kelly Curtis or whoever in charge hasn't stopped any tribute bands before to my knowledge?
    it's like you think Jeff is contacting the band. it's their legal team. they aren't being "mean". it's a standard way of communicating. 

I find this sad, that the common way to communicate is with lawyers... lol.   I agree it is the standard, but how did we go from talking to a person (or persons) to try and resolve a conflict, to straight to lawyers.. it's sad :(

I'm sure if one of the guys, or even PJ's management gave them a call they'd stop using the name.  If they didn't, then you bust out the lawyer.

I do agree the name isn't really different enough.   Especially because when said verbally it's the same.

How would metallica take it if a tribute named themselves Metalllica or something like that.. lol.

PJ doesn't seem to have issue with tribute bands, just the one that has a name that's way to close to the real thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think some are misunderstanding. Pearl Jam doesn't have problems with tribute bands. It's more a naming issue. And I doubt it was the actual members who said to go after them.

Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 364
    Why not just call themselves literally anything else PJ related without the actual name? 
    Bugs
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    hairgrowth2001hairgrowth2001 Posts: 319
    edited January 2021
    Peril Gym
    Purell Gem
    Post edited by hairgrowth2001 on
  • Options
    Purple Ham
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    The Giga Tones
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    Garnet Jelly
  • Options
    GS163319GS163319 Posts: 130
    Jesus fucking christ. Who gives a flying fuck? Being a fan of this band is made much harder/ embarrassing by the school marms like this spiritual chaos motherfucker who make a deal out everything. 
  • Options
    GS163319 said:
    Jesus fucking christ. Who gives a flying fuck? Being a fan of this band is made much harder/ embarrassing by the school marms like this spiritual chaos motherfucker who make a deal out everything. 
    Come on you can do better than name call .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    GS163319 said:
    This is uncalled for and just plain rude. But I guess you don’t give a flying fuck
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Pearl Ham could be the new name. Thats what my fat fingers seem to type every time I am in the mood to buy something on ebay I dont reallly need.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Pearl Ham could be the new name. Thats what my fat fingers seem to type every time I am in the mood to buy something on ebay I dont reallly need.
    Agreed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -