Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    Yeah these are always touchy situations. The issue being if PJ allows this to occur, it could open a can of worms.

Why is making money off the band ok in this case for so many? Just cause it’s small? Just trying to understand the reasoning. Then again I’ve never been a fan of pure cover bands. Go do your own thing.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    who cares they are great cover band 
    danny d
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    edited January 2021
    I thought Pearl Jam was a cover band.

Also, do Pearl Jam cover bands cover songs that Pearl Jam covers?
  • Options
    Yes
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    I thought Pearl Jam was a cover band.

Also, do Pearl Jam cover bands cover songs that Pearl Jam covers?
    :)
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Talk about lacking in creativity. A Pearl Jam tribute band named “Pearl Jamm” is kind of embarrassing. Nothing against tribute bands. But come on, name your band after a song or album title, or a phrase associated with the band, like every other tribute band does. 

I used to get a laugh out of the PJ tribute band “Backseat Lover” because I assumed it was a mishearing of the “Once” lyric “BackSTREET lover on the side of the road.” But this is way funnier. Pearl Jamm. They should get together with Nirvanaa and put on the ultimate grunge nostalgia show. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    It’s all glorified karaoke in the end.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,074
    edited January 2021
    GS163319 said:
    Jesus fucking christ. Who gives a flying fuck? Being a fan of this band is made much harder/ embarrassing by the school marms like this spiritual chaos motherfucker who make a deal out everything. 

ok

I think there is an "ignore" function on this forum, if you can't stand common sense.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    It’s all glorified karaoke in the end.
    Maybe but these individuals’ musical ability is pretty impressive even if it’s just imitation.
  • Options
    It is  sing along amongst  common minded people . And its great in the years between tours to see friends.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    I get your point @beano.79  it does appear at first glance harsh but......
    I had a friend - not a big PJ fan - who emailed me a couple of years ago in excitement that he had bought a couple of tickets for Pearl Jam in Birmingham for their upcoming tour.  The Academy I think it was. 
    From Bandsintown the email came.  He had a fight on his hands for getting a refund which is fair enough. he should have looked more carefully.    Or should he?  Should the band name not really be almost IDENTICAL???
    No malice intended to the guys in the cover band but really, it seems a deliberate move to name themselves as closely to the actual name as they can. All the merch is identical too.
    Just not in the spirit of the original band in my opinion either..
    So what you are saying is your mate was so excited to see Pearl Jam that he didn't realise that the ticket was only 15 quid, would that not have given it away to start with? That saying suppose he/she had been to any other big band gig or even a decent band - you would know that tickets are not 15 quid. I would say minimum £45 
  • Options
    Pj 80+
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    rock4ever said:
    I get your point @beano.79  it does appear at first glance harsh but......
    I had a friend - not a big PJ fan - who emailed me a couple of years ago in excitement that he had bought a couple of tickets for Pearl Jam in Birmingham for their upcoming tour.  The Academy I think it was. 
    From Bandsintown the email came.  He had a fight on his hands for getting a refund which is fair enough. he should have looked more carefully.    Or should he?  Should the band name not really be almost IDENTICAL???
    No malice intended to the guys in the cover band but really, it seems a deliberate move to name themselves as closely to the actual name as they can. All the merch is identical too.
    Just not in the spirit of the original band in my opinion either..
    So what you are saying is your mate was so excited to see Pearl Jam that he didn't realise that the ticket was only 15 quid, would that not have given it away to start with? That saying suppose he/she had been to any other big band gig or even a decent band - you would know that tickets are not 15 quid. I would say minimum £45 
    By this logic, it would be okey with them being called PEARL JAM because no one would believe it would be the American rock band pearl jam based on the admission price. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    And by the way, who in the brainstorming session came up with "lets tag an extra M on at the end" and why did the rest of the members go along with it... haha.... 
  • Options
    BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    There's literally hundreds of other more creative names they could've picked. It's quite obvious that they were intending on being discovered through standard searches or articles on the real Pearl Jam. Much like Pearl Jam UK, which is perhaps only slightly more acceptable. All that being said, I can't fathom that the actual band members have anything to do with their management's actions in regards to going after cover bands.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    For all the people shocked that someone could be fooled, understand that we're the outliers. When I tell people I'm going to see them, I often get a "they're still around?" Casual music fans or non-music fans aren't necessarily aware of who's selling out ballparks and sheds vs. what's on the radio. They're certainly not keyed into what the capacity of a venue is and whether it's too big or small for a band they haven't thought much about in a decade or more.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    mrk2 said:
    Nothing against them, but maybe try using a bit more imagination when giving a name to your tribute band. I'm sure Led Zeppelinn or Pink Floydd would be hearing from their lawyers too.
    Dread Zeppelin?
    I've  seen Dread Zeppelin a couple of times. Always a fun time.
    I've  also seen Lez Zeppelin and Led Zep Again.
    Jimmy Page even played with Zep Again once.

Must be something more than just the name.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    pjl44 said:
    For all the people shocked that someone could be fooled, understand that we're the outliers. When I tell people I'm going to see them, I often get a "they're still around?" Casual music fans or non-music fans aren't necessarily aware of who's selling out ballparks and sheds vs. what's on the radio. They're certainly not keyed into what the capacity of a venue is and whether it's too big or small for a band they haven't thought much about in a decade or more.
    bingo
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    pjl44 said:
    All of this. When I got (crappy nosebleed) tickets to their show at the Joe (in total disbelief that it's been over 6 years now, btw), one of my co-workers gave me a bewildered - if not disgusted - look that anyone would actually be interested in still going to see them live. Not to mention that he certainly had no idea they were playing an arena and that it had sold out within minutes. To him they were a 90s relic that weren't worthy of even being mentioned anymore. And that's hard to fathom from inside the fan bubble - but I feel like TOOL is in a similar standing where they have an extremely large, dedicated fan base but are well outside the mainstream for everyone else that's stopped paying attention.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • Options
    BV84003 said:
    pjl44 said:
    All of this. When I got (crappy nosebleed) tickets to their show at the Joe (in total disbelief that it's been over 6 years now, btw), one of my co-workers gave me a bewildered - if not disgusted - look that anyone would actually be interested in still going to see them live. Not to mention that he certainly had no idea they were playing an arena and that it had sold out within minutes. To him they were a 90s relic that weren't worthy of even being mentioned anymore. And that's hard to fathom from inside the fan bubble - but I feel like TOOL is in a similar standing where they have an extremely large, dedicated fan base but are well outside the mainstream for everyone else that's stopped paying attention.
    i've experienced this but in the reverse. a co worker of mine is a fan of 90's alternative pop (see: Goo Goo Dolls, etc) and he often tells me of  a show he's going to, and my reaction is often "they're still together? and they're playing THERE?". so if for some lark someone were to tell me "hey, we're going to see the Goo Goo Dollz; they're playing a bar and it was only $15" I'd be like "sure, sounds like fun". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I find myself surprised by the sizes of arenas Pearl Jam are able to play - compared to their contemporaries... so obviously the average joe will be.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    I find myself surprised by the sizes of arenas Pearl Jam are able to play - compared to their contemporaries... so obviously the average joe will be.
    Curious who you would consider their contemporaries that are still touring. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920
    To Eddie, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Matt, Boom; to Pearl Jam, you have broken our hearts.

You have known of our tribute band for years yet have waited until a global pandemic to have threatening legal letters sent. This isn’t the Pearl Jam we know and love, the Pearl Jam that stands up for social issues and against corporate giants. Yet your lawyers tell us it is indeed you, the band, that are behind this.

We know how Matt Cameron felt about his heroes, Kiss, when they took umbrage to his own tribute band ‘kiss’ (lower case). No one has ever confused us or our merchandise with you or your merchandise, and so to say that is “likely” is clearly nonsense. We have not caused you or your brand any damage whatsoever, in fact we have done quite the opposite.

Such was the pressure exerted by the aggressive wording of the legal letters we received, we have questioned whether we even want to continue. We know of at least one other tribute band that decided to call it a day over this. It may have been easier, cheaper and more effective for one of you to reach out to us personally. We would have done that for you. But not like this.

Your actions are out of character and unreasonable yet our love for the music endures. We sincerely hope that, despite confirmation to the contrary, you are blissfully unaware of actions being taken in your name. We invite you to respond either publicly or privately and rescind the legal threats that have been made.

We would like to thank our own fans who have shown us overwhelming support since this story broke and who have voiced equal disappointment in the actions of Pearl Jam

With love,
    Santi, Richard, Matt, Tim & Andy (‘Pearl Jamm’)

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    As I said on FB. Overly dramatic. Just change the name and move on.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    totally. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    edited January 2021
    Perhaps this stems from someone who bought a ticket to see Pearl Jamm and didn't realize that this was not the official band.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I agree.  I understand themm being pissed.  But just accept it and move on with a name change.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    Agree.  So simple.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Its just ridiculous.  They have been playing since 2016. Why now.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I personally  know these guys and I'm sure they will do just that. Change name and move on for the love of pearl jam which is what this was all about from day one.  You can't just un love music but its all very messy and not needed all round
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07