Options

Nate Silver 538

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,811
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    benjs said:

And 538 includes Quinnipiac which is a very pro democratic poll, so it could go both ways.

RCP had Clinton +1.7 last time in PA and 538 was +3.7, so if I were Nate I wouldn’t be so dismissive about RCP. I’d say RCP a better job In PA last time. I hope Quinnipiac is right, but my expectation in an 87% chance race is that the tipping point state would  have a more comfortable lead, one that’s nearly as solid as the national. I don’t think Nate can make that claim .

I’ve been chirping at Nate on social media about PA the last couple days, glad he’s paying attention ;)

While 538 includes Quinnipiac along with other polls which tend to lean a specific direction, they do adjust for biases to counteract. Add to that the wisdom of the crowd benefit by aggregating across different polls. 
    Correct.
    Amundo.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    benjs said:

And 538 includes Quinnipiac which is a very pro democratic poll, so it could go both ways.

RCP had Clinton +1.7 last time in PA and 538 was +3.7, so if I were Nate I wouldn’t be so dismissive about RCP. I’d say RCP a better job In PA last time. I hope Quinnipiac is right, but my expectation in an 87% chance race is that the tipping point state would  have a more comfortable lead, one that’s nearly as solid as the national. I don’t think Nate can make that claim .

I’ve been chirping at Nate on social media about PA the last couple days, glad he’s paying attention ;)

While 538 includes Quinnipiac along with other polls which tend to lean a specific direction, they do adjust for biases to counteract. Add to that the wisdom of the crowd benefit by aggregating across different polls. 
    Correct.
    Amundo.

Cmon. Quinnipiac has Biden +13 in PA. That’s clearly way off. Of course I wish it were correct.

Anyone want to take action on that spread? I’ll put a grand that Biden doesn’t win PA by that much. I’d happily lose that bet because if that poll were real the Dems will sweep into power almost everywhere.

RCP, for their lack of “wisdom of the crowd“ did a better job predicting PA last time. I am not saying they will be more accurate again, but their data is at a minimum, respectable.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    As stated, 538 recognizes how Quinnipiac skews and adjusts the probabilities.

Rasmussen... basically the Quinnipiac counterweight, has biden up by 3 in PA.  

there are a bunch in the middle, typically more accurate.  Their methods, trends. everything is taken into account.  Last turn, 538 had was one of the only places that gave trump a decent statistical shot.  

• Options
    edited October 2020
    MayDay10 said:

there are a bunch in the middle, typically more accurate.  Their methods, trends. everything is taken into account.  Last turn, 538 had was one of the only places that gave trump a decent statistical shot.  

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

Come on, Lex. What is so difficult here?

Suffolk today out with Biden up 6 in PA. "A" rated pollster. Given all the info we have, that sounds....SHOCKINGLY ACCURATE! lol

Filter all polling this month by those rated B and above (so you get rid of Rasmussen, Trafalgar and also Survey Monkey, etc)....and you have Biden up by an average of 7.8%

Looking good with under two weeks to go. Big debate tomorrow and we already know the president somehow made a fool of himself on 60 Minutes on Sunday and is doing nothing but drawing more attention to it. Get those confidence levels up, people.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

Suffolk today out with Biden up 6 in PA. "A" rated pollster. Given all the info we have, that sounds....SHOCKINGLY ACCURATE! lol

Filter all polling this month by those rated B and above (so you get rid of Rasmussen, Trafalgar and also Survey Monkey, etc)....and you have Biden up by an average of 7.8%

Looking good with under two weeks to go. Big debate tomorrow and we already know the president somehow made a fool of himself on 60 Minutes on Sunday and is doing nothing but drawing more attention to it. Get those confidence levels up, people.
    Get your asses out to VOTE! Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden is down 23! Nationwide!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

Get your asses out to VOTE! Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden is down 23! Nationwide!
    Already did. I'm only allowed to vote once. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    benjs said:

Correct.
    Amundo.

Cmon. Quinnipiac has Biden +13 in PA. That’s clearly way off. Of course I wish it were correct.

Anyone want to take action on that spread? I’ll put a grand that Biden doesn’t win PA by that much. I’d happily lose that bet because if that poll were real the Dems will sweep into power almost everywhere.

RCP, for their lack of “wisdom of the crowd“ did a better job predicting PA last time. I am not saying they will be more accurate again, but their data is at a minimum, respectable.
    They use them but they discount the results based on past performance....this isn't rocket science.  If Quinn is normally 20% overstated they will discount the result by 20% in their model.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Biden has been favored 72/28 or 73/27 for a week or so....today it dropped slightly

Almost two months later...

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,867
    That is still about 12 too many little red dots, but it is a start.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    That's a pretty generous illustration of Trump.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    MayDay10 said:

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

Already did. I'm only allowed to vote once. 
    Everytime I hear Republicans cry about their fantasy version of voter fraud a little part of me wishes it was real. If so I would drive up to New Hampshire and vote every election. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Oooooohhh 538 has a new toy. I like it.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-biden-election-map/

It's basically 270toWin's, but with 538's model applied. Very cool.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

I think my point is simple and I hope it’s clear I believe Biden has a better chance to win than trump. But I don’t think RCPs data can be disregarded because we think Nates process is the best. He was actually outperformed by RCPs much simpler process last time. I don’t believe that guarantees anything this year, but gives me just enough pause to say an 88% race should not have tipping point states within or close to the MoE.

What Nate said last time, “trump is one poling error from winning” seems to be applicable again. Last time nationally. This time in PA FL NC AZ which are the key tipping point states all within MoE. 
  • Options
    Oooooohhh 538 has a new toy. I like it.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-biden-election-map/

It's basically 270toWin's, but with 538's model applied. Very cool.
    Nice. I've always thought they should have something like that on their site
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Quinnipiac has Biden up 8 in PA. Suffolk today has him up 6 here as well. Some good state numbers for Joe today.

Good stuff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    MayDay10 said:

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

I think my point is simple and I hope it’s clear I believe Biden has a better chance to win than trump. But I don’t think RCPs data can be disregarded because we think Nates process is the best. He was actually outperformed by RCPs much simpler process last time. I don’t believe that guarantees anything this year, but gives me just enough pause to say an 88% race should not have tipping point states within or close to the MoE.

What Nate said last time, “trump is one poling error from winning” seems to be applicable again. Last time nationally. This time in PA FL NC AZ which are the key tipping point states all within MoE. 
    RCP doesn't do anything with the polls but average them, right?  It's not an analytical exercise. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

CORRECT.
    AMUNDO.

RCP doesn't do anything with the polls but average them, right?  It's not an analytical exercise. 

They have some sort of system including some and excluding others. Early voting data being released  is giving me hope the polls will not be overwhelmed with NCW Trumpsters.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    What does ICP have?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    What does ICP have?
    Faygo
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    whoop whoop

• Options
    13/86 now...trending in the wrong direction! 
  • Options

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    And just like that after some higher quality polls yesterday, RCP is back to about a 5% lead in PA while 538, who doesn’t sway much with garbage polling, remains around 6%. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    And just like that after some higher quality polls yesterday, RCP is back to about a 5% lead in PA while 538, who doesn’t sway much with garbage polling, remains around 6%. 

I’ll make the point again, in 2016 RCP was more accurate than 538. In 2012, it probably was not. But that’s not enough to pre judge the current data.

I am liking most of the PA polls yesterday, except that Fox one at +5. As you know, Fox is a strong lean D, per  Nate (+1.5 IIRC).+5 Biden in a poll with a strong D lean seems to be within MoE. Hopefully pollsters are overcompensating for 2016 turnout, and it’s more like 2012. But that’s hope, not data.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

I’ll make the point again, in 2016 RCP was more accurate than 538. In 2012, it probably was not. But that’s not enough to pre judge the current data.

I am liking most of the PA polls yesterday, except that Fox one at +5. As you know, Fox is a strong lean D, per  Nate (+1.5 IIRC).+5 Biden in a poll with a strong D lean seems to be within MoE. Hopefully pollsters are overcompensating for 2016 turnout, and it’s more like 2012. But that’s hope, not data.
    A broken clock is right twice a day.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

For reference....HC was 70% on election day

• Options
    benjs said:

Exactly - same goes for an some guy I work with who now follows only Rasmussen because they were right in 2016. I proceeded to tell him every squirrel finds a nut. He also went on to think CA had a chance to go red because of some dumb tweet, sooo.... 

Confirmation bias is a helluva drug.
  • Options
    benjs said:

Exactly - same goes for an some guy I work with who now follows only Rasmussen because they were right in 2016. I proceeded to tell him every squirrel finds a nut. He also went on to think CA had a chance to go red because of some dumb tweet, sooo.... 

It’s more than just confirm bias or a broken clock. NCWs are the largest demo that most pollsters missed, and nobody is sure if they will bring a bigger tidal wave of support this time.

I also think its possible the AA dem base will also show up in big numbers, with Obama helping. I certainly miss having a leader like him. But that demo is much much smaller, so polling error there has a lower impact
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    benjs said:

It’s more than just confirm bias or a broken clock. NCWs are the largest demo that most pollsters missed, and nobody is sure if they will bring a bigger tidal wave of support this time.

I also think its possible the AA dem base will also show up in big numbers, with Obama helping. I certainly miss having a leader like him. But that demo is much much smaller, so polling error there has a lower impact
    Non-college whites?
    Why were they missed.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin