Options

I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    Not what I expected. Great album! 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,752
    Of the Earth is half a song as far as I am concerned. It doesn’t fit anywhere. 
    Plus it’s like 10 years old. I’m surprised people are still hoping for it. It’s not like a recorded version would be better than it is live anyway. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    To each their own - but I think this is among their best work.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    Of the Earth is half a song as far as I am concerned. It doesn’t fit anywhere. 
    It would fit better as a standalone Christmas single than on an album
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Can't agree with you.
    Gigaton is a great album. I can't get enough of it.
    Give it a listen.
    And be safe everyone!
    Dublin 00, Dublin 06, Madrid 07, Nijmegen 07, Rotterdam 09, Berlin 09, Manchester 09, London 09, Dublin 10, Belfast 10, East Troy PJ20 11 (1 & 2), Amsterdam 12 (1 & 2), L.A. 13 (1 & 2), Amsterdam 14 (1 & 2), Milan 14, Vienna 14, Berlin 14, Stockholm 14, Oslo 14, Boston 16 (1 & 2), London 18 (1 & 2).
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,695
    Great album. Except for Buckle Up, this thing is solid
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,464
    bigbiggzy said:
    To each their own - but I think this is among their best work.

Time to make a custom playlist. Done! 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,693
    If you are a Pearl Jam “fan” and only like one song on gigaton then something is wrong with you. I really like this record a lot. 8/10
    Speaking of "trolling".
    Haha, wrong but thanks for playing Becky. I forgot about all the winners that come out of the woodwork when an album is released and piss and moan that even flow wasn’t re released. Have a good day complaining on here Becky!
    Yeah,  who is this @Spiritual_Chaos and did just join today? 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    The one thing I do not get from the small minority that dislike the album is the fact they are happy when others agree with them. Comments like "I am glad I am not the only one" and "thank you" when someone else replies with a similar opinion. I was not a huge fan of Backspacer when it came out or now for that matter. There is no way however that I would be happy or show joy that someone else did not like it either. I would hope that everyone else loved it and I was the odd duck. I guess it is really strange to me seeing people showing a positive reaction to a negative thought towards a band I assume we all love or loved at one point or another. 

An above poster summed it up well. It is unfortunate for those that do not like the album and a plus for us that are blown away by it or are liking it. I would rather be on the blown away side any day of the week over the other side. 
    If you derive absolutely no pleasure from finding like-minded people, I’m not sure what you get out this place.
    You take pleasure in people not enjoying the new album? 
    If thinking Skyfall is way overrated. I don't see how people could find it off one would find (quantum of) solace in other sharing that experience.

How could that be surprising. 

Great for people loving Skyfall. But if people fucking shared my view (to a Kill), the franchise would have gone in a better direction.
    You thought skyfall was overrated? 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    The one thing I do not get from the small minority that dislike the album is the fact they are happy when others agree with them. Comments like "I am glad I am not the only one" and "thank you" when someone else replies with a similar opinion. I was not a huge fan of Backspacer when it came out or now for that matter. There is no way however that I would be happy or show joy that someone else did not like it either. I would hope that everyone else loved it and I was the odd duck. I guess it is really strange to me seeing people showing a positive reaction to a negative thought towards a band I assume we all love or loved at one point or another. 

An above poster summed it up well. It is unfortunate for those that do not like the album and a plus for us that are blown away by it or are liking it. I would rather be on the blown away side any day of the week over the other side. 
    If you derive absolutely no pleasure from finding like-minded people, I’m not sure what you get out this place.
    If thinking Skyfall is way overrated. I don't see how people would find it off one would find (quantum of) solace in other sharing that experience.

Great for people loving Skyfall. But if people fucking shared my view (to a KIll) the franchise would have gone in a better direction.

I actually liked Skyfall! 
    I liked Skyfall. 

But it was not the best Bond-movie since Yield.
    You day drinking again?
    Lets just agree over a nice glass of vegan wine, that Quantum of Solace is underrated out of the Craig movie. Tight. A classic bond-plot with a decent bond villain. I don’t remember any boring Ethan Hunt/Jason Bourne having to go rouge yet again BS plot thing that took up time. 

Yes it is sad Amy Winehouse couldnt do the theme and that they rejected Shirley Basseys song - but come on now. And yeah. the camera shakes. deal with it like a grownup people. 

*high five*
    With ice?
  • Options
    405OK405OK Posts: 100
    eboweddie said:
    Gigaton will find a place in this drawer!!! When i get it. I love it. 
    Classic humble brag right here..
    2013 - OKC
    2014 -Tulsa
    2016 - Chicago 1
    2018 - Seattle 1 & 2
    2021 - Ohana I Ohana Encore 1 & 2 
    2022 - Louisville I OKC
    2023 - Ft. Worth 1 & 2 I Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

If thinking Skyfall is way overrated. I don't see how people could find it off one would find (quantum of) solace in other sharing that experience.

Great for people loving Skyfall. But if people fucking shared my view (to a Kill), the franchise would have gone in a better direction.
    You thought skyfall was overrated? 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

If thinking Skyfall is way overrated. I don't see how people would find it off one would find (quantum of) solace in other sharing that experience.

Great for people loving Skyfall. But if people fucking shared my view (to a KIll) the franchise would have gone in a better direction.

I actually liked Skyfall! 
    I liked Skyfall. 

But it was not the best Bond-movie since Yield.
    You day drinking again?
    Lets just agree over a nice glass of vegan wine, that Quantum of Solace is underrated out of the Craig movie. Tight. A classic bond-plot with a decent bond villain. I don’t remember any boring Ethan Hunt/Jason Bourne having to go rouge yet again BS plot thing that took up time. 

Yes it is sad Amy Winehouse couldnt do the theme and that they rejected Shirley Basseys song - but come on now. And yeah. the camera shakes. deal with it like a grownup people. 

*high five*
    With ice?
    Oh hells yes with ice!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    KN219077 said:
    CO278952 said:
    Arguing over whether it is ok for the OP to create a separate thread is kinda silly. I wouldn’t have been reading what he posted unless it was right at the top. The only way I view the forum is by going to Recent Discussions every time. I don’t spend my life on here and know all the etiquette but it is one of the few sites I visit daily. 

The magic of the early records is they captured lightning in a bottle.  Obviously the original songs are classics. The song writing on the first 5 records is great. Most of us became fans in the early years and were along for the ride as their style expanded. The first record that felt stale to me was Avacado. The Brendan O’Brien remix breathed much needed life into it. 

I think Josh Evans did a great job with this record capturing a lot of takes and moments that give these new songs life. DOTC is great, love who ever said and quick escape. (That meme above is hilarious.) These songs don’t sound overly rehearsed or stale on Gigaton. Like the song a lot but not sure why there are so many words crammed into the verses of 7 o’clock.  At least the verses have life to them (it sounds like an early take of the vocals that wasn’t already sung over and over to get perfectly right). Never destination to me feels like a stage rocker similar to Lightning Bolt that they will have fun playing live. Take the long way is cool. Just would like another louder more powerful song somewhere near the back end of the record. I don’t have the patience to get through River Cross. Seems a little self indulgent. Like retrograde. All in all I like gigaton for me is their best since riot act. Funny how now songs like Green Disease which weren’t the highlight of the album back then now feel like amazing PJ songs when looking back over the last 18 years. 
    That’s not because Green Disease is a great song, it’s because the songs after it were just not great (on the average, save for a couple of standout tracks on each album)
    Well, actually it is a great song but I also think their songs take on a new life once they're played live which allows these songs to grow on us over time. 
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    edited March 2020
    Here's my two cents. It's late Monday night and I'm on my 31st listen of the album, to say I can't get enough of it would be an understatement. The only other album I gravitated to immediately like this was Yield, and that speaks volumes for me. Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer & Lightning Bolt were all great albums with a bunch of good songs on them, but I think it took seeing some of the songs live first before I could go back and listen to any of those albums from beginning to end with a greater appreciation.

Gigaton on the other hand is a stunning piece of work as a whole right from the get go for me. From the opening chords of Who Ever Said to the closing notes of River Cross this album takes you on an musical journey. The bands sound feels fresh but strangely familiar at times with every song perfectly intertwining with the next and Ed's lyrics are so masterfully crafted and filled with nods to his hero's all throughout the album, he'll have you lost in Google searches for days. 

It's true folks, we've got a masterpiece on our hands with this one. And to do it at this stage in their career is pretty remarkable when you think about it. Most bands who've been around as long as they have (or longer) aren't putting out quality music like this that's for sure as most of them are riding the nostalgia, 401k tour circuit gravy train with make shift lineups that have maybe one or two original members at best nowadays. 

Post edited by Red Mosqito on
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    The fact that we are still getting new material is one of the reasons that I love this band so much. If anyone doesn't like it, just listen to the other records.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,502
    Here's my two cents. It's late Monday night and I'm on my 31st listen of the album, to say I can't get enough of this album would be an understatement. The only other album I gravitated to immediately like this was Yield, and that speaks volumes for me. Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer & Lightning Bolt were all great albums with a bunch of good songs on them, but I think it took seeing some of the songs live first before I could go back and listen to any of those albums from beginning to end with a greater appreciation.

Gigaton on the other hand is a stunning piece of work as a whole right from the get go for me. From the opening chords of Who Ever Said to the closing notes of River Cross this album takes you on an musical journey. The bands sound feels fresh but strangely familiar at times with every song perfectly intertwining with the next and Ed's lyrics are so masterfully crafted and filled with nods to his hero's all throughout the album, he'll have you lost in Google searches for days. 

It's true folks, we've got a masterpiece on our hands with this one. And to do it at this stage in their career is pretty remarkable when you think about it. Most bands who've been around as long as they have (or longer) aren't putting out quality music like this that's for sure as most of them are riding the nostalgia, 401k tour circuit gravy train with make shift lineups that have maybe one or two original members at best nowadays. 

AMEN!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    BUBBA YOU SAID IT PERFECT!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    The fact that we are still getting new material is one of the reasons that I love this band so much. If anyone doesn't like it, just listen to the other records.
    This!
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 932
    New pearl jam and Brian fallon lp landed thr same day. 2 top lps. Gigaton is fantastic. Its very  uplifting I think. Great lp for  a 55 minute run!!!

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    @Peacefrog1975 People seem to take it really personally if things aren't made to their exact specifications and/or others don't feel the same way!!!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    One thing I do miss is the quirky guitar parts a la stone, like in In Hiding.  These are more polished and finished sounding but I miss those twangy unrefined riffs a bit.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    One thing I do miss is the quirky guitar parts a la stone, like in In Hiding.  These are more polished and finished sounding but I miss those twangy unrefined riffs a bit.
    Very much missed.  I always liked the dueling guitar bits.  

They must have moved on from that style sadly.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    edited March 2020
    I miss Stone anthems

Not that I neeeeed Ten back or anything. But I want him to write another one instead of sort of handing that over to Eddie or whatever has happend.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I think the whole album is too thick and engineered.  It's well done, after all it was mastered by Bob Ludwig, but it's still too many layers for me.  I think I'll like it more after it's stripped back and live.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162

Stones quirky riffs, and his incredible tempo changes from verse to chorus and then mind blowing changes to the bridge. Gigs just not on par with most of their work in that regard for me. 

Also it’s tough for me to express in words how I feel about the vocals. Ed’s voice is still astounding, but how he sings just isn’t here for me. It’s like he sings along with the melody and rhythm. In the early days he sang like his life depended on it, enhancing the  melody and rhythm of the instruments  into his own forceful astounding interpretation. To me, that’s why this forum exists and why we are all on it. Just not hearing the vocal in that manner on the majority of songs here.

But saying that, I still like it because it’s them, and they are very talented. For example, not a huge fan of SBWM, but damn those Mike solos
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150

Stones quirky riffs, and his incredible tempo changes from verse to chorus and then mind blowing changes to the bridge. Gigs just not on par with most of their work in that regard for me. 

Also it’s tough for me to express in words how I feel about the vocals. Ed’s voice is still astounding, but how he sings just isn’t here for me. It’s like he sings along with the melody and rhythm. In the early days he sang like his life depended on it, enhancing the  melody and rhythm of the instruments  into his own forceful astounding interpretation. To me, that’s why this forum exists and why we are all on it. Just not hearing the vocal in that manner on the majority of songs here.

But saying that, I still like it because it’s them, and they are very talented. For example, not a huge fan of SBWM, but damn those Mike solos
    I hear exactly what you’re saying. It’s almost like as I’ve heard other musicians say “when I wrote it I realized it just wasn’t going to work for our band, but it was a perfect ___ song, so I gave he/she a call and we decided we’d work it out together and do a side project.”  

It’s almost like when they all do their own parts separately and then use josh Evans (who did a great job) help glue it all together, it misses the done-at-home feel they had for years back in the day.  It’s a fantastic album, it’s just very different as an end product than what we all are used to.  Does that makes sense at all?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Gigaton is making me appreciate Backspacer and Lightning Bolt as I go back and listen.  I had really high hopes after hearing DOTC and was hoping for more in this vein, but the rest of Gigaton doesn’t do much for me.  It’s not a bad album by any means it is just nowhere near my current tastes.

Also anyone that ranks this above Yield needs to check into a psychiatric facility for a 72 hr eval.

I’m glad a majority of people are really enjoying it and wish I was. So far I’m about 20 listens in, probably won’t do many more.  Hopefully I will enjoy some of these songs live.  One good thing is I’m going back and listening to the other 9 amazing studio albums.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 154
    My 2 cents on this entire thread:

People bash the OP for creating a separate thread about how thinks the album isn't that good. Tell him to post in the general fanviews thread.

Same people read the countless other threads that have been created around how Gigaton is great - and even comment in those same threads agreeing with the OP's of those threads.

LOL. 

• Options
    @ConorKavanagh I’m not taking anything personal. In fact I don’t give a shit what people think of me or my opinions. I didn’t make the album although I do like it. I was agreeing with you saying if someone doesn’t like it just listen to something else. So much negative BS on these boards. The first rule of Pearl Jam is and always has been “Don’t be an asshole” we should try to remember that. Especially in these trying times. Stay safe friends and spread a little kindness! 
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Think about it like this: The album's only a major disappointment if you don't like it. If you do like it, it's a major triumph. 

Did I just blow all your minds?

Personally, I think it's their most compelling and complete album since Avocado. But then again, I like it, so maybe my opinion is biased. 
  • Options
    BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    Top 8 Pearl Jam Albums and Bond Films since 2003

1) Skyfall
    2) Backspacer
    3) Casino Royale
    4) Gigaton
    5) Pearl Jam
    6) Lightning Bolt
    7) Quantum of Solace
    8) Spectre