Options

I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
Columbus-2000
Columbus-2003
Cincinnati-2006
Columbus-2010
Wrigley-2013
Cincinnati-2014
Lexington-2016
Wrigley 1 & 2-2018

Comments

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 897
    Keep playing it, it gets better
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    I feel sorry for you, friend.  It's a great album.  Don't give up on it. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,691
    KN219077 said:
    THIS. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 301
    I'll probably live.
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,306
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    It's so much better than LB
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I just can't help but feel like the boards, and the whole world really, needed this thread.
    🙄
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    e360727e360727 Posts: 74
    THIS.
     it's brilliant - incredibly deep/thoughtful.  Feel as if the boys worked their asses off and produced extraordinary work.  Seven O'clock is a personal favorite.  
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    KN219077 said:
    Yep - if you keep playing it, you'll find the secret gem hidden in each song (like in all PJ songs) and it'll unlock the whole song for you. It's like Binaural or No Code. It just takes some time...
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Might grow on you, might not. I’m indifferent to it right now. 
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,602
    Ok
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I just can't help but feel like the boards, and the whole world really, needed this thread.
    🙄
    Im sorry but is it not acceptable to voice our individual opinions here?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    e360727 said:
    THIS.
     it's brilliant - incredibly deep/thoughtful.  Feel as if the boys worked their asses off and produced extraordinary work.  Seven O'clock is a personal favorite.  
    Wow really?  I think Seven O’clock might be the worse song on the entire album. 

I must be missing something because it seems I’m in the minority on not liking this album. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    In my household I am the uber fan and my husband latched on to my PJ coattails like 5 years ago and totally immersed himself into the PJ universe.  I'm playing and talking about it non-stop and he is getting annoyed because he isn't feeling it.  Maybe it just isn't for everybody...should be interesting hearing it live maybe it could change some feels
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,306
    KC138045 said:
    e360727 said:
    THIS.
    Wow really?  I think Seven O’clock might be the worse song on the entire album. 

I must be missing something because it seems I’m in the minority on not liking this album. 
    Seven O'clock is the best song on it, absolutely love it! 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    It's ok to dislike it because to each their own, but this is absolutely not an Ed solo album.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    JimmyV said:
    It's ok to dislike it because to each their own, but this is absolutely not an Ed solo album.
    +1....I think Ed's vocals are actually lacking a bit on this.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    No, it’s not. I don’t even buy Ed solo albums...and I don’t go to his solo shows either. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    KC138045 said:
    Agree with you it’s too bad they keep doing this (last 3 albums so disappointing) I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did, beck we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that. After Backspacer and  bolt he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I’m not there yet but getting real close.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Agree with you it’s too bad they keep doing this (last 3 albums so disappointing) I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did, beck we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that. After Backspacer and  bolt he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I’m not there yet but getting real close.
    Sorry you feel this way. Gigaton is a thousand times better than lb and backspacer.  I hope you give it another listen. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Man I’m loving this album. Every listen gets better and better for me. 
  • Options
    MYMMYM Austin, TX Posts: 181
    To each his own.

I read something a while back about how Star Wars fans were responding to the new movies.
    Basically, the gist of the article was that the original movies were written to appeal to a 10 year old and that the ten year olds grew up and wanted something for them at their phase in life. But the new movies were still written for 10 year olds.

I think PJ is more the opposite. There's a part of many fans that wants something that sounds like Ten or Vs...... but the band is evolving...as is their music.

Sure, it's different. But I like it.

Can't wait to hear it live.

Fenway 1 - 8/5/16
    Fenway 2 - 8/7/16
    Seattle 1 - 8/8/18
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,119
    No need to be sorry.  Hopefully, everyone is going to have their own opinion on this one, just like the others, and not just grasp on to someone elses.  I personally love it, and have listened to this one more since Monday, than I have listened to Backspacer ever.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2020
    Everyone has their own rankings.  No issue with that.  Ive met people who think Avocado is #1.  I know people who dislike Ten.  

Definitely doesn't feel like an Ed solo album to me tho.  This one feels the most like a band studio experiment since Binaural.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    JF116983 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Please do us all a favor and leave.  
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    KC138045 said:
    No one cares
  • Options
    Jebus4uJebus4u Posts: 5
    PJWGIII said:
    KN219077 said:
    Yep - if you keep playing it, you'll find the secret gem hidden in each song (like in all PJ songs) and it'll unlock the whole song for you. It's like Binaural or No Code. It just takes some time...
    This album reminds me very much of No Code. I love it. Have to listen to it loud with good headphones. I think it might be one of my favourite albums. I’m imagining these songs live dancing in the pit and then quite moments with Eddie on the acoustic guitar. It’s going to be amazing.🤘
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    Firstly, you need to add ‘IMO’ to your thread title. People don’t take kindly to opinions being stated as facts round here.

Secondly... you’re very, very wrong!  =)

IMO, of course 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    I have only listened to it twice since I opened it.  Just can’t get myself to give it another whirl for a while.  Once I get the cd I’ll listen in the car and I’m sure it’ll grow more on me, but I’m not really blown away by it yet.  

Ed feels too far in front and there’s just too much of him to me.  Too many words or something, but maybe it’s because I listened while I read every word in the book and damn he just went fucking word crazy. 

I love the unique compositions and the music itself but something about it feels like an Ed controlled project to me, and I’ve been hoping for more of everyone else.  I just see Ed’s name in there too often perhaps, and I’ll always think of pj as a band, not Ed backed up by a band.  I can feel Ed manipulating everyone else- except for Jeff- the whole time.

anyway there’s a lot of weird shit in this one and it’s going to take me a lot more listens.  I’ll come around, but OP I totally get what you’re saying, you’re absolutely entitled to speak your mind on here, don’t let them get you down.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 235
    Music is subjective.  Respect your opinion.

personally, I love it. For me, it’s better than the last 4 albums (sorry RA fans).  there’s a chance I like it more than NC And Binaural, it needs to settle a bit. I doubt it will crack my top 4.

30 years in?  These guys still bring it 
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    I have only listened to it twice since I opened it.  Just can’t get myself to give it another whirl for a while.  Once I get the cd I’ll listen in the car and I’m sure it’ll grow more on me, but I’m not really blown away by it yet.  

Ed feels too far in front and there’s just too much of him to me.  Too many words or something, but maybe it’s because I listened while I read every word in the book and damn he just went fucking word crazy. 

I love the unique compositions and the music itself but something about it feels like an Ed controlled project to me, and I’ve been hoping for more of everyone else.  I just see Ed’s name in there too often perhaps, and I’ll always think of pj as a band, not Ed backed up by a band.  I can feel Ed manipulating everyone else- except for Jeff- the whole time.

anyway there’s a lot of weird shit in this one and it’s going to take me a lot more listens.  I’ll come around, but OP I totally get what you’re saying, you’re absolutely entitled to speak your mind on here, don’t let them get you down.
    Ed’s songs I usually like the least. Where the hell is Stone? That guy is a fantastic song writer.