Options

I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:
    I have only listened to it twice since I opened it.  Just can’t get myself to give it another whirl for a while.  Once I get the cd I’ll listen in the car and I’m sure it’ll grow more on me, but I’m not really blown away by it yet.  

Ed feels too far in front and there’s just too much of him to me.  Too many words or something, but maybe it’s because I listened while I read every word in the book and damn he just went fucking word crazy. 

I love the unique compositions and the music itself but something about it feels like an Ed controlled project to me, and I’ve been hoping for more of everyone else.  I just see Ed’s name in there too often perhaps, and I’ll always think of pj as a band, not Ed backed up by a band.  I can feel Ed manipulating everyone else- except for Jeff- the whole time.

anyway there’s a lot of weird shit in this one and it’s going to take me a lot more listens.  I’ll come around, but OP I totally get what you’re saying, you’re absolutely entitled to speak your mind on here, don’t let them get you down.
    Ed’s songs I usually like the least. Where the hell is Stone? That guy is a fantastic song writer. 
    Stone's contribution, Buckle Up. FFS. worst song ever
    Yeah he's in a drought, let The Records Play and now Buckle Up, yikes.

Can we pretend Bayleaf is a PJ song?
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Whywhyzed said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:
    I have only listened to it twice since I opened it.  Just can’t get myself to give it another whirl for a while.  Once I get the cd I’ll listen in the car and I’m sure it’ll grow more on me, but I’m not really blown away by it yet.  

Ed feels too far in front and there’s just too much of him to me.  Too many words or something, but maybe it’s because I listened while I read every word in the book and damn he just went fucking word crazy. 

I love the unique compositions and the music itself but something about it feels like an Ed controlled project to me, and I’ve been hoping for more of everyone else.  I just see Ed’s name in there too often perhaps, and I’ll always think of pj as a band, not Ed backed up by a band.  I can feel Ed manipulating everyone else- except for Jeff- the whole time.

anyway there’s a lot of weird shit in this one and it’s going to take me a lot more listens.  I’ll come around, but OP I totally get what you’re saying, you’re absolutely entitled to speak your mind on here, don’t let them get you down.
    Ed’s songs I usually like the least. Where the hell is Stone? That guy is a fantastic song writer. 

Odd one out again - I thought Let the Records Play was an enjoyable tune. Satisfying blues guitar part and the structure had a nice cadence to it.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    rgambs said:
    OP just needs to crank it to 9 through his PA and a pair of Marshalls, drink a beer, and work in the garden on a beautiful spring day.  
    Duh!
    Why the fuck are people so dense?
    Take away the last 3 tracks and you have a deal. Never Destination and Take The Long Way are growing on me a bit but I still stand by my original post. 

Side note:  I see Buckle Up being a first encore staple on tour whenever that happens
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Eilian said:
    Whywhyzed said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

Odd one out again - I thought Let the Records Play was an enjoyable tune. Satisfying blues guitar part and the structure had a nice cadence to it.
    And "vaporize a green light grin" is a sweet little lyric!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    OP just needs to crank it to 9 through his PA and a pair of Marshalls, drink a beer, and work in the garden on a beautiful spring day.  
    Duh!
    Why the fuck are people so dense?
    Take away the last 3 tracks and you have a deal. Never Destination and Take The Long Way are growing on me a bit but I still stand by my original post. 

Side note:  I see Buckle Up being a first encore staple on tour whenever that happens
    Maybe the last 3 will grow on you or seeing them live may change it, who knows. Still have it ranked at the bottom? 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    The OP should clean their ears out..., in my opinion 
  • Options
    CS160564CS160564 Posts: 34
    We are all on this board because we love this band and because we dig what they do.
    They constantly challenge us and we all have to find our way to engage with it.  
    Sometimes it’s an album we just don’t gel with as much as others.  The fact that we love this band and that we all get that and respect others position needs to be remembered.  
    I personally have found that seeing them live has lifted certain songs to become really special for me; whereas I hadn’t given a shit about them before.  (Experiencing ‘Insignificant’ at Wembley in 2000 a case in point).  
    I’m hoping that the ones that don’t chime with me now will grow on me, but you know what I’m not going to force it, it’s quite an organic thing for me now.
    I just can’t help thinking that we are all isolated and have this moment to share this piece of Art together is.great timing!
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    This record gets better and better with every listen. It's unreal. The first 3 or 4 times I listened, I was unsure. Now I love it. I'll save rankings for down the road. But great jobs by the guys for sure!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
    Everyone is entitled to his or her own experience of the album, and there is no "right" or "wrong" opinion about it-- it's totally subjective.  Having said that, what I don't really understand is writing off the album two days after its release if you are someone who has generally enjoyed the band's work over the last 30 years.  Why wouldn't you keep the jury out for a bit and keep listening to see if you might start to have a more positive experience?

Many years ago, a guy I worked with asked me if I wanted to buy Coldplay's second album from him.  The thing is, he asked me this on the day of the album's release.  He said that he absolutely loved their first album but that he just couldn't get into the then-new album.  I found this so bizarre.  How many times could he possibly have listened to it to have formed such an ironclad opinion before giving up on it?  (I'm not exaggerating; it was literally on the day the second album came out.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    BF25394 said:
    Everyone is entitled to his or her own experience of the album, and there is no "right" or "wrong" opinion about it-- it's totally subjective.  Having said that, what I don't really understand is writing off the album two days after its release if you are someone who has generally enjoyed the band's work over the last 30 years.  Why wouldn't you keep the jury out for a bit and keep listening to see if you might start to have a more positive experience?

Many years ago, a guy I worked with asked me if I wanted to buy Coldplay's second album from him.  The thing is, he asked me this on the day of the album's release.  He said that he absolutely loved their first album but that he just couldn't get into the then-new album.  I found this so bizarre.  How many times could he possibly have listened to it to have formed such an ironclad opinion before giving up on it?  (I'm not exaggerating; it was literally on the day the second album came out.)
    Weird. That second record was great!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
    I thought so, too.  And I got it at a discount thanks to that former co-worker.  I never asked him whether he ended up buying another copy later.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    E-G-A-GE-G-A-G Posts: 228
    Eilian said:
    Whywhyzed said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

I'm with you... i loved stone playing the blues on that song plus they usually couple that song with STBC.
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 749
    JF116983 said:
    Do me a favor and show me a bad review from classic albums such as.....One By One, All that you cant leave behind, etc
    One By One as in the piece of shit Foo Fighters album One By One that even the band hates?   LOL 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,793
    JF116983 said:
    Do me a favor and show me a bad review from classic albums such as.....One By One, All that you cant leave behind, etc
    One By One as in the piece of shit Foo Fighters album One By One that even the band hates?   LOL 
    😂
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    trust me when i say this: this was my EXACT review the first time i heard it. then i listened....and listened....and listened. i finally caught up to it. i fucking love it now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,736
    Eilian said:
    PJammin' said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

Your opinion. Stone is a fantastic song writer. 
    Jesus Christ - can we agree to put the "That's just your opinion" response in the bin? 

It goes without saying. 
    No. If things get to you, log off. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Whywhyzed said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

He also co-wrote Pendulum and Infallible. No drought. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

Really? I quite like Buckle Up!  It is nice and melodic, has a "dream" like quality to it due to the nature of the open suspended nature of a lot of Stones open chords
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    edited March 2020
    I've read such a post about literally every album since about Vitalogy probably. It's like every Pearl Jam album ever in that the longer you sit with it, the more you like about it, the more it becomes a part of your every day soundtrack, the more familiar and lived-in it feels. 

And if you don't want to put in that effort, that's fine too. Life is busy, I get it. But to me there's never been a PJ album I've completely gotten on one or two listens. That's sort of what I like about them. The albums are like living organisms that seem to grow the more time you spend with them.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I've read such a post about literally every album since about Vitalogy probably. It's like every Pearl Jam album ever in that the longer you sit with it, the more you like about it, the more it becomes a part of your every day soundtrack, the more familiar and lived-in it feels. 

And if you don't want to put in that effort, that's fine too. Life is busy, I get it. But to me there's never been a PJ album I've completely gotten on one or two listens. That's sort of what I like about them. The albums are like living organisms that seem to grow the more time you spend with them.
    Well said. 
  • Options
    PJammin' said:
    Eilian said:
    PJammin' said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

Your opinion. Stone is a fantastic song writer. 
    Jesus Christ - can we agree to put the "That's just your opinion" response in the bin? 

It goes without saying. 
    No. If things get to you, log off. 
    You’re aware of the irony of this comment, surely?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    Eilian said:
    Whywhyzed said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Whywhyzed said:
    LukinAtU said:
    PJammin' said:

Haha - the betrayal!
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I was so excited to hear who ever said but with very few exceptions, it went downhill from there
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    But like most people with 2 good ears this record went uphill after listening to it 2x. Great record. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    But like most people with 2 good ears this record went uphill after listening to it 2x. Great record. 
    So defensive.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    I'll let you know after my 2nd listen if that's true or not...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Let The Records play was probably my favorite piece of music on Lightning Bolt. 
    Ed fucked it up by singing the chorus to the tune of "Jeepers Creepers." That's not Stone's fault.

I don't hate Buckle Up. It's fine. It's probably my least favorite song on the album at this point, but I still listen to it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do