Options

I’m Sorry But Gigaton Is A Major Dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    I will say this....

When I listened to it digitally I was disappointed.  I liked some songs, felt some were quite shitty but all in all thought the start of the album was strong and it faded about halfway through.

I got my 10c vinyl in the mail today, I listened with headphones on while working from home (yeah social distancing, happy to have a job) and I have to say my opinion is way different!  I really dig this album.

I am a vinyl nerd, and I do feel the sound quality is better as well as the listening experience, but I feel like it's a different album listening this way.

So long story short, I will forever be a VS junkie, but I put this album well above LB and Backspacer, probably Avacado as well, maybe Binaural as I listen more.

Fuck it I will rank them while I'm at it:

Vs
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Vitalogy
    Ten
    Yield
    Binaural
    Gigaton
    Avacado
    LB
    Backspacer
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    KC138045 said:
    I was very excited to to crank this new album on my way home from work yesterday. It started out great with Who Ever Said and I was loving it up thorough Quick Escape then it quickly went downhill. I kept waiting for the next song to bring it back but that didn’t happen.  Ive listened to it now multiple times trying to like it but I just don’t. I personally put this as their worse album and it sounds more of an Ed solo album than a full band effort in my opinion. 
    you spelled disappointment wrong
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    People liking The Fixer though, they are an exception. Sacrifice them to thin the herd.
    The Fixer : SBWF :: Tomatoes : Ketchup
    I can't decipher that.
    The Fixer : SBWF :: Julmust : Coca-Cola
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,930
    on2legs said:
    People liking The Fixer though, they are an exception. Sacrifice them to thin the herd.
    I can't decipher that.
    SBWF : pecorino Romano: sweet baby ray’s bbq sauce : the fixer
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,148
    on2legs said:
    I can't decipher that.
    Hmm. Should be the other way around... I think
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,292

1- Saw Title of thread

2-Knew better than to read through all 12 pages

3_Good for you for having your opinion

4-My opinion is different

5-PJ has a diverse fan base, and that is awesome!

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    on2legs said:
    I can't decipher that.
    I was just trying to work in a Julmust reference. Either that or go with Glogg. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    I hate everyone 
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    I do too.
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    I think it’s perfect, the sound/mix is incredible. The songs are great. The vinyl packaging is cool as shit.  
    5 guys rockin n rollin, it’s fuckin beautiful. First time through it’s tough to hear the songs on there own, but it’s our Pearl Jam jamming 

i fucking love it and the more I listen with the volume full. It’s gonna feel better n better. 

It will be a classic record before we know it. Time keeps on tickin
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    mr bungle said:

1- Saw Title of thread

2-Knew better than to read through all 12 pages

3_Good for you for having your opinion

4-My opinion is different

5-PJ has a diverse fan base, and that is awesome!

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    To the OP... why are you “sorry”?
    The album disappointed you. Don’t buy it. Don’t go to shows. Give away all your PJ merch. Buy a billboard in your hometown to call them out. Become a Post Malone fan. Blame Carol Baskin. 
    That bitch Carol Baskin!!!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    This thread has hung around a lot longer than I thought it would. I’m honestly glad that so many people are enjoying this album. Im
    still listening to it daily and other than a couple songs that are growing on me a bit my initial opinion hasn’t changed much. I’m still a fan, still wear the many t-shirts I own, still have the posters on my living room wall, and hope to see them live again here very soon. Maybe hearing some of these songs live will
    change my opinion of them.  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    KC138045 said:
    This thread has hung around a lot longer than I thought it would. I’m honestly glad that so many people are enjoying this album. Im
    still listening to it daily and other than a couple songs that are growing on me a bit my initial opinion hasn’t changed much. I’m still a fan, still wear the many t-shirts I own, still have the posters on my living room wall, and hope to see them live again here very soon. Maybe hearing some of these songs live will
    change my opinion of them.  

I can’t wait! We just have the stickerfigures 
    they rock
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    I'm not taken by it much at all, but so what?  I still love the band for who they are, what they've done, how they think, and how great they are live.  And the fans are pretty cool.  Well, most of you.  Ah, what the hell, all of you.  You like Pearl Jam?  You're cool!  :smile: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,949
    The "it's an Ed solo album" stuff blows my mind. I don't know what some people are hearing.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747
    JimmyV said:
    The "it's an Ed solo album" stuff blows my mind. I don't know what some people are hearing.
    I can see people thinking the final four songs have that “vibe” (even though Stone wrote Buckle Up and Mike wrote the music to Retrograde). But how anyone can get that vibe from the first four songs is beyond me. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    How many songs did Ed write out of the 12?

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,849
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:

He wrote the music to 7 songs with two of those being a team effort and the lyrics to 9. The only songs to my ears that can be on a solo EV album are Comes Then Goes and River Cross and maybe the end of Retrograde. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,092
    JimmyV said:
    I don’t get this at all either. Comes then Goes is the only one that has an Ed solo feel to me. The rest seems very collaborative 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:

He wrote the music to 7 songs with two of those being a team effort and the lyrics to 9. The only songs to my ears that can be on a solo EV album are Comes Then Goes and River Cross and maybe the end of Retrograde. 
    Thanks for the info.  Mike and Stone need to up their writing game!!!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    JimmyV said:
    I don’t get this at all either. Comes then Goes is the only one that has an Ed solo feel to me. The rest seems very collaborative 
    Agreed.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Definitely some great moments on the album but I can also find parts of each song I do not like. Either the music gets boring. Or too many ohhhs, and la la la's.  A few moments where I feel like I'm listening to some top 40 rock pop band like the killers.

I'm sure some songs will grow on my like amongst the waves and lightening bolt (the song) did but overall don't love it.  I think they could have made a better album if they just threw something together in 2 weeks.  I mean the guys can play and Ed can still sing but tried too hard to make a unique album.  Props to them for that but doesn't do it for me.

Maybe it's money. Or age.  Seems to happen with most bands. Once $$$ rolls in it's hard to keep that rawness and edge which is why fans loved you to begin with. 

3 albums in a row that I've been less than impress with but I'll still go to the odd show.  They always sound better live. Even the songs that do nothing for me on album.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Well Comes then Goes is Eddie solo.
  • Options
    Red Lukin said:
    Definitely some great moments on the album but I can also find parts of each song I do not like. Either the music gets boring. Or too many ohhhs, and la la la's.  A few moments where I feel like I'm listening to some top 40 rock pop band like the killers.

I'm sure some songs will grow on my like amongst the waves and lightening bolt (the song) did but overall don't love it.  I think they could have made a better album if they just threw something together in 2 weeks.  I mean the guys can play and Ed can still sing but tried too hard to make a unique album.  Props to them for that but doesn't do it for me.

Maybe it's money. Or age.  Seems to happen with most bands. Once $$$ rolls in it's hard to keep that rawness and edge which is why fans loved you to begin with. 

3 albums in a row that I've been less than impress with but I'll still go to the odd show.  They always sound better live. Even the songs that do nothing for me on album.
    I’m liking Gigaton more and more as I listen, after not liking the last two albums all that much. Definitely understand what you mean about sounding like “a top 40 rock band” which to me started with Backspacer, but there’s def a lot less of that here than on that last two albums and I think a big part of that is the absence of BoB.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,464
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:

Thanks for the info.  Mike and Stone need to up their writing game!!!
    Yeah Stone must have been on a European Vacation or something when they were making the album and then the band called him and asked him for some material and he said: " Well I do have have this little diddy called Buckle Up?".  ;)

• Options
    Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 154
    JimmyV said:
    River Cross, Comes then Goes, Retrograde. Might as well be b-sides on Into The Wild. AND THAT IS NOT A BAD THING.
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,251
    I respect the OP for posting his opinion and think calling him a troll is dumb. After taking a couple days away I am loving this record way more. Songs like never destination and buckle up are suddenly great. Loving it. We’ll give river cross some more time. It’s a cool song but stretched out a bit for me still. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,949
    Habit4me said:
    JimmyV said:
    River Cross, Comes then Goes, Retrograde. Might as well be b-sides on Into The Wild. AND THAT IS NOT A BAD THING.

Even that though. Three songs off the whole album, one of which Ed didn't write. It's weird.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    on2legs said:
    I can't decipher that.
    Yes