Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Wondering how things are in your area? I am in OC CA and getting any meats, eggs, dairy, dried staples such as rice, beans, cereals is getting very challenging with many empty store shelves not to mention getting water and paper towels/toilet paper and any sanitizing/cleaning products.

I know news sites say things are not running out but it’s getting hard to believe them given the state of stores. I am starting to fear the worst given this has been going on for almost 3 full weeks.

Please put your area/state and post a little bit about the situation.

Comments

• Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    Miami, Fl.
    Here things are about exactly the same. Grocery stores are continuously re stocking items, but immediately after doing so you get the rush of people getting ready to storm in and raid all the re stocked items in large amounts. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    JF116983 said:
    Wondering how things are in your area? I am in OC CA and getting any meats, eggs, dairy, dried staples such as rice, beans, cereals is getting very challenging with many empty store shelves not to mention getting water and paper towels/toilet paper and any sanitizing/cleaning products.

I know news sites say things are not running out but it’s getting hard to believe them given the state of stores. I am starting to fear the worst given this has been going on for almost 3 full weeks.

Please put your area/state and post a little bit about the situation.
    San Diego...I can get everything except TP (which I don't need) and the stupid cleaning supplies that people seem to think they need to hoard. It is all about timing. DOn't go at lunch time, don't wait in lines at opening...go about 9:30-10am
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    They should give out tickets for essential items

like here’s your ticket .... come back such n such day for tp and other essentials

here on Long Island haven’t seen tp, other items for ten days 

I’m ok for a little while, but their needs to be better organization... I feel bad for the elderly
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Fresno, CA. The same way here. We just announced a city wide shutdown with only essential services allowed out for a week minimum. All our gyms and non essential services have been shutting down and are closed till April 1. Crazy crazy times. Hope all are safe and things recover quickly. Stay strong. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited March 2020
    South.....one thing i saw on the news here is that Walmart and Whole Foods have special elderly shopping hours here a few days a week.  So thats cool.  

Can’t find almond milk for my wife or Lactaid for my kid....anywhere.   Luckily we shopped like crazy three days before it hit the fan nationwide. so we’re good for actual food. 

Took this pic yesterday at Neighborhood Walmart.  Was there right when they opened at 6am.  This is AFTER restocking all night lol.  Look at the disrespect for the Captain!  .   

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • edoconedocon Posts: 300
    In San Diego the stores are setting aside a few hours a day for elderly only to shop. My local Costco has bottled water but no TP.
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    edited March 2020
    Yeah I feel bad for the truly vulnerable Elderly, people living of food stamps, welfare etc that have to wait for a specific day to purchase goods. Seems things run out instantly I have seen Warehouse Clubs with empty bread racks, entire aisles of frozen meats/veggies gone, no cleaning/Tp etc

wish things were ticket based or some other orderly way as well

Post edited by JF116983 on

This is Sams Club no bread
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    I’m in NYC. My neighborhood Whole Foods was running out of things. When I went a few days ago there was no chicken or ground turkey at all. Eggs were sparse, and certainly no paper products. There was a lot of fresh produce, but low on frozen foods. However, when I went to my small neighborhood grocery store they had everything I needed except for TP, disinfectant wipes, and the brand of canned tuna I like. I live alone so hopefully my 6 rolls of TP will last a while 🤔
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    I don't get all the f'n crazies buying all the TP. It's a respiratory virus not a gi virus.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • South.....one thing i saw on the news here is that Walmart and Whole Foods have special elderly shopping hours here a few days a week.  So thats cool.  

Can’t find almond milk for my wife or Lactaid for my kid....anywhere.   Luckily we shopped like crazy three days before it hit the fan nationwide. so we’re good for actual food. 

Took this pic yesterday at Neighborhood Walmart.  Was there right when they opened at 6am.  This is AFTER restocking all night lol.  Look at the disrespect for the Captain!  .   

Really want some Cap'n Crunch Berries now. Haven't had that shit in 15 years.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edocon said:
    In San Diego the stores are setting aside a few hours a day for elderly only to shop. My local Costco has bottled water but no TP.
    Some stores are doing the same here in West Hollywood.

Eggs, water, bread and canned goods seem to be pretty popular.  I believe many places are setting quantity limits too.

It seems some don't realize that shelves will be restocked sooner rather than later, hence the hoarding mentality.

cp3, I laughed at your Cap'n remark!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited March 2020
    hedonist said:
    edocon said:
    Some stores are doing the same here in West Hollywood.

Eggs, water, bread and canned goods seem to be pretty popular.  I believe many places are setting quantity limits too.

It seems some don't realize that shelves will be restocked sooner rather than later, hence the hoarding mentality.

cp3, I laughed at your Cap'n remark!
    I think part of the hoarding is to avoid having to go back to the store multiple times and risk exposure after the virus has spread a lot more.  That is why I have three weeks at least worth of food.  Three rolls of TP though.  I think I will be fine though.   

I cannot find a thermometer though which sucks.  Hopefully won’t need one.  
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    I hope the TP hoarders are forced to eat that aforementioned TB.  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    South.....one thing i saw on the news here is that Walmart and Whole Foods have special elderly shopping hours here a few days a week.  So thats cool.  

Really want some Cap'n Crunch Berries now. Haven't had that shit in 15 years.
    I nearly bought some out of pity lol
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Pretty much the same as others have posted here in South Miami. Stores are limiting some items to 2 per person, which makes sense to avoid the hoarding but it does mean that I have to go out to the store more frequently. Which is what we’re told not to do. Somewhat of a catch-22. 

If you’re creative sometimes you can find what you need. Yesterday I needed some chicken thighs and all the grocery stores were cleaned out. I went to one of the obscure Latin butchers here and got 5 lbs, no problem at all. They had tons. 
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Empty here in North Georgia. Extremely limited supply of everything. Our butcher is getting daily deliveries, so thankfully we have that. Hopefully a lot of you have that option as well.

So far if you’re vegan or vegetarian you’re in luck..the plant based burgers arent selling.  

also no one wanted to spend the extra $3 on Bison.  So we’re having bison burgers tonight and my wife is having plant based ones. :joy:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yeah, I saw an article a few days ago showing that people were leaving Dasani water until there was no other option...and it showed the Vegan section packed with food and all shelves around empty.
    In South Jersey (suburban Philly) here and haven't been the market in about a week.  Have lots of freezer food and dry food, we look good for a while.  Not sure what it looks like this week.  I know Instacart has a 3 day lead time on deliveries so shit must be kinda crazy.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Cleveland Ohio - many stores have limits on the number of essential items each customer can purchase. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc are no where to be found. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Right now it's just hard to find TP, hand sanitizer and other disinfectants in Milwaukee.  They are trying to limit how much each shopper can buy, but I haven't seen anything on the shelf of those items since Sunday (3/15).
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

These hoarders are gonna gain 40 lbs eating through their "emergency" food stores before this virus passes!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Here in Victoria, BC, food is still fairly easy to find.   A little more challenging finding some stuff like flour, yeast, pasta, canned goods, but if you go to a few places you'll find it.

TP, lysol wipes, and cleaning products.  Almost impossible to find.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Southern NH right on the board with Mass. Typical bare shelves but they are opening stores early for the elderly only to get stuff.

I find that I if I drive a little further out things are calmer , still hard to find but can find stuff.

Local butcher shops had chicken so that was good.

I was at a target and they put out some hand sanitizer and this lady just ran up to take them all and got pissed that they have a limit of two.

I see a lot of good stuff happening but shit like the above is maddening for me to see.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Matts3221 said:

Southern NH right on the board with Mass. Typical bare shelves but they are opening stores early for the elderly only to get stuff.

I find that I if I drive a little further out things are calmer , still hard to find but can find stuff.

Local butcher shops had chicken so that was good.

I was at a target and they put out some hand sanitizer and this lady just ran up to take them all and got pissed that they have a limit of two.

I see a lot of good stuff happening but shit like the above is maddening for me to see.

The hand sanitizer makes even less sense to me than the TP shortage.  At least if you buy 5 things of TP you will use it.
    What is it about soap and water that the hand sanitizer folks dislike so much? 
    There is a time and a place where soap and water is not available, sure, but when you are staying at home when exactly would that be?
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    At home, we're not trying to stock up on sanitizer or wipes.  We have plenty of hand soap and surface cleaner, plus if you're not leaving the apartment then you probably don't need to wipe down surfaces as frequently.  At work, different story.  I'm trying to make sure there is plenty of sanitizer and wipes, just because not every room has a sink to wash your hands in.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    Imagine if it was a diarrhea virus! You probably have everyone buying nasal spray then! Just stupid 
    At home, we're not trying to stock up on sanitizer or wipes.  We have plenty of hand soap and surface cleaner, plus if you're not leaving the apartment then you probably don't need to wipe down surfaces as frequently.  At work, different story.  I'm trying to make sure there is plenty of sanitizer and wipes, just because not every room has a sink to wash your hands in.

That makes sense.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Peyton18 said:
    Imagine if it was a diarrhea virus! You probably have everyone buying nasal spray then! Just stupid 
    I'm sorry for laughing at diarrhea virus.

OK, I'm not =)