Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Same here in central Michigan. Lots of things in short supply like TP and disinfectant. Hard to find meat and butter. Any kind of handgun ammo is gone, same with 223 Rem.

We had a freezer go down and finding a replacement was a challenge. It looks like people have panic bought freezers to store their panic bought food.

I still have hope that we can make it through all of this. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I am going to ask a question and that so as to avoid derailing the OP thread or getting it locked, I invite (sincerely curious and not baiting) why people are out looking for ammo like they are toilet paper. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Went to the Asian market this morning. They're fully stocked.  That's ALL ramen. But it always looks like that. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    I would have so much fun in their ramen section. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    I am going to ask a question and that so as to avoid derailing the OP thread or getting it locked, I invite (sincerely curious and not baiting) why people are out looking for ammo like they are toilet paper. 
    That's a great question and I have no answer. Some people appear to be taking this pandemic as an apocalyptic zombie scenario in their preparations. 

It has me more worried about the other humans than the virus. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    dudeman said:
    deadendp said:
    That's a great question and I have no answer. Some people appear to be taking this pandemic as an apocalyptic zombie scenario in their preparations. 

Again, people are more than welcome to answer my question via PM. I am not going to tell you that you are wrong for doing the preparations you feel you need to, but I really am genuinely curious. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    dudeman said:
    deadendp said:

Again, people are more than welcome to answer my question via PM. I am not going to tell you that you are wrong for doing the preparations you feel you need to, but I really am genuinely curious. 
    I am not one of those people who are out looking for ammo. I just know what I know by talking to people on the phone or online. We have been staying away from people and places. 

Didn't see mention of PM in your original post. Sorry if I derailed.

Stay safe people!
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    deadendp said:
    Guns are fairly useless without ammo. I can clean my ass with any number of things.
    #FHP
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Horos said:
    deadendp said:
    Guns are fairly useless without ammo. I can clean my ass with any number of things.
    Including a gun!  
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Poncier said:
    Horos said:
    deadendp said:
    Including a gun!  
     =) 
    #FHP
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    deadendp said:
    dudeman said:
    deadendp said:

I am not one of those people who are out looking for ammo. I just know what I know by talking to people on the phone or online. We have been staying away from people and places. 

Didn't see mention of PM in your original post. Sorry if I derailed.

Stay safe people!
    Sorry. You are good. Just didn't want to hijack the threat with a potentially unrelated hot button topic. 

We are also not looking for ammo. My husband would feel better if we had a back-up can of Lysol though. :wink:
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    I saw on my local news (Canada) that ammunition was set for a large price increase regardless, so people are buying it at the lower prices.
    Maybe just a strange coincidence, but probably some people buying out of the fear of the unknown also
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If food gets scarce ammo will be helpful in securing protein. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I have a (formerly) well-suppressed prepper living deep in my heart and this business is weakening the bars of his cell lol
    The truth is, without deferral on a wide range of loans, we are dead broke and making hard decisions by early summer.  I hate to think things will get so ugly, but if grocery store shelves run empty, or we simply can't afford food and gas/electricity...well I will be out in the woods scrounging up dinner. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    rgambs said:
    I have a (formerly) well-suppressed prepper living deep in my heart and this business is weakening the bars of his cell lol
    The truth is, without deferral on a wide range of loans, we are dead broke and making hard decisions by early summer.  I hate to think things will get so ugly, but if grocery store shelves run empty, or we simply can't afford food and gas/electricity...well I will be out in the woods scrounging up dinner. 
    is that prepper or just hillbilly?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    is that prepper or just hillbilly?
    Check back in mid May.  Just might be genius!  Hope not.
    You know what would happen in this country if the trucks quit running...
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804

I guess this as good a place as any to post this....

DONT WORRY ABOUT YOUR BILLS!!!

You wont be evicted

You wont be filing bankruptcy, fuck visa, and mastercard. EVERTHING IS ON HOLD! You will have gas, electrical, water. etc. Visa and Mastercard will be there in 3-6 months. Remember one thing, you are not the only one who cant afford to pay your bills. THERE ARE 100 million in the same sad situation.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

You wont be evicted

You wont be filing bankruptcy, fuck visa, and mastercard. EVERTHING IS ON HOLD! You will have gas, electrical, water. etc. Visa and Mastercard will be there in 3-6 months. Remember one thing, you are not the only one who cant afford to pay your bills. THERE ARE 100 million in the same sad situation.

You are wise to remind. Banks and utilities are giving forgiveness. You just need to phone them to discuss it. 
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    deadendp said:

You wont be evicted

You are wise to remind. Banks and utilities are giving forgiveness. You just need to phone them to discuss it. 

My wife about 7 days ago? "OH MY GOD, what about our bills, blah, blah, blah...

Now she has joined me in NOT GIVING A FUCK about our bills. We are in our mid 50's, we are home owners, we have paid our bills on time for 30 years. But im sorry to say, I DONT GIVE A FUCK as of last week. Visa and Mastercard understand this. All utilities understand, the mortgage lenders understand. Again, there are 100 million people in the same sad situation. EVERYTHING IS ON HOLD. AS IT SHOULD BE.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    In Ohio, utility companies have been restoring service to those who lost it for lack of payment. Believe me, all of these companies would rather work with people. As you said, so many are in the same boat. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    deadendp said:

You wont be evicted

My wife about 7 days ago? "OH MY GOD, what about our bills, blah, blah, blah...

Now she has joined me in NOT GIVING A FUCK about our bills. We are in our mid 50's, we are home owners, we have paid our bills on time for 30 years. But im sorry to say, I DONT GIVE A FUCK as of last week. Visa and Mastercard understand this. All utilities understand, the mortgage lenders understand. Again, there are 100 million people in the same sad situation. EVERYTHING IS ON HOLD. AS IT SHOULD BE.

Yup, I agree.
    Good to see you on here, man!

Store shelves are empty here in KC. No TP, cleaner, kleenex, paper towels, butcher meat, cheese, pasta....It's a tad unnverving.

The mayor announced the lockdown for KC earlier today. It starts at midnight on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Our governor hasn't said or done much, so the mayors are stepping in.

What a shitshow.

I'm worried about my Mom. She lives about 40 miles away and I'm trying to convince her to come & stay with us.

Be well, everyone.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Today I went to my regular large grocery store- out of some staples still, like flour, white sugar and dried pasta, though we have tp back in stock and tons of produce. 

Then went to a small, local market chain (four stores, all in our city) and they had everything I needed, food-wise. No problem getting flour, sugar, pasta, sauces, etc. I am now stocked and fine, and waiting for what’s next. 

Stay safe, everyone. Wash your hands. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    went this morning, still cannot find many items like toilet paper.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    and all the shoppers are looking at everyone with paranoid, fearful, suspicious eyes and darting away from each other.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    The best reason I've heard of why people hoard toilet paper (and such) is that it gives them a semblance of control.
    A friend went to walmart early morning and picked us up some.
    Thank you.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    The best reason I've heard of why people hoard toilet paper (and such) is that it gives them a semblance of control.
    Thank you.
    It makes sense, in a fat, lazy, moronic American way lol
    What people should be doing to feel a measure of control is planning for gardens and investing in things more permanent than paper to wipe your ass with.
    I'm stocking up on canning supplies, durable hand tools, and skills, but that's nothing new for me.

If food starts getting sparse, people will be wishing they had tomato plants instead of toilet paper.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Malroth said:
    Thank you.
    What people should be doing to feel a measure of control is planning for gardens and investing in things more permanent than paper to wipe your ass with.
    I'm stocking up on canning supplies, durable hand tools, and skills, but that's nothing new for me.

If food starts getting sparse, people will be wishing they had tomato plants instead of toilet paper.
    I'd rather wipe my ass with toilet paper than a tomato.  :wink:

In all seriousness, I understand what you are saying.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    Malroth said:
    Thank you.

We are going to plant at a friends house.  They have a big yard so we can use it.

Edit:  I believe they are called Victory gardens?
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Eggs are getting sparse in my area. Limit one dozen eggs per person.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Eggs are getting sparse in my area. Limit one dozen eggs per person.

Did hens stop laying or are they using them for testing vaccines?