Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    The FDCM segment of retail is going gangbusters right now.  Unfortunately the rest isn't....but at least one segment is healthy.
    Food
    Drug
    Convenience
    Mass (BJs, Costco, Wal Mart, Target, etc)

I talked to two people yesterday who described vastly different shopping experiences this week.  One was a nightmare - people coughing, being too close, acting like animals (standard market in SoCal) and the other with people very respectful , distanced, and the store well stocked (Mom's Market (specialty market) in South Jersey.

Such strange times.

Be safe out there
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Jason P said:
    I thought this might be an opportunity for people to try cooking and discover healthy better tasting food ... but the Hot Pocket factory showed true american grit.  As far as I can tell, food panic in my area is simmering down 
    I'm still cooking healthy.  Made orange marinated chicken tacos last night.  No cheese, just cilantro and onion.

Yummy.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:
    I thought this might be an opportunity for people to try cooking and discover healthy better tasting food ... but the Hot Pocket factory showed true american grit.  As far as I can tell, food panic in my area is simmering down 
    I used to love the old school Hot Pockets, before they made them “healthier” and fancied up the crust. 
    This pairing used to be my favorite.  For whatever reason the Tapatio and these burritos were amazing together.
    Beef  Bean Frozen Flour Burritos 8  El Monterey
    tapatio hot sauce
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:
    I used to love the old school Hot Pockets, before they made them “healthier” and fancied up the crust. 
    This pairing used to be my favorite.  For whatever reason the Tapatio and these burritos were amazing together.
    tapatio hot sauce
    Mmmm. Tapatio.  That is a gateway drug, right there.  I miss that being on the table at tons of places.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:
    tapatio hot sauce
    Mmmm. Tapatio.  That is a gateway drug, right there.  I miss that being on the table at tons of places.
    F Me In The Brain  Try this one.  It's made by the lead singer of The Offspring and is pretty damn good.  I only use this one now, such a great flavor to it.
    Amazoncom  Gringo Bandito Hot Sauce Green 5 Ounce Pack of 4
  • Options
    Will try it.  One of the guys in my fraternity was childhood friends with that dude.  Still hangs with him and he goes to concerts with him and stuff.  He styled his friends out, big time.  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If you want a decent shopping experience, you only need to avoid the big bargain mega stores.  They are sold out and packed and the independent stores a mile down the road are calm and stocked.  Yes, you will pay a little more, but shop savvy with ads and coupons and you will get the same, or better prices.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:
    tapatio hot sauce
    Those burritos are pretty dang good!
  • Options
    Will try it.  One of the guys in my fraternity was childhood friends with that dude.  Still hangs with him and he goes to concerts with him and stuff.  He styled his friends out, big time.  
    That is cool.  You out in SoCal??
  • Options
    No, I lived there for 20, originally moved from VT to LA to go to USC and stayed.
    Moved to South Jersey in 2012.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Last time I went to the supermarket was about a week ago and I actually swore out loud in there as I could not find anything I need to make the meals for dinner that I want. Twice I was short 2-3 simple ingredients to make the meals. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    No, I lived there for 20, originally moved from VT to LA to go to USC and stayed.
    Moved to South Jersey in 2012.
    OK thought so, threw me for a loop about SoCal.  I was out there from 93-96 then on and off w there and Seattle.

KROQ baby!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2020
    I just threw a big ass order at Instacart for Aldi.  Keeps my mom out of the store and keeps me out, too.  Looking forward to see how this works out.  I'm having them drop the groceries into bins I will have next to the side door.  I will separate and then deliver to my parents house what they ordered.  When delivered, it will have been three weeks since the last time I shopped.  We're still holding well, but I wanted a ham for Easter as well as some other things to stock up on.  My husband asked me just to order and not go to the store.  I can do that! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Hopefully your order is picked well.  Always a good idea to pick back up choices for everything as odds are what they tell you is in stock is not going to be correct for many items.  (As a consistent user of their services for the past few years this was always the case but likely to be more so now )

This is great.  You support the store, the shopper, and protect yourself and your parents.  Hopefully the shopper is keeping themselves safe.
  • Options
    Hopefully your order is picked well.  Always a good idea to pick back up choices for everything as odds are what they tell you is in stock is not going to be correct for many items.  (As a consistent user of their services for the past few years this was always the case but likely to be more so now )

This is great.  You support the store, the shopper, and protect yourself and your parents.  Hopefully the shopper is keeping themselves safe.
    I picked substitutes on everything I could. Any tips are appreciated! Anything else you cam think of, let me know! 

I appreciate that they give the shopper 100% of the tip. I appreciate them shopping for me! 
  • Options
    deadendp said:

I picked substitutes on everything I could. Any tips are appreciated! Anything else you cam think of, let me know! 

I appreciate that they give the shopper 100% of the tip. I appreciate them shopping for me! 
    Seems like this could be implemented on a large scale...this could be a great opportunity for employment without nearly the same infection risk.  
    All stores closed to public, employees pulling all orders, 24 hours a day... Much easier to control social distancing that way.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:

Seems like this could be implemented on a large scale...this could be a great opportunity for employment without nearly the same infection risk.  
    All stores closed to public, employees pulling all orders, 24 hours a day... Much easier to control social distancing that way.
    One of our local Giant Eagle stores has closed for a day or two to convert to curbside pick-up/delivery only. I thought that was the best idea!

I would have gotten Aldi as a curbside pick-up, but it isn't available in our area. Delivery only. 
  • Options
    I also just ordered stamps to have them delivered.  I don't use that many, but I'm down to one.  A sheet of 20 will probably take me to Christmas.  
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,431
    edited April 2020
    I went to  Shop Rite and Costco and neither had toilet paper. I'm not in dire need of TP...................yet. I was surprised that I was able to get pretty much what I needed. I was also surprised that I was able to go  in-and-out of Cotsco  because the line was long at check out when I walked in. I hit it lucky on the way out. But of course I forgot a couple of items. I hate shopping as it is>LOL

I did get a attitude from someone at the Shop Rite but I bit my lip and didn't reply back. I wanted to tell him you might want to be careful because you may give someone else that same attitude and they may not be so kind and deck your ass, or worse.  I got more patience in my old age>LOL
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    edited April 2020
    What is it with tortillas?  I can't find them anywhere.  This is hugely vexing for me.  I can't eat yeast and sourdough has high levels of tyramine which cause migraines so I can't eat that either so that leaves non-yeasted wraps for my bread and now there are none to be found.  Arg!  I'm also having a hard time finding eggs here and we live in a semi-rural area.  And this is only week 2 1/2 of sheltering at home.  Guess I'd better start looking at what parts of a pine tree are edible.  Shhheeeit!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Yeah we just tried Instacart for the first time.  She did a good job. Took Chlorox wipes to everything after we brought it in. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    What is it with tortillas?  I can't find them anywhere.  This is hugely vexing for me.  I can't eat yeast and sourdough has high levels of tyramine which cause migraines so I can't eat that either so that leaves non-yeasted wraps for my bread and now there are none to be found.  Arg!  I'm also having a hard time finding eggs here and we live in a semi-rural area.  And this is only week 2 1/2 of sheltering at home.  Guess I'd better start looking at what parts of a pine tree are edible.  Shhheeeit!
    Have you tried maybe Target if you cannot find them in traditional/specialty grocers? I found my husband's peanut butter at Target, so in a week or two, I will do a parking lot pick up there of a few odds and ends.

My husband has gluten allergies as well as digestive issues. His diet is fairly paired down and doesn't really vary. I have had to heavily stock for him because I can't always find what he needs when we aren't in the middle of a global pandemic. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Jason P said:
    I'm still cooking healthy.  Made orange marinated chicken tacos last night.  No cheese, just cilantro and onion.

Yummy.
    I'm still cooking healthy --  just eating way too much.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    cutz said:
    I went to  Shop Rite and Costco and neither had toilet paper. I'm not in dire need of TP...................yet. I was surprised that I was able to get pretty much what I needed. I was also surprised that I was able to go  in-and-out of Cotsco  because the line was long at check out when I walked in. I hit it lucky on the way out. But of course I forgot a couple of items. I hate shopping as it is>LOL

I did get a attitude from someone at the Shop Rite but I bit my lip and didn't reply back. I wanted to tell him you might want to be careful because you may give someone else that same attitude and they may not be so kind and deck your ass, or worse.  I got more patience in my old age>LOL
    I went hiking at a park today while maintaining social distancing. Two idiots TP'd one of the shelters!!! WTF? They used two perfectly good rolls of toilet paper.
  • Options
    cutz said:

I went hiking at a park today while maintaining social distancing. Two idiots TP'd one of the shelters!!! WTF? They used two perfectly good rolls of toilet paper.
    That's about as punk as you can get, or stupid.  I'm sure it made for a great "gram" vid though and got lots of Hearts...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
    scored an 8 pack of Bounty double roll pick a size paper towels and store brand napkins.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Local supermarkets have taken to limiting the number of shoppers so now you have to wait in line to enter the store.

#FHP
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
    Horos said:
    Local supermarkets have taken to limiting the number of shoppers so now you have to wait in line to enter the store.

will be coming here soon.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Horos said:

DeWine said that is Monday.  Mom told me it was coming.  She said that bored people were congregating in Walmart and hanging for hours.  (She watches the news.  I don't anymore.)  I'm sure that isn't the only store.  Still . . . get in, get what you need and get out.  It isn't time to play.  

They have talked about shutting parks down for the very same reason.  The park district my husband works for has a limited number of parks open and people had a fit.  For them, they have a very small staff who fell ill (not COVID, but influenza) half at the same time, causing an intense strain on maintenance staff with extra cleaning of bathrooms and whatnot.  

Did you see that Cleveland Metroparks have been closing down roads to give people more ample space to ride/walk while maintaining proper distance?  
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Horos said:

DeWine said that is Monday.  Mom told me it was coming.  She said that bored people were congregating in Walmart and hanging for hours.  (She watches the news.  I don't anymore.)  I'm sure that isn't the only store.  Still . . . get in, get what you need and get out.  It isn't time to play.  

They have talked about shutting parks down for the very same reason.  The park district my husband works for has a limited number of parks open and people had a fit.  For them, they have a very small staff who fell ill (not COVID, but influenza) half at the same time, causing an intense strain on maintenance staff with extra cleaning of bathrooms and whatnot.  

Did you see that Cleveland Metroparks have been closing down roads to give people more ample space to ride/walk while maintaining proper distance?  
    NYC has closed down streets too so people can walk freely.  They have closed down parks though because people still aren't taking this seriously.

I was in Harlem yesterday and for the most part people are adhering to the distancing but it's the select few that I saw that will ruin it for everyone else.

NYC closed parks because of the above reason.

I would imagine how hard it is for let's say 500 people living in an apartment building and wanting to get out but they need to do better.

Imagine when 20 people get stir crazy and want to take the elevator?