Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    rgambs said:
    Malroth said:
    The best reason I've heard of why people hoard toilet paper (and such) is that it gives them a semblance of control.
    A friend went to walmart early morning and picked us up some.
    Thank you.
    It makes sense, in a fat, lazy, moronic American way lol
    What people should be doing to feel a measure of control is planning for gardens and investing in things more permanent than paper to wipe your ass with.
    I'm stocking up on canning supplies, durable hand tools, and skills, but that's nothing new for me.

If food starts getting sparse, people will be wishing they had tomato plants instead of toilet paper.
    We are going to plant at a friends house.  They have a big yard so we can use it.

Edit:  I believe they are called Victory gardens?
    https://morningchores.com/victory-garden/
    Eggs are getting sparse in my area. Limit one dozen eggs per person.

Haven't been out since Thursday.  Don't plan on wondering out any time soon.  Sounds dumb, but have you tried the gas station? 

Did hens stop laying or are they using them for testing vaccines?
    I thought eggs were a basis to some vaccines.  That would be why my egg allergic sister cannot have the flu shot.  

Honestly, I think that they are low because of the hoard factor. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    Malroth said:
    The best reason I've heard of why people hoard toilet paper (and such) is that it gives them a semblance of control.
    A friend went to walmart early morning and picked us up some.
    Thank you.
    It makes sense, in a fat, lazy, moronic American way lol
    What people should be doing to feel a measure of control is planning for gardens and investing in things more permanent than paper to wipe your ass with.
    I'm stocking up on canning supplies, durable hand tools, and skills, but that's nothing new for me.

If food starts getting sparse, people will be wishing they had tomato plants instead of toilet paper.
    We are going to plant at a friends house.  They have a big yard so we can use it.

Edit:  I believe they are called Victory gardens?
    https://morningchores.com/victory-garden/

Haven't been out since Thursday.  Don't plan on wondering out any time soon.  Sounds dumb, but have you tried the gas station? 

Did hens stop laying or are they using them for testing vaccines?
    I thought eggs were a basis to some vaccines.  That would be why my egg allergic sister cannot have the flu shot.  

Honestly, I think that they are low because of the hoard factor. 
    Victory gardens!  Yayyyy!

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I just learned today that our governor has decided farmer's markets are *restaurants* and ordered them closed. This is bs and I plan to write my state legislators about it. Horrible idea. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    I just went to pick up a few things at our local grocery store outside philly. It wasn't too bad. Mainly went to get milk which they had lots of (must have just gotten an order that day). Paper aisle was pretty much empty.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    Went to Sams other day and found cleaning stuff and TP, but the shortage is real as they are selling types of products not seen before such as professional dish soap, prime meats, etc now being limited as well so this helped but Lysol wipes gone within 30min of store opening!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited March 2020
    Things aren't bad where I am. Obviously TP and hand sanitizer is hard to come by. If I needed any I would go out in the morning and would likely be able to snag a pack of TP, but I'm okay there, as I normally already have a couple months worth of that, since I live alone and always buy those mega roll packs that amount to 72 rolls or whatever. I have noticed bread shelves can be fairly bare on some stores, especially Walmart, but then if I go to another place there is stock, and there is a Cobb's bread near me that is reliably cranking out excellent bread. So generally no worries where I am, thankfully. I have 4 grocery stores within walking distance, so am very fortunate. Also, all of them are doing special times for seniors only, and the same for essential service workers.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2020
    Hit the store this morning at 7am.  Wasnt too packed.  Still wore my mask and gloves. Pretty well stocked up.  Loaded up on eggs, canned sockeye salmon, and almond milk!   (Plus a bunch of sweets no one needs to know about)

i’ve noticed that noone wants spend $1 extra for higher quality stuff unless its TP.  Thats all gone. 

Tuna, eggs, etc.  those were all there in the more expensive brands. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Our stores have returned back to somewhat normalcy.  Paper products and hand soap still at a premium, but plenty of food and less scary crowds.  
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My on-line grocery delivery place seems to be more amply stocked than a few days ago.  Oh good toilet paper, how I've missed ye.

Now let's hope it's not sold out in the meantime...
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    My on-line grocery delivery place seems to be more amply stocked than a few days ago.  Oh good toilet paper, how I've missed ye.

My people, however, are used to the bulk box from Sam's Club.  Now that we have things such as Angel Soft and Charmin, I believe there will be a revolt in our house when we go back to the 45 bulk pack box.  :lol:  
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:

My people, however, are used to the bulk box from Sam's Club.  Now that we have things such as Angel Soft and Charmin, I believe there will be a revolt in our house when we go back to the 45 bulk pack box.  :lol:  
    Oh, I was fully prepared to one-ply it if it came down to it!
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I went to a small local grocery store for eggs, milk. Lots of fruit, veg, meat, cereal, bread, etc. And super expensive bamboo toilet paper. Ha ha. But no wheat flour or yeast. 
    (I’m in Vancouver BC.)
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Thanks for keeping this one going, I am worried about all and seeing these times distresses me.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you gotta a job and are still employed...PAY YOUR FUCKING BILLS...people are the worst.  Let’s exploit a situation just because we can...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    If you gotta a job and are still employed...PAY YOUR FUCKING BILLS...people are the worst.  Let’s exploit a situation just because we can...
    No kidding! We are "essential" but our staff is down by half. Also, appointments are more spread out due to curbside service and distancing protocols. 

We are seeing fewer appointments in a day, therefore making less money. However, we're fortunate to still be afloat and have (so far) been able to meet financial obligations. 

If we don't pay our bills, the companies we are dependent upon will not be there when we need them, much like we depend on our clients to pay us.

We are all in this together. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I think many can’t, even if employed. Save for the reliable assholes, I doubt many are milking this. 
  • Options
    Happy to report that I got much needed cleaning supplies this week all due to stores rationing - there was an article online news that Gov was going after people buying all cleaning hand sanitizer and selling for 10xs cost. Good to see those criminals are punished sick that people will buy out cleaning supplies people need to sell back to them at those markups. I am ok with people doing that on PlayStations since that is not needed to survive but on hand sanitizer? Heartbreaking
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    I just learned today that our governor has decided farmer's markets are *restaurants* and ordered them closed. This is bs and I plan to write my state legislators about it. Horrible idea. 
    Every “farmers market” I’ve seen is half, if not more, crafts and food trucks. And people congregating. Even if they moved to only raw produce you would still have larger groups of people in a smaller confined area compared to a grocery store. I would expect all farmers markets to be closed.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    For about a week the only thing not stocked are pasta and paper (TP and paper towels).

We always buy Costco brand TP, and it lasts us 5-6 weeks. When all this started our Costco pack was fairly new and I remember laughing and people freaking out over toilet paper, thinking we still had a month supply left I would easily get some before then. Now we’re down to about a week left and I was getting worried. 

I got lucky on Amazon. Never looked until yesterday and found some that was available, but sold out before I was able to buy. Kept checking, a few hours later more was in stock again. I bought some, seconds later saw some that looked better so tried to buy that to and buy then everything was sold out again. Luckily I had that first order and it’s already shipped.

So if you get desperate it looks like they restock frequently, just gets sold out fast.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mace1229 said:
    Every “farmers market” I’ve seen is half, if not more, crafts and food trucks. And people congregating. Even if they moved to only raw produce you would still have larger groups of people in a smaller confined area compared to a grocery store. I would expect all farmers markets to be closed.
    They are open for take ahead orders in VA just like restaurants. It's a shame they can't allow the farmers to spread themselves out and continue to bring in their produce. It's going to be a huge blow to a lot of small family farms. 
  • Options

• Options
    Our local Ace Hardware got a shipment in of handsanitizer.  2 limit.  That was good.

Still no TP but I still have 10 rolls left and that will last me a while.

Egg choices were slim this week.  No cage free and only medium size.  I suspect the chickens to be on quarantine too.

Fresh veggies are plentiful which is great.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Kind of offtopic.  I keep reading that takeout is safe but im so paranoid.  I’d like to keep supporting my local spots with take out.  

Anyone getting take out from time to time?
  • Options
    Kind of offtopic.  I keep reading that takeout is safe but im so paranoid.  I’d like to keep supporting my local spots with take out.  

Nope.  Not anymore.  Not worth it to me.  I already have to wipe down everything I purchase from the supermarket.  Am I going to Lysol my pizza next or wipe down the box?  How much of the box? When does it end?  What is really safe?

I don't know and I am not going to tempt fate.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I wish.  I don't trust it to bring to my family.  Have enough in the freezer to last for a lot longer....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Deliveries from our local places are used regularly by us. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    We're still getting pizza every Friday, and we hit one other takeout spot when we can. I'll let y'all know if someone in the family dies.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

I guess it kind of depends on where you live and how well you know the staff and trust they are following guidelines. I haven't bought take out in over two weeks but it's more of a financial decision.
    I did have one take n bake pizza.

#FHP
  • Options
    dankind said:
    We're still getting pizza every Friday, and we hit one other takeout spot when we can. I'll let y'all know if someone in the family dies.
    Death by pizza...  Pizza the Hut was a bad dude in Space Balls.

In all seriousness you'd never know where it came from.