Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The saving grace here is that this is NOT the doomsday virus.  In large part it has little effect on younger and able-bodied people, so a lot of the food production and trucking may continue.  

People do need to settle down, do some breathing and get their bearings.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796
    deadendp said:
    Cleveland Ohio - many stores have limits on the number of essential items each customer can purchase. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc are no where to be found. 
    Swing on down to Akron. We have paper products (check Marc's or Acme) but no can do on hand sanitizer. (And Gojo is just miles away in Cuyahoga Falls.) I was in Marc's earlier and overheard a lady ask a sales clerk if it would be crazy for her to ask for hand sanitizer. The clerk laughed at an appropriately distanced 6 feet away. 

No Lysol, but we have some. My husband wants another can. 

Try Ace Hardware. I needed cleanser on Sunday, would not attempt the grocery but they had everything. Had limits, but they had everything. 
    @deadendp Thanks!!!
    home depot and lowes having cleaning stuff too.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    Cleveland Ohio - many stores have limits on the number of essential items each customer can purchase. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc are no where to be found. 
    Swing on down to Akron. We have paper products (check Marc's or Acme) but no can do on hand sanitizer. (And Gojo is just miles away in Cuyahoga Falls.) I was in Marc's earlier and overheard a lady ask a sales clerk if it would be crazy for her to ask for hand sanitizer. The clerk laughed at an appropriately distanced 6 feet away. 

Try Ace Hardware. I needed cleanser on Sunday, would not attempt the grocery but they had everything. Had limits, but they had everything. 
    @deadendp Thanks!!!
    dollar stores?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ^^^Cleaning supplies of certain types are tough to find anywhere, but the sheeple are only cleaning out the biggest big box stores in most places.  Dollar stores, country stores, independent grocers...most of them are heavily shopped but not blown out.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:

@deadendp Thanks!!!
    dollar stores?
    I haven't shopped at one, but I believe that their shelves were cleared out.  We serve a monthly breakfast at church where we also give a bag of toiletries to those who come.  No judgment.  If you say you need, we provide.  We just take a head count.  But. . . in those bags are toilet paper, paper towels, tooth paste, shampoo, soap, laundry soap . . . We run on a pre-order with them and our order was in prior to everything going down.  They have our order in and it is awaiting pick up.  Good on them for having it and not selling it.  The current plans are that the giveaway will still happen with no breakfast and they will have a very pared down group to pass things out drive thru style while wearing gloves, safety glasses and masks.  My daughter and I will not be participating in the pass this time.  (She is tucked in because she has a suppressed immune system.)  But, I'm glad that they have figured out a way to serve a community most in need.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    on facebook.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

Wife & I have done a good job over the last couple of weeks preparing.

I realized last night I was almost out of distilled water which I use for my Cpap.

I was 5th in line at the grocery store this AM. Got some chicken among other essentials... no distilled water anywhere though. I checked Homedepot.com to see if I could pick some up on the way home... none in stock within a 100 mile radius. Crazy.

It isn't life or death, worse case scenario: I sleep in a separate bedroom so my snoring doesn't bother my wife... still & all, it's eerie to say the least.

I felt bad for some of the older folks shopping there. I tried to smile & be pleasant (despite assholes close to me in age trying to run past people to get to TP). This is tough on everyone, but I really feel bad for the old folks, especially if they don't have anyone to help them.

This sucks.

Good luck everyone, be safe.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    rgambs said:
    ^^^Cleaning supplies of certain types are tough to find anywhere, but the sheeple are only cleaning out the biggest big box stores in most places.  Dollar stores, country stores, independent grocers...most of them are heavily shopped but not blown out.

Sheeple?
    :lol:  Awesome.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Wife & I have done a good job over the last couple of weeks preparing.mo

I realized last night I was almost out of distilled water which I use for my Cpap.

I was 5th in line at the grocery store this AM. Got some chicken among other essentials... no distilled water anywhere though. I checked Homedepot.com to see if I could pick some up on the way home... none in stock within a 100 mile radius. Crazy.

It isn't life or death, worse case scenario: I sleep in a separate bedroom so my snoring doesn't bother my wife... still & all, it's eerie to say the least.

I felt bad for some of the older folks shopping there. I tried to smile & be pleasant (despite assholes close to me in age trying to run past people to get to TP). This is tough on everyone, but I really feel bad for the old folks, especially if they don't have anyone to help them.

This sucks.

if you are still snoring using cpap , have your doctor walk you through increasing your pressure.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Wife & I have done a good job over the last couple of weeks preparing.mo

This sucks.

if you are still snoring using cpap , have your doctor walk you through increasing your pressure.
    I only snore when I don't wear the CPAP. Appreciate the advice though. (as does my wife)
  • Options
    Can you boil water for a length of time to make it useable?  I ask because I really have no idea. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Can you boil water for a length of time to make it useable?  I ask because I really have no idea. 

You're reading my mind... I'm currently looking into how to distill water, and from what I'm reading (initially), it doesn't seem terribly difficult.

• Options
    deadendp said:

You're reading my mind... I'm currently looking into how to distill water, and from what I'm reading (initially), it doesn't seem terribly difficult.

I know that my cousin was a big fan of the Neti pot.  She used to boil water for that when she didn't have distilled available.  I think she would boil it for 5 minutes, but do your research with the use with the CPAP.  I can't think it would be impossible.  
  • Options
    local 24 hr meijers I  shop is reducing their hours from 8 am to 10 pm. all hands on deck restocking.....

• Options
    deadendp said:

tap or regular bottled water can be used just reduce your humidity level to prevent it from baking out. and wash the reservoir daily to reduce mineral build up.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:

tap or regular bottled water can be used just reduce your humidity level to prevent it from baking out. and wash the reservoir daily to reduce mineral build up.

Appreciate the advice folks... the mineral buildup is what I'm trying to avoid.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Western Maryland.
    Most of the same story here. Empty shelves, restocked and gone immediately. No cleaning supplies, very little paper goods.  Some stores have set elderly shopping hours and item limits.  Thanks to the latter, I was able to get bread and eggs last weekend.
    Most non-essential businesses are closed. My work is still open but I think we're starting from home next week. They haven't announced it yet but I'm near the HR dept so I've overheard things this morning.  Hopefully my hours don't get cut.
    Restaurants & bars are doing curbside and delivery. People in the community are really pushing local businesses on social media and the response has been extremely uplifting. You take these places for granted when you can just go about your daily motions, and realize how much you miss them when you can't frequent.
    I had my regular doctor check-up on Weds. I'm in excellent health - best I've been since I was a teen - so there's good news.  Anyway, UPMC is allowing 1 visitor per inpatient/outpatient. No one under 18 permitted and no critical care visitors.  Pharmacies are only filling 30 day supplies instead of 90. Dispensaries remain open (considered a medical facility) but are limiting in-store visitation and pushing curbside as well.
    Governor Hogan has put a 6 month ban on all utilties (including cable/internet/cellphone) charging late fees and rental evictions, lifted the waiting period for unemployment, and banned price gouging.
  • Options
    Western Maryland.
    Most of the same story here. Empty shelves, restocked and gone immediately. No cleaning supplies, very little paper goods.  Some stores have set elderly shopping hours and item limits.  Thanks to the latter, I was able to get bread and eggs last weekend.
    Most non-essential businesses are closed. My work is still open but I think we're starting from home next week. They haven't announced it yet but I'm near the HR dept so I've overheard things this morning.  Hopefully my hours don't get cut.
    Restaurants & bars are doing curbside and delivery. People in the community are really pushing local businesses on social media and the response has been extremely uplifting. You take these places for granted when you can just go about your daily motions, and realize how much you miss them when you can't frequent.
    I had my regular doctor check-up on Weds. I'm in excellent health - best I've been since I was a teen - so there's good news.  Anyway, UPMC is allowing 1 visitor per inpatient/outpatient. No one under 18 permitted and no critical care visitors.  Pharmacies are only filling 30 day supplies instead of 90. Dispensaries remain open (considered a medical facility) but are limiting in-store visitation and pushing curbside as well.
    Governor Hogan has put a 6 month ban on all utilties (including cable/internet/cellphone) charging late fees and rental evictions, lifted the waiting period for unemployment, and banned price gouging.
    This is the best part of your update! :plus_one: 
  • Options

I love Chopped! When it gets down to gummy bears and saltines, things might get a lil interesting around here. :lol:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ha.  Agree.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Give me some chicken stock and I can make anything!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Did we teach you nothing? Make your own damn chicken stock! :chicken:  :smiley:
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Did we teach you nothing? Make your own damn chicken stock! :chicken:  :smiley:
    If there is no chicken to make the stock I can use store bought and still make something.

So there.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    As long as “anything” is chicken soup ;)

(I’m kidding - I use stock in a lot of things too)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:

Appreciate the advice folks... the mineral buildup is what I'm trying to avoid.
    I hope you find a solution, because treating your sleep apnea is about so much more than just not waking up your wife. It’s about your health, and you need to be in the best possible health right now. Good luck!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Can you make a hat, or a brooch or a pterodactyl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8oAQOvOEXY

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    We’ve made our own bread and pasta this week we also get 4 eggs every day from my chickens..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    aldi seems to be fully stocked according to the wife...

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    mickeyrat said:
    aldi seems to be fully stocked according to the wife...
    Yes my wife shopped there two days ago everything except chicken ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    myoung321 said:
    Bright side... maybe this will help people move to more plant based foods.  
     In fact the CDC warns that 3 out of 4 new or emerging infectious diseases in people come from eating animals. 
    I'm guessing we're pretty safe as long as we're not buying our meats in open air markets.

Lots of empty shelves here in Oregon. Been that way for a week. Canned foods and meats sell out quickly and of course paper stuff is rare.

We also have a lack of buckshot when buying ammo.
    #FHP