Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,089
    ....and its the same in the UK, until people get some idea of when we'll come out the other side of this, I think panic buying will continue.
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited March 2020
    Cleveland Ohio - many stores have limits on the number of essential items each customer can purchase. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc are no where to be found. 
    Swing on down to Akron. We have paper products (check Marc's or Acme) but no can do on hand sanitizer. (And Gojo is just miles away in Cuyahoga Falls.) I was in Marc's earlier and overheard a lady ask a sales clerk if it would be crazy for her to ask for hand sanitizer. The clerk laughed at an appropriately distanced 6 feet away. 

No Lysol, but we have some. My husband wants another can. 

Try Ace Hardware. I needed cleanser on Sunday, would not attempt the grocery but they had everything. Had limits, but they had everything. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    My wife shopped today here on Long Island got everything we needed including TP & paper towels no chicken though! Man this is just so fucking taxing on everyone be safe everyone..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Oh, yes. What's with chicken? And flour? Is everyone suddenly going to bake? I actually do and laughed how the flour displays were either empty or close to it. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    hats off to our nation’s truckers for keeping the supply chain flowing. keep on truck’n
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited March 2020
    Jason P said:
    hats off to our nation’s truckers for keeping the supply chain flowing. keep on truck’n
    https://youtu.be/j3VN54M1OXA

Really though, amen to that.

*edit - the lip-syncing is just awful :lol:
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Jason P said:
    Good call hats 🎩 off to the truck drivers and there’s a couple here I commend them! Stay safe 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    I work at a grocery store in Kitchener Ontario, we placed limits on almost all high demand products and that along with a somewhat return of people's sanity has allowed us to catch up.  When I left, our store was steady but that's normal for the first day of a new flyer. For the most part our shelves are in good shape, produce and dairy well stocked and meat was full of beef and pork, just a little light on chicken. It was definitely better than last week.
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Everything is empty here too.
    People are so selfish.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    Bright side... maybe this will help people move to more plant based foods.  
     In fact the CDC warns that 3 out of 4 new or emerging infectious diseases in people come from eating animals. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,624
    I went to CVS to get my son's medication and they appeared to have everything when I looked around their food and supplies area.
    Don't want to pay pharmacy prices but would if needed 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I wonder how many people here panic purchased more than they need?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I haven’t but hope those among us who may have (doesn’t appear that way, from what I’ve read) aren’t scolded. Many lessons have been learned from this, with more to come. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The real question is when does it stop being panic buying and start being smart prepping?
    I bought my seeds early this year. 🤷‍♂️
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,624
    rgambs said:
    The real question is when does it stop being panic buying and start being smart prepping?
    I bought my seeds early this year. 🤷‍♂️
    Yeah, I had my freezer filled up well well before reports of stores having stocking issues.

• Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    Now there is talk of lock down in my area if things get worse like what’s in Italy, the hoarding will get worse if this happens 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    went this morning in suburban Philly. figured it would be better after initial rush last week. it's not.  paper product aisle completely empty and only meat products were some pork products. forget any kind of beef in the supermarket. luckily have Colonial Farms Meat Market in the area and that was well stocked for meats.  we have plenty of pasta and frozen food so not worried about not having food. i guess food on the shelves was something we took for granted in the US until this moment in time. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    fwiw, it IS true the supply chain is fine, however it takes a while to load then unload. at grocery distribution centers. HOURS in fact. and that just manufacturer loads.

I am a truck driver. I saw a higher number of reefer(refrigerated) trailers last night with seals and locks indicating full loads than I see normally. who can say about dry goods loads but am sure its the same.

bread and milk and meat production may take a bit to catch up but will.

just try to be patient and creative with the stuff you already have .
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    mickeyrat said:
    fwiw, it IS true the supply chain is fine, however it takes a while to load then unload. at grocery distribution centers. HOURS in fact. and that just manufacturer loads.

I am a truck driver. I saw a higher number of reefer(refrigerated) trailers last night with seals and locks indicating full loads than I see normally. who can say about dry goods loads but am sure its the same.

Thanks for the info. Any kind of positive thoughts at this time is great. I am not an anxious person normally but the situation has me nervous as hell for what the future holds.  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mickeyrat said:

Thanks for the info. Any kind of positive thoughts at this time is great. I am not an anxious person normally but the situation has me nervous as hell for what the future holds.  
    and ourvery own Speedy McCready is now on the case running those goods for the duration.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    so heres something you that are willing can do

truck stops with restaurants attached are doing drive thru only. no lobby service at all.

what I am asking is go to the closest truck stop and serve as a drive thru taxi service. either take the money and order or let the driver in and he/she can order themselves.

there IS food in the truck stops but prepackaged stuff is so heavily salt laden its ridiculous.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

truck stops with restaurants attached are doing drive thru only. no lobby service at all.

what I am asking is go to the closest truck stop and serve as a drive thru taxi service. either take the money and order or let the driver in and he/she can order themselves.

there IS food in the truck stops but prepackaged stuff is so heavily salt laden its ridiculous.
    I heard roadside rests are closed in PA. My cousin and I were discussing the impact on truck drivers. Your thoughts? 

OP, I know this isn't an empty shelf comment. I apologize. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:

I heard roadside rests are closed in PA. My cousin and I were discussing the impact on truck drivers. Your thoughts? 

Pa is recinding that order. yet to decide if they will open the facilities or bring in porta johns. All turnpike locations set to reopen. also determining which rest areas will reopen

fuckers wouldnt even allow parking.......

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    mickeyrat said:
    pjhawks said:
    mickeyrat said:

and our very own Speedy McCready is now on the case running those goods for the duration.
    Not that we give a rat's ass. Hehehehe.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    The places I go to keep restocking.  They'll keep getting things in.  People have been panic buying and hoard shit.

I calmly went into a Trader Joes yesterday and purchased eggs, egg whites, bread and some fresh fruits and veggies.

Haven't looked for it but I know TP is sparse.
  • Options
    Police being deployed to keep the peace here.
    Such a disgrace.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:

Pa is recinding that order. yet to decide if they will open the facilities or bring in porta johns. All turnpike locations set to reopen. also determining which rest areas will reopen

fuckers wouldnt even allow parking.......
    That's what I wondered. Good to hear that they are rescinding. I know there is to be no gathering more than 10, but people need to use the bathroom and sleep. There is being careful and then there is thoughtless. 

The boys across the street are home. One is laid off and the other one is retired, but is a hospital volunteer. (Due to his age, he has been asked to stay home.) Don made us dinner last night. He has told me he is bored, so my guess is that food may be coming across the street at a fairly regular stream. He loves my granola, so I'll make a batch in trade. Gotta love neighbors! :triumph:
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    deadendp said:
    Cleveland Ohio - many stores have limits on the number of essential items each customer can purchase. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc are no where to be found. 
    Swing on down to Akron. We have paper products (check Marc's or Acme) but no can do on hand sanitizer. (And Gojo is just miles away in Cuyahoga Falls.) I was in Marc's earlier and overheard a lady ask a sales clerk if it would be crazy for her to ask for hand sanitizer. The clerk laughed at an appropriately distanced 6 feet away. 

Try Ace Hardware. I needed cleanser on Sunday, would not attempt the grocery but they had everything. Had limits, but they had everything. 
    @deadendp Thanks!!!
  • Options
    deadendp said:

@deadendp Thanks!!!
    Meijer in Stow was pretty well stocked with everything, too. That was last week, but you may want to check them, too. 
  • Options
    Just ordered some fresh vegetables, cheese and breads from Instacart -- when I previously checked it was a 3 day wait, now it shows same day -- and I had to toggle between a few stores but where I ended up (Wegmans) they had something to choose from for all of those categories.
    Looks like the re-stocking is fine, here.  You could even order toilet paper or tissues, although I didn't as we have plenty of paper products.

In something very unsurprising the stuff my wife asked to order (gluten free, organic, sprouted, grown under a different sun, etc) they had options available as well.  I don't think anyone wants that stuff except the people who have to eat it due to their dietary restrictions...so it is good that they have that as well.