• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    PJNB said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Off topic. The Olympics are probably 50/50 now.
    Says who? 
    Logic. Japan is going to be off limits for travel as early as today. 
    So, logically you have deduced, that from today until infinity time Japan will be closed for all travel?
    I don’t think that’s what @YAKIMATSU is saying at all. I’m a huge fan of The National, and their tour is scheduled to kick off in Japan a day before PJ plays Toronto. Unfortunately fans in Korea are having to sell tickets already due to the fact that upon returning from the show they will be put in quarantine for 14 days and can not afford to do that. I honestly will not be shocked if the National’s  Japan dates are postponed. 

The fact is we just do not know how quickly it will spread. I’m not canceling my trip to Toronto, but I’d be lying if I said that I don’t think there is a possibility that some of the Euro PJ dates could be postponed IF it spreads widely. 
    great, but this is not evidence that the Olympics are a 50/50 proposition at this time.  That is a total bullshit estimation based on utter nonsense and fear mongering. 

I agree. What total nonsense.  It isn't like they shut down the entire country's school system. 

What?  Come again?  They did just shut down the country's entire school system?    No.  Really?  They did?  Well, school is not as important than the Olympics. 

So a proactive measure on February 27th is going to least indefinitely.  Got it.

The death rate outside of Hubei Province by the way, in China is 0.4%.  Which again only is qualified by overall reported documented cases.
    Who knows.  That is the point.  It is too early to know one way or the other, but there has been significant disruption in supply chains and quarantined so regardless of the severity we are seeing real impacts on a global perspective.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    PJNB said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Off topic. The Olympics are probably 50/50 now.
    Says who? 
    Logic. Japan is going to be off limits for travel as early as today. 
    So, logically you have deduced, that from today until infinity time Japan will be closed for all travel?
    I don’t think that’s what @YAKIMATSU is saying at all. I’m a huge fan of The National, and their tour is scheduled to kick off in Japan a day before PJ plays Toronto. Unfortunately fans in Korea are having to sell tickets already due to the fact that upon returning from the show they will be put in quarantine for 14 days and can not afford to do that. I honestly will not be shocked if the National’s  Japan dates are postponed. 

The fact is we just do not know how quickly it will spread. I’m not canceling my trip to Toronto, but I’d be lying if I said that I don’t think there is a possibility that some of the Euro PJ dates could be postponed IF it spreads widely. 
    great, but this is not evidence that the Olympics are a 50/50 proposition at this time.  That is a total bullshit estimation based on utter nonsense and fear mongering. 

I agree. What total nonsense.  It isn't like they shut down the entire country's school system. 

What?  Come again?  They did just shut down the country's entire school system?    No.  Really?  They did?  Well, school is not as important than the Olympics. 

Japan doesn't care about school anyway, we all know that.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    PJPAT said:
    It will unfortunately.   Hopefully hold off a bit but seems to be spreading faster everyday.

20 days to Toronto!!!  2% chance isn’t much but more than I would like.  I can’t live without Pearl Jam so I’m going.

the 2% is based on the extreme problem that existed in Hubei Province. What keeps getting completely overshadowed is that  the mortality rate outside of that province in China has been 0.4%.    And that doesn't take into account all the people who were sick, never reported it, and recovered.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    Just wear a fucking condom, it’s not that hard.

Image result for body condoms

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    We now clearly have community spread in Northern California with a patient confirmed on the following timeline: 
    Confirmed Feb 26th after CDC finally agreed to test him
    Came into Hospital quite sick on Feb 19th. 
    Given what we know about incubation / timeline to symptoms was likely infected sometime between Feb ~5th and ~15th. 

This means open transmission is likely to have been going for for 2-3 weeks in northern california. (Anyone ducking this reality is clueless, IMO). Similar reports out of NY State with a Hotel Maid that services many Chinese toursts. Has been gravely ill with COVID-type symptoms for over a week and CDC refuses to test her.

IMO the reason we are not seeing more confirmed tests is our CDC is refusing to test to confirm... NOT because there are not people bouncing around the country spreading this virus right now. 

At this point, based on what we've seen in several other countries, I think we're less than a week from a significant surge of confirmed cases (assuming our CDC actually does their job and starts testing people. 

I know someone will get butthurt by my saying this but I've been ahead of the curve on this since it started:
    My .02: I am now officially expecting at least some shows of the the Summer tour to be cancelled (maybe 10% chance of full tour happening). I'm anticipating at least some shows of the Spring tour to be cancelled (maybe 25% chance of full tour happening?) 

If Ottawa/Quebec City happen, the GF and I will be in PPE. 

If I'm proven wrong, I'll be ecstatic. I've got thousands tied up in this. I don't think I am. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Thankfully I have both read and watched World War Z, so I feel I am prepared for what is obviously about to happen
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Thankfully I have both read and watched World War Z, so I feel I am prepared for what is obviously about to happen
     =) 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    Well if they do cancel I hope they tell us soon.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Some quotes from the CDC today: 

"Disruption to everyday life might be severe," says Dr. Nancy Messonnier. She said she told her children this morning, "While I didn't think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives.

"The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and certainly raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here."  
    Outlook for coronavirus in the U.S.: CDC is "preparing as if we are going to see community spread in the near term," says Dr. Messonnier on media call. 
    U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet." 
    U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly.
    Audio of the briefing = https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3

So now the CDC is expecting community spread In North America, and preparing for it near term. They're telling people to begin preparing for this, and to be ready for possibility of significant disruption to their lives. 

I'm not saying any shows will definitely cancelled, however IF community spread gets fairly widespread as the CDC is now preparing for, we absolutely will see cancelation of events involving mass gatherings in affected communities. IF THAT HAPPENS, There is a good chance that will include PJ shows. 
    Fingers crossed things slow down over in Europe, and our excellent medical systems in North America are able to keep spread to a minimum.... It's been a long time since I've been this excited for a run of shows, and have thousands tied up in travel/show expenses. 
    I hate to be a downer, but there was just a reported case of the virus in CA that was labeled community spread as the infected individual did not travel abroad or have any direct contact with another infected person. I’m not panicking or keeping myself locked in my house, but this case is a stark reminder that we should all be aware and not take things too lightly. Wash those hands people and if you’re feeling sick....get checked out and stay home!!
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 761
    I have a vacation planned to the Osaka region in a few weeks. I am not concerned about contracting the virus while there, I am concerned that everything will be closed or shutdown as a preventative measure. 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    edited February 2020
    I really don't think the Tokyo Olympics being cancelled is that far fetched at all. Would be a breeding ground for infection and then those people all travel back home. 

"JUST IN: Facebook cancels its annual developer conference amid coronavirus outbreak"
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    Pence is on it....so its all good. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Vedd Hedd said:

Yup. He'll just pray it away. Thoughts and prayers, everyone.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    jeffbr said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

And he can enlist Mother's help.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

I hate to be a downer, but there was just a reported case of the virus in CA that was labeled community spread as the infected individual did not travel abroad or have any direct contact with another infected person. I’m not panicking or keeping myself locked in my house, but this case is a stark reminder that we should all be aware and not take things too lightly. Wash those hands people and if you’re feeling sick....get checked out and stay home!!
    yep i had just posted about it a few posts up :( Not good news 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options

Capitol Alert @CapitolAlert

Gov. Newsom says 28 people in California have tested positive for Coronavirus. About 8,400 people are being monitored because of their travel. "We knew this was inevitable," he said.

Here we go... :( 

• Options
    Meanwhile, the admin only cares about politics and power:
    "Government health officials and scientists will have to clear statements about the coronavirus outbreak with the office of Vice President Mike Pence, in an effort to tighten the White House’s control of messaging about the virus"

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,821
    I honestly think parts of the spring tour would be more in jeopardy than anything this summer. 
  • Options
    Facebook cancels largest annual conference (F8). 

This was scheduled on San Jose in May. 

• Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

He's sending the Space Force to wipe out the virus.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    jeffbr said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

And he can enlist Mother's help.
    He did so well preventing new HIV infections in Indiana..... oh wait....
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    PJNB said:
    I honestly think parts of the spring tour would be more in jeopardy than anything this summer. 
    Why do you think that? Not attacking just curious. 

China is over 2 months into the infection cycle and the only reason cases are (allegedly) dropping is because everyone is quarantined and all public events are banned. As soon as people begin mingling it will flare up again. I seriously doubt affected areas in China have public events/gatherings anytime soon. That is asking for another huge flareup (See, the Korean church that has an 85% positive rate on nearly 1000 folks tested). 

This virus is EXTREMELY contagious. Hell, some folks are suddenly testing positive again after being declared recovered. 

• Options
    PJNB said:

China is over 2 months into the infection cycle and the only reason cases are (allegedly) dropping is because everyone is quarantined and all public events are banned. As soon as people begin mingling it will flare up again. I seriously doubt affected areas in China have public events/gatherings anytime soon. That is asking for another huge flareup (See, the Korean church that has an 85% positive rate on nearly 1000 folks tested). 

This virus is EXTREMELY contagious. Hell, some folks are suddenly testing positive again after being declared recovered. 
    I didnt hear that. Patients are getting this virus a second time?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Yep : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/japanese-woman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time

Coronavirus: Japanese woman tests positive for second time

Tour guide had been given all-clear but then developed a sore throat and chest pains

Cases of second positive tests have been reported in China. The outbreak has spread rapidly and widely, infecting about 80,000 people globally and killing nearly 2,800, the vast majority in mainland China.

“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Prof Philip Tierno at New York University’s school of medicine. He said much remained unknown about the virus. “I’m not certain that this is not biphasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease might appear to go away before recurring.

• Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Fuck the corona virus! It’s the Dos Equis virus that’ll get ya. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Yep : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/japanese-woman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time

Coronavirus: Japanese woman tests positive for second time

Tour guide had been given all-clear but then developed a sore throat and chest pains

Cases of second positive tests have been reported in China. The outbreak has spread rapidly and widely, infecting about 80,000 people globally and killing nearly 2,800, the vast majority in mainland China.

“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Prof Philip Tierno at New York University’s school of medicine. He said much remained unknown about the virus. “I’m not certain that this is not biphasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease might appear to go away before recurring.

Bummer.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 564

If I'm proven wrong, I'll be ecstatic. I've got thousands tied up in this. I don't think I am. 
    Right with you.  Hoping for the best, but logic is not very positive.  I mean, do we have an NBA finals with no spectators? Seriously.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,821
    PJNB said:

When was the last time something like this went into the summer months? Maybe it is just me being hopeful.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

When was the last time something like this went into the summer months? Maybe it is just me being hopeful.
    Sadly, we've never had an administration this incompetent or corrupt.  I have zero faith in them telling us the truth, listening to experts or taking the steps necessary to contain this.

• Options
    PJNB said: 
    Very valid point... The low numbers in Singapore could be reflective of their incredible tracking/testing/quarantine efforts (on par with South Korea's)... or it COULD be that it's been in the 80sF there. 

This strain is very unique, but you're 100% right that Coronavirus generally do poorly in hot/humid environments. Fingers crossed! 

This discussion has been closed.