Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,278
    23scidoo said:
    I wasn't worry about the virus too much but i have plan a trip to Italy in May and after the latest news from our neighbours, now starts to worry a little bit..

I'm also worried, we planned a trip to northern Italy in July ...

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Deadman said:
    bbiggs said:
    I look at it like this.  If the virus becomes that significant of a problem, we have much bigger things to worry about than attending a rock concert. 
    And the winner of most intelligent and best post is...

Isn't this the point of the thread though?   Do we think coronavirus will impact the tour?   It would impact the tour if it were to become a big issue in the US and then in Europe as well for the summer. 
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    edited February 2020
    Deleted message. 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

80+ years old
    14.8%
    70-79 years old
    8.0%
    60-69 years old
    3.6%
    50-59 years old
    1.3%
    40-49 years old
    0.4%
    30-39 years old
    0.2%
    20-29 years old
    0.2%
    10-19 years old
    0.2%
    0-9 years old
    no fatalities

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%).

...think I'll skip the Rolling Stones concert this year...

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,250
    I still cant believe people are worried about this. It's literally the same noise as Ebola, west Nile, swine flu, sar. It's going to have zero effect on a US/NA tour. 
  • Options
    I still cant believe people are worried about this. It's literally the same noise as Ebola, west Nile, swine flu, sar. It's going to have zero effect on a US/NA tour. 
    Thats a narrow minded take on it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,015
    edited February 2020
    It already has an impact on europe thus it could have a real possibility  of disrupting this part of the spring tour. Italy is locking down places so yeah it is a real risk of being relavant  . Although you are only interested in .N.A leg
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750

Except in Europe there's already been at least one example of a mid sized band pulling a show on the advice of public health authorities, so..............

I work in public health and one of the 4 or 5 bullet points we've been repeating ad nauseum is 'avoid mass gatherings'. 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    Thats a narrow minded take on it
    There was 1 case in phoenix, az. I spent over 3 weeks in the hospital visiting family. The hospital was full of thousands of hypochondriacs thinking they had Corona virus. The nurses and doctors would just chuckle. They had zero concern. There were no additional outbreaks.

It really isnt half as dangerous as the who and media would have you believe. All of the vietnamese outbreak patients were cured. 

Those who die are generally elderly, already sick with other issues, or really young. Just like every other disease. Any and all data from china is probably heavily skewed and inaccurate so you have to disregard it. 

You can call it narrow minded, that's your right. But I will tell you it 100% will not affect the US or Canada. There is a better chance of lightning strikes, power outages, and snow storms affecting the shows.
  • Options
    Football is being cancelled in italy. Think  about that. Football-Italy.  Its a religion there.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,015
    edited February 2020
    Pheonix is not the  euro part of spring tour.  1 case is not person to person like europe now.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Coronavirus is like a flu, nothing more. Everybody calm down, especially here in Italy. 
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    I'm only referencing the spring US and Canada legs. Europe in the summer is a different situation. 
  • Options
    I'm only referencing the spring US and Canada legs. Europe in the summer is a different situation. 
    Don't think so. 
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Rob, this thread was written for the (NA) spring tour. Europe is the summer tour.
    I'm worried reading the news, yes. But I try not to stress out about it. It may (hopefully) be like the flu, it may be(come) worse. Who knows. I do think it's important to be alert and not underestimate it. Panicking isn't helpful though. I just hope no tour, neither spring nor summer, will be affected. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Panicking isn't helpful though. 
    This. Fingers crossed. 
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822

• Options
    PJNB said:

This.
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 564
    The numbers in Italy are growing very fast. 
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    Some quotes from the CDC today: 

"Disruption to everyday life might be severe," says Dr. Nancy Messonnier. She said she told her children this morning, "While I didn't think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives.

"The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and certainly raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here."  
    Outlook for coronavirus in the U.S.: CDC is "preparing as if we are going to see community spread in the near term," says Dr. Messonnier on media call. 
    U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet." 
    U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly.
    Audio of the briefing = https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3

So now the CDC is expecting community spread In North America, and preparing for it near term. They're telling people to begin preparing for this, and to be ready for possibility of significant disruption to their lives. 

I'm not saying any shows will definitely cancelled, however IF community spread gets fairly widespread as the CDC is now preparing for, we absolutely will see cancelation of events involving mass gatherings in affected communities. IF THAT HAPPENS, There is a good chance that will include PJ shows. 
    Fingers crossed things slow down over in Europe, and our excellent medical systems in North America are able to keep spread to a minimum.... It's been a long time since I've been this excited for a run of shows, and have thousands tied up in travel/show expenses. 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Once again, panicking isn't helpful though. 
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    I don't think people are panicking here; simply raising legitimate questions. When you see Italian cities on lockdown, it is worth asking whether or not Imola could get cancelled if things don't improve. Bands won't want to wait last minute to decide if they should change their spring/summer plans. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    raindog80 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Once again, panicking isn't helpful though. 

Educated discussion of events that have a small but increasing likelyhood of impacting concerts that some of us have invested thousands of dollars into isn't "panicking"... no matter how many times you parrot your mantra. 
    Managing And mitigating risk is part of being an adult. It's clear some of us want to follow this and discuss how it might impact t shows we plan to attend.  If this discussion isn't something you can handle, perhaps this isn't the thread for you. 

Cheers :) 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Ah. 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    This is not panicking its preparing and i think by being  ignorant you will make the  problem worse. All anyone here is saying is be real. Be prepared  dont be in denial that disruption is already here. So it makes  great sense to prepare and be aware.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    It’s a fluid situation, and not one that most of us are qualified to predict.  

For the NA tour, I take some comfort from the fact that a PJ show is no different from an NHL or NBA game, in terms of venue/crowd gathering, and it seems unlikely the leagues will suspend operations next month.  And if they do, that would mean the health risk is so high that concerts should be the furthest thing from our minds.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    kst said:
    It’s a fluid situation, and not one that most of us are qualified to predict.  

For the NA tour, I take some comfort from the fact that a PJ show is no different from an NHL or NBA game, in terms of venue/crowd gathering, and it seems unlikely the leagues will suspend operations next month.  And if they do, that would mean the health risk is so high that concerts should be the furthest thing from our minds.
    As someone who's attending the same 4 shows as you, I'm also cautiously optimistic that absent a localized breakout, the early parts of the tour are starting to feel somewhat "safe" in the sense that they are incredibly likely to go on. :) 

• Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,278
    Whether the tour should be canceled because of this, which I obviously don't hope for (fingers crossed), then it will be right .... I'm currently more worried about my parents, my children and myself, because we belong to a risk group. ..

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    The virus could already be starting to spread in America. We don't know. Some people might have it, and just thinks it's a common cold or flu? The CDC's site says the incubation period is believed to be between 2 and 14 days. As posted above, they're pretty much saying it's now a matter of when it comes, not if.

The LA1 show is 7 weeks from today. That's a lot of time for a lot of things to happen with this. Or maybe not? Right now I'm planning on still going out to LA for both shows. But I haven't taken the plunge on the flights yet, despite the cheap prices. I'm going to wait and see how things play out over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    I wasn’t concerned about the corona virus until yesterday. I think there is a decent chance this could impact the tour. This virus mostly effects people 35+ which is the band and the population attending the show. Not good. 
This discussion has been closed.