CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PD279656PD279656 Posts: 119
    edited February 2020
    There is zero chance this affects the tour. 80k out of 7.8billion people on this planet.

Some of you can't even win a lottery with a 68% chance but this is gonna get you? 

:puts tinfoil hat on: 

Also none of you find it suspicious that the CDC is issuing these stern warnings after proposed cuts to their budget? 
    Post edited by PD279656 on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    PD279656 said:
    There is zero chance this affects the tour. 80k out of 7.8billion people on this planet.

Some of you can't even win a lottery with a 68% chance but this is gonna get you? 

Also none of you find it suspicious that the CDC is issuing these stern warnings after proposed cuts to their budget? 
    lol yeah ok , did you read the link above..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    It is interesting how people are totally okay with a virus that kills 2 out of every 100 people getting into the US because the flu also kills people.   Like we shouldn’t try to stop something because other things might kill us anyway.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    kst said:
    It’s a fluid situation, and not one that most of us are qualified to predict.  

For the NA tour, I take some comfort from the fact that a PJ show is no different from an NHL or NBA game, in terms of venue/crowd gathering, and it seems unlikely the leagues will suspend operations next month.  And if they do, that would mean the health risk is so high that concerts should be the furthest thing from our minds.
    Wouldn’t there be a lot more people at a PJ show with all the floor seats?
    But I see your point, of they cancel concerts we’d be pretty close to a large quarantine.
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    Not that its a perfect comparison, but concerts and sporting events werent all cancelled in Toronto during the 2003 Sars outbreak.  I remember going to shows at the Scotiabank arena (then the Air Canada Centre) right in the middle of it.  Lots of people wore masks on the subway and on the streets, but life still went on.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,250
    PD279656 said:

It is 100% political and a false flag. It's not a concern because I have private, quality healthcare. 
  • Options

I would say there is nothing anyone can do right now and hope this does not become a pandemic , also please note the CDC puts out alerts on anything , same with SARS ( they said be prepared for disruption in the US ) , I am not saying it is not possible but they are also not saying this is certain right now but we should be prepared.

Also I have to say I find it a little funny that the idea of a global pandemic that some think could kill 2% of the population and the biggest concern is if you get to see Pearl Jam or not.   

• Options
    It is interesting how people are totally okay with a virus that kills 2 out of every 100 people getting into the US because the flu also kills people.   Like we shouldn’t try to stop something because other things might kill us anyway.
    I dont think that is what anyone is saying. I read it as some people are treating this like the next plaque but at the same time no one is worried daily about the flu. Seems out of proportion. Others claiming it has a much higher death rate than the flu and we should be freaking out.
    I am in the camp where I say its scary because we just don't know yet. We can't trust the numbers in China. The number of infected may actually be much higher, which would make the death percentage meaningless.

Either way, it would suck to have to now fight 2 different "flus" every year that never go away, even if the death rate ends up being lower on this one. That seems like a likely outcome from what I've read and heard.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    I'm keeping up on this pretty closely because I'm leaving for Japan in a couple of weeks.  There doesn't seem to be much middle ground in the discussion.  It's either the scariest thing ever or no big deal at all.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    ComeToTX said:
    I'm keeping up on this pretty closely because I'm leaving for Japan in a couple of weeks.  There doesn't seem to be much middle ground in the discussion.  It's either the scariest thing ever or no big deal at all.
    Yeah, there’s no discussion of the middle ground because it’s boring. Stay reasonably current with the news, pay attention to public health officials, and otherwise keep living life. I’d venture to say that this is what most of us are doing, but I guess some people find it much more interesting to discuss the extremes. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    Lostpawn said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Yeah, there’s no discussion of the middle ground because it’s boring. Stay reasonably current with the news, pay attention to public health officials, and otherwise keep living life. I’d venture to say that this is what most of us are doing, but I guess some people find it much more interesting to discuss the extremes. 
    Agree with the middle ground being more of the silent type on this. Wait and see and hope for the best for the tour and more importantly everyone's health and well being.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,526
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 564
    I would be selling an Imola ticket even if I lived there.  No way that show happens. 
  • Options
    YAKIMATSU said:
    I would be selling an Imola ticket even if I lived there.  No way that show happens. 
    Why? If its canceled you get a refund. If it isn't, you still have a ticket. They don't cancel shows and keep your money.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Matts3221 said:

Also I have to say I find it a little funny that the idea of a global pandemic that some think could kill 2% of the population and the biggest concern is if you get to see Pearl Jam or not.   

Right. The bigger concern should ne whether any of the 2% would be low member number 10 clubbers and how much our seniority could improve.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    It IS the flu though.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Why? If its canceled you get a refund. If it isn't, you still have a ticket. They don't cancel shows and keep your money.
    Less hassle to take care of now. I wouldn't go if it does happen. I'm not good with large gatherings of people in a perfect world though.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    YAKIMATSU said:
    mace1229 said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Less hassle to take care of now. I wouldn't go if it does happen. I'm not good with large gatherings of people in a perfect world though.
    It is 130 days away. Over 4 months. 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    I'd be a lot less worried if we had an administration we could trust, but they'll lie because they're more concerned about reversing the dropping stock market than containing this thing.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    there is literally nothing you can other than wrap yourself in a bubble or wait and follow guidelines.  It is not a matter of being okay, it is a virus of the same family of virus as the common cold, it will spread, no matter what.  Also the 2% mortality rate is compromised by the fact that data is fast moving and wait for it... this is a novel virus.  ie it is NEW.  the flash point of fear would be if the mortality rate of those infected was starting to rise and the virus was particularly fast mutating and changing.  Their is no evidence at all of the latter yet.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    At this stage it matters not what anyone THINKS. Only time  can tell.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I’m bringing a Box of P100 fitted masks and rocking out 😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    I wasn’t concerned about the corona virus until yesterday. I think there is a decent chance this could impact the tour. This virus mostly effects people 35+ which is the band and the population attending the show. Not good. 
    Will post my St Louis floor seats on F2F then and see Baby Shark Live instead
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    I’m bringing a Box of P100 fitted masks and rocking out 😂😂😂😂😂😂
    An N95 is just as useful and less intimidating.
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    I'd be a lot less worried if we had an administration we could trust, but they'll lie because they're more concerned about reversing the dropping stock market than containing this thing.
    This!!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited February 2020

Matts3221 said:

I would say there is nothing anyone can do right now and hope this does not become a pandemic , also please note the CDC puts out alerts on anything , same with SARS ( they said be prepared for disruption in the US ) , I am not saying it is not possible but they are also not saying this is certain right now but we should be prepared.

The question in the thread was whether we thought Coronavirus would impact the PJ tour.  One could have asked the same question in 2015 about whether terrorism would impact the band touring in Europe (it did).  It didn't mean anyone thought the concerts were a bigger deal than terrorism (or in this case coronavirus).  Asking the question probably means that you are more concerned about coronavirus versus the "this ain't no big deal, only 10% of the world population is quarantined" crowd. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    They have cancelled the Ireland v Italy rugby game in 2 weeks. St Patrick's day might possibly follow suit. Then we have the Euros too in June July. Who knows what might happen. If it gets worse by summer the tour will be 100% cancelled. Even the slightest risk cannot be taken with Corna. I hope to god its stopped and vaccinated against. The various governments are very worried About 'mass gatherings' of people 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Off topic. The Olympics are probably 50/50 now.
This discussion has been closed.