Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the summer festival circuit wasn't shut down completely.  Simply too many people in too confined of an area.  A couple infected people in one of those crowds could lead to 1000s of cases.  Lots of the festival goers are also travellers making a high risk of transporting it globally.  

I'm not personally freaked about this as it seems to be similar mortality as other bad pandemics, but global leaders are going to be wanted to be seen as proactive in this case as the risk is very real if not taken seriously.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    edited February 2020
    Would you guys say its time to crack each other’s heads open and feast on the goo inside?
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,795
    It's almost as if there wasn't a novel virus pandemic a decade ago. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,423
    I don't really remember this many people being this worked up over SARS, MERS, bird flu, swine flu, etc.  I did have a stroke in 2017 and my memory can be clouded sometimes but I really don't recall this much hysteria.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    I don't really remember this many people being this worked up over SARS, MERS, bird flu, swine flu, etc.  I did have a stroke in 2017 and my memory can be clouded sometimes but I really don't recall this much hysteria.
    Did those spread as quickly though? I 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,552
    The prep for this reminds me of people buying plastic sheeting and duct tape to keep the anthrax out after 9/11.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,795
    mace1229 said:
    novel H1N1 was basically in community transmission before they even knew it existed. It was everywhere.   And it was doing almost exactly the opposite of what this novel corona is doing.  Novel H1N1 showed no real discriminatory targeting, severe to critical cases were not restricted to high indices of elderly people, or those with underlying conditions.  

Thus far all the data for COVID implies it is harshly discriminatory.   

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 624
    edited February 2020
    Ben Harper just canceled his Japan tour.

Green Day too.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,506
    matt84 said:
    Ben Harper just canceled his Japan tour.

Green Day too.
    If Japan has canceled school for awhile that seems logical
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    Everyday that goes by we are creeping closer to spring/summer months and the numbers in NA are looking very good right now for the tour and our health. This is a fluid situation that changes by the day. Right now I am confident the tour is going to be a go but if the news flips as it could at any minute that tune would obviously change. Also Canada and the US are massive countries land wise. If something is going on in Vancouver or Miami that in no way should affect the tour imo. If they shut down shows they should be done on a city to city basis imo. 

As for the Europe tour I would not use what they are doing right now and think that will in anyway be a predictor for the summer tour. If anything precautionary measures being made today bode well for a tour in the summer minimizing the spread of the virus and hopefully make for a quicker recovery in the coming months. 

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,643
    United canceled my japan flights. Sucks. Hope I get to see pj in April at least. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    A second case in California of someone getting under unknown reasons.  Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this tour ends up getting  canceled, but I really hope not!!
  • Options
    If they cancel, they better be prompt. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    If they cancel, let’s hope it’s just a postponement and all tickets will be valid for new dates.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    This virus could become a pandemic.  I hope to God it doesn't but it certainly has the potential.  Pandemics spread and kill people all over the world.  The idea is to get ahead of it, if it shows the potential to become a pandemic, steps need to be taken.  If that means, limiting air travel, stopping large groups of people getting together (concerts, sporting events) from gathering, that's what it takes.  Your desire to see PJ does not override the safety of people.  Look up the history of pandemics.  It's not pretty.  I have tickets to both LA shows.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if those plans have to be cancelled.  I'm an optimistic person, but I'm not messing with a pandemic.  For those who say it's like the flu, do you realize how many people every year die from the flu???  And this is a new strain of the virus.  Don't dismiss it.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    mace1229 said:

Do they look worried?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Do they look worried?
    I was there.  It was after the outbreak, if memory serves, not during.  Midsummer.  And AC/DC stole the show.

10 points if anyone can spot me in the crowd.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    It is my fault guys. I already put the pins for this tour in my push pin map.  Jinxed it!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    Forget the science.  The reaction is what will dictate the tour.
  • Options
    The issue today is that we have the ability to prevent transmission.  The influenza flu pandemic 1918 killed an estimated 50+ million people world wide.  A few reasons this was so widespread was because of lack of knowledge.  People in Chicago had more knowledge of the sickness than say people in Philadelphia.  So there was no panic in Philadelphia when they threw a huge parade.  A large group of people, in close contact, during a pandemic.  Look up the numbers for Philly during that time.  News didn't travel so fast back then.  Obviously today, prevention efforts and knowledge is readily available.  It would be wise to use those tools.  
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    The UK is on record that if it gets bad they will Basically shut the country down for 2 months. 

No schools
    No gatherings 
    No offices (work remotely?)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/uk-two-more-patients-in-england-test-positive-for-coronavirus

-----

ABOUT THIS THREAD: 

I have been trying to point out the significance of this virus for a while now. I get why some folks mock it. They don't understand it and they don't want to. They want to see Pearl Jam. 

I want to see Pearl Jam too. I have ~$4k invested in international air fare, hotels, trains. I have the best seats I've ever had for 4 shows (including two GA shows). I REALLY want these shows to happen. I'm willing to show up in goggles and a mask and rock out if needed. 

THAT SAID: I felt it was prudent to try to raise awareness to discuss the possibility this event could interrupt some or all shows. I'm glad some folks understood that initially and I'm glad even more do now. 

You holdouts, I ain't mad at ya. 

Let's all just Keep our fingers crossed this tapers off, stays chill, and THE SHOWS GO ON! 🤘🏼
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    The issue today is that we have the ability to prevent transmission.  The influenza flu pandemic 1918 killed an estimated 50+ million people world wide.  A few reasons this was so widespread was because of lack of knowledge.  People in Chicago had more knowledge of the sickness than say people in Philadelphia.  So there was no panic in Philadelphia when they threw a huge parade.  A large group of people, in close contact, during a pandemic.  Look up the numbers for Philly during that time.  News didn't travel so fast back then.  Obviously today, prevention efforts and knowledge is readily available.  It would be wise to use those tools.  
    Bingo. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2020
    Positive tests are going to flow in this next week :(. ..... now that the CDC is actually starting to do their jobs. 

Positives in an Oregon elementary school ( staff) , two in WA including a Seattle children's hospital, 700 people in quarantine in MA, possible case in Brooklyn released without testing..... 

Mistakes like this by the CDC are what is going to cause this to become a full blown epidemic here:

https://abc7ny.com/5974999/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

ugh... 
    Post edited by mattsavard on

• Options
    to suggest that Americans turn off their TVs and bury their heads in the sand when they're worried about a global health pandemic is Orwellian, counterproductive, dangerous, and would be repeating China's mistake,"
  • Options
    The whole world will be different soon. 
    If people dont want to look at this. More fool them.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    In positive news if China's numbers are correct their numbers have started to swing the other way. Hopefully South Korea and Italy can get there as well and China remains on this course. Long term this is the news we want to be hearing. 

• Options
    LinhasportLinhasport Porto - Portugal Posts: 61
    let´s see what goes on in the next weeks to come, in italy i think things are going crazy, but i can´t confirm that
  • Options
    Triberjay25Triberjay25 Detroit Posts: 115

THAT SAID: I felt it was prudent to try to raise awareness to discuss the possibility this event could interrupt some or all shows. I'm glad some folks understood that initially and I'm glad even more do now. 

You holdouts, I ain't mad at ya. 

Let's all just Keep our fingers crossed this tapers off, stays chill, and THE SHOWS GO ON! 🤘🏼
    Agreed, I think the main problem lies within the testing as many people are being checked when they have "symptoms" that are just that of a common cold or the flu.  And I am not downplaying the severity of the matter of it whatsoever, it's good that the precautions are being taken, it's a situation that none of us have faced ever.  I have tickets to Toronto and Los Angeles which is sandwiched in between of tickets to both weekends of Coachella.  People there don't know what to think/do, I'm pretty much content to the cards will fall where they may, just hoping for a good outcome and preferably a few weeks heads up on if the events will take place.  Okeechobee Music Festival is set to take place next weekend in Florida and Ultra Music Festival is in Miami 2 days after Pearl Jam's tour is set to kick off, those events should give an indication on where we are heading (forgot to mention the effect that NCAA March Madness  could play into all of this).  Come April, if Coachella is cancelled I would assume we would be at the point that the Masters were as well plus any concerts including the NBA Playoffs.
    03/20/94 - Ann Arbor
    09/22/96 - Toledo
    10/16/14 - Detroit
    09/26/21 - Dana Point
    10/01/21 - Dana Point
    10/02/21 - Dana Point
    05/06/22 - Los Angeles
    05/07/22 - Los Angeles 
    07/03/22 - Stockholm
    07/05/22 - Copenhagen
    09/08/22 - Toronto 
    09/16/22 - Nashville
    09/18/22 - St. Louis
    09/20/22 - OKC
    09/05/23 - Chicago 
    09/07/23 - Chicago 
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 675
    edited February 2020
    "Hoax". 
    This is why we are in a much worse position than we ever should be. Testing is what other countries are doing, London has a drive thru test site, not the US.  Questioning why we have so few tests for a pandemic, but we have a space force and are increasing  nukes is legitimate.  Priorities and logic are currently fucked and true knowledge is ridiculed. How can we be confident that this will be handled in an organized and safe manner?
This discussion has been closed.