Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    I'm just surprised that Pence hasn't prayed the virus away yet since he was put in charge. Figured we'd be on easy street by now.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    The 2009 Swine Flu pandemic peaked at 110000 cases here in the UK in July of that year and then peaked again at 80,000 cases in October. Nothing was cancelled, sporting events, festivals or anything of the like. Life went on without the mass hysteria that is surrounding this current virus.
    the MAIN difference in this country is different administrations in charge.....current admin has NO clue about how to manage this and the Obama admin had a cohesive plan.
    What needs to be done to "manage this" and what "cohesive plan" should be put into place? Very easy to point fingers.
    We knew this was coming for 2 months.  They should have started mass producing tests in January.  There is no excuse for where we are with tests today.
    The tests are only effective for the people that take them.  83% infected with the virus don't even seek medical attention.  What good is a test for the majority of folks that will treat this as a respiratory illness and not even consider being tested? 
    If they aren't tested, how do we have know they had it? This doesn't make sense.
    You can have all types of illnesses that go untested.  You do not have to go to a doctor to make an illness official.  What I was trying to state was that people will treat this as an illness on their own (not knowing it is corona and hence will not be tested).
    And what we are saying is that if we don't know how many people are infected we cannot determine how many 83% even is, nevermind what they may or may not do. 
    These are all fluid numbers and many are estimates as there is a large population that may be affected and never be reported.  Bottom line is there is no reason to stop living or cancelling events.  If you think postponements and cancellations should occur, then why have they not happened for a bigger epidemic (FLU)?  

Source CDC:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S.
    I think tossing out random stats that cannot be verified is reckless. That's my point. We have no idea how many people 83% is, will be, where they are, who they are, etc. Pretending otherwise serves no purpose other than to misinform. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,948
    mace1229 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    The 2009 Swine Flu pandemic peaked at 110000 cases here in the UK in July of that year and then peaked again at 80,000 cases in October. Nothing was cancelled, sporting events, festivals or anything of the like. Life went on without the mass hysteria that is surrounding this current virus.
    the MAIN difference in this country is different administrations in charge.....current admin has NO clue about how to manage this and the Obama admin had a cohesive plan.
    What needs to be done to "manage this" and what "cohesive plan" should be put into place? Very easy to point fingers.
    We knew this was coming for 2 months.  They should have started mass producing tests in January.  There is no excuse for where we are with tests today.
    The tests are only effective for the people that take them.  83% infected with the virus don't even seek medical attention.  What good is a test for the majority of folks that will treat this as a respiratory illness and not even consider being tested? 
    Last week my entire house fell ill with 3 of the 4 people in my house had a ever above 102 with some respiratory effects, along with other flu like symptoms. I went to the dr twice over a 3 day period, my wife went in twice, each of our kids went in at least once. None of us were ever tested. I was kind of surprised. I highly doubted I had corona, but for being as paranoid as everyone says, I thought we would have been tested.
    Now if I was 99% I didnt have it, that 1% getting untested is who is going to end up spreading it the most
    I'm pretty sure that I read that they won't test you unless you had direct contact with other infected people/places.  
  • Options
    PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 184
    mace1229 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    Last week my entire house fell ill with 3 of the 4 people in my house had a ever above 102 with some respiratory effects, along with other flu like symptoms. I went to the dr twice over a 3 day period, my wife went in twice, each of our kids went in at least once. None of us were ever tested. I was kind of surprised. I highly doubted I had corona, but for being as paranoid as everyone says, I thought we would have been tested.
    Now if I was 99% I didnt have it, that 1% getting untested is who is going to end up spreading it the most
    So you are saying you went to a Doctor.....were not tested for COVID-19......had the flu......that there is no antibiotic for....and you are alive to talk about it? Amazing. 
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, Bristow, VA, Scranton
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    22 - LA 1 & LA 2, Hamilton, ON, Toronto, Nashville, TN
    23 - Ft. Worth 1 & Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1 & Austin 2
  • Options
    scotterbsscotterbs Posts: 32
    PJ N DC said:

These are all fluid numbers and many are estimates as there is a large population that may be affected and never be reported.  Bottom line is there is no reason to stop living or cancelling events.  If you think postponements and cancellations should occur, then why have they not happened for a bigger epidemic (FLU)?  

Source CDC:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S.
    This.Has.Nothing.To.Do.With.Influenza. Apples and oranges. JFC.

Come on Giant Meteor 2020! 
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    scotterbs said:
    The only way they're cancelling shows Is if the city or venue cancels ALL of the shows/events for that city or venue.  

Can't rule out if someone in the band or crew falls ill. A lot of them are coming from Washington.
    right but it's the flu....you get over it after a few days
    Please stop spreading this ignorance. 
    Agree....  When was Northern Italy ever shutdown from just normal FLU? 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    JBob87 said:
    So much misinformation on here...

The big issue as I understand it is that a LOT of cases are requiring hospitalization and that cuts across ages. The death rate is low right now (excluding those at higher risk for a minute) at least in part because the severe cases requiring hospitalization are getting effective treatment.

The one potential caveat being that if a huge spike in infections were to occur it could cause a run on the medical system and the mortality rate could change based on not having enough timely care available for those severe cases. This is the reason why community spread is such a big issues and quarantines are being implemented...if you can slow the rate of new infections it eases the burden on local medical systems. 

I would expect this would be decided on a case by case basis but given the amount of national/international travelers at a PJ show I don’t see why it would be much different from a big conference or festival. I would not be surprised if news comes out this week about postponements. Hope I’m wrong.
    This, exactly. A spike overruns hospitals. Quarantines/cancelations, etc will help slow the spread, which will save lives. Unless this thing stops or slows drastically, there is no way any concert in the coming weeks goes on as scheduled. It's unconscionable. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    If they aren't tested, how do we have know they had it? This doesn't make sense.
    You can have all types of illnesses that go untested.  You do not have to go to a doctor to make an illness official.  What I was trying to state was that people will treat this as an illness on their own (not knowing it is corona and hence will not be tested).
    And what we are saying is that if we don't know how many people are infected we cannot determine how many 83% even is, nevermind what they may or may not do. 

Source CDC:
    I think tossing out random stats that cannot be verified is reckless. That's my point. We have no idea how many people 83% is, will be, where they are, who they are, etc. Pretending otherwise serves no purpose other than to misinform. 
    Not a random stat.......why aren't all public activities being postponed due to the Flu?  Why isn't the media covering the Flu? Where is the thread on the board because of the Flu?

Source CDC:
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    mace1229 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    I'm pretty sure that I read that they won't test you unless you had direct contact with other infected people/places.  
    Yes, but if "they" really want to get ahead and this is as serious as the media is portraying, shouldn't they be testing everyone? Its the community spread that is going to be most dangerous from people who don't know they even have it.
  • Options
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:
    Not a random stat.......why aren't all public activities being postponed due to the Flu?  Why isn't the media covering the Flu? Where is the thread on the board because of the Flu?

Source CDC:
    You are trying to deflect. How many is 83% Who and where are they? Check back with your source and let us know. 

• Options
    edited March 2020
    My Corona(virus)....sung to the tune of My Sharona
    Hey! You're off track! Are we now branching into ALL bands? lol
    haha... You're gonna have to explain it in a simpler way. Maybe put it on a red hat?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    I went on a cruise a couple weeks ago.  It was great.
    Things people never say? 
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    scotterbs said:
    PJ N DC said:

Source CDC:

They are not the same.  You are right.  The Flu is significantly more dangerous and more of a concern in the U.S.
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    edited March 2020
    BS44325 said:
    JBob87 said:

The big issue as I understand it is that a LOT of cases are requiring hospitalization and that cuts across ages. The death rate is low right now (excluding those at higher risk for a minute) at least in part because the severe cases requiring hospitalization are getting effective treatment.

The one potential caveat being that if a huge spike in infections were to occur it could cause a run on the medical system and the mortality rate could change based on not having enough timely care available for those severe cases. This is the reason why community spread is such a big issues and quarantines are being implemented...if you can slow the rate of new infections it eases the burden on local medical systems. 

I would expect this would be decided on a case by case basis but given the amount of national/international travelers at a PJ show I don’t see why it would be much different from a big conference or festival. I would not be surprised if news comes out this week about postponements. Hope I’m wrong.
    This is exactly it. The band will also have to strongly consider whether they want to cross the border into Canada next week. It's not that the risk of exposure is high..in fact it's quite low...but the risk of getting stuck in a quarantine on the wrong side of the border is a real one. This goes for any of us who are considering travelling "internationally".
    Canada - as a nation - has reacted far more responsibly than the US so far. Health experts - not politicians - are the ones front and centre speaking. Far more testing happening north of the border than south.

Pearl Jam might decide to bring their entire families and STAY in Canada for a couple months! ;)
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sundays, Fridays, Tuesdays, Thursday, the same
    Sometimes the special guest, he don't like to leave
    Already...infected...
    Already...infected...
    Already...infected...

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PeterED said:
    BS44325 said:
    JBob87 said:

This is exactly it. The band will also have to strongly consider whether they want to cross the border into Canada next week. It's not that the risk of exposure is high..in fact it's quite low...but the risk of getting stuck in a quarantine on the wrong side of the border is a real one. This goes for any of us who are considering travelling "internationally".
    Canada - as a nation - has reacted far more responsibly than the US so far. Health experts - not politicians - are the ones front and centre speaking. Far more testing happening north of the border than south.

Pearl Jam might decide to bring their entire families and STAY in Canada for a couple months! ;)
    That would be pretty irresponsible of them.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    You are trying to deflect. How many is 83% Who and where are they? Check back with your source and let us know. 
    Not trying to deflect at all.  Please explain to me why you are not more concerned with a virus that has 15 million reported cases and 8,200 reported deaths in the US??? Where the CV has 580 reported cases and 22 reported deaths in the US.  The numbers don't lie and the media is at fault. 
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    401k can't touch the bottom
    In too deep, yeah
    Uh-huh, can't touch the bottom 
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    PJ N DC said:
    scotterbs said:
    PJ N DC said:

Source CDC:

They are not the same.  You are right.  The Flu is significantly more dangerous and more of a concern in the U.S.
    I would partially agree. I've been saying for a week I dont get the hysteria over this. It will not impact us as much as the flu does every year. Yes, people have died, but it would have to be 1000 times worse to match the flu. 
    But we don't really know how dangerous corona is yet.  agree the flu should be more of a concern. If people are seriously talking about canceling events and avoiding the public over a few hundred, maybe even a few thousand who get this then we should be closing everything for the 20 million who get the flu and 20,000 who die from it. If this reaction for corona is justified, then we should just shut down the country from November -April every year for the flu.
  • Options
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    Not trying to deflect at all.  Please explain to me why you are not more concerned with a virus that has 15 million reported cases and 8,200 reported deaths in the US??? Where the CV has 580 reported cases and 22 reported deaths in the US.  The numbers don't lie and the media is at fault. 
    You are arguing a point that I didn't make while refusing to address the question I have asked you repeatedly. How many people is 83%?

• Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,012
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    I’m not on either side here but use the CV death rate for 15 million people and it becomes much more of a concern
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I went on a cruise a couple weeks ago.  It was great.
    Things people never say? 
    hilarious 
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    scotterbs said:
    PJ N DC said:

Source CDC:

I would partially agree. I've been saying for a week I dont get the hysteria over this. It will not impact us as much as the flu does every year. Yes, people have died, but it would have to be 1000 times worse to match the flu. 
    But we don't really know how dangerous corona is yet.  agree the flu should be more of a concern. If people are seriously talking about canceling events and avoiding the public over a few hundred, maybe even a few thousand who get this then we should be closing everything for the 20 million who get the flu and 20,000 who die from it. If this reaction for corona is justified, then we should just shut down the country from November -April every year for the flu.
    Thank you for looking at this in a rational manner. The hysteria has outweighed common sense.
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    Don 't know about you, but I can't remember anyone ever closing off large areas like Northern Italy over normal seasonal flu.

The "normal flu" isn't even a thing. The flu deaths you read about are from various viral infections, not just one bug.. Most of those flu bugs, for lack of better name, are known. Humans have be exposed over the years. Human bodies have built anti-bodies to these various bugs. This Virus is not one of those. It is new. It has never been passed through humans.   

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,375
    Poncier said:
    Sweet Flu (is so much less scary than Covid 19)
    Not really, my city had more people die from flu this year than last....57 compared to 30 last year at this time. 
    And STILL people don't get flu shots
    Didn't say less lethal, just less scary...folks don't buy 300 rolls of toilet paper when they hear about the flu on the news. This thing has created a surreal panic
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    So many people here, without an ounce of knowledge or expertise, making comments about what should or shouldn't be done. Incredible. 
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I'm just surprised that Pence hasn't prayed the virus away yet since he was put in charge. Figured we'd be on easy street by now.
    LOL
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So many people here, without an ounce of knowledge or expertise, making comments about what should or shouldn't be done. Incredible. 
    So we have to be an expert to listen to facts and come up with our own opinion? If thats the case then only politicians should be allowed to vote.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,375
    I'm sure Mother has helped him find guidance on how to eradicate it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    This was fun for a while, but the misinformation is alarming. Opinions are opinions. Look at the facts:

- Spread to over 100 countries
    - Infected over 100,000 people
    - 16 million people in Italy are under quarantine. 366 have died with 133 in one day
    - Washington state has spent 4 million dollars to buy a motel for patients. Hospitals are overrun
    - There are over 550 known cases is the US, 22 have died
    - Football games are being played in empty stadiums
    - St. Patrick's day parades cancelled in Ireland
    - 142 cases in NY state
    - The doubling time for infections is estimated to be 4 days (How long it takes for the amount of people infected to double in a region)
    - The USA has the 8th most cases in the world

This discussion has been closed.