• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    The 2009 Swine Flu pandemic peaked at 110000 cases here in the UK in July of that year and then peaked again at 80,000 cases in October. Nothing was cancelled, sporting events, festivals or anything of the like. Life went on without the mass hysteria that is surrounding this current virus.
    the MAIN difference in this country is different administrations in charge.....current admin has NO clue about how to manage this and the Obama admin had a cohesive plan.
    What needs to be done to "manage this" and what "cohesive plan" should be put into place? Very easy to point fingers.
    We knew this was coming for 2 months.  They should have started mass producing tests in January.  There is no excuse for where we are with tests today.
    The tests are only effective for the people that take them.  83% infected with the virus don't even seek medical attention.  What good is a test for the majority of folks that will treat this as a respiratory illness and not even consider being tested? 
    Last week my entire house fell ill with 3 of the 4 people in my house had a ever above 102 with some respiratory effects, along with other flu like symptoms. I went to the dr twice over a 3 day period, my wife went in twice, each of our kids went in at least once. None of us were ever tested. I was kind of surprised. I highly doubted I had corona, but for being as paranoid as everyone says, I thought we would have been tested.
    Now if I was 99% I didnt have it, that 1% getting untested is who is going to end up spreading it the most
    I'm pretty sure that I read that they won't test you unless you had direct contact with other infected people/places.  
    Yes, but if "they" really want to get ahead and this is as serious as the media is portraying, shouldn't they be testing everyone? Its the community spread that is going to be most dangerous from people who don't know they even have it.
    How? The US dropped the ball on this early on, wouldn't accept WHO assistance early on, and we're behind the virus and trying to catch up. We can test for the flu at any grocery store pharmacy these days. We can get antiviral treatments for the flu. But we have no capacity to do the same level of testing for COVID-19. They were only testing those who had direct contact with travels from Wuhan for a while. Then they were only testing those in high-risk categories exhibiting severe symptoms. Now that is finally being relaxed a bit, and labs are working like crazy to produce enough test kits to meet demand. We are a way away from being able to test anyone who walks into the Dr. with flu like symptoms. They'll be tested for influenza, but not for COVID-19 currently. So to answer your question - yes, they should be testing everyone who goes to the Dr. with symptoms right now. But they can't because of the guy you voted for for president. At some point we'll be able to.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 184
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    The 2009 Swine Flu pandemic peaked at 110000 cases here in the UK in July of that year and then peaked again at 80,000 cases in October. Nothing was cancelled, sporting events, festivals or anything of the like. Life went on without the mass hysteria that is surrounding this current virus.
    the MAIN difference in this country is different administrations in charge.....current admin has NO clue about how to manage this and the Obama admin had a cohesive plan.
    What needs to be done to "manage this" and what "cohesive plan" should be put into place? Very easy to point fingers.
    We knew this was coming for 2 months.  They should have started mass producing tests in January.  There is no excuse for where we are with tests today.
    The tests are only effective for the people that take them.  83% infected with the virus don't even seek medical attention.  What good is a test for the majority of folks that will treat this as a respiratory illness and not even consider being tested? 
    If they aren't tested, how do we have know they had it? This doesn't make sense.
    You can have all types of illnesses that go untested.  You do not have to go to a doctor to make an illness official.  What I was trying to state was that people will treat this as an illness on their own (not knowing it is corona and hence will not be tested).
    And what we are saying is that if we don't know how many people are infected we cannot determine how many 83% even is, nevermind what they may or may not do. 
    These are all fluid numbers and many are estimates as there is a large population that may be affected and never be reported.  Bottom line is there is no reason to stop living or cancelling events.  If you think postponements and cancellations should occur, then why have they not happened for a bigger epidemic (FLU)?  

Source CDC:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S.
    I think tossing out random stats that cannot be verified is reckless. That's my point. We have no idea how many people 83% is, will be, where they are, who they are, etc. Pretending otherwise serves no purpose other than to misinform. 
    Not a random stat.......why aren't all public activities being postponed due to the Flu?  Why isn't the media covering the Flu? Where is the thread on the board because of the Flu?

Source CDC:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S.
    You are trying to deflect. How many is 83% Who and where are they? Check back with your source and let us know. 
    Not trying to deflect at all.  Please explain to me why you are not more concerned with a virus that has 15 million reported cases and 8,200 reported deaths in the US??? Where the CV has 580 reported cases and 22 reported deaths in the US.  The numbers don't lie and the media is at fault. 
    You are arguing a point that I didn't make while refusing to address the question I have asked you repeatedly. How many people is 83%?
    Here is your answer...83% of the 105,860 reported globally is 87,863. These 87,863 did not require any medical attention after diagnosis.  This was the factual numbers the doctor used in his report. Now that I answered your question are you going to start a Flu thread asking for isolation, nationwide testing, cancellations, etc.??
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, Bristow, VA, Scranton
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    22 - LA 1 & LA 2, Hamilton, ON, Toronto, Nashville, TN
    23 - Ft. Worth 1 & Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1 & Austin 2
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    PJ N DC said:
    scotterbs said:
    PJ N DC said:

These are all fluid numbers and many are estimates as there is a large population that may be affected and never be reported.  Bottom line is there is no reason to stop living or cancelling events.  If you think postponements and cancellations should occur, then why have they not happened for a bigger epidemic (FLU)?  

Source CDC:
    This.Has.Nothing.To.Do.With.Influenza. Apples and oranges. JFC.

Come on Giant Meteor 2020! 
    They are not the same.  You are right.  The Flu is significantly more dangerous and more of a concern in the U.S.
    If it's no concern to you what-so-ever, then I know a Nursing Home in Kirkland Washington that you could volunteer at...
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,048
    This was fun for a while, but the misinformation is alarming. Opinions are opinions. Look at the facts:

- Spread to over 100 countries
    - Infected over 100,000 people
    - 16 million people in Italy are under quarantine. 366 have died with 133 in one day
    - Washington state has spent 4 million dollars to buy a motel for patients. Hospitals are overrun
    - There are over 550 known cases is the US, 22 have died
    - Football games are being played in empty stadiums
    - St. Patrick's day parades cancelled in Ireland
    - 142 cases in NY state
    - The doubling time for infections is estimated to be 4 days (How long it takes for the amount of people infected to double in a region)
    - The USA has the 8th most cases in the world

Nobody is arguing those facts. What has been said by a few, and I agree, is why all this when we essentially ignore the flu year after year? The flue infects 20 million just in USA, and 20,000 die just in this country. I doubt the worldwide effects of corona will even match what the flu does just in 1 country every year. That is why I don't get the hysteria. If you think playing in empty stadiums and cancelling shows are justified, then how do you not justify it every year for the flu that infects 20 million people?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    This was fun for a while, but the misinformation is alarming. Opinions are opinions. Look at the facts:

- 16 million people in Italy are under quarantine. 366 have died with 133 in one day
    - Washington state has spent 4 million dollars to buy a motel for patients. Hospitals are overrun
    - 142 cases in NY state
    - The doubling time for infections is estimated to be 4 days (How long it takes for the amount of people infected to double in a region)

Nobody is arguing those facts. What has been said by a few, and I agree, is why all this when we essentially ignore the flu year after year? The flue infects 20 million just in USA, and 20,000 die just in this country. I doubt the worldwide effects of corona will even match what the flu does just in 1 country every year. That is why I don't get the hysteria. If you think playing in empty stadiums and cancelling shows are justified, then how do you not justify it every year for the flu that infects 20 million people?
    Bingo!
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    mace1229 said:

- 142 cases in NY state

Because hospitals cannot handle 20 million people with flu and 20 million people with this as well.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,998
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:
    If they aren't tested, how do we have know they had it? This doesn't make sense.
    You can have all types of illnesses that go untested.  You do not have to go to a doctor to make an illness official.  What I was trying to state was that people will treat this as an illness on their own (not knowing it is corona and hence will not be tested).
    And what we are saying is that if we don't know how many people are infected we cannot determine how many 83% even is, nevermind what they may or may not do. 

Source CDC:
    I think tossing out random stats that cannot be verified is reckless. That's my point. We have no idea how many people 83% is, will be, where they are, who they are, etc. Pretending otherwise serves no purpose other than to misinform. 
    Not a random stat.......why aren't all public activities being postponed due to the Flu?  Why isn't the media covering the Flu? Where is the thread on the board because of the Flu?

Source CDC:
    You are trying to deflect. How many is 83% Who and where are they? Check back with your source and let us know. 
    Not trying to deflect at all.  Please explain to me why you are not more concerned with a virus that has 15 million reported cases and 8,200 reported deaths in the US??? Where the CV has 580 reported cases and 22 reported deaths in the US.  The numbers don't lie and the media is at fault. 
    You are arguing a point that I didn't make while refusing to address the question I have asked you repeatedly. How many people is 83%?
    Here is your answer...83% of the 105,860 reported globally is 87,863. These 87,863 did not require any medical attention after diagnosis.  This was the factual numbers the doctor used in his report. Now that I answered your question are you going to start a Flu thread asking for isolation, nationwide testing, cancellations, etc.??
    We aren't talking about the Flu. We are talking about Corona. How many people is 83% of the infected population? 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

These statements aren't made for normal flu.. 

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Fox News on Sunday

“Don’t go to crowded places, think twice before a long plane trip, and for goodness sake don’t go on any cruises,” Fauci said.

For people who are particularly vulnerable, he said: “Don’t wait for community spread. Now is the time to do social distancing, whether there is spread in your community or not.”

If community spread has already started, as in Seattle, he said, everyone should practice social distancing.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    We aren't talking about the Flu. We are talking about Corona. How many people is 83% of the infected population? 
    I am not sure if you are unable to comprehend or if there is a reading issue. The numbers I provided are CV19 numbers NOT Flu numbers. The answer to your question was; 87,863 confirmed CV19 cases worldwide did not require medical attention.   
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 231
    Cause the flu doesnt kill 3-4% of the infected (the flu kills about 0.1% of the infected)
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

this thread is growing as fast as the virus itself.

Come back 10 minutes later and there will be another 100 comments/posts.

• Options
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    I am not sure if you are unable to comprehend or if there is a reading issue. The numbers I provided are CV19 numbers NOT Flu numbers. The answer to your question was; 87,863 confirmed CV19 cases worldwide did not require medical attention.   
    We barely began testing in the US... do we know the real numbers?

Current - 3/9  - 2pm est
    Confirmed Cases - 111,405
    Deaths - 3,892

• Options
    mace1229 said:

- 142 cases in NY state

Because hospitals cannot handle 20 million people with flu and 20 million people with this as well.
    If we're just worried about total impact, shouldn't we be more concerned about the flu, and began mandatory quaratines for anyone with the flu? Since the flu will almost certainly impact and kill more people?
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    We barely began testing in the US... do we know the real numbers?

Current - 3/9  - 2pm est
    Confirmed Cases - 111,405
    Deaths - 3,892

He was asking for numbers based on a report. Those numbers were provided.
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Joostone said:
    Cause the flu doesnt kill 3-4% of the infected (the flu kills about 0.1% of the infected)
    I don't get why that matters. The flu will infect more and will kill more than the corona virus. It seems to cast a bigger net, even if only 0.1% die from it, you still have a bigger chance of getting sick from the flu and dying from the flu. If I come down with a new rare disease and am the only known case, and I die from it, should that start a world panic because it has 100% fatality rate? Of course not. From all the data we have so far, corona may kill 3%, but it is going infect far less and in the end kill far less people.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    No reason for personal attack..   btw "Recovered" and "Did not require medical attention" are two different things. you can't use the same number.  Obviously some that recovered had medical attention, some did not. 
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    myoung321 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    scotterbs said:
    PJ N DC said:

Source CDC:
    This.Has.Nothing.To.Do.With.Influenza. Apples and oranges. JFC.

Come on Giant Meteor 2020! 
    They are not the same.  You are right.  The Flu is significantly more dangerous and more of a concern in the U.S.
    If it's no concern to you what-so-ever, then I know a Nursing Home in Kirkland Washington that you could volunteer at...
    Exactly. This guy is ridiculous and reckless. We don't have enough info about COVID-19 yet to make such a determination.We don't have sufficient test data in the US because we haven't been able to test in any volume. The virus is JUST now being tested for and tracked. There is no vaccine. There is no antiviral treatment. There is no pattern established or history to look back on with this. It is not the flu, and shouldn't be thought of as the flu. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

- 142 cases in NY state

If we're just worried about total impact, shouldn't we be more concerned about the flu, and began mandatory quaratines for anyone with the flu? Since the flu will almost certainly impact and kill more people?
    No. We have a good idea how the flu will spread and have the hospital space to fight the flu. We know basically what to expect every year. About 10% of covid 19 cases require hospitalization. We simply do not have the time or resources to combat this and the flu.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,648
    the last 2 numbers on here is the scary part.  we simply don't have the resources to care for people that need to be in the hospital that long.  that's why this is different.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Joostone said:
    I don't get why that matters. The flu will infect more and will kill more than the corona virus. It seems to cast a bigger net, even if only 0.1% die from it, you still have a bigger chance of getting sick from the flu and dying from the flu. If I come down with a new rare disease and am the only known case, and I die from it, should that start a world panic because it has 100% fatality rate? Of course not. From all the data we have so far, corona may kill 3%, but it is going infect far less and in the end kill far less people.
    You don't get why? Your own math in that post says way... 3%  If only 1 of 3 of Americans get the virus then that equals 3 million deaths at 3% 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    No reason for personal attack..   btw "Recovered" and "Did not require medical attention" are two different things. you can't use the same number.  Obviously some that recovered had medical attention, some did not. 
    Was not a personal attack. There was clearly a breakdown in communication.  Bottom line is you will stand by your opinion while ignoring the facts and your are entitled to do so. Many like you is the true reason CV19 fear exists. The good news is 17% will drop their tickets on F2F and many will get to go to the shows that do not have tickets. The other 83% (like how I used that number again?) will attend the shows as normal. Amongst the 83% attending the shows will be people creating the CV19 panic on this thread. Hypocrites.
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    10 - Bristow
    14 - St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

- 142 cases in NY state

No. We have a good idea how the flu will spread and have the hospital space to fight the flu. We know basically what to expect every year. About 10% of covid 19 cases require hospitalization. We simply do not have the time or resources to combat this and the flu.
    Keep in mind, Hospitals in the US ran about around 65% ocupancy during normal times... 

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,648
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

- 142 cases in NY state

Keep in mind, Hospitals in the US ran about around 65% ocupancy during normal times... 
    How about isolation and ICU beds?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Joostone said:
    You don't get why? Your own math in that post says way... 3%  If only 1 of 3 of Americans get the virus then that equals 3 million deaths at 3% 
    No it doesn't.
    There is zero indication that the number infected will even come close to 20 million, or that the number died will be close to 20,000.. SO we're talking about corona killing 3% of several thousands infected, or the flu killing 0.1% of 20 million infected. I still consider the flu to be a bigger concern this year.
    Maybe in future seasons corona will spread more, but as far as this year, the flu is the bigger risk.
  • Options
    JJ42005JJ42005 Posts: 119
  • Options
    PJ N DC said:
    myoung321 said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ N DC said:
    PJ N DC said:
    ComeToTX said:
    PJ N DC said:
    sj9966 said:

Source CDC:

Source CDC:
    Was not a personal attack. There was clearly a breakdown in communication.  Bottom line is you will stand by your opinion while ignoring the facts and your are entitled to do so. Many like you is the true reason CV19 fear exists. The good news is 17% will drop their tickets on F2F and many will get to go to the shows that do not have tickets. The other 83% (like how I used that number again?) will attend the shows as normal. Amongst the 83% attending the shows will be people creating the CV19 panic on this thread. Hypocrites.
    First... it wasn't me you were talking to... and come-on saying someone must have a reading comprehension issues is an attack.. \

Sharing info is not panic... ignoring the facts until it's too late leads to panic. So you believe all these world experts on virus' are all panicking by sharing their concern over this virus? 

I mean I know exactly what your'e saying, but you simply can't stick your head in the sand and LA LA LA LA LA LA it way. 

• Options
    ComeToTX said:
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

- 142 cases in NY state

How about isolation and ICU beds?
    Hospitals run at 65% occupancy ...... all beds

• Options
    GR280729GR280729 Posts: 105
    ComeToTX said:
    the last 2 numbers on here is the scary part.  we simply don't have the resources to care for people that need to be in the hospital that long.  that's why this is different.
    Well also  the fact that it stays alive longer outside the body and people can transmit it when they are asymptomatic.  That's what's scary to me.  Well that,  and the whole respiratory failure requiring an ICU bed thing.
  • Options
    scotterbsscotterbs Posts: 32
    Joostone said:
    Cause the flu doesn't kill 3-4% of the infected (the flu kills about 0.1% of the infected)
    PJ N DC, take note^^^. I'll let you do the math, so get your calculator out and plug in what 4% of 29,000,000 infected with flu would be. We'll wait patiently. 

source note for 29M estimated infected in 2019-2020 w/ influenza: https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/flu-cases-near-30-million-in-the-us-cdc-reports

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    This weekend we rock Portland
This discussion has been closed.