Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    mcgruff10 said:
    But if they cancel within 48 hours, don't the union workers still get paid then? Maybe that's why they wait? I have no clue though, just what I've heard.

My concern bigger than a few rock concerts is a Mediterranean cruise that we have booked for early May. It consists of stops in Spain, Italy and France. I get that some canceled PJ concerts would bum some people out, but I've seen them countless times and have never been on the other side of the Atlantic. It's also a lot harder to rebook something that lasts for 9 days as opposed to 3 hours.
    My in laws just canceled their july cruise to Italy and Greece.  The last place I would want to be is on a cruise.  
    My aunt just cancelled a trip to Italy too. I think at this point, unless it's absolutely necessary, you should avoid things like planes and cruise ships.

Of course, this is coming from someone that can't wait to be among thousands of people at the Baltimore PJ show so my advice is irrelevant. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,059
    mcgruff10 said:
    But if they cancel within 48 hours, don't the union workers still get paid then? Maybe that's why they wait? I have no clue though, just what I've heard.

My concern bigger than a few rock concerts is a Mediterranean cruise that we have booked for early May. It consists of stops in Spain, Italy and France. I get that some canceled PJ concerts would bum some people out, but I've seen them countless times and have never been on the other side of the Atlantic. It's also a lot harder to rebook something that lasts for 9 days as opposed to 3 hours.
    My in laws just canceled their july cruise to Italy and Greece.  The last place I would want to be is on a cruise.  
    My aunt just cancelled a trip to Italy too. I think at this point, unless it's absolutely necessary, you should avoid things like planes and cruise ships.

Of course, this is coming from someone that can't wait to be among thousands of people at the Baltimore PJ show so my advice is irrelevant. 
    My thinking is Greece and Italy will always be there....ya know they aren't going anywhere so why not just postpone it? 
    Literally every single one of my friends  in the business world have canceled their domestic and international travel.  Two of my buddies companies are having half their workers work from home.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    My wife and I have a trip already booked and set for France/Italy in May. We paid for the travel insurance so we can get out of it whenever we want, only losing the cost of the insurance. We're not scared of the virus, we're just worried about things being closed for a long time. BUT she had a good point, she said they'll get things figured out sooner than later because they can't afford to have touristy things closed for that long. Fingers crossed that I'm in the Coliseum come May.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My thinking is Greece and Italy will always be there....ya know they aren't going anywhere so why not just postpone it? 
    Literally every single one of my friends  in the business world have canceled their domestic and international travel.  Two of my buddies companies are having half their workers work from home.  

I am looking at booking flights throughout the year, now.  Prices are going down.

You now know someone here who is not cancelling his business travel.  I am wrapping another few trips up (dates/locations/etc) today if all goes as planned. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,521
    I wouldn’t take that cruise if they paid me $1 Million. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,940
    edited March 2020

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I am looking at booking flights throughout the year, now.  Prices are going down.

You now know someone here who is not cancelling his business travel.  I am wrapping another few trips up (dates/locations/etc) today if all goes as planned. 
    I’m flying down to Florida the 21st. Every time I fly I wipe everything down, wear gloves and never use the bathroom. So nothing will change for me. The planes are probably cleaner than ever right now, which is ironic. But at the same time, I don’t have children and I don’t live with an elderly person. If I did, I’d probably cancel. Everyone’s situation is different so any reactive actions should be respected. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    kst said:
    I wouldn’t take that cruise if they paid me $1 Million. 

Normally I would jokingly say that about any cruise.
    However, for a cool $1MM?  Sign me up, tomorrow.

• Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    My company enacted a policy yesterday banning all work-related domestic and international travel. Any personal travel also has to be documented. 

I'm thinking there's an 80% chance the PJ spring tour is cancelled. Check out this rash of bad news over the past 24 hours...
    • Fourth coronavirus patient was at Tool rock concert with thousands of Aucklanders
    • Seattle XFL stadium worker tests positive for coronavirus
    • Apple, Netflix are latest to pull out of SXSW festival
    • ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL CANCELLED AMID CORONAVIRUS CONCERNS IN MIAMI
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    phaqewphaqew Posts: 18
    the same idiots that are downplaying all this will end up standing next to you with the sniffles at MSG or wherever else you may be standing. I cant trust the average shithead to do whats right and stay TF home if they're sick. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m flying down to Florida the 21st. Every time I fly I wipe everything down, wear gloves and never use the bathroom. So nothing will change for me. The planes are probably cleaner than ever right now, which is ironic. But at the same time, I don’t have children and I don’t live with an elderly person. If I did, I’d probably cancel. Everyone’s situation is different so any reactive actions should be respected. 

Agree with you.
  • Options
    Little ItalyLittle Italy Rochester, NY Posts: 404
    PJNB said:
    You guys aware there is a Cornavirus thread in A Moving Train? Don't care where you talk about it myself but plenty of good discussion happening their too. 
    @whoyouare72
    that vid is staged, as are many others-check this out

https://mobile.twitter.com/simonsessingoe/status/1229940017532985345

@pjnb

This is a thread concerning the virus and as it relates to our concerns for attending the tour, the other thread is just generally speaking about news surrounding the virus.

There’s no reason to be upset at this discussion

"he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    phaqew said:
    the same idiots that are downplaying all this will end up standing next to you with the sniffles at MSG or wherever else you may be standing. I cant trust the average shithead to do whats right and stay TF home if they're sick. 
    Great point. As I’m reading this my wife texted me the girl next to her has a fever. I said report her! Wtf is wrong with people. I’m not downplaying it but I am in the middle. Prepared, but not ready to stock up on toilet paper and barricade myself in my house. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,059
    phaqew said:
    God this is so damn accurate.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,002
    When this thread first started I thought the idea that the virus would impact the spring tour was ridiculous. Now I expect to hear that it will be cancelled at anytime. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,666
    Oddly enough, Jimmy, one of my kids just flew to Boston this morning.   Nearly empty plane and Logan was empty like you said.  So weird. 
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414

I feel you. My cousin who is getting married this weekend had to cancel his honeymoon. It was to Italy. Sucks. 
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by guitar101 on
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    guitar101 said:
    phaqew said:

You expect people to stay home if they have the sniffles?
    Absolutely man. Sure, we should not sensationalize the dangers, but downplaying the dangers could have serious consequences for you and others. Don't be ignorant!!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,869
    PJ and communication are not good buddies, sadly.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by guitar101 on
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,521
    Johns Hopkins university, host of some of the div 3 tourney, in Baltimore, has banned fans from attending games this weekend.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    sxwxgirl1sxwxgirl1 Posts: 63
    edited March 2020
    As I pointed out earlier, My Daughters and I are scheduled to go in Ottawa.  My Husband (not a PJ fan) is not.  That being said, he has stage 3 COPD (under 60, yah it sucks).  If he gets this virus, he will die.  Even before Covid 19, we have to take extra protective measures to ensure we do not get him sick.  There will be PJ fans from all over, maybe from highly infected zones, some not, but it only takes one person infected that can literally kill someone who is medically compromised.   Will I be sitting next to the person who may have it, or carrying it, probably not, but you just do not know because we do not know enough about the virus or it's mutations yet.  Compound this with the fact we can not even get the necessary protections that we normally have on hand (masks, hand sanitizer, etc as they are sold out even for compromised folks) it is playing roulette with his life.  I love PJ with all my heart, but I love my Husband more, my Daughter's love their Dad more.  The company my Daughter works for just cancelled their trip to Japan, she was relieved they made the decision for her.   This disease sucks, I get some folks think it will not affect them and "carrying on as usual", it may though deeply affect those you may even have the most casual passing contact with.   I just wish PJ would say something or acknowledge some of these concerns. even just to calm fears and anxiety. BTW very hard to control droplets at a large concert gathering, if not impossible, someone is bound to sneeze, cough whatever.  Unless we are all completely bubble wrapped from head to toe and decontaminated before we leave. Don't hate on me because I have concerns please...TY    
    Post edited by sxwxgirl1 on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    This sucks. 
  • Options
    KB82926KB82926 Posts: 60
    Spring tour becomes the rumored Fall tour?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,811
    mcgruff10 said:

I have canceled my hotel to Italy in May..but still have hope that things will calm down..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    kst said:
    Johns Hopkins university, host of some of the div 3 tourney, in Baltimore, has banned fans from attending games this weekend.
    I am jumping headlong out of my office window if they cancel this fucking Baltimore show.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    sxwxgirl1 said:
    As I pointed out earlier, My Daughters and I are scheduled to go in Ottawa.  My Husband (not a PJ fan) is not.  That being said, he has stage 3 COPD (under 60, yah it sucks).  If he gets this virus, he will die.  Even before Covid 19, we have to take extra protective measures to ensure we do not get him sick.  There will be PJ fans from all over, maybe from highly infected zones, some not, but it only takes one person infected that can literally kill someone who is medically compromised.   Will I be sitting next to the person who may have it, or carrying it, probably not, but you just do not know because we do not know enough about the virus or it's mutations yet.  Compound this with the fact we can not even get the necessary protections that we normally have on hand (masks, hand sanitizer, etc as they are sold out even for compromised folks) it is playing roulette with his life.  I love PJ with all my heart, but I love my Husband more, my Daughter's love their Dad more.  The company my Daughter works for just cancelled their trip to Japan, she was relieved they made the decision for her.   This disease sucks, I get some folks think it will not affect them and "carrying on as usual", it may though deeply affect those you may even have the most casual passing contact with.   I just wish PJ would say something or acknowledge some of these concerns. even just to calm fears and anxiety. BTW very hard to control droplets at a large concert gathering, if not impossible, someone is bound to sneeze, cough whatever.  Unless we are all completely bubble wrapped from head to toe and decontaminated before we leave. Don't hate on me because I have concerns please...TY    
    I’m so sorry to hear all this. It’s very upsetting to know that you can’t get basic stuff while people who don’t need it are either hoarding  it or flipping it on eBay. May I ask , do you live in Ottawa? 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,949
    JimmyV said:
    When this thread first started I thought the idea that the virus would impact the spring tour was ridiculous. Now I expect to hear that it will be cancelled at anytime. 
    Agreed.  I think the question would be is it a postponement or a cancellation?  I don't want to see it happen, but if so I'd love to hear them say that they were cancelling the spring tour but will honor tickets in the fall, or something like that.  A logistical nightmare, I'm sure.  
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,002
    sxwxgirl1 said:
    Is there anything Pearl Jam could say, other than "the tour is cancelled?"

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.