Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    BagCzechBagCzech Posts: 418
    2 events that i was planning on going to for work, 1 in boston next week, and another in vegas later this month were both cancelled/postponed. i'm also scheduled to go to SXSW next friday. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited March 2020
    My thing is that if this becomes a global pandemic that can't be stopped is that they might as well just let these events go on as planned.

If we're all gonna get sick and die anyway, that what difference does it make if it happens at home under the sheets or rocking out to PJ?

Fuck it, if we're all going out let's go out partying our asses off!
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,742
    Everything was just canceled 
    that isn't funny
    At the local zoo here. Crazy. Can animals get this?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    I do business with a lot of physicians.  I have asked opinions of 4 of them in the last couple of days.  They all echo the same thing.

1. We don’t know enough about this virus yet. 
    2.  Because we don’t know enough, taking precautions is wise.
    3.  Live your life, but if you don’t have to travel or be in mass gatherings, try to avoid it until more is known.

These are comments from highly skilled physicians that are more qualified than most of us who post here (myself included).  For those on extreme ends of the spectrum (i.e. the virus is a nothingburger or the world is ending), feel free to remain there, but I’ll be somewhere in the middle until medical professionals state otherwise. Let’s hope the shows are uninterrupted and everyone remains healthy and safe. ✌🏻 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,532
    Would have been nice if 80% of the CDC hadn't been cut by you -know-who and that they were prepared for this.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    I am not one to panic, but I have been stocking up on things like tp, rice, beans, pasta, canned sauces, frozen veggies (which we never buy), vitamins, advil and a few other things. Not huge amounts, but enough in case things go sideways for a few weeks. Basically every day this week I've made a run for some items. Nothing we won't use or eat, but if we are quarantined or things get bad, I want to be at least a bit prepared. I'm in CA and I'm guessing schools will be closed by the end of the month and people won't be commuting to work, so a panic mindset will set in and I want to be a bit ahead of it. I hope I'm wrong, of course. I also hope we all get to see PJ this spring.
    This is what I don't get. Why? I guarantee you hundreds, probably thousands of kids in California have the flu right now and are sitting in class spreading it. If these measures aren't an over reaction for coronavirus because 1 person has now died and a few dozen are infected, then why not do it for the flu too?
    Shutting down schools and public events seems very extreme at this point. 
    I would imagine who thinks this is worth shutting down a school now probably doesn't leave their bubble-house during the months of November-April to be safe.
    Exactly, raiding stores is only making things worse. Not sure how things are going to "go sideways" but whatever. I guess if enough people buy out Costco in a panic that would constitute sideways? I can't even buy toilet paper for my family right now. It's a joke, sorry to offend some but this virus has certainly separated the logical people (what few are left) from the doomsdayer's and other Y2K bunker dwellers. If you feel the threat is real then stay home, but spreading a bunch of fear and buying out your local grocery stores is making the situation worse for everyone. 
    Congrats. That's some kind of bullshit. To tell people to ignore their local health departments, scientists and healthcare experts is idiotic. Our president is currently doing that, but I hoped that others weren't as vacuous. Perhaps it is because I'm at ground zero, and most of the dismissal I'm seeing seems to be coming from those who aren't affected yet. But I'll chose to follow guidance from local agencies versus random, unaffected fans going off hunches and telling people that if they follow local health authorities they're doomsdayers and Y2K bunker dwellers. Look, if someone errs on the side of caution, then worst-case they've wasted time or have done things inefficiently. If they err on the side of disregard, the consequences could end up being much worse. I'm in no panic at all, but am frustrated by people acting like climate change deniers and following the guidance of an anti-science, go with the gut president. 51 confirmed cases and 10 deaths in my county. This isn't the flu. I have the flu vaccine. But there is no COVID-19 vaccine nor is there a COVID-19 treatment available. And the mortality rate is 20 - 30 times higher than influenza. Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, DocuSign, Google and other large companies here telling workers to work remotely. We just this week started testing for this locally, so we have barely seen the tip of the iceberg at this point. If it isn't in your area, don't worry about it, I guess. But it is in mine, and I'll follow professional guidance on this. 
    I'm not saying don't take precautions. But a lot of people are in panic mode. When did local health experts say buy every canned good and roll of toilet paper you can get your hands on? I must have missed that. That kind of behavior is the very definition of panic and what I was referring to. It's a serious situation, but the ramifications of shutting down thousands of schools, sending millions home from work and people raiding their local stores is pretty serious as well. If enough people behave in this manner it probably triggers a world recession, which in turn leaves millions dead who would have otherwise been perfectly healthy. Most workers can't work remotely and if they lose their jobs because of a panic driven recession lose their health care and therefore potentially die from some other much more likely disease. This scenario scares me a lot worse than contracting COVID-19 but to each his own.
    Perhaps I took your previous post wrong, because this one seems much more reasonable. I am not telling anyone to panic. My only message is follow your local health authority's guidance to avoid infection and spread. That's all. The store raiding may appear or sound like panic, but I'm not sure how much is actual raiding vs a larger than typical number of people buying essentials all at the same time. In some cases it is just people making sure that if they have to self-quarantine for 14 days, they've got what they need at home. People are also practicing social distancing a bit more around here, and working remotely from home. That also necessitates more household items than one might normally use. But I have seen crazies panic buying, so I'm not saying it isn't happening. And I've also seen predatory purchasing behavior, and people acting like a PJ poster just went up for sale, and buying to resell at stupid prices. People are selling hand sanitizer, toilet paper, etc... for huge markups. Anyway, if the virus isn't in your area, no worries for now. If it is, then be smart and follow the guidance of the local health authorities. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Would have been nice if 80% of the CDC hadn't been cut by you -know-who and that they were prepared for this.
    +1
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,742
    U think trump is going to make China build a wall around China and have them pay for it?
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617
    I'm going to stay positive and say this doesn't turn apocalyptic like so many here believe. New cases in China continue to decline which is a good sign. Feels like the next 10 or so days will determine a lot but that's just my opinion. If you want some unbiased stats on the virus here's a link. Feels like there's a good % of people getting facts off Facebook and other platforms (like this thread) which in itself is pretty terrifying. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    The FACT is, the CDC budget last year was 7 BILLION dollars......6.5 BILLION this year.   Somehow you feel 13.5 BILLION dollars over two years isn't enough to handle a flu strain?
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    edited March 2020
    RobZ said:
    The FACT is, the CDC budget last year was 7 BILLION dollars......6.5 BILLION this year.   Somehow you feel 13.5 BILLION dollars over two years isn't enough to handle a flu strain?
    The staff that is no longer there to do the job is a huge part of what's been cut. You're being naive and a little dense to say that this is a "flu strain"...because it isn't. Testing kits need to magically appear to help slow this down....go ask F'er 45 why tax dollars are being spent to build a tennis court at the WH when they could be getting more testing kits, etc
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    HiMSS, a huge healthcare conference in Orlando that Trump was scheduled to speak at, was just cancelled today. My wife, who works in infectious disease prevention technology, was supposed to attend. 

Again, very different from a PJ show, but still another data point to consider. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,409
    Saltzy23 said:
    My thing is that if this becomes a global pandemic that can't be stopped is that they might as well just let these events go on as planned.

If we're all gonna get sick and die anyway, that what difference does it make if it happens at home under the sheets or rocking out to PJ?

I agree.  It sort of feels like it's hard to contain it.   So it's going to run its course.   It also feels like it's not that bad for our age demographic.  It's very top heavy.  In that it's the thing, that's the final straw for older folk who have other problems.   Maybe keep doing the shows but put out warnings for retired folk with preexisting medical conditions not to come?  Those are the ones that most need to be sheltered from it?

If this thing really had a chance at being contained, you'd think they'd shutdown international travel, mass events, etc....  China has their numbers going down but they took a very hard line with it, shutting down, and quarantining entire cities.    If you shutdown travel and mass events in North America.   It's hugely detrimental to the economy.    I'm not sure someone would make the call.  If they don't, then it probably spreads.  May as well go about life normal.
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    HiMSS, a huge healthcare conference in Orlando that Trump was scheduled to speak at, was just cancelled today. My wife, who works in infectious disease prevention technology, was supposed to attend. 

WHY would that idiot be speaking at a conference on healthcare? He doesn't know anything
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Lostpawn said:

WHY would that idiot be speaking at a conference on healthcare? He doesn't know anything
    FWIW, my wife was saying the same thing...

Edit: Probably to defend his covid response, again per my wife. 
    Post edited by Lostpawn on
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    Lostpawn said:

I feel for her...since she's one of the educated ones I'm sure...
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,330
    94,000 cases. 7.7 billion people. And that is in like 10 weeks.  This is math I cant do without a calculator but im pretty sure the odds are low. Furthermore, I'm not old, not a baby, and no underlying health issues.  If I do get it I will be 100% fine without going to a doctor. Just a few days off work with some rest. 

They are promoting people to buy tickets for the remaining seats as of yesterday and today they are packing movie theaters....still not a concern.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,898
    edited March 2020
    Do people understand how fucked this is?  Our federal government isn't allowing people to be tested because that gasbag wants to keep the US numbers low so the market doesnt tank and threaten his re-election!

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    Lostpawn said:

I feel for her...since she's one of the educated ones I'm sure...
    She is. Coincidentally, her lifelong best friend is a pediatric infectious disease doctor and researcher. I’m lucky to be surrounded by people who can offer reliable, educated input on dealing with this kind of stuff. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:

I agree.  It sort of feels like it's hard to contain it.   So it's going to run its course.   It also feels like it's not that bad for our age demographic.  It's very top heavy.  In that it's the thing, that's the final straw for older folk who have other problems.   Maybe keep doing the shows but put out warnings for retired folk with preexisting medical conditions not to come?  Those are the ones that most need to be sheltered from it?

If this thing really had a chance at being contained, you'd think they'd shutdown international travel, mass events, etc....  China has their numbers going down but they took a very hard line with it, shutting down, and quarantining entire cities.    If you shutdown travel and mass events in North America.   It's hugely detrimental to the economy.    I'm not sure someone would make the call.  If they don't, then it probably spreads.  May as well go about life normal.
    Yeah, exactly.

There is a common belief amongst people that "home = safe".

I'm not even talking about this virus.  I'm talking about in all walks of life.

People seem to believe that they can't get mugged or robbed in their home town, but that if they travel, and often to huge cities around the globe no less, that they will be unsafe.

This thing is now popping up in random places all over the country.  

At a certain point, what difference does it make where you are if this truly becomes a global pandemic.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

But not all will die. Most likely it will be the elderly and people with underlying health issues (I’m one of them) 

i still have every every intention of going to Toronto but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t freak out if there was someone coughing up a lung or sneezing on me at the show. 
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    Lostpawn said:

Because he knows the best words and knows more than anyone and has a great brain and is a stable genius? And it’s not like he’s a known liar at least 16k times... I just want to wake up from this nightmare and have intelligent people lead the country again. 
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    You guys aware there is a Cornavirus thread in A Moving Train? Don't care where you talk about it myself but plenty of good discussion happening their too. 
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 246
    I can't wait until March 19 when we'll be talking about how great the Toronto show was the night before.  Let's all follow basic hand washing procedures, take care of ourselves and our families, watch out for our friends and neighbors. If possible stay home from work or school if you're sick.
    Can't wait for this tour to start. 

[img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    Europe is 4 months away.  I'm less worried about Europe than I am about the US, especially California.  To be clear, I have tickets to 8 US shows and 3 EU shows and even if I didn't I would never root for shows to be canceled.
    I tend to agree with this take. I fear that they may only get through part of this tour before being forced to postpone later dates. I hope I’m wrong but honestly, if this spreads widely in the coming weeks, I can def see postponing some dates. Hope that doesn’t happen. 

• Options
    jhager79 said:
    I can't wait until March 19 when we'll be talking about how great the Toronto show was the night before.  Let's all follow basic hand washing procedures, take care of ourselves and our families, watch out for our friends and neighbors. If possible stay home from work or school if you're sick.

It makes me sad to think that I will already be back home from Toronto two weeks from today, but I will be so excited to discuss just how great that tour kickoff show was! 

• Options
    jhager79 said:

Rock on!  April 9 (Denver) can’t get here soon enough!
  • Options
    jj274219jj274219 Posts: 20
    Santa Clara County recommending mass gatherings be postponed or cancelled. There was some thought of tonight's Sharks game being cancelled apparently, as the team's official Twitter announced that the game will be played as scheduled.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/new-guidance-new-covid-19-3-5-2020.aspx

• Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited March 2020
    https://mailchi.mp/esicm/the-future-of-haemodynamic-monitoring-first-webinar-of-the-year-1009715

From Italy "10% of Cases requiring ICU / Ventilators due to hypoxic respiratory failure"

"We have seen a very high number of ICU admissions, almost entirely due to severe hypoxic respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation.

The surge can be important during an outbreak and cluster containment has to be in place to slow down virus transmission.

We are seeing a high percentage of positive cases being admitted to our Intensive Care Units, in the range of 10% of all positive patients.

We wish to convey a strong message: Get ready!"

Sadly we are royally screwing up cluster containment via CDC/Testing failures..... and we don't have a fraction of the needed ICU/Ventilators available to accommodate anything near 10% of cases coming down the pipleline.  :( 

#justaflubro 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
This discussion has been closed.