CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Still overreacting everywhere, I see.
    Which part?

and...When does over-reacting become just reacting? 
    All of it. Everywhere.
    All of what? haha

Everything.  All the fuss, all the panic, all the fear-mongering, all the news shoving it down everyone's throats, all the misinformation, all the cancelations of things that don't need to be canceled, all the sold out shit in stores, etc.  All of it is overreacting to epic proportions.
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,394
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Which part?

All of it. Everywhere.
    All of what? haha

Everything.  All the fuss, all the panic, all the fear-mongering, all the news shoving it down everyone's throats, all the misinformation, all the cancelations of things that don't need to be canceled, all the sold out shit in stores, etc.  All of it is overreacting to epic proportions.
    This is 100% correct
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    ISO a single MSG if anybody is worried and doesn’t want to go

my work is testing shutting down full office and 5k employees working from home in case of a outbreak. Meeting occurring everyday to provide updates. Pretty serious stuff if it comes to that, gotta prepare though
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Exactly. You have to prepare. People saying that this is all fuss and panic are as silly as people actually panicking. What we do know is that we don't know enough right now. The families of the 10 people dead in my county from COVID-19 aren't viewing this as a nothingburger. Scientists and medical professionals in my county health department providing guidance aren't treating this as a nothingburger. If you want news saying this is all OK and nothing to worry about, tune in to a Trump presser. His hunches will put you at ease since he doesn't pay attention to the science. Otherwise, pay attention to developments. We're just now testing for this. We don't know the scope or magnitude. Nothing wrong with taking precautions and making adjustments as new information becomes available.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    "Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense...."
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Which part?

All of it. Everywhere.
    All of what? haha

Somewhere in the middle is probably the place to be. As usual, be prepared and stay informed. At the same time, It's not a hunch or fake news. This virus is real. The severity? Only time will tell. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,072
    edited March 2020
    Costco selling out of toilet paper does seem like panic and over reaction though. I have yet to be convinced this is or will be worse than the flu. I agree we don't know a lot, so it is a good idea to be cautious and prepared, but I have seen no indication it will be anything like the yearly flu. 
    I don't agree with the death rates being listed as evidence it is worse. Yes, it may have a 3% death rate, maybe even higher. But 3% of 81,000 is still a lot smaller of a number than 0.1% of 500 million who will get the flu. And the flu by the way we have learned ways to help treat and vaccines, the flu has the potential to be much more deadly that is already is. Why are so many downplaying the flu while acting like we'll be lucky to survive until summer because of coronavirus?
    I'm not saying who cares about coronavirus, or that it is a nothingburger. I am saying the hype doesn't add up. Why are masks, toilet paper, kleenex selling out. Why are many assuming events will or should be canceled, people avoiding public transportation and large gatherings because of a virus that has infected a few hundred and killed 9 or 10 and may get a lot worse. But we know that 20 million will get the flu and 20,000 of those will die, and yet we do nothing to prevent that by comparison? 

My point, if you're still reading, if this virus does half of what the flu does every year people will claim it is the next black plaque, demand city-wide shutdowns and school cancellations while continuing to ignore the flu. That's what I don't get.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,532
    I believe it's because they have the masks fitted properly and they aren't wearing them all day, only around patients. Not my business, people can do what they want, but if it isn't airborne and only transmitted through droplets, I'm just gonna try to be careful about not touching people/surfaces, washing my hands and not touching my face. 
    THIS.....
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    As far as preparation, you can't do anything more than you already do to prevent catching a cold or the flu.  Anything beyond that is overreacting.  And hell, for that matter, that kind of stuff (covering your mouth/nose, washing your hands, using sanitizer, staying home if you're sick, etc) should all be common practices every day of the year, not just when the bugs come out to play.  I don't recall ever saying it was a nothingburger or that it was all sunshine and roses.  But the overreacting is ridiculous.  You know what really weakens your immune system and makes you more susceptible to viruses?  Stress and anxiety.  I choose not to stress or be anxious, so I'm already a giant step ahead of this perceived preparedness.
    Can anyone point me to all the doomsday posts when H1N1 was a thing? Swine flu? Bird flu? MERS? SARS? No? Okay, then.
    Since it was first reported in the United States, way more people have died from gunfire than Covid-19.  Where's the emergency, the panic, the uproar, the caution, or the preventive measures for that?
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,011
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Costco selling out of toilet paper does seem like panic and over reaction though. I have yet to be convinced this is or will be worse than the flu. I agree we don't know a lot, so it is a good idea to be cautious and prepared, but I have seen no indication it will be anything like the yearly flu. 
    I don't agree with the death rates being listed as evidence it is worse. Yes, it may have a 3% death rate, maybe even higher. But 3% of 81,000 is still a lot smaller of a number than 0.1% of 500 million who will get the flu. And the flu by the way we have learned ways to help treat and vaccines, the flu has the potential to be much more deadly that is already is. Why are so many downplaying the flu while acting like we'll be lucky to survive until summer because of coronavirus?
    I'm not saying who cares about coronavirus, or that it is a nothingburger. I am saying the hype doesn't add up. Why are masks, toilet paper, kleenex selling out. Why are many assuming events will or should be canceled, people avoiding public transportation and large gatherings because of a virus that has infected a few hundred and killed 9 or 10 and may get a lot worse. But we know that 20 million will get the flu and 20,000 of those will die, and yet we do nothing to prevent that by comparison? 

My point, if you're still reading, if this virus does half of what the flu does every year people will claim it is the next black plaque, demand city-wide shutdowns and school cancellations while continuing to ignore the flu. That's what I don't get.
    I don’t know anything about anything, but one exercise I find helpful is, when I hear or read anything about this virus I substitute the words “particularly nasty flu strain” for “coronavirus” and see if what I’m hearing/reading still makes sense or scans as an overreaction. Because it strikes me that if this were just another one of those “hey the flu is pretty bad this year, get your shots and wash your hands” situations, the impact could look pretty similar. The only difference would be that it wouldn’t drive as many eyeballs on cable news or clickies on the internet. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    I am not one to panic, but I have been stocking up on things like tp, rice, beans, pasta, canned sauces, frozen veggies (which we never buy), vitamins, advil and a few other things. Not huge amounts, but enough in case things go sideways for a few weeks. Basically every day this week I've made a run for some items. Nothing we won't use or eat, but if we are quarantined or things get bad, I want to be at least a bit prepared. I'm in CA and I'm guessing schools will be closed by the end of the month and people won't be commuting to work, so a panic mindset will set in and I want to be a bit ahead of it. I hope I'm wrong, of course. I also hope we all get to see PJ this spring.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    MD190661 said:
    I am not one to panic, but I have been stocking up on things like tp, rice, beans, pasta, canned sauces, frozen veggies (which we never buy), vitamins, advil and a few other things. Not huge amounts, but enough in case things go sideways for a few weeks. Basically every day this week I've made a run for some items. Nothing we won't use or eat, but if we are quarantined or things get bad, I want to be at least a bit prepared. I'm in CA and I'm guessing schools will be closed by the end of the month and people won't be commuting to work, so a panic mindset will set in and I want to be a bit ahead of it. I hope I'm wrong, of course. I also hope we all get to see PJ this spring.
    This is what I don't get. Why? I guarantee you hundreds, probably thousands of kids in California have the flu right now and are sitting in class spreading it. If these measures aren't an over reaction for coronavirus because 1 person has now died and a few dozen are infected, then why not do it for the flu too?
    Shutting down schools and public events seems very extreme at this point. 
    I would imagine who thinks this is worth shutting down a school now probably doesn't leave their bubble-house during the months of November-April to be safe.
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    This is what I don't get. Why? I guarantee you hundreds, probably thousands of kids in California have the flu right now and are sitting in class spreading it. If these measures aren't an over reaction for coronavirus because 1 person has now died and a few dozen are infected, then why not do it for the flu too?
    I would imagine who thinks this is worth shutting down a school now probably doesn't leave their bubble-house during the months of November-April to be safe.
    Exactly, raiding stores is only making things worse. Not sure how things are going to "go sideways" but whatever. I guess if enough people buy out Costco in a panic that would constitute sideways? I can't even buy toilet paper for my family right now. It's a joke, sorry to offend some but this virus has certainly separated the logical people (what few are left) from the doomsdayer's and other Y2K bunker dwellers. If you feel the threat is real then stay home, but spreading a bunch of fear and buying out your local grocery stores is making the situation worse for everyone. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    We know a lot more about the flu than Covid-19 and have at least some ways to combat it- vaccines, etc. Right now there are over 290 million kids not in school worldwide due to Covid-19. I still stand by my bet that that CA schools will be closed in the next few weeks. I hope this doesn't happen, of course, but the writing is on the wall. And it doesn't have to be rational. If a parent of a 6th grader in an LA school dies soon, they'll shut the whole district down. Parents will go bonkers if they don't. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    At this point I'll consider it a miracle if these EU shows go on as planned.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    The CDC and doctors have been telling the population to prepare for *possible* severe normal everyday life changes. If you or others want to ignore their advice, then do that. But other people are probably better off listening to doctors and experts over some random dude on the internet who isn't qualified to give advice about these things.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    Exactly, raiding stores is only making things worse. Not sure how things are going to "go sideways" but whatever. I guess if enough people buy out Costco in a panic that would constitute sideways? I can't even buy toilet paper for my family right now. It's a joke, sorry to offend some but this virus has certainly separated the logical people (what few are left) from the doomsdayer's and other Y2K bunker dwellers. If you feel the threat is real then stay home, but spreading a bunch of fear and buying out your local grocery stores is making the situation worse for everyone. 
    Congrats. That's some kind of bullshit. To tell people to ignore their local health departments, scientists and healthcare experts is idiotic. Our president is currently doing that, but I hoped that others weren't as vacuous. Perhaps it is because I'm at ground zero, and most of the dismissal I'm seeing seems to be coming from those who aren't affected yet. But I'll choose to follow guidance from local agencies versus random, unaffected fans going off hunches and telling people that if they follow local health authorities they're doomsdayers and Y2K bunker dwellers. Look, if someone errs on the side of caution, then worst-case they've wasted time or have done things inefficiently. If they err on the side of disregard, the consequences could end up being much worse. I'm in no panic at all, but am frustrated by people acting like climate change deniers and following the guidance of an anti-science, go with the gut president. 51 confirmed cases and 10 deaths in my county. This isn't the flu. I have the flu vaccine. But there is no COVID-19 vaccine nor is there a COVID-19 treatment available. And the mortality rate is 20 - 30 times higher than influenza. Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, DocuSign, Google and other large companies here telling workers to work remotely. We just this week started testing for this locally, so we have barely seen the tip of the iceberg at this point. If it isn't in your area, don't worry about it, I guess. But it is in mine, and I'll follow professional guidance on this. 
    Post edited by jeffbr on
  • Options
    MD190661 said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    We know a lot more about the flu than Covid-19 and have at least some ways to combat it- vaccines, etc. Right now there are over 290 million kids not in school worldwide due to Covid-19. I still stand by my bet that that CA schools will be closed in the next few weeks. I hope this doesn't happen, of course, but the writing is on the wall. And it doesn't have to be rational. If a parent of a 6th grader in an LA school dies soon, they'll shut the whole district down. Parents will go bonkers if they don't. 
    The school district next to me just shut down for at least a couple of weeks, and have started online instruction with students. 33 schools and 23,000 students. Other schools in various districts have closed, but I think this is the first district to close here.  I think you're right about CA schools closing down at some point as the virus spreads through communities.
  • Options
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    The CDC and doctors have been telling the population to prepare for *possible* severe normal everyday life changes. If you or others want to ignore their advice, then do that. But other people are probably better off listening to doctors and experts over some random dude on the internet who isn't qualified to give advice about these things.
    Okay, so explain to me why we don't do the same thing every year when we know 100% for sure 20 million people will get the flu and 20,000 will die from it?
    I've asked several times and haven't seen one answer.

My answer is is because this is something new. People freak out when it is new. We are used to the flu, so it doesn't concern us.  You don't have to be an expert to know that 20 million is a bigger number.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,274
    Saltzy23 said:
    At this point I'll consider it a miracle if these EU shows go on as planned.
    Aye, same here. Got tickets for Vienna and Copenhagen and if things continue developing in this direction, I can't see any way that they'll proceed with the tour. Mass gatherings of people in one place are not a good idea right now. It'd be a shame to see a tour cancellation but public health must come first.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,450
    I believe in miracles 🤞🏻
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,938
    WWBSD?
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    Congrats. That's some kind of bullshit. To tell people to ignore their local health departments, scientists and healthcare experts is idiotic. Our president is currently doing that, but I hoped that others weren't as vacuous. Perhaps it is because I'm at ground zero, and most of the dismissal I'm seeing seems to be coming from those who aren't affected yet. But I'll chose to follow guidance from local agencies versus random, unaffected fans going off hunches and telling people that if they follow local health authorities they're doomsdayers and Y2K bunker dwellers. Look, if someone errs on the side of caution, then worst-case they've wasted time or have done things inefficiently. If they err on the side of disregard, the consequences could end up being much worse. I'm in no panic at all, but am frustrated by people acting like climate change deniers and following the guidance of an anti-science, go with the gut president. 51 confirmed cases and 10 deaths in my county. This isn't the flu. I have the flu vaccine. But there is no COVID-19 vaccine nor is there a COVID-19 treatment available. And the mortality rate is 20 - 30 times higher than influenza. Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, DocuSign, Google and other large companies here telling workers to work remotely. We just this week started testing for this locally, so we have barely seen the tip of the iceberg at this point. If it isn't in your area, don't worry about it, I guess. But it is in mine, and I'll follow professional guidance on this. 
    I'm not saying don't take precautions. But a lot of people are in panic mode. When did local health experts say buy every canned good and roll of toilet paper you can get your hands on? I must have missed that. That kind of behavior is the very definition of panic and what I was referring to. It's a serious situation, but the ramifications of shutting down thousands of schools, sending millions home from work and people raiding their local stores is pretty serious as well. If enough people behave in this manner it probably triggers a world recession, which in turn leaves millions dead who would have otherwise been perfectly healthy. Most workers can't work remotely and if they lose their jobs because of a panic driven recession lose their health care and therefore potentially die from some other much more likely disease. This scenario scares me a lot worse than contracting COVID-19 but to each his own.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    Okay, so explain to me why we don't do the same thing every year when we know 100% for sure 20 million people will get the flu and 20,000 will die from it?

My answer is is because this is something new. People freak out when it is new. We are used to the flu, so it doesn't concern us.  You don't have to be an expert to know that 20 million is a bigger number.
    I think I saw that someone who gets the flu has a 1 in 800 chance of dying? The coronavirus thus far, as far as we know is somewhere in the 1 in 30 to 1 in 40 people die range. That makes it sound about 20x more lethal than the standard flu that we all know and have probably had at some point.

Now there's obvious variables...did a lot more people get coronavirus than we know, thus the mortality rate is lower than is being reported? Maybe...hopefully. It's odd how some countries have very high death rates (China, Iran, Italy), while South Korea has a less than 1% death rate the last I heard. That might be explained by South Korea testing massive amounts of people, thus possibly flagging people with the virus who aren't getting all that sick. Where maybe the other countries are only testing people in bad shape already? Who knows.

Now this new virus its just starting to spread everywhere. Obviously we hope it doesn't spread as much as the flu, but this is an unknown as you said.

I do like one thing about the people panicking. You can't find sanitizing wipes or hand sanitizers anywhere near where I live. But if people are using these items, then good. That is the type of behavior that can get us past thing whole thing.

But in the end. I'm not an expert. I'm just spewing crap I've read or seen. People should get their advice from doctors, not people like you or I.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,898
    Europe is 4 months away.  I'm less worried about Europe than I am about the US, especially California.  To be clear, I have tickets to 8 US shows and 3 EU shows and even if I didn't I would never root for shows to be canceled.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,742
    edited March 2020
    Relax people
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    I think most of the actions are more so that the spread needs to be managed until we learn enough to fight it.  If no precautions are taken and 20 million people caught this virus in the next six months, current mortality rate could yield more than a half million people dead. 

I’m not personally afraid for it, but if the spread got out of control this could be a big deal.  Reality is though it’s too tough to gauge yet as the ones being diagnosed so far are likely the worse cases of it.

Live your life but it doesn’t hurt to take a few precautions.

1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,532
    Everything was just canceled 
    that isn't funny
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,898
    Everything was just canceled 
    that isn't funny
    +1

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:

You're right, Facts do mater.. 

Yearly "Flu" comes from mostly known Influenza bugs that have been circulating in humans for years or new variants of those known viruses. COVID-19 is new to humans. 

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses. 

Transmission

While both the flu and COVID-19 may be transmitted in similar ways, there is also a possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Source : https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

This discussion has been closed.