Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    I realize things are in flux right now... but it seems highly unlikely that this virus is going to be under "control" in the next few weeks or probably even months. Given that, I think it's actually a terrible idea to have mass cancellations of all types of public events (as well as massive shrinkage of travel)  as the economic impact of that will be huge. It will trickle to tons of people losing their jobs and have huge negative consequences that will likely last years. By all signs this is a nasty flu.. It's not Ebola. Some of us will likely not be able to avoid getting it but most will be just fine. 

If a week or three of cancellations was likely to stop or cure this virus that would be different. But I think there's way too much panic over something we cannot control. People who are particularly at risk should certainly avoid public gatherings for a while but I think the rest of us should just be more careful. And I think avoiding all travel and cancelling everything for months due to fear will have terrible consequences. Obviously not just talking about PJ shows.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,650
    I realize things are in flux right now... but it seems highly unlikely that this virus is going to be under "control" in the next few weeks or probably even months. Given that, I think it's actually a terrible idea to have mass cancellations of all types of public events (as well as massive shrinkage of travel)  as the economic impact of that will be huge. It will trickle to tons of people losing their jobs and have huge negative consequences that will likely last years. By all signs this is a nasty flu.. It's not Ebola. Some of us will likely not be able to avoid getting it but most will be just fine. 

If a week or three of cancellations was likely to stop or cure this virus that would be different. But I think there's way too much panic over something we cannot control. People who are particularly at risk should certainly avoid public gatherings for a while but I think the rest of us should just be more careful. And I think avoiding all travel and cancelling everything for months due to fear will have terrible consequences. Obviously not just talking about PJ shows.
    Agree with this.  If you think this isn't in every major city in the world already then you're naive.  This has been spreading for months now and the only reason we don't see number like other countries is because we aren't testing very much yet.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    The more you guys continue to panic and talk about it, the more ammo you're giving them to be over-reactionary and cancel the tour.  So, for the sake of all of us...  Shut the fuck up about it!
    The band.. their families. their staff..etc.etc..etc.. all live in the Seattle, Washington area, which, so far, looks to be ground zero for this virus in the U.S.

Betting they aren't watching this thread for opinions  . ;)
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,737
    The more you guys continue to panic and talk about it, the more ammo you're giving them to be over-reactionary and cancel the tour.  So, for the sake of all of us...  Shut the fuck up about it!
    +1
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,937
    I think we’re fine. Insane clown posse just announced a tour so that’s a good indication. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,219
    nicknyr15 said:
    I think we’re fine. Insane clown posse just announced a tour so that’s a good indication. 
    Haha. I haven't heard about them since Junior High, how is it possible that these guys have stayed around this long?

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,898
    EXCLUSIVE: The 2020 Ultra Music Festival will be postponed — possibly for a full year, the Miami Herald has learned. That move would effectively cancel this year’s edition of Miami’s marquee electronic dance music event. https://hrld.us/2x5ZQ4k

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    nicknyr15 said:
    GG Allin would never have cancelled a tour.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    EXCLUSIVE: The 2020 Ultra Music Festival will be postponed — possibly for a full year, the Miami Herald has learned. That move would effectively cancel this year’s edition of Miami’s marquee electronic dance music event. https://hrld.us/2x5ZQ4k

Not at all surprised. Probably the right decision, but the economic impact sucks. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    I hate to say it but I'd say it's like 70/30 they cancel/postpone the Spring tour. I'm guessing if things look any worse, as early as Monday. Just a hunch. Knowing that fans travel for shows actually makes this more likely. Most bands tour and play to local fans. But since so many people travel for PJ, they won't have much of a choice. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,937
    I mean, they did just post about behind the stage seats being available in Quebec.  So that’s a good sign 
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,270
    Pearl Jam doesn’t have a lot of frail 85+ year old fans so don’t think there is any possibility they will cancel the dates. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,607
    If they start banning fans from nba games and the ncaa tournament we might have a problem with the tour. If that doesn’t happen I would think it’s a go.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,529
    CO278952 said:
    Pearl Jam doesn’t have a lot of frail 85+ year old fans so don’t think there is any possibility they will cancel the dates. 
    People with underlying medical conditions aren't all "frail and 85". COPD, diabetes are all noted in leaving someone more susceptible to a virus. Recent cancer treatment, immunosuppressive diseases....don't pre-judge that if you aren't 85 and frail that it's OK
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    myoung321 said:
    The band.. their families. their staff..etc.etc..etc.. all live in the Seattle, Washington area, which, so far, looks to be ground zero for this virus in the U.S.

Betting they aren't watching this thread for opinions  . ;)
    Exactly. And King County held a press update today with the following guidance for events and community gatherings:

If you can feasibly avoid bringing large groups of people together, consider postponing events and gatherings.

If you can’t avoid bringing groups of people together:

• Urge anyone who is sick to not attend.
    • Encourage those who are at higher risk for coronavirus to not attend.
    • Try to find ways to give people more physical space so that they aren’t in close contact as much as possible.
    • Encourage attendees to maintain good healthy habits, such as frequent hand washing.
    • Clean surfaces with standard cleaners.
    They also provided the following guidance for workplaces and businesses (wonder if the PJ warehouse is following any of this yet):

All employees should work from home if they are able.

Employers should take steps to make it more feasible for their employees to work in ways that minimize close contact with large numbers of people.

Employers should:

• Maximize telecommuting options for as many employees as possible.
    • Urge employees to stay home when they are sick and maximize flexibility in sick leave benefits.
    • Consider staggering start and end times to reduce large numbers of people coming together at the same time.
    We just had our 9th COVID-19 death in the county announced at the press briefing as well. So some of us (including members of PJ) really are at ground zero here in the U.S.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,676
    The spring shows will be fine.  Nothing is getting cancelled.  The virus will spread regardless of how many people do or do not congregate in a crowd.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    Ray J. T. said:
    You have to take into consideration that Miami is expecting roughly 200,000 people from over 105 different countries for the festival. You cant compare this situation to a PJ tour in the U.S. 
    I didn't realize I made any comparison to a PJ tour anywhere. :) 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    People in here that make me laugh: 

1) "JustaFlu" Bro's
    2) Touting bad facts from Facebook like they're a epidemiologist (ie "Masks don't work")  
    3) Folks that speak with certainly that the show is definitely / definitely not getting cancelled

Nobody knows what the band is gonna do.

It's good to discuss news, options, contingency plans... it's good to help fellow fans out with their plans.... but cmon :) 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    sxwxgirl1sxwxgirl1 Posts: 63
    CO278952 said:
    I am not 80, neither is my Husband, but sadly he suffers from Stage 3 COPD.  If he gets this, he is dead.  So as my 20 something Daughters and I go to the concert it will be in the back of our mind if we bring anything back to him, we will have essentially killed him.  The crowding in arena's make it impossible to contain/control anything.  It does take some of the zing out of the excitement as you also have to think of other's well-being outside the fan base alone.
  • Options
    sxwxgirl1 said:
    CO278952 said:
    I am not 80, neither is my Husband, but sadly he suffers from Stage 3 COPD.  If he gets this, he is dead.  So as my 20 something Daughters and I go to the concert it will be in the back of our mind if we bring anything back to him, we will have essentially killed him.  The crowding in arena's make it impossible to contain/control anything.  It does take some of the zing out of the excitement as you also have to think of other's well-being outside the fan base alone.
    Bingo. IF any shows get cancelled, it won’t be PJ in a vacuum. It will be in collaboration with public health officials, who have the interests of the general public at heart, not just the 20k who attend the show. 
  • Options
    O_G_DO_G_D Toronto Posts: 542
    sxwxgirl1 said:
    CO278952 said:
    Well said.  It’s sad that there are others - and it would seem many who are only thinking of themselves when it comes to this.  I’m a 41 year old diabetic so that’s an underlying health issue.  I’m nervous about these shows being cancelled or postponed but if they are I will understand and except the reasons why even though I cannot state enough how disappointed I would be.  I’m not an expert on any of this but things certainly do not appear to be getting better which doesn’t bode well for any of us with plans for these shows.  It’s a potential cold hard reality we should all be prepared for.
    1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,662
    Do what makes you feel comfortable.  I personally think raiding Costco’s papertowel aisle and stocking up on MREs in a non-infected city is a bit ridiculous right now but i definitely have a supply of N95 and N100 masks for my family.  We have some trips planned that we may or may not go on.  
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    CO278952 said:
    People with underlying medical conditions aren't all "frail and 85". COPD, diabetes are all noted in leaving someone more susceptible to a virus. Recent cancer treatment, immunosuppressive diseases....don't pre-judge that if you aren't 85 and frail that it's OK
    Exactly....or maybe even a certain Guitarist, now in his 50s that deals with Crohn's Disease?
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,676
    I agree.  The virus is a real threat to people who are high risk.  Everyone should use judgement and decide if attending shows, sporting events, etc is right for them.  Wearing masks and washing hands are two very effective ways to prevent catching the virus.

With that said, I don’t see much value in cancelling the shows.  The virus will be spread whether the shows happen or not.  Unless there is a definitive ban by the state/country on ALL events, I think the shows will go on.  Pearl Jam won’t cancel shows if tons of other bands are playing shows and 15-20,000 people are showing up to arenas around the country daily to watch march madness games. 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,737
    Do what makes you feel comfortable.  I personally think raiding Costco’s papertowel aisle and stocking up on MREs in a non-infected city is a bit ridiculous right now but i definitely have a supply of N95 and N100 masks for my family.  We have some trips planned that we may or may not go on.  
    U think getting groceries and TP at the store is ridiculous but you have a stock pile of masks? 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,658
    sxwxgirl1 said:
    CO278952 said:
    I am supposed to travel for shows and then visit my parents.  I may cancel the parents trip for this very reason.
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    Not to be too harsh, but it kind of should be up to people to decide as well. If they aren't comfortable going to an event for whatever reason, they should sell their tickets. No one is making anyone attend a show. And bands could allow for a refund if they really wanted to be generous about it.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,662
    U think getting groceries and TP at the store is ridiculous but you have a stock pile of masks? 
    Stockpile?  No. 
    5 of them?  Yes.  
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,509
    I agree.  The virus is a real threat to people who are high risk.  Everyone should use judgement and decide if attending shows, sporting events, etc is right for them.  Wearing masks and washing hands are two very effective ways to prevent catching the virus.

With that said, I don’t see much value in cancelling the shows.  The virus will be spread whether the shows happen or not.  Unless there is a definitive ban by the state/country on ALL events, I think the shows will go on.  Pearl Jam won’t cancel shows if tons of other bands are playing shows and 15-20,000 people are showing up to arenas around the country daily to watch march madness games. 
      I don’t think PJ will feel compelled to go with the flow on this.  They will do what they think is best regardless of what others decide.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    kst said:

I don’t think PJ will feel compelled to go with the flow on this.  They will do what they think is best regardless of what others decide.  
    I agree completely. What I learned from the Ultra situation in Miami today, though, is that sometimes it’s not in the performer’s hands. Ultra didn’t want to cancel, they got cancelled by the county and city. 

The situations aren’t 1:1 - PJ shows are much smaller events with more local crowds. I’m just calling out that PJ may not have full agency in this situation. I hope and believe that all shows will go off just fine. But if not, the band may not be to blame. 
This discussion has been closed.