Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,898
    1. Every medical professional I have heard in the past week has said that masks are not effective/necessary if you are trying to prevent getting the disease. They should be worn if you are sick or by medical professionals.
    2. Bernie was just on Maddow. She asked him if the virus is affecting his campaign methods.  He said they had a large rally in San Jose last week and were in communication with the public health department and they said to go ahead with it. I assume PJ will do the same and will take the advice of the professionals. Unfortunately for us, I think this means shows could be canceled any time up to the first notes.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,934
    Ray J. T. said:
    You have to take into consideration that Miami is expecting roughly 200,000 people from over 105 different countries for the festival. You cant compare this situation to a PJ tour in the U.S. 
    I didn't realize I made any comparison to a PJ tour anywhere. :) 
    I never said you made any comparison, I was just trying to state that the fact that Miami officials made the decision to cancel the festival for this year is something I wouldn’t read much into when it comes to what PJ will decide in what to do with the upcoming tour, and why I believe this cancellation was the right move for our city. This will most certainly be a big economic loss, but I understand the stress we would potentially be putting our healthcare professionals under with such a mass gathering of folks from all different walks of life in the same space at this time.  I agree with you with the fact that it’s good to discuss the information that is being provided to us, and with the fact that none of us here really know what the band will decide to do. I personally still feel pretty optimistic about the tour moving forward and will proceed with my traveling plans so long as the shows will proceed as scheduled. But at the same time I am also completely aware that this situation can change at any given moment. In the meantime I am just hoping that we will all have safe travels and the time of our lives as this tour is about to get underway in 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,934
    Lostpawn said:
    kst said:
    I agree.  The virus is a real threat to people who are high risk.  Everyone should use judgement and decide if attending shows, sporting events, etc is right for them.  Wearing masks and washing hands are two very effective ways to prevent catching the virus.

With that said, I don’t see much value in cancelling the shows.  The virus will be spread whether the shows happen or not.  Unless there is a definitive ban by the state/country on ALL events, I think the shows will go on.  Pearl Jam won’t cancel shows if tons of other bands are playing shows and 15-20,000 people are showing up to arenas around the country daily to watch march madness games. 
      I don’t think PJ will feel compelled to go with the flow on this.  They will do what they think is best regardless of what others decide.  
    I agree completely. What I learned from the Ultra situation in Miami today, though, is that sometimes it’s not in the performer’s hands. Ultra didn’t want to cancel, they got cancelled by the county and city. 

The situations aren’t 1:1 - PJ shows are much smaller events with more local crowds. I’m just calling out that PJ may not have full agency in this situation. I hope and believe that all shows will go off just fine. But if not, the band may not be to blame. 
    Well said. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,662
    edited March 2020
    1. Every medical professional I have heard in the past week has said that masks are not effective/necessary if you are trying to prevent getting the disease. They should be worn if you are sick or by medical professionals.

The right masks definitely help in crowded, public places (if you’re wearing them correctly).  Their issue is that the general public are now buying them and apparently affecting their ability to purchase them.  Didn't realize that the medical suppliers take their inventory from Lowes/Home Depot/ and Walmart when supplies get low but what do i know?  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,509

The right masks definitely help in crowded, public places (if you’re wearing them correctly).  Their issue is that the general public are now buying them and apparently affecting their ability to purchase them.  
    Agreed.  If masks were not effective, the medical people wouldn’t need to wear them.  They might need them more than the average person, but it doesn’t mean the average person can’t benefit from the right mask if used correctly.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    I believe it's because they have the masks fitted properly and they aren't wearing them all day, only around patients. Not my business, people can do what they want, but if it isn't airborne and only transmitted through droplets, I'm just gonna try to be careful about not touching people/surfaces, washing my hands and not touching my face. 
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,778
    At this stage i dont want to go to a gig . 
    I know  i will not be ok with 60.000 people at hyde park so im not gonna bother.  
    "Its supposed to be just fun"
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,450
    I know  i will not be ok with 60.000 people at hyde park so im not gonna bother.  
    I thought you weren’t gonna go anyway
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,875
    Then don't go but, why don't you do us all a favor and stop with the constant fear-mongering. We all know how serious this is but, every post of yours is the world is coming to an end and trying to prove that it's worse then any of us can imagine.
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    edited March 2020
    The run on masks is dumb. There are no dust masks or respirators available for their stated purposes in trades and workshops now. Most of the people buying these because of the virus will not need them, will not be protected by them, and most importantly, won't know how to use them properly.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,507
    We all need to prepare to be gutted. 

A lot can change in 3 weeks
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,373
    The corona virus dies from spring

The weather is somewhat related to the virus.

What experts say about it:
    The weather experts of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predict a very warm and dry spring this year, so the virus could possibly have problems.
    “Viruses are more stable at low temperatures. Similar to foods that have the longest shelf life in the refrigerator, ”explained Prof. Dr. Thomas Pietschmann from the Helmholtz Center for Infection Research in Braunschweig.
    The Robert Koch Institute also said that cold temperatures favor infection. The colder and drier, the better the viruses survive. The higher the temperatures, the lower the chances of viruses surviving.

Dominik Jung, qualified meteorologist from the Q.met weather service
    “The first summer days with top values ​​around 25 degrees could be very early. The first heat days with maximum values ​​close to the 30-degree mark should already be in May. Germany has a very warm, almost early summer spring in the house. According to these dates, summer makes a real early start! ”

"The coronavirus is surrounded by a lipid layer, ie a layer of fat," said virologist Pietschmann. This fat layer is only slightly heat-resistant, so that the virus does not survive long with rising temperatures. Warm weather also reduces the ability of the virus to spread. Droplets that contain the virus also become heavier at high humidity and temperature. This shortens the duration and distance you can spend in the air. (boostyourcity.de)

I hope they`re right!!!!

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,937

The right masks definitely help in crowded, public places (if you’re wearing them correctly).  Their issue is that the general public are now buying them and apparently affecting their ability to purchase them.  Didn't realize that the medical suppliers take their inventory from Lowes/Home Depot/ and Walmart when supplies get low but what do i know?  
    I own a paint store. 3m and most others masks are made in China. So essentially they never made it to the US. They were allocated to China. I can’t speak for everywhere, but what happened near me was people buying all the masks and shipping them to China. Or putting them on eBay. I had to put a sign up mid January because people kept coming in. I saved some for my customers who actually need them for demo jobs or any other harmful construction job. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Rolling Stone chiming in on concert cancellations.

Nothing earth shattering, but clearly there are a ton of people worried about all of this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/coachella-music-festival-coronavirus-961710/amp/

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,737
    Guys stop the bickering. Best thing to do is just stay off the boards and go live. Stop posting bullshit what if’s. Go outside and ride a bike or go play with your kids. If people want to be scared by what they read they can go to cnn or yahoo news.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Stop the name-calling.  Unnecessary.
    BOKU is in New Orleans March 20/21.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
  • Options
    MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
    I'm no expert on viruses. Hell, I had to re-take Biology 101 in college, but we shouldn't start to panic till the start of canceling domestic flights and mass cancelling of US shows, right?  
  • Options
    Melzombie said:
    I'm no expert on viruses. Hell, I had to re-take Biology 101 in college, but we shouldn't start to panic till the start of canceling domestic flights and mass cancelling of US shows, right?  
    Some domestic flights ARE being canceled, but it's not because they're concerned about spreading the virus, it's because planes are empty.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,402
    edited March 2020

Melzombie said:

I'm not even sure that requires mass panic.  I think the worst thing about this virus is how it takes out older people.   If your under 60 and in good health, it seems like you'll most likely be fine.   If your under 60 with other medical issues it could be a problem.   Once you get older... 70, 80 etc.... almost everyone has medical issues.    Thus it becomes the thing that takes you out :(    From what I know when you get many diseases, your immune system craps out, and something else takes you out like the flu or pneumonia.   Now it's coronavirus which is more lethal to older people than other things.

Given that I'm in my 40s and in good health, I'm not to concerned about me.  Not even my parents who are in their 60s because their in good health.  I'm pretty concerned about my grandparents.   They're pretty fragile in their mid 80s.  They both had extensive stays in hospitals in dec/jan.  They've got so many issues your always cursed with thoughts of when is the right time for them to go.   They've already got so many problems, what does their next 5 years of life look like, kind of thing.. ugh.    You'll miss them a shit tonne, but you don't want to see them suffer either. 
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,954
    Please take the name calling off the forum. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages

etc..

If you cannot get along with someone please put them on your ignore list.
    Thank you

• Options
    jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    My roofing conference in San Diego for mid march just got cancelled. Blerg.
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,301

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    Still overreacting everywhere, I see.
    Which part?

When does over-reacting become just reacting? 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    Which part?

and...When does over-reacting become just reacting? 
    All of it. Everywhere.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    myoung321 said:
    Which part?

and...When does over-reacting become just reacting? 
    All of it. Everywhere.
    All of what? haha

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

This discussion has been closed.