Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 873
    PJNB said:
    There is absolutely no reason to cancel the Canadian part of this tour as it stands right now. I think they need to unfortunately wait till the last minute to make this decision since so much can change. 
    Agree
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,394
    matt84 said:
    Arnold Classic 2020 in Ohio cancelled.
    Apparently not the entire competition was cancelled, found out that the cheer events are still taking place. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,422
    PJNB said:
    There is absolutely no reason to cancel the Canadian part of this tour as it stands right now. I think they need to unfortunately wait till the last minute to make this decision since so much can change. 
    Just because they can wait, doesn’t mean they should. People still have money they can recover from travel costs. They really need to decide soon. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    Do we expect an announcement in either direction? No news obviously means the shows are on, but do we think they’ll announce something confirming that? 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,058
    edited March 2020
    PJNB said:
    Just because they can wait, doesn’t mean they should. People still have money they can recover from travel costs. They really need to decide soon. 
    There is no reason to cancel the tour right now though as things stand. Why would anyone want them to make that decision now since the only decision they can make concrete is a cancelation. Its not like they can say we are going on no matter what right now. 

Also whether they cancel the day before the show or now I get the same amount of money back. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    There is no reason to cancel the tour right now though as things stand. Why would anyone want them to make that decision now since the only decision they can make concrete is a cancelation. Its not like they can say we are going on no matter what right now. 

Also whether they cancel the day before the show or now I get the same amount of money back. 
    Because instead of wasting anyones time later on, they can be proactive instead of reactive. I don’t want it to happen, but if they are even considering it just reschedule now and offer up a plan. 

Other people, such as myself, can still save money... Glad you are covered though. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,533
    IF SNL happens, I can see Apollo and MSG still happening.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Because instead of wasting anyones time later on, they can be proactive instead of reactive. I don’t want it to happen, but if they are even considering it just reschedule now and offer up a plan. 

Other people, such as myself, can still save money... Glad you are covered though. 
    I am not covered besides a couple of free cancelations for hotels. I am all in at this point as are a lot of others for this tour. I would hope they would give it their best shot at making this tour happen and not cancel 2 weeks out on a hunch. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

I am not covered besides a couple of free cancelations for hotels. I am all in at this point as are a lot of others for this tour. I would hope they would give it their best shot at making this tour happen and not cancel 2 weeks out on a hunch. 
    I think we can both agree the day before (as they have done before), is never the best choice. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Largest annual trade show in Chicago just cancelled. Estimated $77MM lost. Never cancelled in its 82 year history. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

I think we can both agree the day before (as they have done before), is never the best choice. 
    For sure but if they cancelled today and this does not get any worse then it has (I think it will) then there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans as well. Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. What show/shows you hitting? Hope they are a go man!

• Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

For sure but if they cancelled today and this does not get any worse then it has (I think it will) then there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans as well. Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. What show/shows you hitting? Hope they are a go man!

Just Nashville. I can’t wait. Same to you!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,014
    edited March 2020
    My son works in an industry involved with some large hotels here in the Dallas area. Lots of conventions/groups have cancelled in the last couple of days.

Edit: I know of course there are no spring dates here, just thinking there is a trend of large groups cancelling all over with or without cases reported yet in the city.
    Post edited by RunIntoTheRain on
  • Options
    I think the thing with these large events and conventions as of right now is they have a lot of international travellers making the trip. At least thats what I am hoping is the reason for the cancelations. 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,500
    I think 72 hours notice is reasonable if they want to give it as long as possible to decide but still let people salvage some costs.  

I don’t have a strong feeling either way as to what they will decide.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 587
    It’s an all or none deal right? If there are any “no notice” cancels, it should only affect Toronto. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I think the thing with these large events and conventions as of right now is they have a lot of international travellers making the trip. At least thats what I am hoping is the reason for the cancelations. 
    Wouldn’t that also be the likely case at a Pearl Jam show? 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:
    I did not mean all international travellers. What % of fans would you bet are coming from Asia and the Middle East to see Pearl Jam? I bet not many. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:
    I did not mean all international travellers. What % of fans would you bet are coming from Asia and the Middle East to see Pearl Jam? I bet not many. 
    I’d venture to say a fair number from Europe. I’m not saying shows are getting cancelled. I just think there are some parallels between a concert for a band with a traveling fan base and these conventions. 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,500
    It’s an all or none deal right? If there are any “no notice” cancels, it should only affect Toronto. 
    Maybe/probably? I could see them making a decision about the 4 Canadian shows and waiting a bit longer on the US.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,219
    I think we should be paying attention to the NBA, NHL and NCAA. These are held in the same arenas PJ would be playing, with roughly the same attendance. If talks of these cancelling start ramping up that would be a good indicator as to whether or not the band moves on this. Trade shows bring in way more international attendees than any PJ show would, and they are typically multiple day events.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    I raise your viral pandemic with a dinosaur level extinction event...
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,180
    I wonder if they will hold off scheduling the second leg of the US tour. Thinking they may need to postpone and reschedule the Euro dates and maybe some of the US dates
  • Options
    Steve GSteve G New Jersey Posts: 46
    If Raleigh 2016 was any indication of how much notice you get, then I'd plan for the absolute last minute. 
    8/12/92-Stanhope NJ
    9/8/98-E.Rutherford NJ
    9/10/98-New York, NY
    9/11/98-New York, NY
    8/12/2000-Tampa, FL
    8/23-25/2000- Wantagh, NY
    10/5/2000-Tornoto, Canada
    4/30/03-Uniondale, NY
    5/3/03-State College, PA
    7/8-9/03-New York, NY
    7/14/03-Holmdel, NJ
    10/3/05-Philadelphia, PA
    6/1-3/06-E.Rutherford, NJ
    6/24-25/08-New York, NY
    10/30/09-Philadelphia, PA
    5/18/10-Newark, NJ
    5/20-21/10-New York, NY
    10/18/13-Brooklyn, NY
    10/25/13-Hartford, CT
    9/26/15-New York, NY
    4/8/16-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    4/9/16-Miami, FL
    5/1-2/16-New York, NY
    9/2/18-Boston, MA
    9/11/22-New York, NY
    9/14/22-Camden, NJ

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,949
    As long as it's a rescheduling type of situation and not full on cancellation, I'm fine with it. If they want to be cautious about it, I won't fault them for it.  Logistically, it would probably be a nightmare, but I do wonder if they just scrap the potential fall tour and move all the spring dates to then?
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    NAL but I work with hotel/convention contracts.  If the WHO declares it a global pandemic, I believe that would allow the Force Majeur clause that is standard in our contracts to allow such events to cancel with out penalty to THEM.   If those are standard with the air travel and venues for the band as well, it would likely mean they could cancel at any time prior to the shows without incurring financial damages to themselves or their insurers. The flip side of that is that there is nothing that would aide in the business impacted recouping their monetary loses. Like everyone else, I've never bothered to read the user agreements when booking a flight but I would imagine there is some kind of cancellation policy in place for Force Majeur or "acts of god".  Most hotels will be reasonable with flexing their individual cancellation policies when stuff like this happens because it is beyond your control assuming people aren't dicks when the call the hotel to cancel. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    PJNB said:

That doesnt really make sense though.  I cant see them cancelling at this point when no other touring acts or professional sporting events in the current touring routing are doing so.  If things change drastically and we start seeing person to person infections happening, in for example Toronto, then things would change really fast.  If shows are getting cancelled on the spring tour it will most definitely be much closer to the actual shows.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    guitar101 said:
    PJNB said:

That doesnt really make sense though.  I cant see them cancelling at this point when no other touring acts or professional sporting events in the current touring routing are doing so.  If things change drastically and we start seeing person to person infections happening, in for example Toronto, then things would change really fast.  If shows are getting cancelled on the spring tour it will most definitely be much closer to the actual shows.
    It wasn’t a request to cancel. But again, being proactive will help more than being reactive. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

Don’t worry, Lysol has us covered... 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)