Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    Someone on an NPR report this morning said something that concerns me -- getting stuck where you are because flights get grounded while you are away from home. Ugh. I really can't have that happen. 
    my biggest worry is the border closes and i'm stuck in canada for who knows how long.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 245
    mcgruff10 said:
    Someone on an NPR report this morning said something that concerns me -- getting stuck where you are because flights get grounded while you are away from home. Ugh. I really can't have that happen. 
    my biggest worry is the border closes and i'm stuck in canada for who knows how long.  
    Outside of 9/11 I can't remember the Canada/US border closing for anything. 
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,511
    static111 said:
    O_G_D said:
    I'm working today and a girl came in who is under the weather.  I seriously want to kill her right now.
    Maybe she can’t afford to take a day off.  In the current state of the economy I wouldn’t be surprised if many sick people in the US continue to come to work even if feeling under the weather.  If the choice is between getting someone else sick and maybe not having enough in your check to pay the rent, most people are gonna do what they have to to pay the rent.  If we had different social safety nets in place such as universal healthcare and a living wage perhaps we wouldn’t see these things.   I know I can’t afford days off of work and unless I’m bed ridden I will probably go in as well, nothing against the safety of my coworkers, but that’s just the economic reality for my family.

But, our fearless leader, who is right about EVERYTHING (eyeroll inserted here) said the economy is sooooooooo great, it's fantatstic! 
    If people start going in to work sick, even if its the flu or a bad cold, people will freak out and that will cause quarantines to happen "just in case"....that is the worst case scenario....then work is shut down, travel, everything. So think twice about going in to work sick....
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    Meme addressing the where the US is on Italy's curve. Supposed to be funny but it's kinda sobering.

Unfortunately I think these next 7 days are going to be a wild ride. I hope I'm wrong. :( 

Still absolutely planning on going to Canada. Will be rocking masks and eye-pro but we will be there rocking out if the shows are on. 

Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,324
    Here you. A real update that MSM wont share.

• Options
    Great post JimJam, thanks for sharing 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892

Great info in that video (wash your hands!) but really no reason to attack the MSM. I know it's in vogue, but I have heard all of this info reapeated frequently on MSNBC this past week. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    Frankfurt, Berlin, London, Krakow, Budapest and Zurich all flights, trains and hotels booked and I’m shitting it now, if they are cancelled I’ll at least get our hotel money back but the flights and trains..not a chance, and if they’re rescheduled then depending if we can get the time off work is highly unlikely...worrying times indeed, hoping for the best but fearing the worst 
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022

• Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,394
    Meme addressing the where the US is on Italy's curve. Supposed to be funny but it's kinda sobering.

Unfortunately I think these next 7 days are going to be a wild ride. I hope I'm wrong. :( 

Still absolutely planning on going to Canada. Will be rocking masks and eye-pro but we will be there rocking out if the shows are on. 

Masks don't help with this virus
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800

man, he looks panicked.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Lots of actual facts, vs panicky sort of facts.  Use one of your 8 monthly freebies if you don't subscribe. 
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=256169109&imp_id=633431529&action=click&module=trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

Also don't click on the below link if you want to continue to live in the panic bubble.   As always, novel virus = very bad, do not want to see them, however, the panic bubble on this one has been off the charts.  And the panic reasoning has been built on stupid things, like oh my god the Olympics.  They won't matter if this becomes insurmountable.  But all the data past and present says that is extremely unlikely.  And yet we persist is stoking the flames of panic about if concerts will happen, because we pretend to want to be data miners I guess.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,641
    PB11041 said:
    Lots of actual facts, vs panicky sort of facts.  Use one of your 8 monthly freebies if you don't subscribe. 
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=256169109&imp_id=633431529&action=click&module=trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

Also don't click on the below link if you want to continue to live in the panic bubble.   As always, novel virus = very bad, do not want to see them, however, the panic bubble on this one has been off the charts.  And the panic reasoning has been built on stupid things, like oh my god the Olympics.  They won't matter if this becomes insurmountable.  But all the data past and present says that is extremely unlikely.  And yet we persist is stoking the flames of panic about if concerts will happen, because we pretend to want to be data miners I guess.

You are missing the point that it is not about as much the science but what government and organizations are going to do.  
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 316
    Panic is good to some extent, because that raises awareness and countries and people start taking appropriate measures to stop the virus from spreading.
    But...I think the virus will peak in the coming month or so and then slowly fading. That's just my guess though and of course I could be wrong.
    But with every other virus that has hit us, allthough this one is pretty aggressive, it's hysteria and panic for a while and then it fades because people are being overcautious and those infected gets proper treatment. In China the virus has allready started fading according to the WHO.

Let's all then hope for the best. In the mean time: WASH YOUR HANDS FOLKS!
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 292
    Maybe I don’t know what you mean by MSM but CNN has had this information about washing your hands and low probabilities Of people becoming infected on their site for weeks. 

Amazing how people actually believe the fat tangerine when he says thing a like CNN is an enemy of the people.  
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    edited March 2020

:sigh:

1) Surgical masks don't help as much, but help stop some droplets and minimize face touching. "Better than nothing" 

2) n95 or better respirator masks absolutely DO, and are part of required PPE for heathcare workers. Fit is important. 

3) The "virus is smaller than filtration size" argument is made by people ignorant of transmission methodology. The virus CANNOT travel on its own. It requires water droplets, which ARE caught by the mask. 

Again, N95 or better respiratory masks are proven effective against this virus when worn properly. 
    Post edited by mattsavard on

• Options
    Concerts scheduled for March will definitely happen. Worst they would do is put chairs in GA section to reduce contacts. I really don't see why sporting events would remain on while concerts in the same venues wouldn't. Yes, more people from abroad means more contamination risks, but still. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,641
    Concerts scheduled for March will definitely happen. Worst they would do is put chairs in GA section to reduce contacts. I really don't see why sporting events would remain on while concerts in the same venues wouldn't. Yes, more people from abroad means more contamination risks, but still. 

I think the expectation at that point is that the sporting events could be canceled.   Agree that we have no idea if it will get that bad but just saying. 

• Options
    As I fully expected, The National has canceled their two Japan concerts that were scheduled for March 17 & 18. I'm still very hopeful that the Toronto PJ kickoff is going to happen.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,729
    You have no clue what you are talking about. 
  • Options
    PD279656PD279656 Posts: 119
    I can't wait to get up to rail from the back of GA by just continually sneezing! 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,567
    PD279656 said:
    I can't wait to get up to rail from the back of GA by just continually sneezing! 
    Lol
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2020
    PB11041 said:

You are missing the point that it is not about as much the science but what government and organizations are going to do.  
    when totally ill informed people panic, so to do people who make decisions.  See, Prime Minister Japan, who confounded his medical officials in his own country.  So yeah, I am not missing the point.   The upside of a highly connected society, information spreads rapidly.  The downside, people are not good consumers of information and react to headlines and images.  

Thus far, one person, just one, Dick Pound arbitrarily speculated about the Olympics and news organizations tripped over themselves to speculate about the cancellation of the Olympics even though every other reliable source had contradicted Dick Pound.

Post edited by PB11041 on

• Options
    PD279656 said:
    That is SO wrong.....but funny.
    Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 11, 2003)
    Boston, Massachusetts (September 29, 2004)
    Boston, Massachusetts (May 25, 2006)
    Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
    Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018)
    Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,287

1) Surgical masks don't help as much, but help stop some droplets and minimize face touching. "Better than nothing" 

2) n95 or better respirator masks absolutely DO, and are part of required PPE for heathcare workers. Fit is important. 

3) The "virus is smaller than filtration size" argument is made by people ignorant of transmission methodology. The virus CANNOT travel on its own. It requires water droplets, which ARE caught by the mask. 

Again, N95 or better respiratory masks are proven effective against this virus when worn properly. 
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.amp.html
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696

Someone here knows a wee bit too much about face masks!

- Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    I just travelled this week and wasn’t sure what to expect. I was observing people’s behavior to see how/if it has changed. Aside from a few masks it was business as usual. People were wiping seats, trays, etc. on the planes, but that should be done anyway. No evidence of panic or disruption at all. At least not on the flights or at the airports I was at. We’ll see. Fluid situation. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.amp.html
    Important quote: 
    “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if health care providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

I've had this debate many times over.. here's how it goes: 

1) You send that link. 
    2) I ask "If the masks don't work, why is the Surgeon General so desperate to get them in the hands of healthcare workers? Why are the mandatory PPE by the CDC? Why did he tell Hospitals to no longer discard expired masks, but keep them because of a shortage?"

Then we go down the rabbit hole:

3) Someone says "That's because they work for healthcare workers but not for the general public"
    4) Then I say "So these thin paper-esque masks carry Geofencing technology that turns them off when outside hospitals?"
    5) Then someone who actually knows what they're talking about chimes in and says "They work, but the public doesn't need them because they're not in close contact with infected people like Docs/Nurses are, and if the public buys them all, then there aren't any for Docs/Nurses"
    6) Then I ask "So Dr. John was stopping by WalMart on the way to his shift but me grabbing that 5-pack means he has to go without? It's a different supply channel. And if someone sneezed on me in line somewhere and I had this mask on with eye-pro, would it stop it?"
    7) They admit that yes it would help but that's still not as close contact as Dr's and Nurses... etc etc. 

They absolutely DO help when worn properly. Period. 

CDC Guidelines for treating patients with COVID19:
    "Use respiratory protection (i.e., a respirator) that is at least as protective as a fit-tested NIOSH-certified disposable N95 filtering facepiece respirator before entry into the patient room or care area. See appendix for respirator definition."

Respirators are KEY to stopping transmission of Coronavirus to medical staff. 
    "Although the respirator group encountered confirmed cases more often than the unmasked group — more than 730% more often — no one in the respirator group became infected. "

Mis-Information is flat out Dangerous during an epidemic. Please stop spreading it. 

Post edited by mattsavard on

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    I just travelled this week and wasn’t sure what to expect. I was observing people’s behavior to see how/if it has changed. Aside from a few masks it was business as usual. People were wiping seats, trays, etc. on the planes, but that should be done anyway. No evidence of panic or disruption at all. At least not on the flights or at the airports I was at. We’ll see. Fluid situation. 
    Nice to hear. That's how it should be. This is not panic worthy. If everyone simply exercised a few simple precautions it would greatly mitigate the spread of this virus. Unfortunately there are some naysayers and wannabe tough-guys who will go against the grain, likely become spreaders and increase the overall issue created by this virus. 

• Options
    edited March 2020
    PD279656 said:

I laughed :D 

I've got GA for two shows this tour:
    Ottawa: Going with the GF who is 5'3" and semi-claustrophobic so we will be hanging in the back half of GA rocking out. 
    St. Louis: Going with a buddy. Had plans on getting up close (Hadn't had rail since 94) but will see how the bug situation is at that point. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    Innings festival went without a hitch. Spring training baseball games have been packed. Life goes on unabated. More and more concerts are being announced. March madness will go on. NBA and NHL arenas are loaded, and XFL continues to draw attendance.  Just the facts. 

That’s the most shocking part.
This discussion has been closed.