Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    Clapper said:
    NAL but I work with hotel/convention contracts.  If the WHO declares it a global pandemic, I believe that would allow the Force Majeur clause that is standard in our contracts to allow such events to cancel with out penalty to THEM.   If those are standard with the air travel and venues for the band as well, it would likely mean they could cancel at any time prior to the shows without incurring financial damages to themselves or their insurers. The flip side of that is that there is nothing that would aide in the business impacted recouping their monetary loses. Like everyone else, I've never bothered to read the user agreements when booking a flight but I would imagine there is some kind of cancellation policy in place for Force Majeur or "acts of god".  Most hotels will be reasonable with flexing their individual cancellation policies when stuff like this happens because it is beyond your control assuming people aren't dicks when the call the hotel to cancel. 
    it is not simply defining it as a pandemic (a global pandemic is not really a thing, pandemic means it has spread far and wide across geographies) the novel H1N1 influenza of 2009-10 was a pandemic, that did not shut down the world. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,011
    guitar101 said:
    PJNB said:
    There is absolutely no reason to cancel the Canadian part of this tour as it stands right now. I think they need to unfortunately wait till the last minute to make this decision since so much can change. 
    Just because they can wait, doesn’t mean they should. People still have money they can recover from travel costs. They really need to decide soon. 

That doesnt really make sense though.  I cant see them cancelling at this point when no other touring acts or professional sporting events in the current touring routing are doing so.  If things change drastically and we start seeing person to person infections happening, in for example Toronto, then things would change really fast.  If shows are getting cancelled on the spring tour it will most definitely be much closer to the actual shows.
    It wasn’t a request to cancel. But again, being proactive will help more than being reactive. 
    I disagree, they should absolutely be “reactive” in this scenario. Which is why they should & will wait until the last minute to make decisions, so they can react to the latest and best information. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,423
    edited March 2020
    tdawe said:
    guitar101 said:
    PJNB said:
    There is absolutely no reason to cancel the Canadian part of this tour as it stands right now. I think they need to unfortunately wait till the last minute to make this decision since so much can change. 
    Just because they can wait, doesn’t mean they should. People still have money they can recover from travel costs. They really need to decide soon. 

That doesnt really make sense though.  I cant see them cancelling at this point when no other touring acts or professional sporting events in the current touring routing are doing so.  If things change drastically and we start seeing person to person infections happening, in for example Toronto, then things would change really fast.  If shows are getting cancelled on the spring tour it will most definitely be much closer to the actual shows.
    It wasn’t a request to cancel. But again, being proactive will help more than being reactive. 
    I disagree, they should absolutely be “reactive” in this scenario. Which is why they should & will wait until the last minute to make decisions, so they can react to the latest and best information. 
    I have a hard time believing more harm comes from making a decision now rather than mid-tour. In all respects from health and fans $. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    tdawe said:
    guitar101 said:
    PJNB said:

I have a hard time believing more harm comes from making a decision now rather than mid-tour. In all respects from health and fans $. 

But why should they cancel now when its not warranted ?
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    guitar101 said:
    tdawe said:
    guitar101 said:
    PJNB said:

Feel like i’m running in circles. I’m not saying it’s the right thing or what I want, but it is what I believe benefits fans more than cancelling mid-tour or the day before.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    no tickets, no worries
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,065
    guitar101 said:
    tdawe said:
    guitar101 said:
    PJNB said:

Feel like i’m running in circles. I’m not saying it’s the right thing or what I want, but it is what I believe benefits fans more than cancelling mid-tour or the day before.
    I'm more confused now too. If its not the right thing, and there's a good chance they wouldn't even need to. Then how would it benefit anyone, especially the fans, to prematurely cancel a show if it is not needed?
    Many of us have already made plans, canceling now or 3 weeks from now isn't going to make much of a difference. But canceling now only to find out 3 weeks from now we didnt need to, that would suck.
  • Options
    Okay. Well I have nothing else to add to what I have said. Hypotheticals are stupid anyways. Pearl Jam will do whatever they want in the end. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Wilco87Wilco87 Posts: 41
    Gigaton facemasks. Huge marketing opportunity.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,778
    85 uk cases now. By the time the tour is meant to be here it will be everywhere
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,064
    edited March 2020
    85 uk cases now. By the time the tour is meant to be here it will be everywhere
    It maybe or it may not be. Look at China's numbers the last couple of weeks with the decline. Yes they took extreme measures but the tour is 4 months away. So much can happen. I get the anxiety with this stuff and the waiting game is a tough one but I am pretty confident this summer will be ok tour wise and health wise. Fingers crossed and hope I am right. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Wilco87 said:
    Gigaton facemasks. Huge marketing opportunity.
     Unfortunately, it does tie-in to Climate Change. One of the predictions has always been increased virus activity with warming global temps..

2013 - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130128142847.htm
    The American public can expect to add earlier and more severe flu seasons to the fallout from climate change, according to a research study
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 510
    ( I don't know, but I'm checking alot, to see if they are going to postpone these spring dates... Hope not. )
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    For those reading the headline from Dick Pound and the shock that would be canceling the summer Olympics here is the latest update from the president of the IOC. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/thomas-bach-ioc-president-tokyo-olympics-1.5485283

"Neither the word cancellation nor the word postponement was even mentioned"

Asked how he could be so confident the July 24-Aug. 9 Olympics will go ahead as scheduled, Bach replied: "Because we talk to the experts."

"We are a sports organization and we follow the advice of the World Health Organization," Bach said, referring to the United Nations agency based around 60 kilometres away in Geneva.

• Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited March 2020
    15 Days until we fly out for Ottawa... 

My cancellation abilities are: 
    Airfare is nonrefundable with Delta
    Ottawa Hotel: 1 of two nights can be cancelled
    VIA Rail Train to QC: Can be cancelled with small Fee
    Quebec City Hotel: 2 of 2 nights can be cancelled
    Nashville Hotel: 1 of 1 night can be cancelled
    St Louis Hotel: 1 of 2 nights can be cancelled

If the shows are on, and hopefully they will be, we are going. If they are cancelled I'll be heartbroken but should be able to recoup all but about $1400 of our expenses. A chunk of change, but not the end of the world. 

Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Cridder said:
    no tickets, no worries

• Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    15 Days until we fly out for Ottawa... 

My cancellation abilities are: 
    Airfare is nonrefundable with Delta
    Ottawa Hotel: 1 of two nights can be cancelled
    VIA Rail Train to QC: Can be cancelled with small Fee
    Quebec City Hotel: 2 of 2 nights can be cancelled
    Nashville Hotel: 1 of 1 night can be cancelled
    St Louis Hotel: 1 of 2 nights can be cancelled

If the shows are on, and hopefully they will be, we are going. If they are cancelled I'll be heartbroken but should be able to recoup all but about $1400 of our expenses. A chunk of change, but not the end of the world. 

https://www.today.com/money/coronavirus-travel-us-airline-cancellation-fee-waiver-policies-t175016

A lot of airlines - including Delta have made temporary policy updates to allow for cancellation or changes during this time.  Full list of updates by airline and their specific policies in the article. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 587
    100%.  Non-refundable doesn’t really mean nonrefundable when it comes to this situation. 

Hell, i was able to get everything back for Raleigh after explaining the case to the appropriate mgrs. Even read some of the letter PJ put out.
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    The more you guys continue to panic and talk about it, the more ammo you're giving them to be over-reactionary and cancel the tour.  So, for the sake of all of us...  Shut the fuck up about it!
  • Options
    If they were leaning towards canceling, they prob wouldn't have tweeted about the behind the stage seats available in Quebec. 
    2 weeks from today, I expect to be pre-gaming for the tour kickoff in Toronto. 
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,509
    The more you guys continue to panic and talk about it, the more ammo you're giving them to be over-reactionary and cancel the tour.  So, for the sake of all of us...  Shut the fuck up about it!
    They’re going to decide what they decide based on the best available information from the appropriate organizations and experts.  They are not going to decide anything based on this thread.  In any case people are free to state their opinions here.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,937
    Humans never cease to amaze me. More importantly, disappoint me.  The price gouging for sanitizers, Lysol wipes, masks(which are ineffective) is absolutely disgusting and fucking embarrassing. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,934
    You have to take into consideration that Miami is expecting roughly 200,000 people from over 105 different countries for the festival. You cant compare this situation to a PJ tour in the U.S. 
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Yeah, they already cancelled Ultra in Abu Dhabi. Obviously a very different part of the world, but it sets a precedent of sorts. 

As a Miami resident I’m mixed on this. I get the concerns with the vast international travel Ultra brings, but the economic upside is considerable. Far, far greater than any Pearl Jam show.  Based on the city’s request and the fact that they have the right to revoke the permit, I’m guessing they postpone or cancel. 
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Great White North Posts: 299
    Clapper said:
    If the WHO declares it a global pandemic.
    I was thinking the same thing this morning. If the WHO declares a pandemic, this tour is done.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Wow. They delayed the launch of the new Bond movie from April to November, due to covid. 
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    I dunno...I would think the 1st Leg dates would be fine with the possible exception of cities where there are confirmed cases beyond statistically insignificant.

I’d be more concerned about the second Leg. The number of confirmed cases there is rising rapidly. Still weeks to go before I would guess a decision on those dates needs to be made.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    Wow. They delayed the launch of the new Bond movie from April to November, due to covid. 
    Straight up financial move. They want those international numbers to be strong. 
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    PJNB said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Straight up financial move. They want those international numbers to be strong. 
    The Bond movies are huge in China, so that makes sense.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

This discussion has been closed.