Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    If you can't tell by my post count, I don't do the social media thing very much. One of the main reasons is that it's so hard to sift through the bullshit and fear mongering in attempts to make you either click something or buy something.  Sometimes I miss the old blissfully ignorant days.. like when I wouldn't even know Wuhan China existed unless I went to the old encyclopedia or atlas and looked in the W section. Back then I feel like something like this would fizzle out without ever being sensationalized - life would go on without the unnecessary fear.  Now it's shoved down your throat and information tends to travel by whatever's news worth (aka fear worthy).   

Unfortunately social media has the ability to pressure groups and politicians into making rash decisions.  Fortunately, along with public perception, those same politicians are also just as concerned with money.  I just hope they realize the amount of money to their economy that would be lost will be enough to out weight needing to gain public perception by imposing ridiculous large gathering/travel bans (ex the CDN government felt the public pressure on the railroad barricades until ultimately the money spoke. I know that also caused some panic around here).   

I do have some experience in microbiology so I can appreciate the impact that bacteria and viruses can have. I understand that quarantine is necessary for some cases/areas with inadequate health care but some statements I've seen recently seem a bit over the top. I believe certain demographics need to be more cautious with their exposure to ANY strain of bacteria/virus but to blanket this treatment to the mass population is nuts. 

It's not hard to find some quick info to ease my mind, I just hope others are as critically thinking as we need to be in this era. 

We've all survived the deadly outbreaks of the past but do you remember just how deadly they were?  Just a couple of quick stats;  
    • SARS had a fatality rate that was 5 times what the COVID rate is at this stage.  Squashed out within months with any major disruptions.
    • H1N1 killed over 12,000 people in the US during the first year in transmission, infected 60 million in the US, and hospitalized a quarter million of them.  It spread so quickly we just gave up and it's now just another seasonal flu that circulates.  Not sexy enough for the media anymore though. 
    • Speaking of the flu, it's killed at least 18,000 Americans so far THIS season according to the CDC.    
    Wash your hands and don't be afraid to live your life. Read into things and you'll realized that the US cases/deaths hitting the news this week are all from the same nursing home in the Seattle area which is now refusing visitors. To my knowledge, most nursing homes have similar protocol when the common flu/cold hit their complex due to the age and compromised immune system of residents. The media likes to leave those details out of the headline though.     

If you don't understand a story then please don't make statements like "NCAA is considering playing to empty stadiums" when there is only a group lobbying for that to happen. Or that one guy thinks the Olympics shouldn't go on.  Some people believe this shit and run with it.. that's when we see things snow ball and the old school game of telephone happens.  

I'll be at my shows and travelling both worry & mask free.  I'll do my best not to take advantage this hype and use a few fake coughs/sneezes to gain more personal space in the airports/pit but no promises  :)
    So you have experience in microbiology . . . 

One way to alleviate transmission of a contagious virus is to limit large groups of people congregating.  Eliminate people sharing air space on public transportation - any form of public transportation.

It's common sense.  I'm not saying this is at this level, but it could be very quickly.  Nothing wrong with prevention.  
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,735
    The news is trying to get people to read their scary headlines. I understand this is serious but don’t freak out people. And don’t believe the idiot in the White House. The positive spin to this crisis is that it will help get trump not elected. Guy is a total moron.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,894
    The news is trying to get people to read their scary headlines. I understand this is serious but don’t freak out people. And don’t believe the idiot in the White House. The positive spin to this crisis is that it will help get trump not elected. Guy is a total moron.
    I'm a germophobe. If you told me that if someone with Corona coughs on me directly, in my face, Trump will not get re-elected, I would take that deal in a second, no hesitation. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I'm a germophobe. If you told me that if someone with Corona coughs on me directly, in my face, Trump will not get re-elected, I would take that deal in a second, no hesitation. 
    That's brave, thank you for taking one for humanity ;) 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    edited March 2020

We've all survived the deadly outbreaks of the past but do you remember just how deadly they were?  Just a couple of quick stats;  
    • SARS had a fatality rate that was 5 times what the COVID rate is at this stage.  Squashed out within months with any major disruptions.
    • H1N1 killed over 12,000 people in the US during the first year in transmission, infected 60 million in the US, and hospitalized a quarter million of them.  It spread so quickly we just gave up and it's now just another seasonal flu that circulates.  Not sexy enough for the media anymore though. 
    • Speaking of the flu, it's killed at least 18,000 Americans so far THIS season according to the CDC.    
    Wash your hands and don't be afraid to live your life. Read into things and you'll realized that the US cases/deaths hitting the news this week are all from the same nursing home in the Seattle area which is now refusing visitors. To my knowledge, most nursing homes have similar protocol when the common flu/cold hit their complex due to the age and compromised immune system of residents. The media likes to leave those details out of the headline though.     

If you don't understand a story then please don't make statements like "NCAA is considering playing to empty stadiums" when there is only a group lobbying for that to happen. Or that one guy thinks the Olympics shouldn't go on.  Some people believe this shit and run with it.. that's when we see things snow ball and the old school game of telephone happens.  

You had me until you compared it to the flu, a virus we know much more about and have a vaccine for.  The fear of Corona is the unknown, but yeah in a few months it will most likely have faded away.  
    So here is an example of distorted information.  The H1N1 pandemic of 2009-10 did not have a vaccine available until about 7 months into that in October of 2009.  The first mass doses were not available until December.  

Flu vaccines for seasonal flu (of which novel H1N1 is now a permanent seasonal strain - and quite ferocious still) are roughly 40% to 60% effective.   You should still get them, but they are not a cure all.

The most likely real dilemma of COVID-19 is that it is undoubtedly going to put a strain on medical resources for the coming months, and that it will become a permanent seasonal virus that has highly negative impact rates on people above 65 years of age.  

The best case scenario is that COVID-19 burns out, but that is ridiculously unlikely.   So the most long term problem on the horizon is that seasonal influenza and seasonal corona virus will both be occurring simultaneously which puts a strain on containment of new novel viruses in either families.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,052
    edited March 2020
    If you can't tell by my post count, I don't do the social media thing very much. One of the main reasons is that it's so hard to sift through the bullshit and fear mongering in attempts to make you either click something or buy something.  Sometimes I miss the old blissfully ignorant days.. like when I wouldn't even know Wuhan China existed unless I went to the old encyclopedia or atlas and looked in the W section. Back then I feel like something like this would fizzle out without ever being sensationalized - life would go on without the unnecessary fear.  Now it's shoved down your throat and information tends to travel by whatever's news worth (aka fear worthy).   

Unfortunately social media has the ability to pressure groups and politicians into making rash decisions.  Fortunately, along with public perception, those same politicians are also just as concerned with money.  I just hope they realize the amount of money to their economy that would be lost will be enough to out weight needing to gain public perception by imposing ridiculous large gathering/travel bans (ex the CDN government felt the public pressure on the railroad barricades until ultimately the money spoke. I know that also caused some panic around here).   

I do have some experience in microbiology so I can appreciate the impact that bacteria and viruses can have. I understand that quarantine is necessary for some cases/areas with inadequate health care but some statements I've seen recently seem a bit over the top. I believe certain demographics need to be more cautious with their exposure to ANY strain of bacteria/virus but to blanket this treatment to the mass population is nuts. 

It's not hard to find some quick info to ease my mind, I just hope others are as critically thinking as we need to be in this era. 

I'll be at my shows and travelling both worry & mask free.  I'll do my best not to take advantage this hype and use a few fake coughs/sneezes to gain more personal space in the airports/pit but no promises  :)
    I agree with that last paragraph, I’ll do the same. 
    But it isn’t far-fetched to worry about March madness or the olympics or these shows. Japan is pushing to close all schools for a month, their officials have also stated fear for the olympics. This isn’t 1 dude spreading fear on social media, this is real.
    Timing really couldn’t be worse for the spring tour. With the number of communal cases and deaths slowly rising that means it could be a big issue in a week or 2, just before the start of the tour. 
    Now I personally believe that won’t be the case, that in a year from now we’ll look back are resize this is even 1/10 the problem of what the yearly flu is. But the truth is we just don’t know, and if my uneducated guess is wrong, all those things can easily happen.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,328

One way to alleviate transmission of a contagious virus is to limit large groups of people congregating.  Eliminate people sharing air space on public transportation - any form of public transportation.

It's common sense.  I'm not saying this is at this level, but it could be very quickly.  Nothing wrong with prevention.  
    You cant transmit Corona via air. So sharing air space means nothing. Thanks for playing fear mongering 101 today.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 694

You cant transmit Corona via air. So sharing air space means nothing. Thanks for playing fear mongering 101 today.
    And thank you for fact misleading. Droplets in a sneeze or cough, that NEVER happens, through the air is how it transmits.  Calling fear mongering while misleading facts is evil and cruel. Some might call that trolling. 
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,328
    YAKIMATSU said:

And thank you for fact misleading. Droplets in a sneeze or cough, that NEVER happens, through the air is how it transmits.  Calling fear mongering while misleading facts is evil and cruel. Some might call that trolling. 
    You have to sneeze or cough. Which transmits via moisture or droplets. You cannot breath it on to someone else; thus, not transmittable via air. Must be in the form of droplets 
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,010
    YAKIMATSU said:

You have to sneeze or cough. Which transmits via moisture or droplets. You cannot breath it on to someone else; thus, not transmittable via air. Must be in the form of droplets 
    So if we're making out and you sneeze or cough directly into my mouth, it would be fair to say that the moisture/droplets were not transmitted via air. Otherwise....?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    Stop freaking out, people.  No wonder we have Trump as President.
  • Options
    Triberjay25Triberjay25 Detroit Posts: 115
    All events in Miami are a go. Mayor Carlos Giminez announced an hour ago - 

“We’re not canceling any major events in Miami-Dade County, such as Ultra, following the guidance from Florida’s Surgeon General on #Coronavirus.”
    03/20/94 - Ann Arbor
    09/22/96 - Toledo
    10/16/14 - Detroit
    09/26/21 - Dana Point
    10/01/21 - Dana Point
    10/02/21 - Dana Point
    05/06/22 - Los Angeles
    05/07/22 - Los Angeles 
    07/03/22 - Stockholm
    07/05/22 - Copenhagen
    09/08/22 - Toronto 
    09/16/22 - Nashville
    09/18/22 - St. Louis
    09/20/22 - OKC
    09/05/23 - Chicago 
    09/07/23 - Chicago 
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,933

“We’re not canceling any major events in Miami-Dade County, such as Ultra, following the guidance from Florida’s Surgeon General on #Coronavirus.”
    I saw this on the news yesterday. This is one of the biggest festivals in the world. We are about to see roughly 200,000 people from over 105 different countries coming into our city in the next couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    Ray J. T. said:

I saw this on the news yesterday. This is one of the biggest festivals in the world. We are about to see roughly 200,000 people from over 105 different countries coming into our city in the next couple of weeks. 

There was a similar announcement in Toronto yesterday.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    guitar101 said:
    Ray J. T. said:

Good to know since we're planning to travel up there for the 3/18 show. 
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    edited March 2020
    sp1984 said:
    guitar101 said:
    Ray J. T. said:

Good to know since we're planning to travel up there for the 3/18 show. 

I wasnt too concerned, but it was reassuring to hear this on the radio this morning during my commute.
    Post edited by guitar101 on
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,575

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,017
    on2legs said:

And he got re-elected!!
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    on2legs said:

LOL!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Ray J. T. said:

And yet the city has such a love-hate relationship with it. At least they realized their mistake in moving it to Virginia Key. That was a disaster. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,907
    on2legs said:

• Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,933
    Lostpawn said:
    Ray J. T. said:

And yet the city has such a love-hate relationship with it. At least they realized their mistake in moving it to Virginia Key. That was a disaster. 
     It is completely ridiculous the love/hate relationship that the city has with this festival. Every year you have major headlines revolving around the event.  Residents of Key Biscayne made sure that it was never going to happen again after last year. The fact that there is only one way in and out of there created such a nightmare with traffic alone, among all the other issues. 
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 649
    Arnold Classic 2020 in Ohio cancelled.
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 649
    Also talks going on about cancelling the Rolling Stones tour.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,058
    The Arnold Classic is still going on but because of all of the international fans being brought in they cancelled that part of the show. 250,000 people were expected to attend. 

Where are the talks about Rolling Stones tour being cancelled?
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,394
    matt84 said:
    Arnold Classic 2020 in Ohio cancelled.
    My daughter's cheer team was supposed to compete there and we were told that the cheer competition was cancelled
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,868
    I wonder how soon PJ will give a thumbs up or thumbs down on the spring tour. I've got to imagine they have to make a decision pretty darn soon. Two weeks until the first show.

Communicating has always been not good from the PJ camp but I feel like they need to say something soon, even if it is "we're examining the situation".
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,213
    I hope they let us know soon as well. I am staying positive that everything will go on as planned.
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,607
    Sure hope they still happen!  
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,058
    edited March 2020
    There is absolutely no reason to cancel the Canadian part of this tour as it stands right now. I think they need to unfortunately wait till the last minute to make this decision since so much can change. 
This discussion has been closed.